You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A small flash in a big pan.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Keep it up Flashy. Just try not to crack my QQ too much in the future. Best of luck 
  • edited December 2013
    Not the best night, but I've had worse! I tried to give the main event another go at the same time as DYMs. Total fail again, so maybe next time I'll just try loading another 2 DYMs, that's probably more +EV.

In short:
    Played 9x£11 won only 3
    Played 4x £16.50 - Won 3
    Played the main - Massive fail!

DYMs -£15
    MTT -£33

Overall

MTT - +£83.83
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£49

Total - +£87.41

Not started any Christmas shopping yet, but I got the kids to write their lists today. Some pretty strange things, like a toy garden..? Also a very specific "Camper van with toy rabbits, tables and chairs"... Could be fun finding that one!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan.:
    Not the best night, but I've had worse! I tried to give the main event another go at the same time as DYMs. Total fail again, so maybe next time I'll just try loading another 2 DYMs, that's probably more +EV. In short: Played 9x£11 won only 3 Played 4x £16.50 - Won 3 Played the main - Massive fail! DYMs -£15 MTT -£33 Overall MTT - +£83.83 Cash - -£45.42 DYM - +£49 Total - +£87.41 Not started any Christmas shopping yet, but I got the kids to write their lists today. Some pretty strange things, like a toy garden..? Also a very specific "Camper van with toy rabbits, tables and chairs"... Could be fun finding that one!
    Posted by FlashFlush
     Is that a poker table and chairs ?..reading your blog, and it made me think, havn't played DYMs for ages but with double points i thought why not. And i found for the first few games i was playing the same way as if a MTT, and struggled, then thought back to when i played them all the time, and when i played MTT i was well to tight. So adjusting you game is vital.
    Gl at the tables.
  • edited December 2013
    Played MTT's tonight. I wanted to play the Primo as I think I read it was going to be the last one for a while and the super roller would be every week? I may of read that wrong. Wish I had just stuck to DYMs, would of probably been less damaging!.

Played 8 tournies in all. Total buy ins of £105.

I picked up a couple of bounties in the £400 BH, before going out just before the cash. Everything else was a blank apart from the £350 BH, I managed to get 4th and get 4 bounties which totalled around £35, but nowhere near enough to cover my outlay. I needed to win it to make profit. :(.

MTT - -£62.24

Total

MTT - +£21.59
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£49

Overall - +£25.17

Well it's profit I suppose, but it's hardly going to pay for Christmas!
  • edited December 2013
    First time I've played since Sunday. Had our works Christmas do last night, so pretty tired today. Went straight to sleep for 2 hours when I got home from work so I could be fresh to play tonight and have a go at the double guarantee...

Played 6 comps, the usual ones, 1x freezeout, 1x Omaha, the main, mini and the £400 B Hand £1k BH...

Did very well in the £400 BH, half way through I had double 2nd place and 6 bounties. Most of that came from getting it all in 4 way! It was the classic where a short stack shoved early position, someone calls wanting the bounty, then i was sat further on with JJ, got it all in as well and then some1 else decided they would join the fun! I think the hands were something like AK, AQ and KQ. So as long as nothing over a J came down I was fine, I think it was 9 high in the end, so happy days! Made £14 there in one hand. I ended up coming 3rdin that for around £72. My total buy ins were £71.50 so that guaranteed profit. I also cashed the mini with a bounty as well, and that added an extra £12. So although I felt I did well overall, it was only the smaller games I did well in, so was only a small profit...

Both exit hands were pretty harsh, I had AA on both. In the BH, I got it in on a flop of 3,3,7 vs 67, only for the turn to then come another 7. In the mini I got them in pre vs 99, and the flop came 9,J,9, so that ended that pretty quickly!

Today - +£20.05

Total

MTT - +£41.64
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£49

Overall - +£45.22
  • edited December 2013
    Good night tonight! Nothing huge, but a few good results which added up.

