You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

If you were 1 of the mentors....

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Who would you whittle down to your last 6?

Just wondering who everyone rates on the site, everyone has a different opinion on all players.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    As i dont really know anyone or anyone's skills as i dont play that often, ill just choose the the players ive heard of...

Lolufold
    Gliterbabe
    Dantb10
    Pokerbcity
    Sharksbite
    ...and me as player/mentor haha

• edited December 2009
    me
    mr mbro
    mickjenn1
    themonk 82
    glitterbabe
    lolufold
  • edited December 2009
    IN TORNS ANJIE1970, JP DERRY, MR MBRO, DAVE 39, MABSUE, SUE MAB, HANSON, GREGHOGG, VOLCANO N SO ON N SO ON
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah, I spose I agree with Norbit.  The higher stakes players are there for a reason.  Because they are good.  I would be surprised if it wasnt a player from these stakes who actually wins this thing even though they say it could be anyone at any stakes.
  • edited December 2009

Offshoot, the most consistant, and freechips are the 2 people Id avoid if possible. Havent played much with Gregghogg, but on the occasions I have, hes taken money off me everytime. Wudnt say I particuarly fear him but he aint gonna make many mistakes, so he wud be in. Bigshann likewise. FORDYCE wud probably be the final name.

If I sat down at my regular game and found that line up, its gonna be hard work trying to make money!!

Myself obviously, wudnt be a genuine post if I wasn't being arrogant! ;)

DOHH

• edited December 2009
      Not a surprise to see the names being thrown around are the well known and big hitters on the site. There are some very talented people playing at all levels throughout the site. The players mentioned all have the roll to play the big events or the high stakes tables so for me it would be nice to see some of the lesser known players being given a chance to shine. The main thing with this is it should be about ability and scope for improvement and the size of a players roll should not determine whether they are considered. This being said i still expect the rest of this thread to be filled with all the same names that are bandied around the site.
  • edited December 2009
    There are SOOOOO many to choose from it is an impossible task.

But, you couldnt go wrong with dantb10 and pokerbcity (proven success in the WSOP already)

Out of the mtt players and "all rounders", two of the most consistant imo are phil12uk, and tallboy, and they would give you a good run for your money. (i'd pick tikay too if i could in this category!)

bennydip2 and uzilover, have excellent games and no fear so they would have a great shot of winning the big prize (or going out in five minutes) so they would be my gambles.

Thats me done, apologies to any1 ive missed out, i honestly could have picked another 30 or 40!

WHOOPS, i must include IRISHROVER! an excellent record at the lower stake mtts! But who do i leave out? omg i give up!

• edited December 2009
    thank you dohhhh, i also think offshoot,ajs and lolufold these r all in a class of their own gerrard9 and glitterbabe would have to be another 2 who will be up there,  i dont play many mtt or stt so i cant say who is any good but i have played ben (nutter) a few times and he is good.  pokerbcity also will be up there as 2/2 cash's at wsop is just brill.
  • edited December 2009
    As talon said some plyers have pretty big rolls yes - but i dont think ANY of the above have to roll to blow $10k + expenses on a vegas tourny except lolufold.

My list will be biased a tiny bit as i play with some of them alot / have and know thier games.

Will brewin - absolutely solid solid player
    Dantb10 - Incredibly consistent and his deepstack results are impressive [which the 2 1k and 10k tourns will be]
    Sharksbite - Very good all round game
    Glitterbabe - kinda reminds me of my style but i think he would do well in vegas

I dont think these players need to imrpve all that much but seen as 10% winnings are thier !!! they would get a defo pick

The last two i would pick from a whole host of players i personally could improve thier game for them and be the "dark horses"

Gregg, flash, freechips, phil12uk, angjie, uzi_lover, solack, haysie, theswiss, massie...

just from he top of my head mind.

• edited December 2009
    Cormach
    SolarCarro
    Loki
    Tallboy
    Joobs (saving my manhood here, its a pity the TP coincides with her heaviest work period, she wanted to have a real go at this)
    Sky_Dave
  • edited December 2009
    good post flash

think they are quite a few decnt players on here

id prob mix it up with solid and agg -

jimifloyd - nutter - phil 12 uk - will brewin (obv reason you gotta give him credit 2 cashes on the trot)
    dan tb10, anjie - tallboy - launder - lolufold like evryone says ive prob missed a few off (sorry)

but I think with these guys there is a bit of everything

• edited December 2009
    I've not been on Sky Poker long enough to establish myself for something like this but if i was one of the mentors of all the players i've played against online and live at SPT Manchester, the six i would pick would be the following:

phil12uk
    DELTA
    GREGHOGG
    Sky_Dave
    Sharksbite
    BIG SHANN

• edited December 2009
    If they're just going to pick Will Brewin to go to Vegas and pocket 10% of his winnings, the whole set up will become a farce and fall into disrepute (nothing against Will of course).

