You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Apologies and variance.

Need to post something.

Need to apologise to any DYMers out there who have witnessed my childish outbursts in the chat box of late. I hope and believe nothing personal has been said, rather it's been directed at the poker gods, the universe or whatever. Apparently it's therapeutic to post too.

The truth is I have never experienced a run of variance like this one. It's been nearly 4 1/2 months and over 2.5k games and I've been running horrifically. I've had 3 or 4 really bad runs in 4 1/2 years or so but this is the worst by far. It's really messing with my head and taking me to some dark places at times. I also feel at times like it's affecting my general health.

Possibly I need a break. The only thing is every time I resit (usually after only an hour or so) I feel fine again, I have calmed down completely (or think I have). I don't actually feel my game is affected by the tilt, just my mood and apparently my ability to refrain from using the chat box. But I tilt far quicker at the moment than I ever used to, probably only one or two beats being enough to do it. I've read about this in The Mental Game of Poker and I'll be revisiting that and purchasing the second asap, trust me.

Anyway, just needed to post something. Once again, massive apologies to anyone whose had to sit through some of the nonsense I've written in chat. I know I have a real problem with tilt and handling variance at the minute but I will be working on this and hopefully will get there.

Run well everyone, be happy.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Hi JC

I feel your pain and i know its very hard to bite your lip sometimes.
    I used to be able to rack up 5 or 6 wins in a row on the DYM's but lately been struggling to put 2 together.
    Do you think the games/players have changed in the past couple of months?

May need to revisit your DYM blog , may be therapeutic for you???

I head to the PLO & PLO8 DYM tables if i'm suffering on the Holdem DYM tables, the beats are not so hard to take in these formats.

Good Luck
    Mick
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance.:
    Hi JC I feel your pain and i know its very hard to bite your lip sometimes. I used to be able to rack up 5 or 6 wins in a row on the DYM's but lately been struggling to put 2 together. Do you think the games/players have changed in the past couple of months? May need to revisit your DYM blog , may be therapeutic for you??? I head to the PLO & PLO8 DYM tables if i'm suffering on the Holdem DYM tables, the beats are not so hard to take in these formats. Good Luck Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick. I think the games probably continue to get slightly tougher and tougher and there's definitely one or two new regs that have appeared at the lower stakes in the last couple of months that are very good players. Possibly the summer hasn't helped either, I would expect the games to get slightly better again now that the nights are drawing in and the general numbers on site should be increasing.

It's a great point re mixing up the games. I like to mix in low stake MTTs for fun and I may try out Omaha too as I do enjoy it, even if I'm not very good, lol. I'm stuck with hold'em DYMs until at least Monday, though, the double points promo is too enticing (even if I could very well end up out of pocket due to the aforementioned variance) :-)

Good luck to you too Mick, thanks for posting.

• edited October 2013
    I'm sorry that it's not going well for you at the moment JC. Sure it will change soon.
    Not played much with you recently but you've always been a true gent in the chatbox from my experience
  • edited October 2013
    I'm sorry that it's not going well for you at the moment JC. Sure it will change soon. Not played much with you recently but you've always been a true gent in the chatbox from my experience
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks for the kind words Jac, really appreciate that. Hopefully we'll share a table or too soon :-)
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Thanks Mick. I think the games probably continue to get slightly tougher and tougher and there's definitely one or two new regs that have appeared at the lower stakes in the last couple of months that are very good players. Possibly the summer hasn't helped either, I would expect the games to get slightly better again now that the nights are drawing in and the general numbers on site should be increasing. It's a great point re mixing up the games. I like to mix in low stake MTTs for fun and I may try out Omaha too as I do enjoy it, even if I'm not very good, lol. I'm stuck with hold'em DYMs until at least Monday, though, the double points promo is too enticing (even if I could very well end up out of pocket due to the aforementioned variance) :-) Good luck to you too Mick, thanks for posting.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Wow seriously? Never known anyone to moan about the games getting tougher after releasing guides on how to beat DYM's :/ Not being funny but obviously the games are going to get tougher if you help the people you play against with these guides lol...