I played the same 6 tournaments again:

7:30 - £200 freezeout - 31st out of 51 (Obviously not a cash)
    7:40 - £100 Omaha - 1st out of 19 for £50
    7:45 - £400 BH - 2nd out of 68 for £94.44
    8:00 - £20k BH - 105th out of 623 (73 paid) Did get one bounty for £11.25
    8:15 - £1k BH - 58th out of 130 - 1 bounty of £3.75
    8:30 - £2k mini BH - 59th out of 611 - No heads, but £6.42 in cash

Total Stake - £71.50
    Total return - £165.86
    Profit - £94.36

To date

MTT - +£136
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£49

Overall - +£139.58

• edited December 2013
    Didn't update last night so here goes...

I went out Saturday night, but I wanted to tick off one of the winter wonderland days, so quickly sat at 3x £11DYMS and 1x £22. I cashed in them all so that's always nice! So £45 profit there...

Tonight I played the same games as Friday. I won the Omaha again for the 2nd time running :-). I also came 4th in the £200 freezeout for £30. Just bust in the primo for a respectable 37th for £144. All in all very happy with my weekends work.

Tonight was probably the first time in a long time I've actually felt 100% focused on poker. I really struggle with my concentration, and I get bored very easily. Tonight I really felt into the game, and felt in control on every tournament, and the results show that. If only I could be like that every night!

Weekend

DYM - +£45
    MTT - +£143

Overall

MTT - +£279
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£94

Total - +£327.58
  • edited December 2013
    Well done on the last couple of days, starting to show some serious results now. Owning a swingy game like PLO in MTT's takes some doing!!

Keep it up, good luck!!
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks Mr Spanky :)
  • edited December 2013
    Great night at the tables tonight. I think overall it's probably the best night I've ever had for tournaments. Not profit wise as I flopped in the main, but for consistent good results.

I played 7 tournaments. The usual 6 I play and also the 7pm £500 BH (£22 buy in) as I started early...

I didn't cash in the main, but apart from that I made the final table on 5 of the other 6, 2 of those were wins!

I won the £100 Omaha again for the 3rd time in a row! I also won the new tournament to my list the £500 BH for £250. 

7:00 £500 BH - 1st / 47 - £261.38
    7:30 £200 freezeout - 4th / 57 - £31.35
    7:40 £100 Omaha - 1st / 25 - £62.50
    7:45 £400 BH - 6th / 66 - £32.94
    8:00 Main - 250th / 383 - 
    8:15 £1k BH - 16th / 150 - £10.40
    8:30 Mini - 5th / 524 - £86.82

Tonight - +£391.89

To Date

MTT - +£670.89
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£94

Overall - +£719.47
  • edited December 2013
    Exceptional results Flash, congrats!
  • edited December 2013
    Cheers DTM

I'm out tonight, so played some DYMs, to boost the C4P and get another day for the winter wonderland thing...

Played 4x £22 and 4x £11 - I won all 4 of the £11 but only won 1 of the £22 games, which means I made a loss :(

That's probably it for me for today, I'll be back Wednesday for some more MTTs :)

Today's loss - -£12

To Date

MTT - +£670.89
    Cash - -£45.42
    DYM - +£82

Overall - +£707.47

I said I would compare this with money spent on Christmas to see if I could pay for it through poker. Well I did my first bit of shopping online yesterday, bought a few things, it came to £100, still got a fair bit to go, and looks like it will come to around £300 in total. We'll see...

• edited December 2013
    I've got to go out in a bit, not sure when, so I thought I'd play a bit of cash so I can just stand if I need to rush off. Not only that, but cash is the only game I'm down on in this diary, so wanted to change that.

I played 2x 50nl capped tables, one table of 30nl regular holdem and a table of 20nl Omaha.