I truly hope they look around the 30p and £1 SnGs and pluck some raw talent from obscurity. Or maybe some of the afternoon MTT players who are on average miles better than the evening players (and we form quite a close knit club too).

I'll name Craigieboy or Angelkey - not because they're the best players on the site, they're not, but because even I can see they've got something in their games.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors....:
    As i dont really know anyone or anyone's skills as i dont play that often, ill just choose the the players ive heard of... Lolufold Gliterbabe Dantb10 Pokerbcity Sharksbite ...and me as player/mentor haha
    Posted by Norbit
    i suspect you will be right,as these players play at the highest stake andcearn sky the most money!!
    that does not make them the best players though....pokerbcity aside i think most of the others would struggle on a even playing field
  • edited December 2009
    The higher stakes players are there for a reason.  Because they are good. 
    Posted by OMahonyO
    The problem with the higher stakes players is that they all play each other! What's the point being the 6th best player on the site when the only 5 who play with you are better than you?
    And what's the point of being the best player on the site if you only play with the 2nd and 3rd best, where you are 2% better than them and the rake is 10%?

The higher stakes players may be good, but most of them are certainly not that smart!

• edited December 2009
    Good question Charlie.

There are lots of good players on Sky but it's very hard to pick a top six.

Sharkscope is one of the best indicators if you have a sample of approx 1000 games, sadly there are no stats for cash.

Here's some

Sharksbite, Uzi Lover, Thetank, Mickjenn1, freechips, Nutter5932,
    Phil12uk, Dantb10, Youngster, Massie29, lib1989, anjie1970
    & Me ;

• edited December 2009
    well said big bluster a lot better players at the lower stakes there that go unnoticed just not got the bankroll to play with the big boys
  • edited December 2009
    i dont know to much about the higher stakes players but Jimifloyd is incredibly consistant at the mid stakes sit & go's,so i would chose him.
  • edited December 2009
    n Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors....:
    If they're just going to pick Will Brewin to go to Vegas and pocket 10% of his winnings, the whole set up will become a farce and fall into disrepute (nothing against Will of course). I truly hope they look around the 30p and £1 SnGs and pluck some raw talent from obscurity. Or maybe some of the afternoon MTT players who are on average miles better than the evening players (and we form quite a close knit club too). I'll name Craigieboy or Angelkey - not because they're the best players on the site, they're not, but because even I can see they've got something in their games.
    Posted by BigBluster

how could it be someone playing 30p stt if ur good you will move up in stakes and dont say they cant aford it coz if they where any good they would be winning so would be able to move up.  I started sky playin 5p/10p it took me less than 30 days and i was playin 25/50.
  • edited December 2009
      Scaraman !   The guys a nightmare to play in Mtt's !! 
    Aggressive Fearless Brave and Good, I don't know if he's had any live experience though  but he would be on my short list...  
    Other than him there's many many  players who could  be considered, and as Big Buster said, the mentor is in for 10% .. so that will sway their thinking, it would  mine as well !! 
    However I thought  the end result  was down to a vote by the forum public, I could have misunderstood that part,  I have been known to be wrong before   :)) haha ha
  • edited December 2009
    Freechips basically put what i was going to say regarding "high stakes players"

You realise that 99% of the high stakes players started off with a very small bankroll just like you all ? i started with £25 3 years ago now - if your good enough you will progress through the stakes.

I persoanlly don't like the fact people are already against players such as will brewin being selected - yes he might play 1/2 cash and win a fair bit but in comparison...everybody on this site plays low stakes poker apart from £2.5/5 cash which is considered medium - high stakes 25/50 !

I don't rate my chances at getting in this thing based on my last 2 months form but when are the players are selected. I will vote for who in my opinion is the BEST TOTAL PLAYER. After all its upto us the players to select the player who is just that. That player may well be Will brewin for example but you have to respect how much work he has put in to get that opportunity and who he has beat to get thier. Some players play some sick sick hours because its thier Jobs -

I for one shall be playing mad hours just to try stake my claim in this even though im on one of those awful runs lately. If hand historys are searched etc im sure thats my glimmer of hope, Just dont be biased to who you play with or like personally. No one doubts the best player on this site may well play .02/.04 cash or 30p DYMs but they have to put some effort into to achieve being noticed also.

