You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts?

edited October 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Ok.

Not sure reads have tooooo much to say in this.  Although I've noticed villain can be relatively aggressive with non-nutmaking hands, but has folded to raises on a number of previous occassions.  This is the first time ive seen them min-raise the turn like this so tbh I havent got a clue what it means.

Question is the turn here...  Do we flat the bet and let him bluff a river if he has nothing?  Do we reraise to charge Kx hands... but risk losing our customer  or secret option number 3 - fold.  It looks like a higher set.
Thoughts on a postcard please!
JJ0001 Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £92.50
sikas Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £253.34
  Your hole cards

gazza127 Raise   £3.00 £4.50 £279.84
jimmynoleg Fold        
XX Call   £3.00 £7.50 £308.07
varney Call   £3.00 £10.50 £183.43
JJ0001 Fold        
sikas Fold        
Flop

• K

gazza127 Bet   £6.00 £16.50 £273.84
XX Call   £6.00 £22.50 £302.07
varney Fold        
Turn

gazza127 Bet   £13.00 £35.50 £260.84
XX Raise   £26.00 £61.50 £276.07
gazza127

Comments

• edited October 2013
    It does look a lot like 7s or 9s, doesn't it? He won't have a set of kings here as he would have in all likelihood raised it pre (unless he is playing it strangely), and he won't have any other pair that doesn't hit the board. There are no draws out there (apart from the unlikely flush).

I am inclined to let my 2s go at this point, because calling only gives us a similarly difficult decision to make on the river, only it will cost us more at that point to find out. I don't think re-raising is an option either.

He could, of course, be raising here to throw you out of your comfort zone, but it seems like an odd card to do this on.

I think you fold here.

I'm no expert by any means, but they are just my initial thoughts :)

Hope this is of use to you.
  • edited October 2013

100bb deep obviously just getting it in here. This deep I dunno - I think my standard would be to 3bet/fold to  without any more reads. I want to 3-bet to get value from their draws/weaker 2 pair hands. But I think if villain reshoves I think we'll be against a better set far too often.

• edited October 2013
    Dry boards OOP are hard to play against good oppenents. So much meta game stuff comes into play. He could well know that you either have a set or are likely good enough to be  folding and so be applying a ton of pressure with a wide range of hands. You can make an uberexploitable fold here as long as you know that its exploitable when you make it. Personally im not not folding a set, but I am a station in these spots

He could be minraising in order to be able to check behind on the river too.

Cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013
    is he a reg?

seems like such a BS cheap bluff line to me but we need to know more on how villain thinks about poker, whether it seems relevant or not .. even if its an observation or 'feeling' on how they veiw you..

imo if they were bluffing id expect to be raisin the flop rather than the turn and his sizing is weird. id expect a much larger raise from sets as surley he'd want more value. He could be unsure how to play his Kx so has taken an unauthadox line maybe for info/trying to get to showdow.. and thats why i asked if hes a reg as is a weird line for villain to take-

3bet folding would be the worst option followed closely by folding.. the best line would probally to be jus call and chck call river and take a note- id be pretty annoyed once we've taken what seems a passive line with a set and would hate it to go chck chck on the river but theres not too much value in raising turn and will put u in a worst spot if 4bet- u dont make sets often so folding would be gay so keep in his air and call down imo-