One of the capped tables didn't really go to plan, a lot of it was heads up, and I couldn't hit a thing, ended up £17 down on that, but the other I made 15, I had a nice spot where I 4 bet shoved with AK, to be snapped off by A2...
    The 20nl went well, I made £37 on that, I did get very lucky in one hand, I was facing a big 3bet out of position with AK suited, I felt due to the player I was against and my position it should of been a fold, but I couldn't make myself. I called and the flop came Q,J,10 (also gave me a gut shot royal flush draw) turned out my hunch was right, he had AA, and I managed to make about £20 in that hand.
    I made £16 on the Omaha table, possibly lost some value on one hand, where I went for a stack on the river and he folded. I felt he had a smaller full house or a flush and the way he was snap calling every street I could get the lot. Still a good session, not bad for about 40 minutes work :-)

Today - +£50.99

To date

MTT - +£670.89
    Cash - +£5.57
    DYM - +£82

Overall - +£758.46
  • edited December 2013
    Hey Flash Charlie...do you play DYMs a lot?

You haven't mentioned them here from what I can see, but I noticed you in a few of the £22 ones yesterday (although I think I only played in the same one as you once).

EDIT: Having now read this rest of this thread I see you do mention DYM, albeit just in passing. 
  • edited December 2013
    Hey Flash Charlie...do you play DYMs a lot? You haven't mentioned them here from what I can see, but I noticed you in a few of the £22 ones yesterday (although I think I only played in the same one as you once). EDIT: Having now read this rest of this thread I see you do mention DYM, albeit just in passing. 
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Hi Mr button moon. Yeah I do play some DYMs. I had a few days where I only played them to try and reduce the variance/runbad/lack of confidence I was having at the start. I was playing the £11 - £16.50 games because I feel the standard improves a fair but once you get to £22 games. After my good few days in MTTs I decided to play the £22 games as well as they were running more often than the £16 games, but as you see, I didn't have the best of fortunes, so maybe should of stuck to below £22.

I like to think I have a decent edge in those, my style is generally tight and I try to preserve chips rather than go out there trying to win them all straight away, so DYMs do suit my game and when you understand the dynamics of it properly, it can be quiteprofitable. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : Hi Mr button moon. Yeah I do play some DYMs. I had a few days where I only played them to try and reduce the variance/runbad/lack of confidence I was having at the start. I was playing the £11 - £16.50 games because I feel the standard improves a fair but once you get to £22 games. After my good few days in MTTs I decided to play the £22 games as well as they were running more often than the £16 games, but as you see, I didn't have the best of fortunes, so maybe should of stuck to below £22. I like to think I have a decent edge in those, my style is generally tight and I try to preserve chips rather than go out there trying to win them all straight away, so DYMs do suit my game and when you understand the dynamics of it properly, it can be quiteprofitable. 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    So they aint the softest level on the site then for DYMs? ;)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : Hi Mr button moon. Yeah I do play some DYMs. I had a few days where I only played them to try and reduce the variance/runbad/lack of confidence I was having at the start. I was playing the £11 - £16.50 games because I feel the standard improves a fair but once you get to £22 games. After my good few days in MTTs I decided to play the £22 games as well as they were running more often than the £16 games, but as you see, I didn't have the best of fortunes, so maybe should of stuck to below £22. I like to think I have a decent edge in those, my style is generally tight and I try to preserve chips rather than go out there trying to win them all straight away, so DYMs do suit my game and when you understand the dynamics of it properly, it can be quiteprofitable. 
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Mr Button Moon..noone has called me that yet. I like it! Bit more imaginative than Tikay's 'noony'. ;)

That said, the reason I'm called PokerNoon is because I meant to call myself PokerNoob and hit the wrong key (n and b being next to each other on the keyboard). Embarassing. Should have called myself TypingNoob instead.

Back to DYMs. Never played anything between £11 and £22 but played a lot of both of those (particularly £22) in the last few days. Seems that once you get above £5.50 against better players, the level doesn't get 'softer', just different.

For example, better players have tight calling ranges for all ins, so you can shove around the bubble with more confidence. I find the lower levels actually harder to play for this reason. You shove with A9 thinking you're likely to be good, and you get called by 44, then you're on a coin flip. So I think (for me at least) that variance seems to be greater at the lower levels.

