You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday's live show on 861 & SS4 - with Richard & Redmond (***OFFICIAL THREAD***)

Comments

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show on 861 & SS4 - with Richard & Redmond (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show on 861 & SS4 - with Richard & Redmond (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : Arguably, it's taken the league far too long to acknowledge the legacy of brain injuries and suicides that this violent sport has created. I think it's incredibly hard to find the right balance, and would agree that the referees sometimes err on the side of caution. But, overall, I think the league is taking the right attitude towards helmet-to-helmet hits.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Don't they wear cricket style boxes for that ? ;-)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show on 861 & SS4 - with Richard & Redmond (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    At the risk of stating the obvious, they wear "helmets and shoulder pads" for a reason. If the players didn't wear body armour, there would be at least three deaths per game. And that's probably a conservative estimate!
    Posted by J-Hartigan

isn't the problem a result of the games' legislators picking the wrong solution?  the sports' governors have acknowledged that the sport involves high impact and awkward collisions of high mass individuals yet they may have chosen the wrong solution.  to give the players padding and protection was maybe not the best thing to do.  jeremy clarkson says that the best way of reducing deaths on the road is to get rid of seat belts and, instead, place a large knife of the steering wheel column pointed directly at the driver.  american footie might have developed in a more human friendly direction without helmets and pads.

but i know nothing really.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show on 861 & SS4 - with Richard & Redmond (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : isn't the problem a result of the games' legislators picking the wrong solution?  the sports' governors have acknowledged that the sport involves high impact and awkward collisions of high mass individuals yet they may have chosen the wrong solution.  to give the players padding and protection was maybe not the best thing to do.  jeremy clarkson says that the best way of reducing deaths on the road is to get rid of seat belts and, instead, place a large knife of the steering wheel column pointed directly at the driver.  american footie might have developed in a more human friendly direction without helmets and pads. but i know nothing really.
    Posted by aussie09
    You know your argument is flawed when you find yourself quoting Jeremy Clarkson!!!

Right, I really am going now...

• edited October 2013
    James Hartigan.

Ill, apparently. So ill and incapacitated that he is unable to tweet throughout the day and sustain a reasoned argument on the forum about the virtues of American Football.

No further questions, your honour.

;-)

Right- to business. Tonight's new and improved show topic will follow...
  • edited October 2013
    TONIGHT!

It's myself and Jesse Pinkman aka LoluFold

And the side debate is...

What are your 3 Sky Poker essentials?

So, when you're playing Sky Poker- you have home comforts around you, you have a preferred set of conditions. Maybe you like it nice and quiet. Maybe you like lots of stimulus with music blaring and various TVs on. But when you narrow it right down to the nitty gritty, what are the THREE things you really need to have in order to have an optimal session on Sky Poker?

Examples- a particular artist/group playing, a particular TV channel playing in the background- specific websites, can you not live without Messenger, or YouTube whilst between hands? Do you need coffee? Beer? Chocolate digestives? Or something else? Do you need a certain seating arrangement in your house? Lying down? On the sofa? In your bed? Do you need a lucky mascot? Do you have to go through a lucky ritual? etc etc etc

Put it another way, if you were turning up to 12 hour Sky Poker session on your todd in a white room with nothing else around, what 3 things would you request to help you get you through it profitably?

Fire them in on here or via skyopen@bskyb.com and I'll air them to the nation from 7pm!
  • edited October 2013
    3 essentials

1. Internet connection

2. Computer

3. Vodka
  • edited October 2013
    Is this a level? Is Richard levelling us and stealing the show thread or is he actually on the show? Delete as applicable, below.

Good evening Richard/James and Redmond.

Would you mind looking at this hand for me? I won't reveal the villain's hand, so you can have your fun guessing. It's generally a question about value-bet sizing but I'd welcome criticism of the pre-flop and flop play:

#696229530 (05:38 04/10/2013) Master Cash 1

I raise to 4x on the button because the effective stack is so deep against the big blind. The small blind has been pretty quiet so his 3-bet is a bit worrying, but I have the button and I have been very aggressive so there's a reasonable chance he's adapted to me a bit. I don't see any reason to 4-bet and fold out his weaker hands, so I flat.

On the flop, I feel as though I have to float one street and see what he does on the turn, especially when it's so cheap. Happy with that?

