You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

If you were 1 of the mentors....

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors....:
    I would just like to second what nutter and gregg have said previously. I too started with about £10 about three years ago, and have worked so hard in improving my game through experience and studying strategy. I completely agree that just because a player might be playing 500nl, this doesnt make him a better player that a 30p dym player. But i would hate to think that a successful player such as ben or will would be overlooked because they have been successful. I feel if a player has shown the dedication and commitment to improve and has grinded their way up to a certain limit then would this not be the perfect criteria that the judges would be looking for? I would think that most players on the site who play at any blind level with varying bankrolls would love to win this competition as i would think very few players are rolled for $10,000 tourneys! I wish every player at all limits the best of luck. Dan
    Posted by dantb10
    I think the key point that I and others are trying to make is that the limit you play at doesn't necessarily indicate much. There are £100/£200 tables on this site - plenty of us could sit down there tomorrow if we so desired, but for whatever reason we choose to play ten quid MTTs or 50p SnGs or 4p cash.

I really do hope they don't pick the usual suspects. I hope they go for some unknowns AND people who contribute to this site in some wider way.

• edited December 2009
    There are a lot a good players on here my top 6 would be ANJIE1970 Nutter5932 GREGHOGG Solack Tallboy phil12uk Never like being on the same table as these guys
    Posted by Uzi_lover
    Not bothered about any of these guys because I know them. I'm sure none of them lose any sleep about facing me either!

I can cope with these guys because they all know what they're doing. It's the complete wild cards I struggle with. I bet they would all say the same about facing each other.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors.... : TK- what tournament? Nope, never heard of it mate...
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    You don't remember Leg 2 of TKO where i went through 30 of Tikay's Gnomes by myself for Team Orford with a virtual sledgehammer and i won Leg 2 of TKO all by myself but the team got well and truly screwed in the team event by some bad numeracy by the accounting adjudicators lol!
  • edited December 2009

Personally I would search to see who has won the most over last few months as long as they have played enough hands to make the results useful. There is no other way of judging players as problem with Poker is you can quite easily look like a genius or complete fool just looking at a few hands, In poker long term profit or loss is the scorecard.

It would be really interesting to see exactly how much regs make, we can guess but ultimatly thats all it is. We may be able to one day if HEM is ever enabled on the site but theres other threads to debate pros/cons of that.

I have already had a phone call regarding total player and talking to a couple of regs in the games I play they have too.

• edited December 2009
    Wow really tough but I have huge respect for quite a few lower stakes and higher for that matter.

Really impressed with the APAT qualifiers, standard of play in that was pretty high.

My top 10 really are:

Tallboy, GregHogg, Kaidus, Irishrover, Massie29, Sharksbite, Solack, OnlyOneCT, TheSwiss, BigShann

Equally

MickJenn1, Phil12UK, Flashflush, Dantb10, Gerrard9, Gliterbabe, Karlluke, Delta, Nutter5932, TheSaw, Mike1975, Uzilover, Bennydip2, Razorkev.

Lower stakes - Margatemaf, jamielou, Destiny33.

Dave
  • edited December 2009
    Congratulations AJS - get playing some deepstacks - guessing the 110 on a sunday night for your tourny game :)
  • edited December 2009
    lolufold, launder, ajs4385, sharksbite, Glitterbabe

questionable lists ITT
  • edited December 2009
    lolufold, launder, ajs4385, sharksbite, Glitterbabe questionable lists ITT
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    If it were my choice, I would definitely have YOU in my top 3 LF. Why? Because you're not as good as you think you are; you are an awful tournament player; there's loads of scope for improvement (though you'd never agree, you think you're perfect right now. What could Ed or TK teach you, you know it already) but you could definitely be moulded into a truly great player.
  • edited December 2009
    Freechips basically put what i was going to say regarding "high stakes players" You realise that 99% of the high stakes players started off with a very small bankroll just like you all ? i started with £25 3 years ago now - if your good enough you will progress through the stakes. I persoanlly don't like the fact people are already against players such as will brewin being selected - yes he might play 1/2 cash and win a fair bit but in comparison...everybody on this site plays low stakes poker apart from £2.5/5 cash which is considered medium - high stakes 25/50 ! I don't rate my chances at getting in this thing based on my last 2 months form but when are the players are selected. I will vote for who in my opinion is the BEST TOTAL PLAYER. After all its upto us the players to select the player who is just that. That player may well be Will brewin for example but you have to respect how much work he has put in to get that opportunity and who he has beat to get thier. Some players play some sick sick hours because its thier Jobs - I for one shall be playing mad hours just to try stake my claim in this even though im on one of those awful runs lately. If hand historys are searched etc im sure thats my glimmer of hope, Just dont be biased to who you play with or like personally. No one doubts the best player on this site may well play .02/.04 cash or 30p DYMs but they have to put some effort into to achieve being noticed also. Another small rant kinda but its my views.
    Posted by Nutter5932
    I see what you are saying, but are you playing the same style of poker now as you were back then with ur £25 roll?
    Don`t get me wrong, there is every possibility there is a budding pro in the making playing 2p/4p right now, but how are they going to shine for the mentors?  They are not going to be on 2nd, or 3rd level thinking even if they were capable of it.  They are going to be playing to make money which is abc.

You cannot beat that level with fancy moves.

you could make a move at 2/4p and look like a donk, make the same move at 2/4£ and look like a genius.