As advised to me by wise players, every game I check out my competition on Sharkscope. Yesterday it was full of profitable players. They all play well, but in a fairly predictable, formulaic manner (at least in DYMs). So I feel like I can make certain plays with confidence knowing what my opponent is likely to do.

Today just about everyone on the £22 tables has been a losing player. You'd think this would be a good thing, but there seems to be a correlation between being a consistent losing player and having a compulsive addiction to clicking the call button.

I feel that the more the call button is clicked by your opposition, the more your variance goes up. Example - if I 3bet preflop when I have the best hand, the correct play by my opponent is to fold. That gives me more chips. Do that a few times and you have a reasonable stack when you hit the bubble. However that same play against losing players results in a call and a flop. Then you bet on the flop and they call again because they've managed to hit bottom pair...you end up getting to the river by which point they may have caught up. 

In a cash game, this kind of relentless calling is good, because if you lose one big hand you can just reload, and over time the right plays will pay off. In a DYM it's different because when they get lucky, it's game over for you.

This is just a theory of mine at the moment as I haven't played enough games to confirm this. Plus I feel a bit silly as a new player saying this to experienced guys like you and Lambert. So I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : Mr Button Moon..noone has called me that yet. I like it! Bit more imaginative than Tikay's 'noony'. ;) That said, the reason I'm called PokerNoon is because I meant to call myself PokerNoob and hit the wrong key (n and b being next to each other on the keyboard). Embarassing. Should have called myself TypingNoob instead. Back to DYMs. Never played anything between £11 and £22 but played a lot of both of those (particularly £22) in the last few days. Seems that once you get above £5.50 against better players, the level doesn't get 'softer', just different. For example, better players have tight calling ranges for all ins, so you can shove around the bubble with more confidence. I find the lower levels actually harder to play for this reason. You shove with A9 thinking you're likely to be good, and you get called by 44, then you're on a coin flip. So I think (for me at least) that variance seems to be greater at the lower levels. As advised to me by wise players, every game I check out my competition on Sharkscope. Yesterday it was full of profitable players. They all play well, but in a fairly predictable, formulaic manner (at least in DYMs). So I feel like I can make certain plays with confidence knowing what my opponent is likely to do. Today just about everyone on the £22 tables has been a losing player. You'd think this would be a good thing, but there seems to be a correlation between being a consistent losing player and having a compulsive addiction to clicking the call button. I feel that the more the call button is clicked by your opposition, the more your variance goes up. Example - if I 3bet preflop when I have the best hand, the correct play by my opponent is to fold. That gives me more chips. Do that a few times and you have a reasonable stack when you hit the bubble. However that same play against losing players results in a call and a flop. Then you bet on the flop and they call again because they've managed to hit bottom pair...you end up getting to the river by which point they may have caught up.  In a cash game, this kind of relentless calling is good, because if you lose one big hand you can just reload, and over time the right plays will pay off. In a DYM it's different because when they get lucky, it's game over for you. This is just a theory of mine at the moment as I haven't played enough games to confirm this. Plus I feel a bit silly as a new player saying this to experienced guys like you and Lambert. So I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    The part I've highlighted is just a single sentence, but it kind of defines everything you have wrote... You will be surprised how little you actually have to shove in a DYM. In MTTs, it's generally considered 10 big blinds is where you need to start shoving and picking up chips with weak hands. In DYMs you can comfortably go down to 4 or 5 BB's before you need to panic. By this time quite regularly, you have either picked up a monster and can go for the double up vs the weak call or at least keep your chips stack going up. But also, the looser players will of got it in against each other and either knock one out or really hurt their stack.

On another point, you should try to avoid getting your chips in as a 50/50 for obvious reasons, but also, try to avoid getting them in as a 60/40 as well. (I.e AK vs 7,8). Due to the rake, you are not technically doubling your money in these, so it's not just a case of winning more than 50% to make a profit constantly getting your chips in as only a 60% favourite is going to lead you to losing a lot of games and only make a small profit, where a bit more patience would see you through with no risk, you need to try and get in situations where your'e only going in with an over pair, or hands that are dominating, i.e AK vs AQ.

