You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday night live with Sarah and Ross *****official show thread*****

edited October 2013 in Poker Chat
Hullo guys 'n' gals!  How you doing?  Hope you've been running well?

I was reading a post on strengths and weaknesses in poker recently and it got me thinking....  

You know how Arnold Schwarznegger is created as the perfect killing machine in 'Terminator' or how Kelly Le Brock is created as the perfect woman in 'Weird Science'... complete fantasy but if we were starting from scratch what attributes would go toward making the perfect poker player? 

We've got a couple of free entry's into sunday night's Mini UKOPS to award to contributions to the show so get involved!

We're live from 7 kicking off with master cash, then it's the poker clinic and the perfect opportunity to have Ross analyse your play, we'll be showing requested hands for a full hour.  At 9 its Top of the Pots then more mastercash action at 10 before rounding off with the highlights from our main event, the 15K Sky Sports Bounty Hunter.

GL on the tables and see you from 7

PS as a total aside I was asked what my 'Upstairs Downstairs' name was at the weekend which for the uninitiated was an old tv show along the lines of 'Downton Abbey' Same sex granparents name plus the name of your primary school which makes me Edith Long Ridings.  Happy about that... Definitely an upstairs name! ;-)

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Edith Long Ridings?! Haha.

...I better stop right there I think :p
  • edited October 2013
    Long Ridings? So you were educated in Essex. Now that doesn't sound very upstairs.

- William Birchwood
  • edited October 2013
    Joe Parramatta.

A gangster's name if I've ever heard one.
  • edited October 2013
    tommy birkenhead borstal.

nice ring to it.

cheers,
    TEDDY
  • edited October 2013

So I'm looking for my paternal grandfather's first name and my Primary school?

That makes me Maurice Roseacre... I suspect I'm your chauffeur, M'Lady.

Theories on the perfect poker player will follow. It'll probably be a girl, though...

• edited October 2013
    That will make me Billy Rockfield, depol here i come :)
  • edited October 2013
    Ha ha!  These are really making me laugh! Joe Parramatta - GANGSTA! 

Please do have a think about the characteristics that would make the perfect poker player for our free entry into Sunday's mini too...  Maybe we should create a top ten?
    I'd probably put 'patience' at number one, maybe followed by 'pragmatism' *ooh long word for someone educated in Essssix hey Phantom66? ;-)*

Sxx

• edited October 2013
    In no particular order:

The patience to wait for the right spot
    2.      The discipline to lay down a big hand when you think you may be beaten
    3.      The perception to notice the betting patterns of others
    4.      The courage to push through the bubble in tournament play when most of the other runners are tightening up
    5.      The flair to mix up your play as and when required
    6.      The tolerance of the poor play of others
    7.      The experience to handle bad beats
    8.      The understanding that variance will sometimes catch you no matter how well you play
    9.      The skill to know when you’re getting your chips in good
    ...and finally...
    10.  The luck to win most of your flips.
  • edited October 2013
    Eric Highfield Hall for me! Sounds pretty good... 

Looking forward to the show tonight guys. Make sure to send lots of questions and tweets in for us - the show is much more fun when you guys get involved! 

See you from 7pm! 

Ross
  • edited October 2013
    Sorry Sarah - I didn't mean to imply you were stoopid - just not posh. Although Educating Essex doesn't do much to reverse the sterotype.

Now that could be a poker trait - knowing when to give up (on a hand) because you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole.

A few more "P's for Poker"

I'll give you Patience and Pragmatism and add..

Persistence
    Practice
    Perception
    Positivity

Just realised that William Birchwood could be upstairs, although most likely middle class, but Billy Birchwood is definitely downstairs.

• edited October 2013
    the things I think would make a perfect poker player

1 don't become addicted to raggy A's any two broad cards and any two suited cards

2. know when to toss away premium pairs.

3.know just how dangerous the board really is rather than checking just because of that one over card, 3rd suited card or the board getting paired.
    e.g. board  Jc 7d 3d 2d has only got 1 obvious danger for AA,  but  3h Kd Qd 9d  would be horrible for AQo

4. being able to notice betting and calling patterns of others.

5 knowing what is a safe bluff or cbet and when a check is best.

6. keeping a consistant bet size and hand range short term but at the same time mixing things up long term.

7. bankroll management.

and last but not least HANDLING THOSE BAD BEATS AND COOLDOWNS AND KNOWING VARIENCE. where would the pros get their money if those beginners and them who play it for the fun suddenly decided that 72s A2o pre and Ax high flop start getting folded like we expect.
  • edited October 2013
    Disipline. 

Tilt Control.

Peace.

Some Tuneage. 

Combine all those with some basic poker ability and you have the perfect player. 

Also through in a mankini just for lols
  • edited October 2013
    Hi, Ive listed the perfect poker player - goes by the name of Champion ;)

C - Controlled
    H - Hard Working
    A - Ambitious
    M - Motivated
    P - Passionate
    I - Imaginative
    O - Observant
    N - Nocturnal

Have a good show

Cameron (Billy Rockfield)
  • edited October 2013
    what attributes would go toward making the perfect poker player?

Nemo

Eeyore

Leprechaun

A Fish, A Donkey and a big pot at the end of a rainbow flop
  • edited October 2013
    Edwin Leighton Bromswold here.

