You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Patwalshh in 2014 - [NEW POST - 01/02/2014]

edited February 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi Pat,

Mostly play DYMs myself, at £5 level. 
Find myself tilting a bit after a losing session, how do you deal with this?
I know I can beat the games so I really should just accept it and come back the next day, but seem to stupidly reg for a Russian roulette or something else.

YouMad.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Some of you will ask who I am, some of you will have been berated by me on monster tilt, and some of you will be fairly familiar with me. But my name's Patwalshh and I had a diary way back when.
    https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a530cc863-96c3-4292-bc22-ec7b387ed019&plckCurrentPage=0

I'm a DYM reg, play as many tables as my computer allows (normally 11). I'd like to think I'm not a typical sit and go regular, and have something unique about my approach to the game. I probably have the highest hourly out of the DYMs REGULARS.

I've had some highs in Poker (£2.5k score, crushed 100nl for a month) and I've had some lows (this year). Mainly the biggest battle has been with myself. Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to provide a question and answer for anyone out there that still plays SNGs (tumble weed).

I'll more than likely turn this thread into a mini-diary, but in the mean time - feel free to post anything that you desire.

*on Sky
  • edited November 2013
    Do you think Cat and Alfie will ever get back together for good on Eastenders ?

GL with this btw mate :)
  • edited November 2013
    Do you find DYMs easier to play Multi-Tabling?

I ask because I'm sure I get better results when taking instinctive decisions based on bet sizes and stack sizes rather than trying to think too much and play hands to try and outplay opponents.

On 6max I think the reverse is true, because you have to play your opponents more with deeper structure, 2 spots instead of 3 and the greater reward for 1st place.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*]:
    Hi Pat, Mostly play DYMs myself, at £5 level.  Find myself tilting a bit after a losing session, how do you deal with this? I know I can beat the games so I really should just accept it and come back the next day, but seem to stupidly reg for a Russian roulette or something else. YouMad.
    Posted by YouMad

DYMs are interesting because people often seen them as the 'safe route' but they can be just as brutal in terms of variance. I've gone on 40 buy-in downswings in the past. I don't really tilt in DYMs anymore. I often just try to look at the bigger picture and watch anti tilt videos, videos of puppies, comedy etc. Breathing is a huge underlying aspect of tilt. Stand up, close your eyes and take 10 deep breaths. Imagine yourself unwinding after every breath. Swing your arms around, anything to get the blood flowing. 

In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*]:
    Do you think Cat and Alfie will ever get back together for good on Eastenders ? GL with this btw mate :)
    Posted by Diminuendo
    Thanks man!

In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : Hi YouMad Post more Surprised to read you tilt. You have a great record in the dyms and have a great game. Your results are really impressive. 
    Posted by Jac35
    Everyone has their way to vent. I'm definately improving on it though. Appreciate the positive post and I look forward to playing with you at the tables. 

Do you find DYMs easier to play Multi-Tabling? I ask because I'm sure I get better results when taking instinctive decisions based on bet sizes and stack sizes rather than trying to think too much and play hands to try and outplay opponents. On 6max I think the reverse is true, because you have to play your opponents more with deeper structure, 2 spots instead of 3 and the greater reward for 1st place.
    Posted by Phantom66

I actually come from a 6-max top 2 pay background, so I've always had that natural level of aggression in my game. There is an art to multitabling in a manner that isn't too exploitable. You have to be aware of how your opponents perceive you and adjust your game accoringly. I spew far less with multi-tables. It's just weighing up cost to reward. 
  • edited November 2013
    bump

Month looks something like this (filted by DYMs and then all games) I'm starting to transition into some heads up SNGs, all variants currently offered on the site. Still not exactly sure what I'd say my best game is:

• edited November 2013
    Is your name realy Patricia?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*]:
    Is your name realy Patricia?
    Posted by sim_mo
    Patrick, Patricia, it's all the same.

Is your name really mo? As in the real Mo Farah?
  • edited November 2013
    I know you said to base your questions on Sky, but as most players incl. myself sometimes play on other sites i just wondered what your advice would be when trying to adapt to a 9 or 10 player DYM or STT table when you,ve been so used to playing 6 max?