The key to DYMs as well to remember. If you shove, you need to be called to be in danger, if you are calling a shove you are in guaranteed danger because you know your going to see a flop... If you are on the bubble and there is a stack smaller than yours, you should be very rarely calling shoves from 1 of the other 2 players.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : The part I've highlighted is just a single sentence, but it kind of defines everything you have wrote... You will be surprised how little you actually have to shove in a DYM. In MTTs, it's generally considered 10 big blinds is where you need to start shoving and picking up chips with weak hands. In DYMs you can comfortably go down to 4 or 5 BB's before you need to panic. By this time quite regularly, you have either picked up a monster and can go for the double up vs the weak call or at least keep your chips stack going up. But also, the looser players will of got it in against each other and either knock one out or really hurt their stack. On another point, you should try to avoid getting your chips in as a 50/50 for obvious reasons, but also, try to avoid getting them in as a 60/40 as well. (I.e AK vs 7,8). Due to the rake, you are not technically doubling your money in these, so it's not just a case of winning more than 50% to make a profit constantly getting your chips in as only a 60% favourite is going to lead you to losing a lot of games and only make a small profit, where a bit more patience would see you through with no risk, you need to try and get in situations where your'e only going in with an over pair, or hands that are dominating, i.e AK vs AQ. The key to DYMs as well to remember. If you shove, you need to be called to be in danger, if you are calling a shove you are in guaranteed danger because you know your going to see a flop... If you are on the bubble and there is a stack smaller than yours, you should be very rarely calling shoves from 1 of the other 2 players.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thanks for this Flashy C. I do appreciate the level people are willing to go to here to give detailed advice that may hurt their own game (after all it's inevitable we'll play against each other at some point).

What you said above is pretty much exactly what I've been doing the last couple of days, so I'm pleased that it mirrors what an experienced player like yourself is telling me to do.

That said, there have been a couple of occasions when I've shoved earlier than necessary (as you implied), so I'll cut that out. I think my calling range is pretty good (ie rare). I even folded KK yesterday to an all in (it was pretty early in the DYM and I already had 2500 chips and I thought 'why take the risk here?')

Would you agree with that, or would you say I was a bit too tight there? I would happily call with KK later on when I know people are shoving more desperately. But early on I'm going to give credit and assume it's AA.

Btw what's the highest level of DYM you've played in? I just took a shot at a £33 one and somehow scraped through. Not sure how as my QQ got cracked by AJ and I was down to 500 chips where the blinds were I think 300...and somehow came back. Then I saw the £55 table lining up with people. One of them was a guy who I played on both the £33 and £22 tables, who was absolutely terrible (persistent limper)...

...I was very tempted to take a shot. But I felt I'd pushed my luck enough for one day ;)

Anyway please accept my apologies. I just realised I've taken your thread way off at a tangent and made it all about me. Very poor form on my part.
  • edited December 2013
    Very quick update, as I need to do the school run...

Played 6 tables of 20nl, made £13.99, so getting those cash figures up which is nice!

MTT - +£670.89
    Cash - +£19.56
    DYM - +£82

Overall - +£772.45
  • edited December 2013
    Well done Flash keep it up and you will soon have xmas paid for if you haven't already ;o)
  • edited December 2013
    Well done Flash keep it up and you will soon have xmas paid for if you haven't already ;o)
    Posted by a00rock
    Thanks!