• edited October 2013
    Playing very deep gives it a different angle. As above, think I call that min raise and check call any river. If it is set over set then it's unfortunate but folding here would need very specific villain reads I feel.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thoughts?:
    is he a reg? seems like such a BS cheap bluff line to me but we need to know more on how villain thinks about poker, whether it seems relevant or not .. even if its an observation or 'feeling' on how they veiw you..  imo if they were bluffing id expect to be raisin the flop rather than the turn and his sizing is weird. id expect a much larger raise from sets as surley he'd want more value. He could be unsure how to play his Kx so has taken an unauthadox line maybe for info/trying to get to showdow.. and thats why i asked if hes a reg as is a weird line for villain to take- 3bet folding would be the worst option followed closely by folding.. the best line would probally to be jus call and chck call river and take a note- id be pretty annoyed once we've taken what seems a passive line with a set and would hate it to go chck chck on the river but theres not too much value in raising turn and will put u in a worst spot if 4bet- u dont make sets often so folding would be gay so keep in his air and call down imo-
    Posted by LnarinOO
    I don't know if he's a reg or not, but I cant remember ever playing against him before - i didnt have a single note on him.
  • edited October 2013
    I really don't like just calling and then checking river. I'm not sure this villain will continue with a bluff OTR and I see a lot of bad players just min-raising turn IP trying to get cheap showdown and I certainly don't want that to happen when I'm so strong. The other option to 3-betting the turn would be to just flat and then donk river so that they can't just get cheap showdown with w/e they have. I'd rather have a 2 pair hand like K9 though for this play. 22 just seems too strong to just flat the turn.

Not sure why you think 3bet/folding the turn is the worse option Lnarin00. If we 3bet are we getting it in then? Seems like getting it in after we 3bet is going to be a mistake as even fishy players will slow down with their 2 pairs when facing this sort of aggression (but not slow down enough to ever fold!)
  • edited October 2013
    Yep... many of it has been said.  I did end up just calling as there were a few hands that beat me which would play the hand probably exactly the same.  No two pairs really got there and it doesnt make much sense for him to be raising the flush draw in position.  Couldnt help but feel it was some sort of wierd bluff or he had me crushed.  I had planned to call off a river bet but then.....
    Turn

gazza127 Bet   £13.00 £35.50 £260.84
    XX Raise   £26.00 £61.50 £276.07
    gazza127 Call   £13.00 £74.50 £247.84
    River

gazza127 Check        
    XX Check        
    gazza127 Show

XX Muck
    • Q
    • K

gazza127 Win Three 2s £72.70   £320.54
    He was infact min raising to avoid an awkward call on the river.  Missed out on a street of value.

The line was strong but I was never folding.  Just surprised he popped up with KQ.  Would donk leading the river with a small bet be really bad in these kinds of positions?

• edited October 2013
    no i dont like 3b GII obvs as never goin to be good when called jus hate 3bet folding a set... thats why i would be flat calling here.. i see no value in raising, he's just gonna dump every worst hand he wasnt sure how to play and obv 4bet better with possible bluffs. were in a spot where we're WAWB 3betting for value and folding to a 4bet seems like madness to me..so i woulldnt 3bet atall
    sayin that you dont think villain would continue his bluffs would be incorrect as at least we would give him the opportunity -

i actually agree that maybe donking the river may better, its a close one as id hate it to go chck chck like i said but im trying to think what our hand would look like to villian- in game i may choose to take the read and write a note to try understand them more, as still i hate to b/fold a set vs an unknown - 

an interesting point which i may have to think abot more to work out which is the best line but im definatley not 3betting the turn - it seems worse than folding to me .. 

as im writing that im trying to think of our sizing on river if we do lead - and im not sure villain would call worse so i think we would have to go for a chck call as passive as it may seem.. I think more on this......

• edited October 2013
    on the outcome i think its tricky but do you really miss out on value?? again 3betting the turn seems pointless and achives nothing

of course you can never fold .. but again what value does donking really do- what hands pay off a river value bet by us, 

i still think id snap any river bet and take a note rather than donk leading , we thought it was for cheaper showdown and got confirmation- playing deep poker efffectivley requires solid reads so i still think this is the correct line.. 
  • edited October 2013
    flat turn is best

u gotta have specific reads on villian that they bluff or play draws or even Kx this way

raising just folds out a lot you beat

river is always a c/c and u want them to continue the bluff or bluff the missed draws or overvalue Kx like on turn even though it one of those silly info/protection raises that always checks behind on rivers :S

• edited October 2013
    played fine if u call the turn n check call the river   would be played so differ if u was in pos
  • edited October 2013
    playing deep poker efffectivley requires solid reads so i still think this is the correct line.. 
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Really disagree with this. Obviously it's ideal and great to have solid reads when playing deep poker but it's by no means neccessary and we are missing out on so much value by playing "scared" poker when deep just cause we don't have reads.