I seem to find myself playing far to tight and it just seems other players are just waiting for premium hands so it can get pretty boring as well

Thx

Paul
  • edited November 2013
    We have played a couple DYMs together and obviously you are a really good opponent. 

What would be the top 3 advice would you give to anyone who want to play DYMs and make some profit?
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Pat

Just a quick question for you?
    What would you consider a decent ROI for a recreational low stakes DYM player?

Cheers
    Mick
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*]:
    I know you said to base your questions on Sky, but as most players incl. myself sometimes play on other sites i just wondered what your advice would be when trying to adapt to a 9 or 10 player DYM or STT table when you,ve been so used to playing 6 max? I seem to find myself playing far to tight and it just seems other players are just waiting for premium hands so it can get pretty boring as well Thx Paul
    Posted by MP33

I didn't mean to exclude other table formats/sites from the Q&A as I'm not oblivious to the Skypoker 'bubble'. I've had some success on other sites, mainly through 9-max MTTs. 

I think the difficulty with 9-max is that you will a) run into bigger hands & b) the action is slower, so boredom and inpatience can creep in. I'd be tight from early position, especially during the lower blind levels. I like to isolate and take advantage of position as much as possible and in line with this I often 3 bet light in the latter stages from the CO or Button (vs the right opponents) - so try to explore that concept a little. In saying that, strategies will inevitably work differently for different players.  

If you specify your question a little more, I'd be more than happy to go into more depth. 

did u present the show    fun house ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Before my time unfortunately. 

We have played a couple DYMs together and obviously you are a really good opponent.  What would be the top 3 advice would you give to anyone who want to play DYMs and make some profit?
    Posted by DimTzar

First of all thank you.

And in no particular order: (1 & 2 kinda tie in together)

1) Learn the value and importance of ICM (independent chip model) and how it specifically applies to latter blind levels.

2) In line with the above, but be very adaptable in your approach to the game. To consistantly beat the games you have to have a solid understanding of the notion of being able (not always) folding huge hands in the early levels and alternatively getting it in as a clear underdog in the latter stages due to stack sizes.

Basically everything revolves around stack sizes, so be completely aware of that in your bet sizes, shoves and value of your own hand (I'd happily open fold AA in some ICM instances)

3) The mental aspect of Poker is a monumentally undervalued factor. Simply being aware of how much variance is involved in the game (bankroll fluctuations), is of great help. You really have to understand that there will be occasions where you play 10 games perfectly and lose every single one (this becomes more prominant at the higher levels due to players generally becoming tighter)

I hope this helps, and if you want me to expand on any of the points above, then just let me know. 

Hi Pat Just a quick question for you? What would you consider a decent ROI for a recreational low stakes DYM player? Cheers Mick
    Posted by VespaPX

It depends how low of stake you're actually talking about. At the £5 stakes I would actually consider break even (0% roi) to be a decent ROI for a recreational DYM player. At the end of the day, Poker is a form of entertainment - look at 99.9% of other leisure industries out there. How many would you expect to pay you for providing a service? 

I base my answer on rake alone (10% and sometimes higher at the lower levels) being difficult to beat over the long term. If you're serious about the game and take the time to critically analyse your play, watch videos, read poker forums, or you're talking about £1/£2 DYMs - then I'd consider a skillful ROI to be (2-4%) and an excellent ROI to be (5-7%).

And of course this is over a very good sample size; 1000 games is somewhat meaningful, 2,500 games begins to give you a more accurate understanding of your ROI and 5,000 games gives you a very clear understanding of your ROI. (I understand most recreational players play nowhere near as many games as this). 

• edited November 2013
    It depends how low of stake you're actually talking about. At the £5 stakes I would actually consider break even (0% roi) to be a decent ROI for a recreational DYM player. At the end of the day, Poker is a form of entertainment - look at 99.9% of other leisure industries out there. How many would you expect to pay you for providing a service? 

I base my answer on rake alone (10% and sometimes higher at the lower levels) being difficult to beat over the long term. If you're serious about the game and take the time to critically analyse your play, watch videos, read poker forums, or you're talking about £1/£2 DYMs - then I'd consider a skillful ROI to be (2-4%) and an excellent ROI to be (5-7%).