Another small rant kinda but its my views.
  • edited December 2009
    Freechips basically put what i was going to say regarding "high stakes players" You realise that 99% of the high stakes players started off with a very small bankroll just like you all ? i started with £25 3 years ago now - if your good enough you will progress through the stakes. I persoanlly don't like the fact people are already against players such as will brewin being selected - yes he might play 1/2 cash and win a fair bit but in comparison...everybody on this site plays low stakes poker apart from £2.5/5 cash which is considered medium - high stakes 25/50 ! I don't rate my chances at getting in this thing based on my last 2 months form but when are the players are selected. I will vote for who in my opinion is the BEST TOTAL PLAYER. After all its upto us the players to select the player who is just that. That player may well be Will brewin for example but you have to respect how much work he has put in to get that opportunity and who he has beat to get thier. Some players play some sick sick hours because its thier Jobs - I for one shall be playing mad hours just to try stake my claim in this even though im on one of those awful runs lately. If hand historys are searched etc im sure thats my glimmer of hope, Just dont be biased to who you play with or like personally. No one doubts the best player on this site may well play .02/.04 cash or 30p DYMs but they have to put some effort into to achieve being noticed also. Another small rant kinda but its my views.
    Posted by Nutter5932

Same here, and that includes Will Brewin imo

Good post m8

• edited December 2009
    how could it be someone playing 30p stt if ur good you will move up in stakes and dont say they cant aford it coz if they where any good they would be winning so would be able to move up. 
    Posted by freechips1
    I wouldn't judge people's wealth by the stakes they choose to play cards at!
    There are a few millionaires who play £5-10 tourneys on this site, just for the fun of it. The stakes you play at are a matter of personal choice and nothing more. Did you know that Bill Gates plays golf for ONE DOLLAR and no more, when he's made over 10 million dollars in the time it takes him to complete the round?

As an aside, it really makes me laugh when a player without a pot to fill urinally, calls a millionaire an idiot and a fool over a £2 pound game of cards!
  • edited December 2009

What a great poser of a question. I will name 6 people who i am wary of when against them as my 6 :

flashflush, nutter, sharksbite, anjie, scotty and solack.

Could have named lots more and thanks for those who voted for me so far.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors.... : The problem with the higher stakes players is that they all play each other! What's the point being the 6th best player on the site when the only 5 who play with you are better than you? And what's the point of being the best player on the site if you only play with the 2nd and 3rd best, where you are 2% better than them and the rake is 10%? The higher stakes players may be good, but most of them are certainly not that smart!
    Posted by BigBluster
    i totally agree with you,i've watched these players for hours and mostly they are just swapping money around untill aces v kings come up and someone takes the lot..
  • edited December 2009
    There are a lot a good players on here my top 6 would be

ANJIE1970
    Nutter5932
    GREGHOGG
    Solack
    Tallboy
    phil12uk

Never like being on the same table as these guys

• edited December 2009

I would just like to second what nutter and gregg have said previously. I too started with about £10 about three years ago, and have worked so hard in improving my game through experience and studying strategy. I completely agree that just because a player might be playing 500nl, this doesnt make him a better player that a 30p dym player.

But i would hate to think that a successful player such as ben or will would be overlooked because they have been successful. I feel if a player has shown the dedication and commitment to improve and has grinded their way up to a certain limit then would this not be the perfect criteria that the judges would be looking for?

I would think that most players on the site who play at any blind level with varying bankrolls would love to win this competition as i would think very few players are rolled for $10,000 tourneys!

I wish every player at all limits the best of luck.

Dan

• edited December 2009
    I can't believe no-one has chosen me yet...

I won the Open! Back in October.

I doubled up in my first ever game of Omaha the other night. A £5 DYM.

I also earned £5 in the last Cash for Points bonus.

Come on people, the answer's right in front of you!

;)
  • edited December 2009
    I can't believe no-one has chosen me yet... I won the Open! Back in October. I doubled up in my first ever game of Omaha the other night. A £5 DYM. I also earned £5 in the last Cash for Points bonus. Come on people, the answer's right in front of you! ;)
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    You forgot to mention that TKO tourney Rich....   :)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors.... : You forgot to mention that TKO tourney Rich....   :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    TK- what tournament? Nope, never heard of it mate...