You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Patwalshh in 2014 - [NEW POST - 01/02/2014]

2»

Comments

• edited November 2013
    You write a very good post. Keep up the good work.
  • edited November 2013
    Great thread, loving the discussion!

Curious to know what everybody's biggest downswing is, I'm on my biggest one ever at the moment, but I'm not that experienced so I know others will have had a worse time of it. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the worst case scenario is -.-
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available]:
    You write a very good post. Keep up the good work.
    Posted by sim_mo
    Firstly, thank you.

Secondly, I just realised how much you're up this year at SNGs on Sky! Nicely done.

In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available]:
    Great thread, loving the discussion! Curious to know what everybody's biggest downswing is, I'm on my biggest one ever at the moment, but I'm not that experienced so I know others will have had a worse time of it. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the worst case scenario is -.-
    Posted by peter27

It really depends on the game type and what your edge actually is (could in reality be + or - EV). Constant improvement and persistance is all I can advise! Best of luck.

• edited November 2013
    Thanks, unfortunately not much (if any) profit has come from you.!!!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available]:
    Great thread, loving the discussion! Curious to know what everybody's biggest downswing is, I'm on my biggest one ever at the moment, but I'm not that experienced so I know others will have had a worse time of it. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the worst case scenario is -.-
    Posted by peter27
    I've been on 80ish buy in downswings a few times. Anything is possible, but for a good winning MTT player on SKY, i would expect 100 buy in downswings not to be too uncommon. for breakeven players, it could be worse, and for losing players...well, I guess you measure the length/depth of the upswings instead.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available] : I've been on 80ish buy in downswings a few times. Anything is possible, but for a good winning MTT player on SKY, i would expect 100 buy in downswings not to be too uncommon. for breakeven players, it could be worse, and for losing players...well, I guess you measure the length/depth of the upswings instead.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    That makes me worried ... I'm trying my best to get out of the rut though :-)
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks, unfortunately not much (if any) profit has come from you.!!!
    Posted by sim_mo
    Haha, nontheless I'd still rather have a table full of fish than you!

-----------

I really don't want to turn this into a blog about variance. Will give end of month update on Thursday as I'll be away for the weekend. Amsterdam. That is all. 
  • edited November 2013
    NO NEED, To suffer a down swing...Just withdraw your bankroll and go to another site my dad says. He enjoys telling the world poker paid off his mortgage so he may know something.
  • edited November 2013
    Constant improvement and persistance is all I can advise! Best of luck.
    Posted by patwalshh
    An sticking to the very lowest stakes untill you're crushing then build a bankroll and consider moving up.
  • edited November 2013
    NO NEED, To suffer a down swing...Just withdraw your bankroll and go to another site my dad says. He enjoys telling the world poker paid off his mortgage so he may know something.
    Posted by Dani_chik
    Interesting theory, but surely you'd still go through phases of bad luck - variance isn't due to the website! Then again it seems to have worked for your dad, so what do I know :p

Hmmm, many of you guys play on other sites apart from Sky Poker, have you experienced a downswing on one and an upswing on the other or is it usually downswings and upswings at the same time on both sites? Curious about the frequency of this?
  • edited November 2013
    Luck is completely random...the only reason changing sites would make a difference I purely a mind thing
  • edited November 2013

Welcome to the PLO8 DYM's Pat!

Good to see you on them yesterday.

Now stay away. Please?

Incidentally (not a rub) but far & way the most accomplished 2 players in that £11er yesteday were you, & Jason - who finished 5th & 6th! Such is poker, eh?

The winner of that one - & a very accomplished PLO8 DYM player too - was "Amarie", aka MOTHER, who is JamieLou Barrett's grandmother. Who says very old peeps can't play, eh?

Was good to have some banter in the Rail, too. I find that pretty tough to do when 4-Tabling, I honestly don't know how you guys do it, seemingly without effort.   
  • edited November 2013
    Posted by peter27
    Umm.. well I'm currently in the middle of a roughly -120 BI downswing so...

There's no fixed length or max amount for a downswing though, I could go win 100 BIs next month or drop another 100 BIs (if I had it lol)... both are unlikely but the odds of either happening are completely unrelated to the fact I've already lost 120 BIs in the last 8+ weeks.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available] : Umm.. well I'm currently in the middle of a roughly -120 BI downswing so... There's no fixed length or max amount for a downswing though, I could go win 100 BIs next month or drop another 100 BIs (if I had it lol)... both are unlikely but the odds of either happening are completely unrelated to the fact I've already lost 120 BIs in the last 8+ weeks.
    Posted by Lambert180

you need some positive thinking - probably better to say "at the end of a"

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available] : Interesting theory, but surely you'd still go through phases of bad luck - variance isn't due to the website! Then again it seems to have worked for your dad, so what do I know :p Hmmm, many of you guys play on other sites apart from Sky Poker, have you experienced a downswing on one and an upswing on the other or is it usually downswings and upswings at the same time on both sites? Curious about the frequency of this?
    Posted by peter27

Hi Peter, i am not like most players as i can take or leave poker. So when a down swing starts, i just dont play.
    I just play the odd game until it starts to turn, i dont worry about how many points i have, if you're on a bad run
    what's the point in chasing points if you loose £5 to get 5 points it don't stack up. Win big loose small thats my way.