And of course this is over a very good sample size; 1000 games is somewhat meaningful, 2,500 games begins to give you a more accurate understanding of your ROI and 5,000 games gives you a very clear understanding of your ROI. (I understand most recreational players play nowhere near as many games as this).

Thanks for the detailed response Pat.
    I play mostly at the £1 & £2 levels, mainly Holdem (but recently been dabbling in PLO8).
    I've played 2,106 games and have a ROI of 2.5%
    I'll try to carry on learning and see if i can get to the 5% mark :-)
    Cheers
    Mick

PS Should i move up a level?
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks for the detailed response Pat. I play mostly at the £1 & £2 levels, mainly Holdem (but recently been dabbling in PLO8). I've played 2,106 games and have a ROI of 2.5% I'll try to carry on learning and see if i can get to the 5% mark :-) Cheers Mick PS Should i move up a level?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks for the detailed response Pat. I play mostly at the £1 & £2 levels, mainly Holdem (but recently been dabbling in PLO8). I've played 2,106 games and have a ROI of 2.5% I'll try to carry on learning and see if i can get to the 5% mark :-) Cheers Mick PS Should i move up a level?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Firstly, congratulations on beating the games. I think a lot of moving up and down levels comes with confidence. If you feel out of control at a certain level, begin to second guess yourself or think of losing a game winning flip as: 'oh I could have won £10 then!@!@!@!@!@' - then don't move up.

Saying that, I think there's great value in challenging yourself at the higher games and if it doesn't work out over 50 games or so, be very critical and open to adaptations in your game. Take a step down, build your bankroll back up and try again. 

Ultimately only you can decide whether to move up. Although I would say to avoid any rake above 10% like the plague. 

Best of luck
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : In Response to  Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : Firstly, congratulations on beating the games. I think a lot of moving up and down levels comes with confidence. If you feel out of control at a certain level, begin to second guess yourself or think of losing a game winning flip as: 'oh I could have won £10 then!@!@!@!@!@' - then don't move up. Saying that, I think there's great value in challenging yourself at the higher games and if it doesn't work out over 50 games or so, be very critical and open to adaptations in your game. Take a step down, build your bankroll back up and try again.  Ultimately only you can decide whether to move up. Although I would say to avoid any rake above 10% like the plague.  Best of luck
    Posted by patwalshh
    Thanks Pat
    May stay where i am until after Xmas then try moving up in the New Year.
    GL
    Mick
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Patwalsh. IVE always loved DYM'S and for last couple of months ive been playing loads games between £22-£110.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Patwalsh. IVE always loved DYM'S and for last couple of months ive been playing loads games between £22-£110.
    Posted by TimmyRaRa
    Variance of £33 games+ sounds fun :/ 

Best of luck with them
  • edited November 2013
    Some really good advice in this thread. I hope it will be some help for DYM players. 

I started playing them as a complete newbie because as you said I thought it was a bit variance free. I played 6-8 tables, I ran horribly and I decided to switch to cash for the time being and I have to say things go better in cash.

How easy is it to get to priority if you only play £5.50 DYMs?
  • edited November 2013
    Some really good advice in this thread. I hope it will be some help for DYM players.  I started playing them as a complete newbie because as you said I thought it was a bit variance free. I played 6-8 tables, I ran horribly and I decided to switch to cash for the time being and I have to say things go better in cash. How easy is it to get to priority if you only play £5.50 DYMs?
    Posted by DimTzar
    I'd say that cash is more profitable over the long term, but for me I just prefer DYMs for the time being. It pains me to say this but Priority isn't what it used to be (20% rb as opposed to the previous 28%) and no difference in % between 5k points and 10k. But in answer to your question, if you put a lot of hours in, and due to the £5s run very frequently - I'd say it's doable, but bare in mind that it'd be 4.5-5 hours a day with multi-tabling.
  • edited November 2013
    Just been reading some of the figures up there on percentages of winning over many games and its something i,ve seen a lot ( Very small percenatges ). It seems its the hardest form of the game to make a profit over time when your sticking to one format. Then again the variance should be a bit better but for someone who,s never played poker before and was just starting to learn would you advise them to think about DYM,s or look at another format to spend their time and developing their game at?