No offence but I'm glad to see you variance catching up with you as amount of times I've got it in as a 4:1 fav against you and hit them runner runners is ridic, maybe next time think twice about writing guides that may help your opponents, common sense really.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Wow seriously? Never known anyone to moan about the games getting tougher after releasing guides on how to beat DYM's :/ Not being funny but obviously the games are going to get tougher if you help the people you play against with these guides lol... No offence but I'm glad to see you variance catching up with you as amount of times I've got it in as a 4:1 fav against you and hit them runner runners is ridic, maybe next time think twice about writing guides that may help your opponents, common sense really.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    What a lovely first post. Another great addition to the forum.
    You seem a really nice guy.

So for some time you've been considering what to write about in your first post then Bingo!
    What an opportunity. A chance to  to knock someone when they're struggling a bit and rub it in.
    Mind boggling
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : What a lovely first post. Another great addition to the forum. You seem a really nice guy. So for some time you've been considering what to write about in your first post then Bingo! What an opportunity. A chance to  to knock someone when they're struggling a bit and rub it in. Mind boggling
    Posted by Jac35
    How is it against the rules? I'm just stating the obvious the reason why they're getting better is because of all the guides out there, including his, I just don't see the logic to complain about how people are getting better yet he's helping them by producing guides.
    Mind boggling
  • edited October 2013
    Who said anything about rules?
    My post was directed more at your comment "No offence but I'm glad to see you variance catching up with you"
    Seems totally  unnecessary.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : How is it against the rules? I'm just stating the obvious the reason why they're getting better is because of all the guides out there, including his, I just don't see the logic to complain about how people are getting better yet he's helping them by producing guides. Mind boggling
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ

If you read the OP , you will observe that JC isn't complaining about people getting better, but just about getting frustrated about a bad run of variance.

The beauty of this community/forum is that fellow players are willing to help others out.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : How is it against the rules? I'm just stating the obvious the reason why they're getting better is because of all the guides out there, including his, I just don't see the logic to complain about how people are getting better yet he's helping them by producing guides. Mind boggling
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    He didn't really complain about people getting better too much he's complaining about long period of negative variance. He stated he believes they have got tougher but only in response to being asked about it. his original post never mentions the quality of other players.

Your post just appears to lack of bit of class i.e. kicking someone when their down! 
  • edited October 2013
    Look at the sky poker clique coming out of the woodwork, a bit of realism and everyone goes crazy. In his second post he mentions better players and new regs are starting to play, which is more than likely down to poker guides helping them play better. Don't understand people making guides on how to play poker better then next minute moan that the games are getting tougher.

Jac please don't make comments about me not being nice guy etc, because I've seen countless posts of yours that are directed at non regs which make you come across as a n0b yourself
  • edited October 2013
    JC I've been on a number of your tables over the last few weeks and you really have been unlucky in loads of hands. On the tables I've never really seen you chat abuse too much to be honest. The odd quip here and there but very rarely and nothing compared to some on here. I'm on a bad run myself over the last few days and I've lashed out at a few already lol so god only knows what I'd be like if I'd been a run of a few months. I always feel bad after lashing out but when I'm on a bad run the red mist appears and I can't help myself!

At the moment my good cards appear to be running into better (apart from my AA vs your QQ last night )and when my big hands are being called by loose players I'm missing and they catch everything. i.e. ak vs 7 2 at lunch time. Very frustrating!

ps I hope your fortunes turn around soon, apart from against me of course :)
  • edited October 2013
    Look at the sky poker clique coming out of the woodwork, a bit of realism and everyone goes crazy. In his second post he mentions better players and new regs are starting to play, which is more than likely down to poker guides helping them play better. Don't understand people making guides on how to play poker better then next minute moan that the games are getting tougher. Jac please don't make comments about me not being nice guy etc, because I've seen countless posts of yours that are directed at non regs which make you come across as a n0b yourself
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    I'd be suprised if more than 25% of the players that play here actually bother reading the forum.
    Plenty of guides on the internet about DYM's.

