You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's in a name?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name?:
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : This has me intrigued, been wracking my brains to think of a really good reason... other than the obvious 'it does exactly what it says on the tin'. I don't actually think there's any problem with it, everyone will naturally shorten it themselves to something that rolls off the tongue in time anyway. Everyone just seems to be calling it UKPC which seems easy enough to me... same number of letters as WSOP.
    Posted by Lambert180
    What type of reputation do sky poker players have?

Bazinga ;)
  • edited November 2013
    borin,you,re over analizing things m8 its just a poker tourney chill dude
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: What's in a name? : What type of reputation do sky poker players have? Bazinga ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I DO however watch The Big Bang Theory! lolz!
  • edited November 2013
    My vote is for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships of Poker.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Nice1 James!

BL, i agree with you about the name not being very catchy, but doubt it will have an impact on numbers.

In the main whatever it is called, the vast majority of the players will be from outside of Sky.
  • edited November 2013
    fwiw Borin

i did wince when i saw the name - very disappointed with Sky Poker
    if the media cannot use good english what chance do mere mortals have of improving theirs
    doubt if it will impact the pokerati who will be attending though
    but pleased someone raised the topic - there is still hope.......

• edited November 2013
    I feel this thread has kinda run its course, but...

I think it's interesting that no-one has questioned the branding, and subsequent repetition, in the titles of OTHER major festivals, tours and TV shows. For example:

The PokerS[CENSORED]s European Poker Tour

The P[CENSORED]y Poker World Poker Tour

F[CENSORED]l T[CENSORED]t Poker Late Night Poker

• edited November 2013
    ^  above

name is fine

what about

Sky Poker UK Series Of Poker

SPUSOP

• edited November 2013
    To be honest, I never knew the EPT or the WPT by the sponsored names, I thought they were just called the "European Poker Tour" and the "World Poker Tour"
  • edited November 2013

It seems to be a matter which fixates some more than others.

In all the time I've been in poker, the name of a Tourney has never made me play it, or stopped me playing it. Poker players (in my experience) don't look at it that way, they look for structure, venue, value, Guarantee, camaradie with others, & mostly, an event which is well run, which they can maybe satellite into at a reasonable cost, & where some enjoyment is likely.

Sky Poker have a milion other things of more import - well, 500,101 more like - to concerrn themselves with on this Event, but the more noise the better, so if people want to diss the name, fair enough.

I hope to start a weekly Blog about the Event soon, with some of the backstory of how it was concieved, is getting on, & does, overall.

As long as the majority of those playing it enjoy the experience, we get enough runners, & it adds some credibility & profile to the Brand, we'll be very happy. So far, so good, the reaction right across the industry, & all poker Forums has been hugely positive. If the name is the only grounds for complaint, think we'd settle for that!

Keep the feedback coming, it's all good, even the bad. ;)

• edited November 2013

Borat has just sorted this 'epic' problem out for all.

It will be now called....

The Poker channel called Sky Poker which used to be on 865 but are now on 861 who are a online poker site but sometimes do a live Poker games and will be holding an live event in February 2014 at the home of Poker in Nottinghamshire of the Englandshire in the day of two day ones and then play different formats for everybody's enjoyment of the game of Poker...........

.......trophy.
  • edited November 2013
    Borat has just sorted this 'epic' problem out for all. It will be now called.... The Poker channel called Sky Poker which used to be on 865 but are now on 861 who are a online poker site but sometimes do a live Poker games and will be holding an live event in February 2014 at the home of Poker in Nottinghamshire of the Englandshire in the day of two day ones and then play different formats for everybody's enjoyment of the game of Poker........... .......trophy.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Catchy
  • edited November 2013
    Borat has just sorted this 'epic' problem out for all. It will be now called.... The Poker channel called Sky Poker which used to be on 865 but are now on 861 who are a online poker site but sometimes do a live Poker games and will be holding an live event in February 2014 at the home of Poker in Nottinghamshire of the Englandshire in the day of two day ones and then play different formats for everybody's enjoyment of the game of Poker........... .......trophy.
    Posted by MAXALL
    Y

Ha!

"AN Live Event"?

Should be "A live Event".

Sort it out, Max.

Curiously, if it were Online, it would be AN Online Event, not A Online Event. I think. Probably.

Liking the logic though, humour is alive & well in the potteries. Or should that be Potteries? 

• edited November 2013
    In Response to What's in a name?:
    I can't be the only one that thinks that the name of the "Sky Poker UK Poker Championship" is a little bit silly. It doesn't exactly trip off the tongue and wouldn't get very far on Just a minute . Easily mended with an insertion of a colon and a "The", in my opinion. Sky Poker: The United Kingdom Poker Championship Sky Poker: UKPC Sky Poker: The UK Poker Championship Anyone have a superior suggestion that wouldn't require a huge rebranding exercise, but makes the name a little less... dumb?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Do we really need to take time to discuss this?

Wouldnt your time be spent more wisely playing and grinding together a buy in fee than doing..well your not really doing a lot here are you?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to What's in a name? : Do we really need to take time to discuss this? Wouldnt your time be spent more wisely playing and grinding together a buy in fee than doing..well your not really doing a lot here are you?
    Posted by bolly580
    i think borin has shown he has a side to him which is not just poker orientated, for which he is to be commended
    while we can all guess your main focus bolly! (nothing wrong with that either)

and yes i have winced at the name of other poker festivals as well
    tend to do a lot of wincing

saw a french restaurant the other say with "si il" written instead of "s'il"
    what is the world coming to?

or should that be ??????????