Thx

P
  • edited November 2013
    In your opening post you say that you "CRUSHED 100NL" for a month and yet your not playing it now and sticking to dyms.

Obvi its a format that you are good at and 7.5k profit is not to be sniffed at but over that same period of time playing 100NL a good player would smash that figure out of sight so i was just wanting to know why your sticking with the dym format of poker and not moving to cash where your profits could go through the roof ?

Are you sticking with DYMs because the variance is so much less brutal or is it down to bank roll etc, im just intrigued to know because imo the best and most profitable form of the game is cash poker so if your good at it i think you should stick at it mate.

Good luck

Kev
  • edited November 2013
    Just been reading some of the figures up there on percentages of winning over many games and its something i,ve seen a lot ( Very small percenatges ). It seems its the hardest form of the game to make a profit over time when your sticking to one format. Then again the variance should be a bit better but for someone who,s never played poker before and was just starting to learn would you advise them to think about DYM,s or look at another format to spend their time and developing their game at? Thx P
    Posted by MP33

There is a huge misconception amongst players regarind expected winrate. I think we need to bare in mind that 95%+ of poker players lose money over time. I personally think Sit and Gos are the perfect way to begin poker as they encorporate so many valuable aspects. 

In answer to your question, a number of factors need to be taken into consideration and there will be pros and cons to both formats. Ultimately, if you're a winning player and like cash - then play cash because it's the most all round +ev format. Saying that, it isn't for everyone and the swings will be greater, some players will be more prone to tilt which can make it -ev. It's all about finding what's right for you. Low stakes cash is probably more profitable than DYMs over time on Sky. 

In your opening post you say that you "CRUSHED 100NL" for a month and yet your not playing it now and sticking to dyms. Obvi its a format that you are good at and 7.5k profit is not to be sniffed at but over that same period of time playing 100NL a good player would smash that figure out of sight so i was just wanting to know why your sticking with the dym format of poker and not moving to cash where your profits could go through the roof ? Are you sticking with DYMs because the variance is so much less brutal or is it down to bank roll etc, im just intrigued to know because imo the best and most profitable form of the game is cash poker so if your good at it i think you should stick at it mate. Good luck Kev
    Posted by Diminuendo
    Great question, and I'm surprised this wasn't addressed sooner. In order to answer, I'd need to go into a fair amount of personal depth. I'd often withdrawn monthly winnings to pay for nights out, chasing girls etc. Other than that, my biggest scores/saved up profit have all gone on two extravagant purchases (Rolex and Car). The watch was something I needed to get out of my system, I saw it as an item I needed for it's extrinsic nature (or a signifier that hard work can and will be rewarded). 

In hindsight, saying that I crushed 100nl is a bit of an overstatement. In December last year I beat it for 30 buyins over a three week period, 6 tabling for around 3 hours a day. I felt very comfortable against other regs, and my game was improving leaps and bounds. In a way, I was pressurised into using the capital to upgrade my car (but ultimately this was my decision). After purchasing the car and paying for insurance, I was left with £500. This year, I've had serious tilt, personal issues that impacted my game beyond ways I can't express. 

Long story short, I've just finished a stake with a friend, and I'm finally back on my own money. The plan is to play DYMs up until a £1,000 roll, and then take a shot at 50nl and attempt to build from there.

I believe cash is the most profitable format, however I feel my personal winrate is higher at DYMs than 20/30nl. Hope this shines some light.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : I'd say that cash is more profitable over the long term, but for me I just prefer DYMs for the time being. It pains me to say this but Priority isn't what it used to be (20% rb as opposed to the previous 28%) and no difference in % between 5k points and 10k. But in answer to your question, if you put a lot of hours in, and due to the £5s run very frequently - I'd say it's doable, but bare in mind that it'd be 4.5-5 hours a day with multi-tabling.
    Posted by patwalshh
    Well I don't know the previous Priority thing worked as I am new here.