Not sure what the sky poker clique is that you refer to.
  • edited October 2013
    Look at the sky poker clique coming out of the woodwork, a bit of realism and everyone goes crazy. In his second post he mentions better players and new regs are starting to play, which is more than likely down to poker guides helping them play better. Don't understand people making guides on how to play poker better then next minute moan that the games are getting tougher.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    Mentions does not mean complain! He was asked the question "are the games getting tougher" and he said yes they were but no where does he bemoan that fact.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Wow seriously? Never known anyone to moan about the games getting tougher after releasing guides on how to beat DYM's :/ Not being funny but obviously the games are going to get tougher if you help the people you play against with these guides lol... No offence but I'm glad to see you variance catching up with you as amount of times I've got it in as a 4:1 fav against you and hit them runner runners is ridic, maybe next time think twice about writing guides that may help your opponents, common sense really.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    Not sure how writing a quide would help against beats !
  • edited October 2013
    Absolutely nothing to do with being a reg or not.
    Yes, I'll be critical when someone comes on the forum and the first thing they do is to post about enjoying someone else's misfortune.
    Direct me to these countless posts as well please.

I actually agree with you about guides etc making the games tougher. They've certainly got harder since I started on here a couple of years ago.

• edited October 2013
    The title of the post is: 'Apologies and variance'.

It is not called: 'I'm tilting because I can't believe some of the rubbish I'm being called with by all these donks!!!'
  • edited October 2013
    Absolutely nothing to do with being a reg or not. Yes, I'll be critical when someone comes on the forum and the first thing they do is to post about enjoying someone else's misfortune. Direct me to these countless posts as well please. I actually agree with you about guides etc making the games tougher. They've certainly got harder since I started on here a couple of years ago.
    Posted by Jac35
    They're mainly directed at people who think the site is rigged, however when one of these posts come up you and all the regs just go and mock them instead of convincing them it's legit. Go check every single rigged thread on bbv which you have posted and you'll realise what I'm talking about, it's like you get kicks from people leaving the site.

I'm sorry but he's made it harder for himself and all the other regs by being a good sport and creating a guide, I know he's a good player but the times I've been far ahead and he's smashed the flop/turn/river is unreal, so glad to see his sky run good has rubbed off finally.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : They're mainly directed at people who think the site is rigged, however when one of these posts come up you and all the regs just go and mock them instead of convincing them it's legit. Go check every single rigged thread on bbv which you have posted and you'll realise what I'm talking about, it's like you get kicks from people leaving the site. I'm sorry but he's made it harder for himself and all the other regs by being a good sport and creating a guide, I know he's a good player but the times I've been far ahead and he's smashed the flop/turn/river is unreal, so glad to see his sky run good has rubbed off finally.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    Just out of interest where did you learn to play DYM's?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Just out of interest where did you learn to play DYM's?
    Posted by VespaPX
    I started playing on stars before the fifty50's were introduced and they were just normal Double or nothings, built from from like £10 up to £2500~ using horrible brm with just 10bi's, carried on playing the $50/$100 until I had a bit of a bad streak and ended up cashing out before things went really wrong, then deposited a bit back and used proper brm around 40bi's until the fiftys came out which then I quit stars.
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : They're mainly directed at people who think the site is rigged, however when one of these posts come up you and all the regs just go and mock them instead of convincing them it's legit. Go check every single rigged thread on bbv which you have posted and you'll realise what I'm talking about, it's like you get kicks from people leaving the site. I'm sorry but he's made it harder for himself and all the other regs by being a good sport and creating a guide, I know he's a good player but the times I've been far ahead and he's smashed the flop/turn/river is unreal, so glad to see his sky run good has rubbed off finally.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    You're probably right people could do more to convince people the site isn't rigged but the problem is how can anyone do that?

You'll probably also find a lot of these regs at some point did try to convince one of these "sky rigged" posters that the site isn't rigged but the poster never wants to listen to reason or anything else for that matter and are generally just spoiling for a fight.  They want to blame the site and nothing else. Right or wrong this is why people mock!

You on the other hand have come on to mock someone who is apologizing for any offence he may have caused and to say he's on a bad run of results.

ps this thread shows plenty of people trying to convince the poster he's wrong https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3acdf513a4-4811-44dd-b210-c66d9e48e878Discussion%3a9b8a6dec-9803-419d-b142-6c6d2514358b
  • edited October 2013
    This is a forum, am I not allowed to get my point across? Even if I typed it like every other reg does and say something along the lines of... "I'm sorry 'JC' about the run bad news, but tbh you've had your run good for too long now and I'm sorry about that but it's just poker" it will still come across the same way.