If I was building a poker player from the ground up there is one thing that I would ensure they had before anything else is the ability to keep their play evolving keeping them one step ahead of the pack.  Evolution ftw.

Have a great show, hopefully I will be in the main and the mini, if I can get through this sat!  Run well all and remember to have fun out there :)
  • edited October 2013
    The perfect poker player:

The gormless expression of Karl pilkington -  impossible to read as evidenced by phil ivey and doc sands emulating it when they bet

The demeanour and gesticulations of louis spense  - imagine how tilting that would be. Someone who high kicks and pirouettes to celebrate a sucessful bluff, dahhhhllling.

The patience of prince charles  - mummy's going to live HOW long?!?!?!?

The ability to tell barefaced lies like abbey clancey - what's that, abbey, plugging freebees in the sun makes you a journalist, and you married him for his looks?

The luck of chris martin / coldplay - how else do you explain their enduring appeal

Cheers,
    TOMMY BORSTAL
  • edited October 2013
    Evening Sarah and Ross. Hope you're well.

The perfect poker player:

1) would clearly be a beautiful woman. We poker players don't tend to see too many girls, so they make us giddy... I'm putty in her hands when they bat their eyelashes at me...

More to follow...
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday night live with Sarah and Ross *****official show thread*****:
    Evening Sarah and Ross. Hope you're well. The perfect poker player:   1) would clearly be a beautiful woman. We poker players don't tend to see too many girls, so they make us giddy... I'm putty in her hands when  they bat their eyelashes at me... More to follow...
    Posted by BorinLoner
    What about if I bat my beard at you?  Would that work?
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday night live with Sarah and Ross *****official show thread*****:
    In Response to Re: Thursday night live with Sarah and Ross *****official show thread***** : What about if I bat my beard at you?  Would that work?
    Posted by cenachav
    Maybe if you're wearing a low-cut top. ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Hi guys 

Can i request hand

702471831from master cash table 1 on Tuesday night. I feel in this hand I overplay my hand slightly and would like some feedback. 

Thanks
  • edited October 2013
    From M/C 2 tonight

I have a bit of a cray image

Really not sure how to approach river

Hand History #703002174 (20:04 24/10/2013)Derrick John St. Michaels
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Guys

Satted into the SS BH for 3.60 from an all in sat, first time of asking= good news,

then played this hand (1st one in SS BH)

bet flop ok? turn and riv ok? obv he can have the nuts but w/e

• edited October 2013
    Hand 703004573  from main tonite.

Was pretty sure Mastahead was bluffing BUT didn't want to risk it so early, the 4 x diamonds scared me!.....
  • edited October 2013

good evening to the both of you enjoying the show.

having called the flop with QQ one of my concerns is what card the turn would have brought. the flop had both a J and K also it had 2 hearts and on of my queens was a heart so another think I was want ing to ask is although it was a 5s here had it been a heart or 10 that come on the turn.
    would it have been better to just ignore the straight and flush draw or could I go on and make the call.?

• edited October 2013
    Hi Guys Satted into the SS BH for 3.60 from an all in sat, first time of asking= good news, then played this hand (1st one in SS BH) bet flop ok? turn and riv ok? obv he can have the nuts but w/e #703001081 
    Posted by GREGHOGG

I was SHOCKED tbh!

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday night live with Sarah and Ross *****official show thread***** : Maybe if you're wearing a low-cut top. ;)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Will whack a wonderbra on too just for you ;)  I'm not shaving my chest though
  • edited October 2013
    Hi guys,

Regarding that AKs hand....

Basically, he's repping nothing no big value hands at all with his flop raise. If he did have an 8 he's either gonna flat for deception or if he does raise, he'd raise more than a clickback considering were 300xBB deep.

By the river I put him on a range of pretty much two big paint cards or small PPs. I'm ahead of all of the high card combos that haven't hit the river, the only reason I donk bet is because I know he'll checkback and win with all his small PPs when I could get him to fold them. The only small danger is if he's managed to hit that Q on the river with some of his paint combos, otherwise I think he folds pretty much his entire range.
  • edited October 2013

What makes a good poker player:

1) Raising huge with aces, and getting called by kings or queens

2) Calling all-in with the nut low, and hitting the river

3) Donking out with a pot sized bet, whenever you have top pair or better

4) Making a tiny c-bet, when you want to draw to a gutshot

5) Accidentally inducing a bluff, and then calling it off with bottom pair

6) Four betting the flop all-in, with top pair top kicker

7) Check-calling every time you have two overcards

8) Limping in from any seat, with weak aces, small pairs and any two suited

9) Last but not least, when you make the nuts on the river, use up all your timebank first before calling the all-in bet J

• edited October 2013
    hi sarah & ross i'm trying 2 build my bankroll. i'm up £60 in d cash games and deposit no money yet??.
  • edited October 2013

when I am on a micro stakes I never can get much money in the pot with my good hands because my bets will just be getting called or folded.
    normally all I am thinking they will hold is a draw gut shot or strong hand if I have a good hand should I just shove it on the turn rather than value bet?

I did do that in my last hand the villain had QJ i bet pot he flat calls so i decided to jam and he called.