I have been trying playing cash recently and I have realised that if I only play the 3 happy hours during the day 6-tabling NL20 I can make roughly 100points/happy hour. Thats almost 300points/day which in 30 days makes a total of 9000points/month. If I play a bit better I can easily make priority every month by only playing 3 hours a day.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to  Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : There is a huge misconception amongst players regarind expected winrate. I think we need to bare in mind that 95%+ of poker players lose money over time. I personally think Sit and Gos are the perfect way to begin poker as they encorporate so many valuable aspects.  In answer to your question, a number of factors need to be taken into consideration and there will be pros and cons to both formats. Ultimately, if you're a winning player and like cash - then play cash because it's the most all round +ev format. Saying that, it isn't for everyone and the swings will be greater, some players will be more prone to tilt which can make it -ev. It's all about finding what's right for you. Low stakes cash is probably more profitable than DYMs over time on Sky.  In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : Great question, and I'm surprised this wasn't addressed sooner. In order to answer, I'd need to go into a fair amount of personal depth. I'd often withdrawn monthly winnings to pay for nights out, chasing girls etc. Other than that, my biggest scores/saved up profit have all gone on two extravagant purchases (Rolex and Car). The watch was something I needed to get out of my system, I saw it as an item I needed for it's extrinsic nature (or a signifier that hard work can and will be rewarded).  In hindsight, saying that I crushed 100nl is a bit of an overstatement. In December last year I beat it for 30 buyins over a three week period, 6 tabling for around 3 hours a day. I felt very comfortable against other regs, and my game was improving leaps and bounds. In a way, I was pressurised into using the capital to upgrade my car (but ultimately this was my decision). After purchasing the car and paying for insurance, I was left with £500. This year, I've had serious tilt, personal issues that impacted my game beyond ways I can't express.  Long story short, I've just finished a stake with a friend, and I'm finally back on my own money. The plan is to play DYMs up until a £1,000 roll, and then take a shot at 50nl and attempt to build from there. I believe cash is the most profitable format, however I feel my personal winrate is higher at DYMs than 20/30nl. Hope this shines some light.
    Posted by patwalshh

Answers my question perfectly

£3k in a month at 100nl is good going mate and that only emphasizes what i said about cash being the ultimate goal for you instead of putting in the long hours you are on DYMs for a fraction of the profits.

Also WD on your deep run in last nights main event and Good Luck for the future
  • edited November 2013

Hi Pat

We have played 100's maybe a 1000 games against each other.

What do you of my game?

You don't have to be nice not got a problem with what you put on here.

• edited November 2013
    Patrick you mentioned you are going to play DYMs until you reach £1000 and then you will move to having a shot at NL50.

Isn't a bit risky to play NL50 with only £1k? What are your thoughts on that? Do you think you have a big edge against the NL50 players?

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : Answers my question perfectly £3k in a month at 100nl is good going mate and that only emphasizes what i said about cash being the ultimate goal for you instead of putting in the long hours you are on DYMs for a fraction of the profits. Also WD on your deep run in last nights main event and Good Luck for the future
    Posted by Diminuendo
    I'm glad it clears things up a little and thank you. Best of luck.

Hi Pat We have played 100's maybe a 1000 games against each other. What do you of my game? You don't have to be nice not got a problem with what you put on here.
    Posted by frascati

I genuinely can't remember your game enough to say. I perceieve your game to be fairly good though (which for me is saying a lot).

Patrick you mentioned you are going to play DYMs until you reach £1000 and then you will move to having a shot at NL50. Isn't a bit risky to play NL50 with only £1k? What are your thoughts on that? Do you think you have a big edge against the NL50 players?
    Posted by DimTzar

Very much so. It would definitely be a shot at 50nl. I'd structure it as, move down/back to dyms if I lost 6-8 buys and rebuild. The game's evolving very quickly, and there will inevitably be more difficult games vs this time last year. Saying that, I feel comfortable against regs, and I'd perceieve my edge to be bigger at 50nl than multi-tabling dyms.
  • edited November 2013

Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker -

Poker is the ultimate test of character. It starts off as a simple excitement or passion for something new. But what that excitement and passion materialises into is up to you. We all experience highs and lows within the game. We win a couple of tournaments or big cash pots, and we're suddenly the best player on the planet. We get sucked out in a handful of momentous pots, and lo and behold we're suddenly the most unlucky player in the world.