Yeah Christmas is paid for. I've done all my shoppng now, and it's pretty much come to £300 as expected. So unless I don't cash for the rest of December I should be safe now ;-)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : Thanks for this Flashy C. I do appreciate the level people are willing to go to here to give detailed advice that may hurt their own game (after all it's inevitable we'll play against each other at some point). What you said above is pretty much exactly what I've been doing the last couple of days, so I'm pleased that it mirrors what an experienced player like yourself is telling me to do. That said, there have been a couple of occasions when I've shoved earlier than necessary (as you implied), so I'll cut that out. I think my calling range is pretty good (ie rare). I even folded KK yesterday to an all in (it was pretty early in the DYM and I already had 2500 chips and I thought 'why take the risk here?') Would you agree with that, or would you say I was a bit too tight there? I would happily call with KK later on when I know people are shoving more desperately. But early on I'm going to give credit and assume it's AA. Btw what's the highest level of DYM you've played in? I just took a shot at a £33 one and somehow scraped through. Not sure how as my QQ got cracked by AJ and I was down to 500 chips where the blinds were I think 300...and somehow came back. Then I saw the £55 table lining up with people. One of them was a guy who I played on both the £33 and £22 tables, who was absolutely terrible (persistent limper)... ...I was very tempted to take a shot. But I felt I'd pushed my luck enough for one day ;) Anyway please accept my apologies. I just realised I've taken your thread way off at a tangent and made it all about me. Very poor form on my part.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    I think I would still call.

Unless you have super strong reads on the player that they are never going to 4bet with worse than aces then I think folding is a mistake. You say it was early and you had 2500 chips. Look at the chip stacks when you get to the bubble, 2500 isn't a "sit back and relax" stack, so I would still be trying to chip up.

I have folded AA a couple of times in DYMs, not sure of the exact situation, but it was something like i had 3k chips, there was an all in from a 4k stack and someone left in who had less than 1k and it was on the bubble. I have a feeling one of them the short stack actually kept doubling and I ended up not cashing which really hurt, but the other I cashed comfortably. A lot of the time in DYMs your opponents stack size is more important than your own.

• edited December 2013
    Back down to earth a bit tonight in the MTTs. I didn't feel as focused tonight as I have done the last few. I took last night off in the end and decided to just go down the pub as I didn't really feel like playing, so just wanted to give myself a bit of a break.

It was the usual 6 tournaments again. I got lucky a few times in some of the smaller tournaments, but still couldn't convert them into cashes, which pretty much sums it up. My exit hands from the main and mini were both pretty harsh though! Especially to go out of the main fairly early when I had a good start and was up to 5k with a bounty fairly early...

I couldn't make it 4 wins in a row in the £100 Omaha, I did however get 2nd! So still a good record, and the £31.50 it was worth paid for a few buy ins, so tonight wasn't as bad as it could of been.

Tonight's MTTs - -£13.28

MTT - +£657.61
    Cash - +£19.56
    DYM - +£82

Overall - +£759.17
  • edited December 2013
    Played a bit more cash today. There wern't really any DYMs running nor any MTTs that I wanted to play, so I did 2 tables of 10nl Mastercash, 2 of 20nl and 1 of 30nl... Some up some down. down on most of them, but I did make £30 on the 30nl table, so that wiped out the losses thankkfully. Pretty much ended break even, just 19p down.

MTT - +£657.61
    Cash - +£19.37
    DYM - +£82

Overall - +£758.98
  • edited December 2013
    Good work Flash Gordon. 

I like how you use green and red for profit/loss respectively. Is that because you're familiar with Betfair, or just a coincidence?
  • edited December 2013
    Good work Flash Gordon.  I like how you use green and red for profit/loss respectively. Is that because you're familiar with Betfair, or just a coincidence?
    Posted by PokerNoon
    No, just because red is bad and green is good! Makes it easy to see... Thankfully, there isn't much red at the moment :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Some good insights shared on this thread Flash.

Keeping in line with your colour codes, I'm a little green with envy at your recent results and after reading your DYM analysis / strategy I'd be very embarrassed to tell you of a move I made in a £22DYM yesterday, even if I did go on to cash.

Congrat's on the profit, keep up the good work.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: A small flash in a big pan. : No, just because red is bad and green is good! Makes it easy to see... Thankfully, there isn't much red at the moment :-)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Haha of course, how silly of me to miss something so obvious ;) (I won't be wearing my bright red onesie anymore, that's for sure)
  • edited December 2013
    nice results charles

i`m sure it`s between you and doh atm in our mtt challenge I need to increase my mtt volume if want get the 150 games done