You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?

2»

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Didn't know there was a pokerstars forum lol, only 3 forums i know of are this one, cardschat and two plus two, and i prefer this one.
  • edited October 2013
    Skeg, Check out the thread i done, the first part of it is all about playing MTTs
  • edited October 2013
    Cheers larson, i'll have a look.

Think the main thing i struggle with is when the bubble finally bursts and i have less than 20 bigs, i just can't seem to get that double up to give me a chance of going further. So many times in freerolls and twice today i've made it made it past the bubble and either min-cashed or a little more. Just can't seem to win a flip at that stage lol.
  • edited October 2013
    I don't know if Vespa was making a joke but I'm 99% sure pokerstars don't have a forum.

As Sky regularly mention, very very few sites have their own forum cos it's a pain in the ____ to manage.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?:
    Cheers larson, i'll have a look. Think the main thing i struggle with is when the bubble finally bursts and i have less than 20 bigs, i just can't seem to get that double up to give me a chance of going further. So many times in freerolls and twice today i've made it made it past the bubble and either min-cashed or a little more. Just can't seem to win a flip at that stage lol.
    Posted by skeg01
    All too often, players tighten up approaching the bubble, then suddenly get too aggro/spewy once it has burst. Spin it round; play the bubble in an aggressive manner (table dependent of course) and then once everyone is in the monies, avoid getting into marginal spots too often.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please? : All too often, players tighten up approaching the bubble, then suddenly get too aggro/spewy once it has burst. Spin it round; play the bubble in an aggressive manner (table dependent of course) and then once everyone is in the monies, avoid getting into marginal spots too often.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    THIS ^^^

Round the bubble everyone gets tight = we should get aggro

Bubble bursts, everyone has cashed and more gambly trying to spin up and win = we tighten up

Sometimes the issue isn't specifically the bubble but the middle stages. Often people struggle round the bubble because they haven't been aggressive enough in the mid stages. We wanna be building up a big stack in the mid stages so that when the bubble approaches we can be ruthless. It's pretty hard to put people under max pressure when you have a small stack yourself.
  • edited October 2013
    Don't they're stess :(
  • edited October 2013
    I'll keep that in mind, cheers. I do try and be aggro in the middle stages to try and build a stack but its difficult picking the right spots to be aggro haha, still a lot of calling stations/people who call with atc etc in that stage, i just hate bluffing in general in micro stakes cash games or tournaments lol.

i usually get to the bubble stage with around 20-30 bigs. And by that stage most of the people left in the tournament are good players who are capable of folding a pair or a gutshot etc haha. I know i want to play against people who are incapable of folding any pair as we can take their chips in the long run etc, but it makes a better game of poker when i'm playing against good players, i enjoy it more
  • edited October 2013
    Skeg I read your old diary where you mainly played micro cash and you constantly referred to the fact you found it hard to concentrate for more than 1hr indeed many of your sessions were around 30 minutes long. How then are you going to cope with multiple tournaments that could last 5 or 6 hrs at a time if you go deep?

You are quite successful at micro cash and with the right application I would suggest that this is where you could make the best return on your investment. 1 mistake or 1 bad river and your out of a tournament where in cash you just reload and you can quit when you like.

Personally I love the tournaments but play for fun/entertainment, if you are going to grind the tournaments then the first thing you need to do is update your equipment from that old laptop you refer to also a better internet connection if possible. At least then you could play when you want and not have to share with the rest of your family who may get rather frustrated if you are on it constantly lol.

Just my thoughts Skeg good luck in your endeavours.   Ray
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Going to start playing more MTTs, advice please?:
    Firstly, i'd like to say i have no idea why i haven't posted on here for a while, i've been on this every day reading other people's diaries etc just couldn't be bothered to log in and post again until now lol. (Good luck to lambert180 btw on going pro, your diary is always a great read) Anyway, i still play regularly (i'm on pokerstars again now lol) and i was thinking i would like to play more MTTs since it is getting a bit repetitive just playing cash all the time, with just a couple freerolls a week (not saying i don't like doing it, its always good fun) . Just time to mix it up a little bit i think! My starting bankroll on pokerstars is £200 ($320 i think?) so what MTTs should i be looking to play? I've not got much idea about bankroll management when it comes to tournaments. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Posted by skeg01

I play alot of the 4.50 180 seaters non turbos !!!!, the fields r pretty soft and they have an ok structure, its hard to go deep in the bigger fields so I would put alot of these into your grind along with a few of the bigger tournies with the bigger fields, gl whatever you do

• edited October 2013
    Skeg I read your old diary where you mainly played micro cash and you constantly referred to the fact you found it hard to concentrate for more than 1hr indeed many of your sessions were around 30 minutes long. How then are you going to cope with multiple tournaments that could last 5 or 6 hrs at a time if you go deep? You are quite successful at micro cash and with the right application I would suggest that this is where you could make the best return on your investment. 1 mistake or 1 bad river and your out of a tournament where in cash you just reload and you can quit when you like. Personally I love the tournaments but play for fun/entertainment, if you are going to grind the tournaments then the first thing you need to do is update your equipment from that old laptop you refer to also a better internet connection if possible. At least then you could play when you want and not have to share with the rest of your family who may get rather frustrated if you are on it constantly lol. Just my thoughts Skeg good luck in your endeavours.   Ray
    Posted by a00rock
    Yeah i forgot about the fact you get a 5 minute break at 5 to every hour in every tourny lol (well more than 5 minutes as it takes about 2-3 minutes for all the tables to break) that gives me plenty of time to get away from the screen, make a cup of tea/something to eat and help refocus myself for another hour.

I got a new laptop not long ago so internet connection is no longer a problem :) but i can't just play whenever i want as i am normally busy during the day and i play poker 5 nights a week at local pubs round my area so i don't get home until late, but i'm happy enough to play late at night when everyone else is in bed lol.
  • edited October 2013
    Been told that i should have at least 200BIs minimum to play in big GTD tournaments with a lot of players, but on here i've been told I shouldn't risk more than 1% of my total bankroll on one tournament, which is the equalivelent to 100BIs, so which one is right? lol.

• edited October 2013
    Been told that i should have at least 200BIs minimum to play in big GTD tournaments with a lot of players, but on here i've been told I shouldn't risk more than 1% of my total bankroll on one tournament, which is the equalivelent to 100BIs, so which one is right? lol.
    Posted by skeg01
    person dependant and how willing you are to reload if you go bust, if you're playing mtts with big fields then i think 200 is a bit nitty but defo 150 to be on the safe side.
  • edited October 2013
    Depends on a million factors.

How good are you, how soft are the fields, how big are the fields, are you playing deepstacks or turbos, are you playing rebuys (cos they're essentially 3 BIs), how swingy/loose aggressive is your style of play, etc etc.

I've never regularly grinded purely fields of like 2000+ runners but it might be good for them.

If you're playing fields around the 500-800 mark and are good, then 100BIs is probably fine.
  • edited October 2013
    Don't want to sound big headed or anything but i am definitely a good player, i'd give phil ivey a run for his money ;) (kidding obv haha) i just lack experience in online MTTs thats all, but i'll adapt in time no problem.

I wouldn't play turbos or rebuys, rebuys sound too expensive and i hate it when the blinds go up too quickly like in turbos, i prefer a grind its more fun to me lol. Since its pokerstars i play at, obviously almost all the micro-stakes tournamets have a lot of runners, but there are a few which are capped and a few with like a 1k GTD which gets about 500 runners or so.