You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Firstly, i'd like to say i have no idea why i haven't posted on here for a while, i've been on this every day reading other people's diaries etc just couldn't be bothered to log in and post again until now lol. (Good luck to lambert180 btw on going pro, your diary is always a great read)

Anyway, i still play regularly (i'm on pokerstars again now lol) and i was thinking i would like to play more MTTs since it is getting a bit repetitive just playing cash all the time, with just a couple freerolls a week (not saying i don't like doing it, its always good fun) . Just time to mix it up a little bit i think!

My starting bankroll on pokerstars is £200 ($320 i think?) so what MTTs should i be looking to play? I've not got much idea about bankroll management when it comes to tournaments.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?:
    Firstly, i'd like to say i have no idea why i haven't posted on here for a while, i've been on this every day reading other people's diaries etc just couldn't be bothered to log in and post again until now lol. (Good luck to lambert180 btw on going pro, your diary is always a great read) Anyway, i still play regularly (i'm on pokerstars again now lol) and i was thinking i would like to play more MTTs since it is getting a bit repetitive just playing cash all the time, with just a couple freerolls a week (not saying i don't like doing it, its always good fun) . Just time to mix it up a little bit i think! My starting bankroll on pokerstars is £200 ($320 i think?) so what MTTs should i be looking to play? I've not got much idea about bankroll management when it comes to tournaments. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Posted by skeg01
    with a $320 bankroll i would be playing $3.00 mtts, maybe could play the odd $5.00 one too but mtts are high varience and you can go on long periods of not cashing regardless of how good you are so dont start playing games higher than $5.00 if you dont want to go broke. 
  • edited October 2013
    Aye i know, i've heard all about variance in MTTs lol, what types of MTTs are best? Turbos, bountys, deepstacks etc?
  • edited October 2013
    DONT play BHs on there imo. As far as I know they're all flat payouts on the heads.

It's bad enough on Sky imo that you have to see 50% of the prizepool being put somewhere (on people's heads) where you're never gonna see most of it again but at least progressive bounties make some of the money flow through to the later stages, it's even worse with flat payouts. I.e. each head might be $1 and it doesn't change no matter how many people you've knocked out, so the value of trying to knock people out on a FT for instance (in terms of their bounty) is non-existent compared to the prize jumps

Imagine a 400 runner tourney with $1 on each head... even if you win the whole MTT, I reckon it would be pretty sick if you got 20 heads in total. That means $380 of the prizepool is just completely gone.
  • edited October 2013
    I would put your bankroll on Sky---- the mtts here have less variance than on massive sites--- start with cheap deep stacks, just to settle in and get some notes---- then 5 quid freezeouts----- build a roll-- play bigger games
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?:
    DONT play BHs on there imo. As far as I know they're all flat payouts on the heads. It's bad enough on Sky imo that you have to see 50% of the prizepool being put somewhere (on people's heads) where you're never gonna see most of it again but at least progressive bounties make some of the money flow through to the later stages, it's even worse with flat payouts. I.e. each head might be $1 and it doesn't change no matter how many people you've knocked out, so the value of trying to knock people out on a FT for instance (in terms of their bounty) is non-existent compared to the prize jumps Imagine a 400 runner tourney with $1 on each head... even if you win the whole MTT, I reckon it would be pretty sick if you got 20 heads in total. That means $380 of the prizepool is just completely gone.
    Posted by Lambert180

Very well explained Lambert, I had never thought of it like that.
  • edited October 2013
    Cant play on here unfortunately oynutter, i would if i could.

So what types of tournaments would be best, the ones with big prizepools and low buy-ins haha?
  • edited October 2013
    why no play here? ------- Personally I think small mtts are good value--- 30---100 players for low stakes players---- then take the odd shot at the big boys when you have the roll for it --- generally around 2% of your roll is ok for tournament brm
  • edited October 2013
    Cant play on here unfortunately oynutter, i would if i could. So what types of tournaments would be best, the ones with big prizepools and low buy-ins haha?
    Posted by skeg01
    You can't play on here yet you come to the Skypoker forum asking for advice on what to play on another site? And by naming the site your promoting it. I'm surprised this thread is still open to be honest
  • edited October 2013
    Cant play on here unfortunately oynutter, i would if i could. So what types of tournaments would be best, the ones with big prizepools and low buy-ins haha?
    Posted by skeg01
     Now look--- you have annoyed Flyingdagg--- and just when I was about to give you the best advice you ever saw ----apologise and pacify now, or I will have no more to say on the matter!
  • edited October 2013
    You can't play on here yet you come to the Skypoker forum asking for advice on what to play on another site? And by naming the site your promoting it. I'm surprised this thread is still open to be honest
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Yes pretty much, this is a good forum to get advice from so thats why i post on here when i need it lol. And i'm not exactly promoting the site, i'm pretty sure everyone here has heard of pokerstars before?
  • edited October 2013
    Should i always try to play in tournaments with a higher GTD prize?

Like for instance in 40 minutes there is a $3.30 tournament (6 max) with a 4k GTD but 15 mins later there is another $3.30 tournament with a 5k GTD. But then again, there is a $2.20 tournament in an hour which is a turbo and its a 10k GTD, does this make much difference at all?

