You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's in a name?

edited November 2013 in Poker Chat

I can't be the only one that thinks that the name of the "Sky Poker UK Poker Championship" is a little bit silly. It doesn't exactly trip off the tongue and wouldn't get very far on Just a minute.

Easily mended with an insertion of a colon and a "The", in my opinion.

Sky Poker: The United Kingdom Poker Championship

Sky Poker: UKPC

Sky Poker: The UK Poker Championship

Anyone have a superior suggestion that wouldn't require a huge rebranding exercise, but makes the name a little less... dumb?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    It's the repitition of the word "poker" that just makes it sound tacky to me.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name?:
    It's the repitition of the word "poker" that just makes it sound tacky to me.
    Posted by FCHD
    +1

But all the material is put together now and they're not going to take out either "poker". Trying to find ways to make it more palatable.
  • edited November 2013
    Place " the"  before sky. 
  • edited November 2013
    Flash Flush suggested

Sky Poker UK National Championships 

somewhere else. 

Thats my fav

• edited November 2013
    Flash Flush suggested Sky Poker UK National Championships  somewhere else.  Thats my fav
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hmmm, I wonder why! :O)
  • edited November 2013
    My vote is for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships of Poker.

• edited November 2013
    My vote is for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships of Poker.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    What about; The Ultimate Poker Sky Poker Poker Championship of UK Poker?
  • edited November 2013
    Flash Flush suggested Sky Poker UK National Championships  somewhere else.  Thats my fav
    Posted by The_Don90
    i bet that just trips off your tongue Don:-)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : i bet that just trips off your tongue Don:-)
    Posted by igimc
    i vote for get a fuckinn  life!!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to What's in a name?:
    I can't be the only one that thinks that the name of the "Sky Poker UK Poker Championship" is a little bit silly. It doesn't exactly trip off the tongue and wouldn't get very far on Just a minute . Easily mended with an insertion of a colon and a "The", in my opinion. Sky Poker: The United Kingdom Poker Championship Sky Poker: UKPC Sky Poker: The UK Poker Championship Anyone have a superior suggestion that wouldn't require a huge rebranding exercise, but makes the name a little less... dumb?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    You may think it "dumb" Borin, but is called that exact name for a very specific reason.

It is a bit of a mouthful, yes, but it has to be exactly that, for a specific reason. I'll leave you to ponder what that reason is. ;)

• edited November 2013
     @BL et al.....Just think of it as "Brand name" UK Poker Championship!  ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : What about; The Ultimate Poker Sky Poker Poker Championship of UK Poker?
    Posted by CraigSG1
    How about "Poker Tournament: The Sky Poker UK Poker Championships of Poker", or PT:TSPUKPCOP for short ;-)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to What's in a name? : You may think it "dumb" Borin, but is called that exact name for a very specific reason. It is a bit of a mouthful, yes, but it has to be exactly that, for a specific reason. I'll leave you to ponder what that reason is. ;)    
    Posted by Tikay10
    This has me intrigued, been wracking my brains to think of a really good reason... other than the obvious 'it does exactly what it says on the tin'.

I don't actually think there's any problem with it, everyone will naturally shorten it themselves to something that rolls off the tongue in time anyway. Everyone just seems to be calling it UKPC which seems easy enough to me... same number of letters as WSOP.
  • edited November 2013
    The facts are: its a sky poker tournement & its a uk championship,
  • edited November 2013
    Its because SKY POKER are sponsoring the UK POKER CHAMPIONSHIP.
    Like the Barclays premier league or the Aviva premiership.
    It is unfortunate that the word poker is stated twice but both are vital because its not SKY its SKY POKER who are putting there name to the UK poker championship.
  • edited November 2013
    I think we all realise why the name is what it is. Sky Poker is the sponsor, the UK Poker Championship is the tournament.

That doesn't change the fact that the first thing people think when they hear it is: "That's a dumb name".

No amount of justification after the fact is going to change that first impression and in branding, that first impression is important. The name currently isn't working for the festival, it's working against it. You may not think it's as daft as I do but I defy anyone to say that they think this name is actually good. 

It seems silly to bury heads in the sand about this when there's such an easy fix. Break up the flow of it by sticking a colon in there and the problem goes away.