• edited November 2013
    Luck is completely random...the only reason changing sites would make a difference I purely a mind thing
    Posted by chicknMelt
    +1

Changing sites is pretty pointless unless it's moving to more +EV games.

In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available]:
    Welcome to the PLO8 DYM's Pat! Good to see you on them yesterday. Now stay away. Please? Incidentally (not a rub) but far & way the most accomplished 2 players in that £11er yesteday were you, & Jason - who finished 5th & 6th! Such is poker, eh? The winner of that one - & a very accomplished PLO8 DYM player too - was "Amarie", aka MOTHER, who is JamieLou Barrett's grandmother. Who says very old peeps can't play, eh?   Was good to have some banter in the Rail, too. I find that pretty tough to do when 4-Tabling, I honestly don't know how you guys do it, seemingly without effort.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Ultimate rub down :(

When the 0/8 DYM loaded, I thought omg value. And then I see the lineup... Great game, I may dabble in more in the future. Best of luck in the future Tikay. 

In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available] : you need some positive thinking - probably better to say " at the end of a "
    Posted by GELDY

Yes!

In Response to Re: New Post - Why we all need to experience downswings within Poker [Q&A available] : So when a down swing starts, i just dont play. I just play the odd game until it starts to turn, i dont worry about how many points i have, if you're on a bad run what's the point in chasing points if you loose £5 to get 5 points it don't stack up. Win big loose small thats my way.
    Posted by tomo_efc

This can be superb advice if things aren't going your way for a reasonable length of time. Clear your head for a few days and come back fresh and with an open mind. 

• edited December 2013

Last month looked something like this:

PROGRESS AT LAST.

8.3% ROI at HU games 
    11.8% ROI at 6 max SNGs
    Top 10 finish in the £11 rebuy main

==

Delayed end of month update due to a weekend trip to Amsterdam in celebration of my best friend's 21st birthday. Just the typical debauchery that anyone would expect from such a trip. Beautiful city, amazing people, but some underlying sinisterness about it. If anyone has any questions about Amsterdam, I'll gladly answer them. 

Split up with the GF again. Basically any month I'm with her, I lose at Poker. Any month I'm not with her, I win at Poker - regardless of volume/general sense of happiness. Probably just goes to show that I'm not ready for both? Or it's variances way of messing with me. Either way, I can't decide what makes me happier. Success in Poker, or happiness with someone. Right now I feel as though I need to be a continual winning Poker player to be happy, but that makes the success more empty. 

Either way, I'm feeling really confident in my game and the improvements I'm making. HU sngs are definately making me play far more +EV in general. I feel as though playing them (mostly £10 stake), has elevated my game significantly. Long may it continue. 

Patwalshh

• edited December 2013
    End of month update up.
  • edited December 2013
    Splitting up with the girlfriend and going to Amsterdam? No prizes for guessing what went down there! (no pun intended)

It is a great city, but I agree with the undertones that seem to lurk. 

Since splitting with my other half, I've managed to piece together my best ever results. Clearly having a GF is -EV ;)

Enjoyable read, run well sir!
  • edited December 2013
    hmmm, now I think about it, I do better when my wife is away too...

she was away for the weekend when I final tabled 2 UKOPS mains in Aug, and i'm sure she was away for alot of the other binks..

strange.

well...not that strange... I recently had to tell her to stop suggesting baby names every 6 seconds (we are currently expecting obv)... "if I'm playing 12 tables of poker, I cant stop thinking about it for a couple of seconds every few seconds babe, how's about you save them up and we discuss them in the break"

didnt go down too well...but at least I could think properly! she is learning though :)

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: New Post - End of month and touching on a trip to Amsterdam [Q&A available]:
    Splitting up with the girlfriend and going to Amsterdam? No prizes for guessing what went down there! (no pun intended) It is a great city, but I agree with the undertones that seem to lurk.  Since splitting with my other half, I've managed to piece together my best ever results. Clearly having a GF is -EV ;) Enjoyable read, run well sir!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I'm sorry about you breaking up with the GF. Women, you can't live with them, or without them. Relationships can be extremely challenging and a huge test of personal integrity and comittment. Ty, and run good yourself!