I take it the better the GTD is, the more players there are?
  • edited October 2013
    Yes pretty much, this is a good forum to get advice from so thats why i post on here when i need it lol. And i'm not exactly promoting the site, i'm pretty sure everyone here has heard of pokerstars before?
    Posted by skeg01
    What site's that? Can I have a link plz, never heard of it
  • edited October 2013
     which part of "apologise and pacify" are you having trouble with? ---- lol
  • edited October 2013
    Should i always try to play in tournaments with a higher GTD prize? Like for instance in 40 minutes there is a $3.30 tournament (6 max) with a 4k GTD but 15 mins later there is another $3.30 tournament with a 5k GTD. But then again, there is a $2.20 tournament in an hour which is a turbo and its a 10k GTD, does this make much difference at all? I take it the better the GTD is, the more players there are?
    Posted by skeg01
     them massive turbos are less value than bingo imo ---- ( thats sky bingo not pokerstars bingo )
  • edited October 2013
     which part of "apologise and pacify" are you having trouble with? ---- lol
    Posted by oynutter
    Haha to be honest with you i have no idea what pacify means ;) but i know what apologise means so i'm sorry haha. Didn't know you're not allowed to talk about other sites on here to be honest, i'm clueless about online forums and stuff like that, oh well lol.
  • edited October 2013
    why you no play on sky? --- we want you!
  • edited October 2013
    I would if i could oynutter, but i self-excluded my old account ages ago (i accidentally did it for 5 years instead of just 6 months lol) so i can't make deposits or anything on this account as my card will be blocked. So i just use this account to post on the forums lol
  • edited October 2013
    why you no play on sky? --- we want you!
    Posted by oynutter
    why would he want to really? you arnt exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to tournaments are you.
  • edited October 2013
    Haha to be honest with you i have no idea what pacify means ;) but i know what apologise means so i'm sorry haha. Didn't know you're not allowed to talk about other sites on here to be honest, i'm clueless about online forums and stuff like that, oh well lol.
    Posted by skeg01
    mtts with thousands of players will have massive variance, be prepared to fail in a hundred of them before you even final table one
  • edited October 2013
    Haha yeah i figured that, i'm going to try avoid the tournys with like more than 2k players, i have played in some freerolls before with more players than that and i've cashed quite a few times just can't seem to make a final table though lol.

What are the tournaments like on here? Is it just 100 odd players or something?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please? :  Now look--- you have annoyed Flyingdagg--- and just when I was about to give you the best advice you ever saw ----apologise and pacify now, or I will have no more to say on the matter!
    Posted by oynutter
    No not annoyed at all it seemed odd that you would ask on here for advice regarding another site but maybe you don't have other avenues open to you. You explained how you can't play on here now but I have to say from 6 months to 5 years is one hell of a misclick lol.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please? : why would he want to really? you arnt exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to tournaments are you.
    Posted by THEROCK573
     I am spoilt for choice here! ---- especially in the evenings --- bh--timed-- deepstack--freezeout--rebuy--satellite--big ones--- small ones--- sensible ones---- silly ones---- and I am hard to please (mentally)
  • edited October 2013
    You explained how you can't play on here now but I have to say from 6 months to 5 years is one hell of a misclick lol.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Haha, yes true but you forget the fact that i, sir, am a total idiot sometimes. ;)

• edited October 2013
     Surely you can email sky and sort it out ---- if you really are a "total idiot sometimes"--- maybe Richard Orford will help you explain yourself
  • edited October 2013
    I've tried loads of times, talked to online support and they say every single time that a self exclusion is non-reversible so i'll just have to wait until the period ends in about 4 and a quarter years time haha.
  • edited October 2013
    5 years is daft--- have you tried to email one of the big boys?
  • edited October 2013
    DONT play BHs on there imo. As far as I know they're all flat payouts on the heads. It's bad enough on Sky imo that you have to see 50% of the prizepool being put somewhere (on people's heads) where you're never gonna see most of it again but at least progressive bounties make some of the money flow through to the later stages, it's even worse with flat payouts. I.e. each head might be $1 and it doesn't change no matter how many people you've knocked out, so the value of trying to knock people out on a FT for instance (in terms of their bounty) is non-existent compared to the prize jumps Imagine a 400 runner tourney with $1 on each head... even if you win the whole MTT, I reckon it would be pretty sick if you got 20 heads in total. That means $380 of the prizepool is just completely gone.
    Posted by Lambert180

The big differencre Paul is that 'their' bh tourneys only take 20% of the tourney fee as the bounty so the payout is dramatically weighted towards positional finish, which kind of negates the argument about progressive bounties because the money has already 'flowed through' to the later stages, and with the money being 'up top' knocking someone out at the final table guarantees a significant prize increase, but with progressive bounties, its only significant if the villan has plenty of bounties.  

The payout follows their normal structure so its no flatter than a freeze out, and still richly rewards the best finishers
  • edited October 2013
    I know but still leaves a chunk of the prizepool missing which is why I prefer non-BHs.

Same example of 400 runners andd $1 bounty. I think to be a $1 bounty it would be $4 into the proper prizepool (and then rake on top). I'd much rather have a $2k prizepool, than a $1.6k prizepool just cos I might get $6-7 along the way.

Guess this is just an issue with all BHs though tbh.

• edited October 2013
    Yeah I agree that a straight freezeout provides the better payout, I was offering a different view on which type of B/H offers a better payment structure, personally I prefer the steadier play that it encouraged by not having progressive bounties.
  • edited October 2013
    Have you asked for advice on the Pokerstars forum?