And without reads in this spot I'm more than happy to use my judgement based on what I think this min-r means by the avg unknown player on skypoker. And also by how they would react to a 3-bet. Would this player have folded KQ to a 3-bet OTT? I dunno, maybe. But people don't like to fold TP2ndK especially not after they've raised and put more money in the pot with it. If he does min-r then fold to the 3et OTT we can take a good note from it anyway and try and exploit that in the future. And if he has a 2 pair hand whether it be K7, 79 or K9 I really don't see him folding to a 3-bet. Also if they have some diamond draw they're going to call the 3-bet as well.

But, a random unknown is most likely only going to be shoving here with his sets. And thus we can exploit that by 3-bet/folding 22. It really doesn't surprise me villain showed up with what he did though and it always baffles me how so many players let villains like this get away with making plays like this.
  • edited October 2013
    strange that you disagree on that?? no where here has playing scared poker come into my thoughts of the hand- we are way ahead/ way behind so 3bttin the turn is pointless due to such a small amount of hands we can extract value from - didnt say anywhere that it was totally neccasary but imo were not missing out on value- playing deeper poker DOES require specific reads imo - you have to know what level of presure can be applied and what your villain is capable of fold etc..  
    yes we have a set but we dont know villan has KQ at this point - this line is soo bluffy aswel.

you said OTT your standard here would be to 3bet fold but this to me is by far the worst play when theres no value in raising and fold out everysingle worst hand, and also force us to fold a set?? how can that be good ?

i think we may veiw poker in a different way in some spots but your statndard lines are not standard to me.
  • edited October 2013
    To be honest, when a random min-raises me on the turn my initial reaction isn't to think "This is most likely to mean a weak hand that wants me to stop betting". I'm thinking it's someone that's very happy with their hand.

So I agree that 3-betting the turn is bad, especially if we're just hoping that someone now stations us down. A second ago we were saying that they've min-raised because they want us to stop putting money in. How does that lead us to 3-betting? We just make them fold, surely?

Anyway, if he's bluffing we don't want him to fold and if he's value-raising better, we don't want to pay him more than we need to. Until we have specific reads I think call turn, check-call river is best.

When we do have specific reads that the min-raise on the turn is someone trying to stop us betting, then calling turn and donking river is good. I think that really does require a specific read on a villain and we shouldn't be assuming that this is more likely than the alternatives.

We also have the problem that if the villain is min-raising with worse value hands on the turn that he's happy with, there's a good chance that he's overvaluing those hands and may 4-bet jam his two-pairs. If we're 3-bet-folding against an unknown, this is going to be the situation a fair proportion of the time.

So I agree with Lnarin00. Call turn and check-call river. I don't like 3-bet-folding the turn.
  • edited October 2013
    How do you play KK, 77, 99 here OTT then? Obiously the higher the set the more likely we're in the way ahead situation but I have to assume with all my sets that we are good OTT unless I see a reason to suggest otherwise. Being min-r OTT here is certainly not something that's going to make me fear that I may not be good. If your flatting with 22 because you don't think worse will call a 3bet then do you think worse will call a 3bet with 77 or 99?

And do you actually think villain is going to min-r/fold all his 2 pair hands on the turn? I don't think so. And as I said if is he min-r folding then I can use that to my advantage later on. But right now I want to play for stacks and get villain to put more money in the pot with his 2 pair hands and w/e else he may have that's weaker than our hand. BTW my standard isn't necessarily to 3-bet fold the turn. It's one of 2 good options; the other as I mentioned before is flatting and then leading the river. (big on non-diamonds, smaller on diamonds) - I just think the way it was played is the worst option and has allowed villain to get away cheaply. 