Good reasons have driven the selection of a bad name. It may not be "Epic" but it certainly isn't good.
  • edited November 2013
    I think we all realise why the name is what it is. Sky Poker is the sponsor, the UK Poker Championship is the tournament. That doesn't change the fact that the first thing people think when they hear it is: "That's a dumb name". No amount of justification after the fact is going to change that first impression and in branding, that first impression is important. The name currently isn't working for the festival, it's working against it. You may not think it's as daft as I do but I defy anyone to say that they think this name is actually good.  It seems silly to bury heads in the sand about this when there's such an easy fix. Break up the flow of it by sticking a colon in there and the problem goes away. Good reasons have driven the selection of a bad name. It may not be "Epic" but it certainly isn't good.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I agree with your sentiments BL, but I think the eyecatching and memorable part of the tournament detail is the 500K guarantee, that makes up for any minor indescrepancies in the free flowingness of the name.

I think we would all be extremely happy to be called the Sky Poker UK Poker Championship Champion, even if it get worse as your achievement gets better, lol.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : I agree with your sentiments BL, but I think the eyecatching and memorable part of the tournament detail is the 500K guarantee, that makes up for any minor indescrepancies in the free flowingness of the name. I think we would all be extremely happy to be called the Sky Poker UK Poker Championship Champion, even if it get worse as your achievement gets better, lol.
    Posted by david666
    Well yes, if the worst complaint levelled against is that the name is cumbersome, I think we'll be delighted. We are working very hard bts to make this a really special Event, and fingers crossed, we will.

Meanwhile, the repetition of "poker" in the given name has some collateral benefits which are working in our favour.

I hope you get a shot at some of that £500,000 Guarantee, David. To some, making that Final Table would be life-changing, especially for the winner who will take home a six-figure sum. And they might just get a very nice trophy, sufficiently wide to include the whole title.   

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : Well yes, if the worst complaint levelled against is that the name is cumbersome, I think we'll be delighted. We are working very hard bts to make this a really special Event, and fingers crossed, we will. Meanwhile, the repetition of "poker" in the given name has some collateral benefits which are working in our favour. I hope you get a shot at some of that £500,000 Guarantee, David. To some, making that Final Table would be life-changing, especially for the winner who will take home a six-figure sum. And they might just get a very nice trophy, sufficiently wide to include the whole title.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    could you explain these benefits?
  • edited November 2013
    Whenever I see the UKPC at first glance I always think I have won/done something as I think it's my alias. I know all the letters are not the same but it's quite similar at first glance!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : could you explain these benefits?
    Posted by The_Don90
    I'll let you ponder that for now Don!

Meanwhile, BIG night tonight, with the 2nd of our weekly Finals, @ 9.15pm, there are 31 runners so far (6+ seats to Nottingham), plus a Semi Final at 7.15pm which has 16 entries with an hour to go plus Late Reg, so that is at least 3 more seats into the 9.15pm Final.

I hope you'll be amongst those trying a few Satellites, & good luck if you do.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : Well yes, if the worst complaint levelled against is that the name is cumbersome, I think we'll be delighted. We are working very hard bts to make this a really special Event, and fingers crossed, we will. Meanwhile, the repetition of "poker" in the given name has some collateral benefits which are working in our favour. I hope you get a shot at some of that £500,000 Guarantee, David. To some, making that Final Table would be life-changing, especially for the winner who will take home a six-figure sum. And they might just get a very nice trophy, sufficiently wide to include the whole title.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I might be still partying from taking down the High Roller event to perform optimally in the Main Event, but I'll give it my best shot guv
  • edited November 2013
    I think it's reasonably clear that you don't like the name Borin. That's fine, it's your opinion. It doesn't actually mean it's "dumb"
    Starting a thread about it seems a little pointless.
    I doubt very much someone fom Sky just made it up and everybody just said "err, yeah, that'll do"

• edited November 2013

Jac, starting threads about almost anything is pointless. Is there really much point in posting diaries of our progress in poker? Do any of the people reading them actually have any stake in us? Mostly not, I would think, however some find it interesting and that's the justification for us posting such things. This is interesting to me and obviously to others as well. Note the number of responses.

I have suggested there's an issue that could be easily mended and I have suggested a remedy. Clearly it's my opinion as it's me that is saying it. I don't think I need to spell that out with the words "In my opinion" unless I could possibly be mistaken for a representative of the British government or some other organisation. Mine is, though, an opinion clearly shared by a great many people.

While some have defended the reasoning behind the name, nobody on this thread has actually defended it by saying it's a good name. That's probably because most of us don't think it is a good name.

As for it being "dumb": well, I'm sorry but I think it is. A great many people I've spoken to think it is. It has no bearing on me. I lose nothing from it. It is, however, something which will hold back the event if it isn't changed. That simply can't be denied as there are people out there like me, thinking it's dumb. Maybe it's not a huge problem... but then my response was only to start a forum thread - a proportional response - and not to start a nationwide protest movement. Why not start a thread about it?