We have a little bink on the turn and the villain checks. At this point I'm thinking that he either has a hand like AK or AJ and is probably giving up, or he's holding a pair from about 66 upwards. He's likely to continue betting with anything that beats me and there are no credible draws.

Against that range I'm not sure about my bet size. If I go a bit bigger, I can set up the shove on the river, but I'm not sure if that's better than two smaller bets in the long run. I could definitely be given credit for bluffing in this situation. What do you chaps think on the sizing?

On the river; again it's a question of sizing. Is this a spot to range merge and make the slight overshove, to rep a polarised range, hoping he'll bluff-catch with his 88, 99, TT, JJ, etc?

Missed value or max value?

Thanks chaps.
  • edited October 2013
    3 essentials

1. sick bowl

2. Air horn

3. Punch bag

• edited October 2013

It's myself and Jesse Pinkman aka LoluFold

hahahaaaaa
  • edited October 2013
    I'm not capable of a twelve hour poker session. I lack the stamina for that. So I would request...

1) A pillow

2) A duvet

3) A mattress

Two hours of poker. Ten hours of sleeping. Easy game.
  • edited October 2013
    My three essentials would be

1) A decent supply of good coffee

2) My mp3 collection set to random

3) Some worse players than me so I could make some money
  • edited October 2013
    For the twelve-hour session, I would require:

1) Sarah Champion to rustle us something up for dinner.
    2) My chart of hand rankings, to remind me that a straight beats a flush.
    3) Redmond Lee on speed dial, for the tricky poker-related situations.
  • edited October 2013
    3 essentials

1. Next door's cat having a bath in front of me
    2. "Boy Named Sue" on repeat
    3.  The last ten minutes of Rocky 2 on in the background

Don't ask why but I have consistently good results with these three stimuli.  Probably not essential though.  So maybe discount this post entirely.
  • edited October 2013
    3 things I need to relax at the sart of a session of poker are -
    1) channel 906 on sky
    2) babywipes
    3) tv remote ( to change channel if mrs walks in the room)
  • edited October 2013
    Nice work on the replies so far, guys. 

We're live in 10 minutes!
  • edited October 2013
    Richard's wearing a tie... What? 
  • edited October 2013
    Oasis bottle (or any bottle with a wide rim)
    Brown paper bag
    A fashionable jacket (to give to Richard on the way out)
  • edited October 2013
    Richard, I think you need someone whispering in your ear which type of tables you're watching.

The first table you're showing appears to be from a DYM, which will obviously play differently to a regular SNG.

EDIT: Never mind. You're on it. Such a pro. ;)
  • edited October 2013
    James is ill?

This isn't going to help those that already find it hard to tell the difference between you and Mr Hartigan.
  • edited October 2013
    Are you moonlighting as a French waiter Richard?
  • edited October 2013
    Richard must have never had a 20 hour grind playing 16 tables ;-)
  • edited October 2013
    The 3 poker essentials for me would be the 3 c's

Coffee
     Cigarettes
     Cat(to kick when i lose)

• edited October 2013
    What's the betting that J-Hartigan is shortly going to be registering for the main event?
  • edited October 2013
    Won a seat in the SS BH, feel like it may go well. Watching the show too for just the 2nd time. 
  • edited October 2013
    The difference between you and Orford?

errrrrmmmm....

• edited October 2013
    Loved the Sit & Go section of the show, we should have an hour of that every week!

Hmmm ... black tie, black jacket, did you just get back from a funeral Rich?
  • edited October 2013
    At the risk of stating the obvious, they wear "helmets and shoulder pads" for a reason. If the players didn't wear body armour, there would be at least three deaths per game. And that's probably a conservative estimate!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    NO, actually. If they didn't wear the protection, they'd be a lot more careful about where they put their heads (and bodies in general), and they might learn to tackle!
  • edited October 2013
    12 hour poker session essentials. 
    1. Much water
    2. Toilet breaks
    3. Luck
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Richard and Redmond. I have a hand request from a very lucky hand I played earlier in one of the satellites for the BH today. Number 700630109. A lot of action pre-flop and then tried to bluff the flop with a check raise, I then had to call surely? People were not happy on the table with my play, and in reflectiong neither am I really. 

Cheers, Jack
  • edited October 2013
    Could you guys explain what "range merging" is please?

My Poker Essentials:

1) Money
    2) Luck
    3) Sky Channel 861