And I still think it's "scared" poker when we're not playing our hand optimally just because we don't have any reads. I'm not saying I don't agree it's good to play deep when we have reads but we can still play w/o reads by guessing how the avg player will react to certain situations. For example in Lambert's thread recently where he bluff-raises with a T high fd and gutshot - he knows the avg player won't be going broke with anything less than 2 pair whilst playing deep so can bluff-raise and expect it to be profitable overall. Obviously occasionally he will find himself up against a calling station or someone that played deceptively with a strong hand but that doesn't change the fact it will be +ev overall. Here I think the avg player will either call a 3-bet with worse or will call our donk lead with a wide range that we beat. You seem to disagree though and think that when we 3-bet the turn villain is only continuing with sets + very few worse hands?
  • edited October 2013
    We also have the problem that if the villain is min-raising with worse value hands on the turn that he's happy with, there's a good chance that he's overvaluing those hands and may 4-bet jam his two-pairs. If we're 3-bet-folding against an unknown, this is going to be the situation a fair proportion of the time. 
    Raising a 2 pair hand OTT isn't overvaluing their hand. I expect an unknown will think it's good but then facing a 3bet will start to have doubts (but not enough to fold) and I can't imagine an unknown then shoving with their hand.

NVM tried to post a hand history but for some reason it doesn't work on my laptop!! (works fine when I use a computer tho to c+p?!) Amyway basically I was slightly more than 200bb deep with another villain and had AA on an board runout of AJ96T. They raised the turn and I 3-bet. They just flat and then called the river.

Villain believes their 2 pair is good so raise the turn but facing a 3-bet they're no longer confident we will call a shove with worse and think we might have better so only call (despite most of their stack being in the middle) - and then they call the river bet as well. So maybe some times we make a mistake by folding if opponent shoves but I think that against their turn shoving range AFTER facing a 3bet we are doing pretty badly with 22. Maybe it's still good enough to call, don't really know but I probably fold.
  • edited October 2013
    The time of your post suggests you were more likely to not have seen mine when you were writing, however I'll answer for myself.

When he min-raises the turn, if we're thinking he's trying keep us from betting the river because he's marginal, then we don't want to 3-bet because he just folds. If that's the argument we're giving, we can't justify 3-betting as a value raise because we have a read suggesting that he doesn't want to put more money in. If that's the read we have, then we should call turn and donk river. However, I don't think that's the assumption we should make of randoms because this line, to my mind, means a hand they're happy with, not a hand that is marginal. I'd usually expect to be called down or to see folds here or on the river from marginal value hands, not raises. (Edited that sentence because it made no sense.)

Do I think most villains are raise-folding the turn with two-pairs? No. However, if we do 3-bet we give them a great chance to get away from any marginal holdings and bluffs. Why do that? If he's holding two-pair there's a great chance he bets the river anyway.

As for it being scared poker because we don't have any reads... well if it is scared poker we're only going to be doing it for one hand. After this hand we're going to have some of those reads, so won't be playing "scared" next time. As it happens, I don't think it is playing scared because I think we should be making different assumptions, readless, about that turn min-raise than the assumptions you seem to think we should be making. The fact you play much higher volume than me suggests you're more likely to be right about those assumptions but I can only speak from my experience on it. I'm sure Lnarin00 will have his own thoughts.
  • edited October 2013
    Alright, change that quoted section to "...there's a fair chance he will overvalue his two-pair hands, after our 3-bet, and will shove." That conveys my meaning better. Just raising turn isn't necessarily overvaluing his two-pairs, I'd agree. 3-betting the turn would be but that doesn't mean they won't.

It's again a question of your experience how often you think that will be the case versus a random. Maybe it won't happen a large proportion of the time, maybe it will. It's definitely worth considering, though.