But my way just gets to the point as me and a few others have witnessed his invincibility when it comes to winning flips/4:1's etc and personally I'm glad to see it's finally caught up with him; even if I do come across as a n0b.
  • edited October 2013

I know there are a lot of poor/recreational players here, and maybe even the regs aren't great, but I don't understand why 'grinders' still play dyms on here.

The rake is a lot higher than elsewhere, which when you have small edges to begin with, is a killer.

I'm not sure the poorer standard of opposition compensates for the high rake?

Everything that's positive about the site, doesn't really apply to dyms imo.

For mtt/cash players, you can put up with, and overcome the 'lolrake' and the poor software, and to some extent the lack of action.

But in dyms, I'm not sure u can?

Rly dnt get why they're so popular here!!!!
  • edited October 2013
    This is a forum, am I not allowed to get my point across? Even if I typed it like every other reg does and say something along the lines of... "I'm sorry 'JC' about the run bad news, but tbh you've had your run good for too long now and I'm sorry about that but it's just poker" it will still come across the same way. But my way just gets to the point as me and a few others have witnessed his invincibility when it comes to winning flips/4:1's etc and personally I'm glad to see it's finally caught up with him; even if I do come across as a n0b.
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    He's played over 30,000 games - that was some heater he was on!!

I've just tried to scope you to see how many games you've played and there's no record of you EVER having played on skypoker - so how has he outdrawn you so many times? do you use different aliases?
  • edited October 2013
    Hi M, 
    I FEEL FOR YOU! Yours was one of the first guides I read when I joined Sky & as a former team-mate I've always adnired your skill!   However, like Do7H has said I'm really surprised you still play DYM's?   It could be work related?  I've seen you go fairly deep lately in MTT's?  I'm sure U read GaryQ's thread?  He, like you, is going through the mother of all variance atm!  BUT he's not complaining because he knows over time that he is a winning player.  

GL 
    p
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : He's played over 30,000 games - that was some heater he was on!! I've just tried to scope you to see how many games you've played and there's no record of you EVER having played on skypoker - so how has he outdrawn you so many times? do you use different aliases?
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I've said he's a good player, although 5% ROI isn't very impressive... Even after 30k games
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : I've said he's a good player, although 5% ROI isn't very impressive... Even after 30k games
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    Shall we start again?
    Can we agree to disagree on your wording in your first post?

Moving on. Genuinely interested in your comment that 5% isn't impressive. I've always been under the impression that 5%+ is classed as impressive at Dyms.
    Similar to you I used to play the Dyms on stars and stopped when they moved to the 50/50s. I think that as well as guides maybe helping people improve their games, with less sites now offering Dyms, decent players have moved to play on Sky.

I am really curious having also scoped you. You've never played on here. How has the op inflicted bests on you?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Shall we start again? Can we agree to disagree on your wording in your first post? Moving on. Genuinely interested in your comment that 5% isn't impressive. I've always been under the impression that 5%+ is classed as impressive at Dyms. Similar to you I used to play the Dyms on stars and stopped when they moved to the 50/50s. I think that as well as guides maybe helping people improve their games, with less sites now offering Dyms, decent players have moved to play on Sky. I am really curious having also scoped you. You've never played on here. How has the op inflicted bests on you?
    Posted by Jac35
    jd was making out 5% is amazing, when it's pretty standard for most regs.

Maybe the wording was a bit bad yeah, but the way he runs against me and a few other people it's good seeing that everyone is on the same level of variance, as this guy runs like gold
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : jd was making out 5% is amazing, when it's pretty standard for most regs. Maybe the wording was a bit bad yeah, but the way he runs against me and a few other people it's good seeing that everyone is on the same level of variance, as this guy runs like gold
    Posted by RUNGOODPLZ
    5% prob pretty good considering 10% rake on here...
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Apologies and variance. : Shall we start again? Can we agree to disagree on your wording in your first post? Moving on. Genuinely interested in your comment that 5% isn't impressive. I've always been under the impression that 5%+ is classed as impressive at Dyms. Similar to you I used to play the Dyms on stars and stopped when they moved to the 50/50s. I think that as well as guides maybe helping people improve their games, with less sites now offering Dyms, decent players have moved to play on Sky. I am really curious having also scoped you. You've never played on here. How has the op inflicted bests on you?
    Posted by Jac35
    Seems to like dodging this question.