As I said earlier, I'm sure there were good reasons to select this name. However, those good motives have led to a bad result.

I won't bother posting on this thread again. However, the thread is entirely justified.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : I'll let you ponder that for now Don! Meanwhile, BIG night tonight, with the 2nd of our weekly Finals, @ 9.15pm, there are 31 runners so far (6+ seats to Nottingham), plus a Semi Final at 7.15pm which has 16 entries with an hour to go plus Late Reg, so that is at least 3 more seats into the 9.15pm Final. I hope you'll be amongst those trying a few Satellites, & good luck if you do.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I would love to play this event. Unfortunetly with a damages roll, and weakened mental state atm i have decided to play much less poker and spend time with the family. 

Ill try work out the thing in title, and hope this event will go well. 

Gl to all in tonights sat
  • edited November 2013
    I really don't see how the name will ''hold the event back''. Yeah it's not the best name, but it's a 500k tourney held at the premium poker venue in the country. 

I don't think most/all of the top pro players in the country give a rats @rse what it's called. 
  • edited November 2013

Nobody's saying it will stop any pros from playing or that this is a major problem...

It does, though, leave a bad first impression. If it puts off the odd recreational player, or makes the event more difficult to promote, then it does hold it back. It won't be the difference between £100k overlay or £100k extra in the prizepool, but why saddle it with a bad name when it can be easily fixed?

Did I say I wouldn't post on this thread again? Never mind.

• edited November 2013
    Borin, yes, of course it's your right to start a thread if you so wish and most that you do are good. This one though, isn't.You've really spoken to a great many people about this? Why? A great many people share your view? Do they?
    You seriously believe that people may not play in a poker tournament because it has a "dumb" name? Really?

• edited November 2013
    Well, clearly the thread must be ridiculous Jac, because you've chosen to ridicule it.

If you disagree with opinions expressed, then make your arguments. The thread might not be important but, if you think so, just ignore it.

The whole point is that the name is not a good one. Clearly it isn't. You are not disputing that, yourself.

Have I spoken to a great many people about this? I suppose that depends on what you count as a great many. Clearly there are quite a few people on this thread and others who agree with me and I've discussed it briefly with some others. Does that amount to hundreds or thousands? Obviously not. Would a better phrase have been "quite a few"? Maybe so. I'll leave that for you to decide.

Might it put off the odd player? Well not someone who's already planning to go and play a big tournament or regularly does so. However, if that person casually asks a friend "would you like to try to qualify for this poker tournament with me?" and that friend's first reaction is "That sounds dumb" then yes, it's conceivable that the name may cause a casual player to not take the tournament seriously.

If branding and promotion weren't important, we'd all aspire to owning Toyota Prius' for their excellent fuel economy. Instead, most aspire to owning a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Branding is important and does make a difference. This tournament is an example of less than brilliant branding and it makes it tougher to promote.

Worth posting about? I don't care. I chose to post about it.
  • edited November 2013
    Well, clearly the thread must be ridiculous Jac, because you've chosen to ridicule it. If you disagree with opinions expressed, then make your arguments. The thread might not be important but, if you think so, just ignore it. The whole point is that the name is not a good one. Clearly it isn't. You are not disputing that, yourself. Have I spoken to a great many people about this? I suppose that depends on what you count as a great many. Clearly there are quite a few people on this thread and others who agree with me and I've discussed it briefly with some others. Does that amount to hundreds or thousands? Obviously not. Would a better phrase have been "quite a few"? Maybe so. I'll leave that for you to decide. Might it put off the odd player? Well not someone who's already planning to go and play a big tournament or regularly does so. However, if that person casually asks a friend "would you like to try to qualify for this poker tournament with me?" and that friend's first reaction is "That sounds dumb" then yes, it's conceivable that the name may cause a casual player to not take the tournament seriously. If branding and promotion weren't important, we'd all aspire to owning Toyota Prius' for their excellent fuel economy. Instead, most aspire to owning a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Branding is important and does make a difference. This tournament is an example of less than brilliant branding and it makes it tougher to promote. Worth posting about? I don't care. I chose to post about it.
    Posted by BorinLoner

I disagree with you, it's that simple
    I have no wish to argue with you. Maybe the use of the word "pointless" offended you. If that's the case, then I apologise.
    Be boring if everyone just agreed all the time.
    I just don't think that the name matters one jot regarding entries.
    Is it a good name? Is it a bad name? Couldn't care less. It is the name and it won't change and there will be plenty of reasons why it has been chosen