The thing is, if we make their range for raising the turn:

i) marginal hands and bluffs that will fold to a 3-bet but may bet river (if we're lucky) 
    ii) two-pair hands that will call a 3-bet (that we expect to bet river)
    iii) sets that beat us and will shove or call turn and call river,

Then how high a proportion of the time do they have to overvalue their two-pairs and shove the turn to make 3-bet-folding a worse option than flat-calling the raise?
  • edited October 2013
    im actually really confused as to what your trying to explain ivanovic now u want play for stacks after saying 3bet folding was your best play?? im confused ..

ive never once stated that id be playing this hand scared so not sure where this has  come from- maybe ill start again and bare in mind this is how i would play the hand readless.. 

i stated earlier that this line feels like a cheap BS bluff line as i doubt they have any real value hand- lets face it with stack sizes im 99% certain they would want to get as much money in the middle with anything that beats us or sum random K9 K7 thry may be value owning themselves with.. this would be a general population read but may not be specific to this villian (we dont know).. however what good would a 3bet do here..??

• the min raise could be the villains satndard line with what he belives to be the nuts (clue: he'd be raising for value)

• since i feel his raise is bluffy  and weak - why would we 3bet him off looooooooool

• what if he's over valuing K9 and 4bets- how do you like your 3bet/fold now

• why not give the villain an opportunity to bluff 
    i never once said that the min raise was making me fear im not good?? im really not sure where your getting all this from :)  

from the outset all i have done is question your plan to 3bet fold- to me this is abit idiotic-  

if u read my post i didnt say i hate the idea of donk leading the river however this wasnt even given a thought in your initial post which is where my issues laid- 

however the problem with donk leading is the same as 3betting the turn imo- he folds his bluffs (which i think is the biggest part of his range-given line), raises better value hands and maybe over values his unlikely K9, forcing us to fold again- unless you think bet/calling would be good too??
    again i cant see alot of value here when his line look s like total BS to me- i mean what does our hand look like when we flat call the turn to lead river??? come on guys do we EVER do this as a bluff for him to get his cape out and hero us with some weak holding he most likey has at this point.. again he's just gonna snap us with better and fold worse- (ok u occasionally might meet a donut that willl call worse ) but imo this is NOT LOSING VALUE..!!!

i always want to maxmise my expectaion so goin for 2 streets of villain bluffing is my preferd line rather than making him fold that part of his range- 
  • edited October 2013
    It's interesting that the three of us all have different ideas on what the min-raise on the turn is most likely to mean, readless.

My thoughts are probably heavily skewed by only playing micro-stakes where a min-raise nearly always means the nuts. 

If we donk the river it can only be with the specific belief that the villain is more likely to min-raise the turn to stop us betting the river than he is to be min-raising for value or as a bluff. It's easy to see how this min-raise to stifle the betting could become unbalanced - would you really min-raise a bluff? - but, as I say, I'm used to it being the nuts in less experienced players' hands.

This whole playing "scared" thing is a load of nonsense anyway. Once we're making decisions because we think they're the most +EV available, it makes no difference whether we're wetting ourselves. It's just making those +EV decisions that's sometimes the difficult bit.
  • edited October 2013
    yea im really in two minds on leading the river for that specific reason - and the point is readless we really dont know what villain is thinking

i honestly think ppl are veiwing this hand in reletive hand streghth and jus think OMG we have a set - but for us to really get value on this board is always going to be difficult ESP OOP - the only way i see us getting it in good is if someone has Kx and pings trips ott and goes to town with it value owing themselves or is BLUFFING - 
  • edited October 2013
    I'm quite happy to play for stacks unless my opponent gives me a reason to suggest I'm behind. (which getting shoved on after 3betting the turn would suggest)

As Borin has said I think where we differ is our opinion on what villain's turn min-r meant. Before we even saw results I said that I think a lot of players WHEN DEEP will make this play with a hand that they want to get to cheap showdown with as well as 2 pair hands they think are good. I really don't see it being used as a cheap bluff too often by many players. Obviously if we think villain has a lot of bluffs in his range then calling turn and checking river would be better. That being said we have a lot of worse hands we can "bluff catch with" 22 is not a bluff catching hand here it's a strong value hand so we have to be pretty certain that villain has a bluff AND that he will continue on the river a lot for slow playing 22 here to be good.

