You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

do you play for profit or enjoyment?

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
i play for enjoyment and the profit is just a bonus.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Enjoyment, but it's nice to make a small profit for doing it! :)
  • edited December 2009
    ENJOYMENT FIRST! ITS A GAME AFTER ALL.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN I DONT TRY TO MAKE A PROFIT, OF COURSE!

GR8 QUESTION BTW
  • edited December 2009
    pure enjoyment for me as i seem to make a lose more then anything lol
  • edited December 2009

Surely this is a 'no brainer'?

U cant have 1 without the other.

U cnt enjoy losing money, so obviously you try and win. If u do, u enjoy it. If u lose, u dont.

If ur making a profit and still not enjoying it, you MUST be already loaded and the money means nowt to ya.

Anyone who says they enjoy playing if theyre losing all the time, has either got a scre/w loose, or is a liar! The amount of posts I read moaning about bad beats etc etc - These guys must be losing, and are clearly not enjoying it.

Play to win - Therefore, the only answer is profit! - Which results in enjoyment :)

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    DOHH put it pretty good for what i was going to say.

I play for profit but i love the game so its kinda hand in hand. Even when i drop an amount that makes me wanna punch a wall through i still enjoy playing because i like the competition and when you recoup those loses / or just win if feels good.
  • edited December 2009
    I claim the 5th amendment
  • edited December 2009
    I play for profit but have fun along the way with the other players.
    Being on a low income I rely on my poker winnings as kind of an "Evening Job" . This doesn't mean I wont have a laugh with the other players though!
  • edited December 2009
    According to my account, I have made a clear profit of £1,045.28 in the last 2 months playing MTTs on this site. This figure will not change my life in the slightest. I think the majority of players are like me - they'll play their ten or twenty quid MTTs and not be bothered whether they win or lose. They're not interested in becoming semi-pro, grinding out results and moving up in stakes, they treat it just like a game of darts at the pub.

I am fortunate to have had 4 years of other people paying for my entertainment on this site. If I stopped enjoying it I would stop playing, even if I was making money hand over fist.

Don't waste your life playing this silly game if you're not enjoying it.

Enjoyment!

• edited December 2009
    Enjoyment for now...

2010 going to be the year of seriousness though, try to stick to a schedule and grind out some winnings.
    Starting with SPT Newcastle!
    One of us is going to have a good start to the year!
  • edited December 2009
    Profit all the way.  Sometimes I have no enjoyment playing, but I still grind.  Then again when I lose it all in the pit I'm then playing to pay for a new lap top and a big bunch of flowers for the gf ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Mainly for enjoyment but as DOHHHH & Nutter have said the 2 really go hand in hand. I know I certainly wouldn't enjoy it if I didn't make some sort of profit!
  • edited December 2009
    i play for profit but also because i love playing . if i didnt win i couldnt afford to play evry night.
  • edited December 2009
    i play for profit on here and other sites i make between  4k and 6k a year
  • edited December 2009
    I play for enjoyment and if I can make a small profit on the way all the better.
    I am never going to be a big hitter on the site and I enjoy my Poker as it is a break from my 24/7 caring duties for my wife.
  • edited December 2009
    I play it because I enjoy very much.....winning is a bonus.....but doesnt happen very often :(
  • edited December 2009

I'm amazed so many have said profit tbh - there are easier and better ways of making money than grinding at the card table. If you're going to spend 10 or more hours a week doing something, then at least enjoy it!

Remember the old joke - how do you get a poker pro off your doorstep?

Pay him for the pizza!
  • edited December 2009

Stt for profit and mtt for enjoyment and hopefully profit lol

• edited December 2009

Mostly same as Dohh, if I'm  not winning / profitable, it's pretty hard to laugh and have a good time, also mainly the mtt's for enjoyment as many sit and goers dont know how to talk.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: do you play for profit or enjoyment?:
    Surely this is a 'no brainer'? U cant have 1 without the other. U cnt enjoy losing money, so obviously you try and win. If u do, u enjoy it. If u lose, u dont. If ur making a profit and still not enjoying it, you MUST be already loaded and the money means nowt to ya. Anyone who says they enjoy playing if theyre losing all the time, has either got a scre/w loose, or is a liar! The amount of posts I read moaning about bad beats etc etc - These guys must be losing, and are clearly not enjoying it. Play to win - Therefore, the only answer is profit! - Which results in enjoyment :) DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    There must be people who enjoy playing even if they lose, or they would stop playing and YOU woldn't make any profit. All th amateur players who claim to be infront can't all be telling the truth or nobody would be making anything
  • edited December 2009
    Would love to play for profit, but not good enough yet!! Currently playing to improve my skill in order to make profit. I keep playing cos i love the heart racing moment when you press the all-in button and your 2 pair turns into a full house and then your pocket jacks suddenly become......4 Jacks!!! yes that happened tm me tonight, todays profit was about £10, not much compared to you "high rollers" but it means i can keep playing for a while as i have found win or lose i am becoming addicted to a silly card game. But as many others have said its better to finish ahead.
  • FBSFBS
    edited December 2009
    I play for enjoyment, fun, and the banter.

On the odd occasion I make a profit it's a bonus,

playing on here has cost me about £50 - £ 100 in the last year and i regard that as pretty cheap entertainemnt considering the number of hours I'm on the site,

Wish some of my other hobbies cost me as little ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Being a newcomer to the game,i cant say its for profit so must be for enjoyment.We will see in time.
  • edited December 2009
    I play because I am addicted
  • edited December 2009
    i try to play for profit and enjoyment,

unfortunately i mostly lose but i can combat this by focusing on my winning sessions and blowing them well out of proportion, 3 losing sessions is counteracted by one winning session

this way i can enjoy playing even if i lose long term.
  • edited December 2009
    i try to play for profit and enjoyment, unfortunately i mostly lose but i can combat this by focusing on my winning sessions and blowing them well out of proportion, 3 losing sessions is counteracted by one winning session this way i can enjoy playing even if i lose long term.
    Posted by royal_hugo
    Why the sarcasm? There was just no need for it.
  • edited December 2009
    Both!!!

That is all!!!
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: do you play for profit or enjoyment? : Why the sarcasm? There was just no need for it.
    Posted by BigBluster
    give it a rest m8.. you have a problem with everything i post.

I wasnt being sarcastic, that is the truth and is the same for other players

wins can blind you of losses and the good feeling of winning can outweigh the dissapointment of losing for some people... but as long as people can remember and enjoy a winning session like me i will keep coming back. you play to win because you enjoy winning.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: do you play for profit or enjoyment? : Why the sarcasm? There was just no need for it.
    Posted by BigBluster
    also you are completely dilusional if you even begin to think you have any censorship over what i post.
  • edited December 2009
    Everyone wants to say for profit, its only natural, but what if you had to grind and grind to make that profit and it wasnt fun anymore? i think thats what some are saying, including me. I make a very tidy sum in wages for the job i do, im not bragging and not saying how much i earn but for me to make the same from poker as i do from work is a no brainer. Wife and kids, mortgage and holidays paid for guaranteed Versus the hope of untold whatever?? plus the added risk of losing everything, anyone who takes poker as a hobby (99% of us) will say the same, its fun and a past time. One more point, if i lost my entire bankroll today it would mean absolutely nothing to me in terms of my lifestyle, its completely fun money which is what it should be for 99% of players.