We realise there's more to the game than we first thought, so we decide to work on improving our ability. We read some articles, post some hands, watch some tutorials. All in hope of developing a greater understanding. Sometimes it's enough to propel us forward and up a stake. Suddenly, we're beating a stake that previously seemed so out of reach. There's bumps along the way, but we hold with us a greater awareness or focus. We realise that AA will be cracked, huge chip leads will crumble and that we're at mercy to the crippling  omnipotence of variance.

Nonetheless, we persist and push forward. We weather the hard times and relish the good. Ideas form and we improve. Suddenly we don't have to fast play every hand. Hero folds emerge as a viable asset within our arsenal. We're constantly improving, moving forward and outplaying our opponents. Non-showdown winnings skyrocket, and suddenly we're near impossible to get value out of.

Somewhere along the line, you face the biggest downswing of your life. Nothing will work and more importantly, nothing will help you win. You see the value in the games you're playing, players pitfalls are rampant around you, but yet something's different. All of a sudden, players always have the one hand you didn't want them to. All of a sudden, the best hand gets cracked time after time, session after session. This continues for hour after hour, day after day, week after week. Your confidence begins to crumble. Your lack of respect for a once highly respected game diminishes. You become the one person at the table you never wanted to be - the one that reeks of injustice and distain toward your fellow opponents.

I believe that downswings are wake ups, the ultimate test of character and ability. Downswings are things we all need to remind ourselves that we're not the best player we can be. Improvements can and always should be made. How many of us experience a huge upswing, but fail to look at the leaks we currently behold? That little extra value we should have gained. When downswings come back to haunt us, such factors can be the difference between a winning and losing session.

For the vast majority, it is only when we experience a big downswing, that we begin to question our game. Approaches that seemed optimal before, suddenly lose credibility. We question ourselves and our game. Yes this questioning and second guessing can be extremely negative, but it's a necessary factor in our drive for continual improvement and development. If we always won, we wouldn't necessarily be critical of our game.

There's a big difference between a good and a great poker player. A good poker player will be comfortable grinding the same stake, grinding the ever diminishing edge that they hold over the other players. A great player will thrive under pressure. Will always look to make the most +EV decisions regardless of the risk or the stakes at play. Always improve and always persist.

Patwalshh

• edited November 2013
    Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker -   Poker is the ultimate test of character. It starts off as a simple excitement or passion for something new. But what that excitement and passion materialises into is up to you. We all experience highs and lows within the game. We win a couple of tournaments or big cash pots, and we're suddenly the best player on the planet. We get sucked out in a handful of momentous pots, and lo and behold we're suddenly the most unlucky player in the world. We realise there's more to the game than we first thought, so we decide to work on improving our ability. We read some articles, post some hands, watch some tutorials. All in hope of developing a greater understanding. Sometimes it's enough to propel us forward and up a stake. Suddenly, we're beating a stake that previously seemed so out of reach. There's bumps along the way, but we hold with us a greater awareness or focus. We realise that AA will be cracked, huge chip leads will crumble and that we're at mercy to the crippling  omnipotence of variance. Nonetheless, we persist and push forward. We weather the hard times and relish the good. Ideas form and we improve. Suddenly we don't have to fast play every hand. Hero folds emerge as a viable asset within our arsenal. We're constantly improving, moving forward and outplaying our opponents. Non-showdown winnings skyrocket, and suddenly we're near impossible to get value out of. Somewhere along the line, you face the biggest downswing of your life. Nothing will work and more importantly, nothing will help you win. You see the value in the games you're playing, players pitfalls are rampant around you, but yet something's different. All of a sudden, players always have the one hand you didn't want them to. All of a sudden, the best hand gets cracked time after time, session after session. This continues for hour after hour, day after day, week after week. Your confidence begins to crumble. Your lack of respect for a once highly respected game diminishes. You become the one person at the table you never wanted to be - the one that reeks of injustice and distain toward your fellow opponents. I believe that downswings are wake ups, the ultimate test of character and ability. Downswings are things we all need to remind ourselves that we're not the best player we can be. Improvements can and always should be made. How many of us experience a huge upswing, but fail to look at the leaks we currently behold? That little extra value we should have gained. When downswings come back to haunt us, such factors can be the difference between a winning and losing session. For the vast majority, it is only when we  experience a big downswing, that we begin to question our game. Approaches that seemed optimal before, suddenly lose credibility. We question ourselves and our game. Yes this questioning and second guessing can be extremely negative, but it's a necessary factor in our drive for continual improvement and development. If we always won, we wouldn't necessarily be critical of our game. There's a big difference between a good and a great poker player. A good poker player will be comfortable grinding the same stake, grinding the ever diminishing edge that they hold over the other players. A great player will thrive under pressure. Will always look to make the most +EV decisions regardless of the risk or the stakes at play. Always improve and always persist. Patwalshh
    Posted by patwalshh