Think I did mention donking river in my first post? Anyway again we differ on what we think villain's range is here. I think it's full of 2 pair hands and weak hands that tried to get to cheap showdown. If we bet big here I don't think villain is going to raise with his worse 2 pair hands (but might be more likely do so than shoving OTT over a 3bet since our range is much stronger when we 3bet the turn.

Also there are some villains that like to represent hands even after we've shown aggression. This is because if they are aggressive a lot and do stuff like min-r bluff the turn with garbage, we will want to occasionally play back at that. Best way to go about that would be to 3bet the turn. So if we're doing that as a bluff we absolutely must put value hands in there. If we don't have enough 3bet value hands OTT then when we 3-bet villain will assume us to be bluff heavy and could very well go for a re-bluff. (obviously then we wouldn't fold 22 if we thought that was likely)

I was watching the skypoker cash game the other day where Yong was happy to bluff a lot and noticed that too many players were taking a passive line vs him just to give him some rope. Yet Neil channing took an aggressive line OTR when he min-3bet river with a straight and got Yong to put in a massive 4-bet. (we'll not talk about neil then deciding to fold!!) but the point is that even against really aggressive players you can still play your strong hands strong. Instead you bluff catch with your weaker range (even if that means having to make hero calls with 2nd pair or worse!)
  • edited October 2013
    100bb deep obviously just getting it in here. This deep I dunno - I think my standard would be to 3bet/fold to  without any more reads. I want to 3-bet to get value from their draws/weaker 2 pair hands. But I think if villain reshoves I think we'll be against a better set far too often.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    this is your 1st post - and the one i have massivley different veiws on than you :)

and with the rest i wish i could say i agree but think were on a totally different page mate.. 

your now taking about balancing your 3bet range on OTT - of course we can be bluffing here but imo 22 would be a bluff catcher too in this spot- (if im 3betting for value im going with the hand) this would be my 3bet GII range - the polar opposite would be my 3bet bluff range and everything in between inc 22 would be my bluff catch range- and obvs we have different veiws on that too ;)

unless now ofcourse you think that 22 is going to ever be good enough to 3bet call???
  • edited October 2013
    Ah forgot that was my first post, been so many since then! When I first saw it that's what I thought but after thinking about it more I liked the option of donk leading the river.

I kind of went off on a tangenet when talking about bet/3bet bluffing the turn. I think without any reads bet/3bet bluffing the turn would be spew. My point was in regards to players that like to bluff and that they will:

a) get it in lighter (because they know they're bluffing a lot in this spot
    b) re-bluff us if they think we're capable of rebluffing them.

How is 22 just a bluff catcher? It's the 4th nuts - sets are hard to come by!!! It only becomes a bluff catcher when we have good reason to suspect it is. Until we do we should treat it as the best hand and not be turning it into a bluff catcher which is how we've played it. This is why I was talking about playing scared because it seems baffling that 22 is a bluff catcher here and that you seem to think his range is made up of complete bluffs and better sets!