In Response to Re: New Post - End of month and touching on a trip to Amsterdam [Q&A available]:
    hmmm, now I think about it, I do better when my wife is away too... she was away for the weekend when I final tabled 2 UKOPS mains in Aug, and i'm sure she was away for alot of the other binks.. strange. well...not that strange... I recently had to tell her to stop suggesting baby names every 6 seconds (we are currently expecting obv)... "if I'm playing 12 tables of poker, I cant stop thinking about it for a couple of seconds every few seconds babe, how's about you save them up and we discuss them in the break" didnt go down too well...but at least I could think properly! she is learning though :)
    Posted by chicknMelt

Interesting and fantastic results by the way. I experienced a correlation over countless months. Best of luck in the future, I'll make sure to drop in on your diary soon!

• edited February 2014

2014 - Stretching myself to breaking point

January 1st -

A fresh sense of hope overshadows any fragility resonating from my New Years antics. For the first time in months I feel as though I have a burning desire to achieve, to stretch myself. 2013 nearly broke me, but I feel reinvigorated by a believe that 2014 was going to be different. 2014 was the year I finally became happy with myself and my upcoming accomplishments.

I scroll across the hoards of generic facebook status' and deduct that 'New Year, new me' would be the message of the day. A figure quotes that by the 14th of the month, 95% of New Year resolutions would be broken. Who would survive the test of time?

Entitlement -

Every person in the world has suffered from delusional entitlement at some point or another. 'I'm due some luck', 'it's about time things turned around for me'. It seems that no matter what some certain people do, there will always be that one thing that gets in their way, that pushes them back. On the contrary, we analyse the more accomplished characters, 'they were in the right place at the right time', 'they got lucky'. In Poker we experience this more than perhaps anything else.

The question remains, how do you separate those who are truly entitled, from those who are not? The answer is simple - hard work and time. Those who are truly entitled have earned it. They've developed a colourful array of skills that enables them to overcome the seemingly greatest of obstacles. Yes they may win a key flip, but they will also be at mercy to the bad beat on the river for chip lead deep in a tournament. They will have days where they run KKs into AA ten times over. Do they complain? Perhaps. But simple mental reassurance that the tables will eventually turn is enough to propel the individual onwards.

But what does it take to push someone to breaking point? I won't share the intricacies, but by the end of 2013 I felt as though I had reached that breaking point. Was it because of the events I'd experienced? Partly. But if I look back with the clarity of an honest lens, every single problem I'd experienced was magnified due to the way I handled it.

I strolled into 2013 armed with an eager anticipation for the year ahead, excited for the possibilities of developing myself, economically, emotionally and educationally. But when the times got tough I let the excuses grip and take a hold of me. I no longer dug that little bit deeper and pushed through - I wanted to escape. So over 2013 that's exactly what I did. The year became a blur. As I looked at myself in the mirror late through the year, all that looked back at me was a tired and vacant look. I felt a shadow of the person that I used to be.

Then and there I decided that 2014 would be different. I needed to move away from the bad habits I'd acquired. I needed to quit escapism, something that over the past year I'd become skilled at. But once the initial exuberance wore off - it left me feeling more shallow and empty than ever. I needed to tackle my problems, not avoid them.

1st Febuary -

So in 2014 that's exactly what I've done and I've gone cold turkey on alcohol, chasing women, smoking, eating sugary or fatty foods. I've quit everything that a typical 20 year old should relish. But I don't want to be a typical 20 year old. I have an insatiable desire to better myself. Along the way things will start falling into place. But for now, I write this with 31 days of sobriety behind me, 8 pounds of fat lighter - but a voice in my head to stop, to give in.

For now, I'm strong enough to continue. To push forward. They say that true success is masked by the achievement, and really lies in the journey. Well for now, this journey sucks. But as I look in the mirror once more, and a rejuvenated face stares back, with a sparkle in the eye. I know I'm on the right path.

Patwalshh

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*]:
    In Response to Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : In Response to  Re: Finding momentum - patwalshh [Q&A with highest earning DYM player of 2012*] : Firstly, congratulations on beating the games. I think a lot of moving up and down levels comes with confidence. If you feel out of control at a certain level, begin to second guess yourself or think of losing a game winning flip as: 'oh I could have won £10 then!@!@!@!@!@' - then don't move up. Saying that, I think there's great value in challenging yourself at the higher games and if it doesn't work out over 50 games or so, be very critical and open to adaptations in your game. Take a step down, build your bankroll back up and try again.  Ultimately only you can decide whether to move up. Although I would say to avoid any rake above 10% like the plague.  Best of luck
    Posted by patwalshh
    Moved to PLO8 and now over 3% :-)