Very nice post Pat.  Wise words.
  • edited November 2013
    Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker -   Poker is the ultimate test of character. It starts off as a simple excitement or passion for something new. But what that excitement and passion materialises into is up to you. We all experience highs and lows within the game. We win a couple of tournaments or big cash pots, and we're suddenly the best player on the planet. We get sucked out in a handful of momentous pots, and lo and behold we're suddenly the most unlucky player in the world. We realise there's more to the game than we first thought, so we decide to work on improving our ability. We read some articles, post some hands, watch some tutorials. All in hope of developing a greater understanding. Sometimes it's enough to propel us forward and up a stake. Suddenly, we're beating a stake that previously seemed so out of reach. There's bumps along the way, but we hold with us a greater awareness or focus. We realise that AA will be cracked, huge chip leads will crumble and that we're at mercy to the crippling  omnipotence of variance. Nonetheless, we persist and push forward. We weather the hard times and relish the good. Ideas form and we improve. Suddenly we don't have to fast play every hand. Hero folds emerge as a viable asset within our arsenal. We're constantly improving, moving forward and outplaying our opponents. Non-showdown winnings skyrocket, and suddenly we're near impossible to get value out of. Somewhere along the line, you face the biggest downswing of your life. Nothing will work and more importantly, nothing will help you win. You see the value in the games you're playing, players pitfalls are rampant around you, but yet something's different. All of a sudden, players always have the one hand you didn't want them to. All of a sudden, the best hand gets cracked time after time, session after session. This continues for hour after hour, day after day, week after week. Your confidence begins to crumble. Your lack of respect for a once highly respected game diminishes. You become the one person at the table you never wanted to be - the one that reeks of injustice and distain toward your fellow opponents. I believe that downswings are wake ups, the ultimate test of character and ability. Downswings are things we all need to remind ourselves that we're not the best player we can be. Improvements can and always should be made. How many of us experience a huge upswing, but fail to look at the leaks we currently behold? That little extra value we should have gained. When downswings come back to haunt us, such factors can be the difference between a winning and losing session. For the vast majority, it is only when we  experience a big downswing, that we begin to question our game. Approaches that seemed optimal before, suddenly lose credibility. We question ourselves and our game. Yes this questioning and second guessing can be extremely negative, but it's a necessary factor in our drive for continual improvement and development. If we always won, we wouldn't necessarily be critical of our game. There's a big difference between a good and a great poker player. A good poker player will be comfortable grinding the same stake, grinding the ever diminishing edge that they hold over the other players. A great player will thrive under pressure. Will always look to make the most +EV decisions regardless of the risk or the stakes at play. Always improve and always persist. Patwalshh
    Posted by patwalshh

Excellent post. All your own wording or copied?

Oh...please explain downswings to TommyD & Matt Bates....they both think this is what happened  when they were  on the see saw in their parks when they were smaller (no offence Matt) :)  

• edited November 2013
    Appreicate the responses. All my own words apart from taking the 'success' model approach which is defined as; passion, work, focus, push, ideas, improve, service and persistance. 

edit: lol about the TommyD and Mattbates. I'm reminded of their rungood on a nearly weekly basis :P