You haven't said yet how you play the higher sets in this spot either btw :)
  • edited October 2013
    ok so now donk leading the river is your prefered option- does this mean we now agree that 3betting the turn is not the best?? :)

i actualy dont mind donking as i said before ( i think it may be close ) but still feel myself that it holds little value - if we think about how our hand looks in that spot- we bet call turn, then lead the river - ok we get value from 2pairs (but they bet anyway) we (should) lose value from anything less - i mean how can this line ever be worse than KQ

imo instead of making the assuption that villain is looking for cheap showdown and i know going chck chck is horrible - we should  keep his entire range inc bluffs in..

if i was to 3bet theturn it would for value meaning im 3bet calling - or im 3bet folding with air- 
    once i know the villains tendancies you could even de-polarise your 3bet calllng range to K9 etc etc- so as im never gonna 3bet call it off here with 22 - its gonna sit in the middle as part of my bluff catch range and becomes the equivalent as K9- 

surley you can understand this? =)

again 77 oot becomes very similar - i mean your gonna really have to cold deck someone for you to ever extract max value OOP in these spots - everyone so worried about losing all this value that in reality is hardly there- were oop on the driest board ever- unless its specifically KK vs 99 i dont think the money will ever get in - 

in these spots im one for keep broader ranges....
  • edited October 2013
    I don't know whether calling turn and donking river would be better. Against villains particular hand it would have been. It probably seems less strong to play a hand like this then bet/3betting the turn so it might get more stubborn calls from villain (whereas if we 3-bet the turn he will only continue with sets/draws and 2 pair hands)

Again part of our difference of opinion comes from the fact you percieve villain to have air in this spot quite a bit where as I think his range is more sets/2pairs/hands wanting to get cheap showdown.

Also I don't see why we can't have a bet/3bet fold range here that we 3-bet initially for value. It's like when we raise flop with an overpair for value against TP hands/draws but when we get re-raised we can narrow villains range to 2pairs/sets and very strong draws. Here I 3-bet turn with 22 to get value from all his 2 pair hands and hands trying to get to cheap showdown. I think these make up a much bigger part of his range than sets - AND if he does have a set I think he'll show his hand strength too often by shipping the turn (ofc when we 3-bet the turn it seems like we are never folding!) - whereas anything worse than a set I think will just call (or fold) - but I reckon someone taking this line will not then want to fold 2 pair to a 3-bet.
  • edited October 2013
    its the fact i dont want to ever be bet folding a set- having a 3bet folding hand becomes too exploitable imo - 
    its abit different in this context than value betting OP's on the flop ..

what 2 pairs can villain really have- yea i agree sumwhat on the cheap showdown part but thats how the hand gonna go most the time on the board- ot K72 rainbow when were oop

• edited October 2013
    We're 3-bet folding bluffs aren't we? :P I'm not sure how villain would exploit us 3-bet/folding 22. I don't really know how loose villain calls pre-flop but K9, K7s and 79? Probably has 6 combos of K9, 4 of K7s and maybe 8 of 79? Whereas villain only has 3 combos of 77 and 22 of maybe 2 of 99 (assume he 3bets 99 some of the time) and 0 combos of KK (3-bets KK nearly always) - this might be less as well because sometimes he prob raises flop with his set and then he raises more with his set OTT anyway. But we'll stick with 5 combos.

Then there's all the one pair hands KQ/KJ/KT trying to get cheap showdown. Has 25+ combos of them hands. So in total villain has almost 40 combos of hands (that aren't bluffs) that 3-bet the turn that we beat and just 5 combos of hands that we lose to. 

I know we can't be results orientated but villain did in fact have a hand trying to get cheap showdown. OK, so he may have folded the hand to a turn 3-bet but if we see villain do this regularly we can start to massively exploit his tactic by 3-bet bluffing the turn a lot. And with our value hands we can just flat turn and then donk river (this might be a better way to get value out of the KQ type hands as it seems more of a bluffy line)

• edited October 2013
    if i knew someone could 3bet fold here i would exploit them all day long and twice on sundays-- 
    obviously in this instance as OP you can be results orientated and can say what his range is but thats cos we've now seen his hand.. its easy to now have a plan one we've seen result but readless i think it was played correctly 

one last thing is that calling turn and donking river doesnt look bluffy to me? hahaha another disagreement