The bigger players who started out small know what goes on down there and it would be much easier for them to drop down than those down there to go up
  • edited December 2009
    Why does everyone attack the high stakes players?? It's everyones hope/dream to be up there one day. Personally i deposited £5 earlier this year and played 30p dym games... i moved up every level and now play £3.30 and £5.50 dym... im grinding my way up and as the high stakes players have said they started small and made their way up... proof is in the pudding eh?
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Guys,
    I think some of you have lost sight of the overall intent of Total Player.
    This is to find someone who can improve their game and hopefully get to a certain standard to compete in some big games.
    I have no axe to grind with ANY players on this site, but, imo, if the mentors ONLY choose players from the higher stakes, the whole thing will lose any credibility.
    Surely the best they can do is pick players from across the spectrum of levels, as skill does not always equate to the size of your bankroll.
    I agree that Will Brewin has PROVED that he could do the job at the higher levels, but who is to say that, with the correct backing that I couldn't reach that level of skill as well.
    Don't get me wrong I don't believe I will be chosen, but i think it would be great to see someone like me, who understands the game a bit, to get the chance to have some coaching to become a better player.

One final thought, this was an interesting thread but we have to beware that if we name players and they don't make the lists it can be a bit unfair on the people picked, that they may think they don't have the full backing of the community. So my advice would be to wait until the mentors have picked their choices first, then we can debate their merits.

Rant over, good luck to everyone

Col
  • edited December 2009

Hi all, 
            seems silly this small stakes / big stakes issue,

it does not matter either way ,

here is one reason why,

once upon a time there was a little irishrover [ postman pat ]

he deposited 50 pounds in the very sinful game of poker in sky,

oh them nasty  players on sky had eating up poor little  irishrovers  50 pounds in no time,

did irishrover cry big tears after that loss ? yes he did  !

but he put in another 50 pounds and remembered the fairy poker granfathers[ tk ]words ,

" irish you must be patience and deal with badbeats better ",

and so he did ,

now at present that little  irishrover is £7,400 in profit from his second £50 deposit,

his biggest win was on a freeroll £300 pounds ,

he never bets more than £5 pounds,

and little  irishrover spends his bankroll to pay his nasty credit card ,

he always likes to leave around £150 in his account to accommodate a bad run of cards,

and his credit card is used to buy his kiddies goodies,

only fair for the time and energy that he puts in to skypoker,

so hence the moral of the story is,

you don't have to be a highstakes player to win big on skypoker.

your irish little poker stakes m8 rover.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors.... : (though you'd never agree, you think you're perfect right now.)
    Posted by BigBluster
    I don't.

I really, really, really don't.

And i wasn't inferring I should be top 5, i'm not top 50.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: If you were 1 of the mentors.... : The problem with the higher stakes players is that they all play each other! What's the point being the 6th best player on the site when the only 5 who play with you are better than you? And what's the point of being the best player on the site if you only play with the 2nd and 3rd best, where you are 2% better than them and the rake is 10%? The higher stakes players may be good, but most of them are certainly not that smart!
    Posted by BigBluster
    What you are saying then is that all these players are making a loss??  This post makes no sense
  • edited December 2009
    without sounding offensive, I think many of your are losing what the thread started about,
    its wasn't about "whose a big player" "whose a small player"
    it was simply a question of who you would choose

alot of big players have got there roll from starting small
    and some prefer to stay at low stakes

get back to what the thread was hey guys n girls
  • edited December 2009
    ive only been on the site since the start of last month everyone you talk about have been on years thats were there names are known and because they play in most of the televised tourneys that cost a little too much for my liking ive played a few and won money but prefer playing £5 mtt ive won my fair share and im happy with them, mainly because ive got this pesky little mutt that wants to go outside evry 2 mins just to annoy me and ive seen that it affects my game with been too all iny through being anoyed by the dog.
    i dont know many players on here ive seen some names and some that pop up more than others, good luck and fair play too the person thats chosen and im sure it will be someone they have seen for years, not a newbie that has just come and loses with all ins lol.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi all,          seems silly this small stakes / big stakes issue, it does not matter either way , here is one reason why, once upon a time there was a little irishrover [ postman pat ] he deposited 50 pounds in the very sinful game of poker in sky, oh them nasty  players on sky had eating up poor little  irishrovers  50 pounds in no time, did irishrover cry big tears after that loss ? yes he did  ! but he put in another 50 pounds and remembered the fairy poker granfathers[ tk ]words , " irish you must be patience and deal with badbeats better ", and so he did , now at present that little  irishrover is £7,400 in profit from his second £50 deposit, his biggest win was on a freeroll £300 pounds , he never bets more than £5 pounds, and little  irishrover spends his bankroll to pay his nasty credit card , he always likes to leave around £150 in his account to accommodate a bad run of cards, and his credit card is used to buy his kiddies goodies, only fair for the time and energy that he puts in to skypoker, so hence the moral of the story is, you don't have to be a highstakes player to win big on skypoker. your irish little poker stakes m8 rover.
    Posted by IRISHROVER
      Nice one mate, dont know if making it sound like a fairy tale helps. It does go to show that quality does exist on the lower stakes. People play these levels for many reasons amd putting family first is as good a reason as any. I have played you many times and you have an annoying habit of taking my chips. I for one would love to see you up there in the running showing the big names how its done. You have good game and will soon have omaha cracked and the world will be next. Good luck on the tables mate