You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bounty Hunter bubble, simple BvB spot, call or fold?

edited November 2013 in The Poker Clinic
How much would his bounty be worth? I'm thinking it's probably a call. Losing this pot shouldn't impact us too much and we're getting decent pot odds vs a wide range.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    £11 Bounty Hunter. 7 left, 6 paid. We are at the three-handed table. The villain has a £12.21 bounty on his head. He is 7th of 7, the second shortest stack is on the other table with 7,000 chips.

A min-cash is worth £20.65. You already have £16.68 banked in head-prizes. The villian is a strong aggresive player and has proven to be a tough opponent. He will be well aware of the bubble as we are in H4H play.

The villain open-shoves his 3.75BB stack. You have junk. According to the Nash Equilibrium chart (opitimal HU push/fold ranges that ignore ICM) your hand is a fold.

Do you call or fold? And why?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    *Small blind  400.00 400.00 3020.50
    GaryQQQ Big blind  800.00 1200.00 28376.00
      Your hole cards

tantulus50 Fold     
    *All-in  3020.50
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Bounty Hunter bubble, simple BvB spot, call or fold?:
    How much would his bounty be worth? I'm thinking it's probably a call. Losing this pot shouldn't impact us too much and we're getting decent pot odds vs a wide range.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    It's in the OP, £12.21.
  • edited November 2013
    £9.15, isn't it?

That's what it's worth to us to win, I think.
  • edited November 2013
    Bounty value is something I'm unsure about anyway.

Part of me thinks that, as long as a particular bounty isn't overwhelmingly more valuable than any other, the cost of losing our chips trying to claim a bounty with an otherwise -EV play would completely offset the value of that bounty... as we can't now use those chips to win a bounty in future.

That would seem to suggest that bounties should make no difference to our decisions and we should make our decisions based on things like cEV and ICM.

Not sure though. Requires more thought, I think.
  • edited November 2013
    £9.15, isn't it? That's what it's worth to us to win, I think.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Correct, of the £12.21 we would bank £9.15 if we win the hand, the remaining 25% gets added to our own head-prize.
  • edited November 2013
    If villain's shoving any two, it's probably a call...

In this situation we have the villain covered so badly that we're getting 40% ish on the call. We're also looking at a spot to ladder and claim that bounty (whether that makes a difference or not), without really risking much. We probably should assume the villain is actually shoving any two.

40% isn't great with 9-high, but meh. It's not a big mistake to call, either way. Stove will tell you how 93 plays against a range of ATC.
  • edited November 2013
    If villain's shoving any two, it's probably a call... In this situation we have the villain covered so badly that we're getting 40% ish on the call. We're also looking at a spot to ladder and claim that bounty (whether that makes a difference or not), without really risking much. We probably should assume the villain is actually shoving any two. 40% isn't great with 9-high, but meh. It's not a big mistake to call, either way. Stove will tell you how 93 plays against a range of ATC.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    93o has exactly 40% equity against atc.

Personally I'd say he's a bit tighter than atc on the stone-cold bubble. If he has utter trash he can see another two hole-cards with 3.25BB on the button, then another two on the big blind if he sees trash again. Meanwhile there's always the chance that AA might run into KK, or something similar, between two other players. He will be aware he has no FE.

I'd say top 60% of hands is more likely, in which case our 93o has 33% equity.
  • edited November 2013
    Call. 

Chance to not only take his head prize but also burst the bubble and get on that FT. 

Your stack is way too big to pass this I think, will only be a flesh wound if you double him up.
  • edited November 2013
    I call, seems like we're gonna be getting the right price or pretty close.

Can't ignore the fact that ICM wise obv we have a VERY high chance of cashing but with this call (and a win) comes 100% chance of bounty and cash

So £9.15 + £20.65 (£29.80) is locked up as ours 40% of the time. Given that 1st prize in these £11 BHs is lucky to get like £150, can't sniff at that.
  • edited November 2013
    I think as pointed out by BorinLoner the key to the decision hinges on how we factor in the head-prize. I've often wondered what is the best way to look at this mathematically.

Clearly xxx chips plus a head prize is worth more than xxx chips alone.

Rightly or wrongly my thought process goes something like this;

The head prize is worth £9.15 to us, so that's 91.5% of a £10 buy-in (excluding rake). So you could say the head-prize is worth 91.5% of a 2000 chip starting stack, or 1830 chips.

So now the pot is worth 4220 + 1830 = 6050. Therefore our 2620 call becomes much easier. Getting well over 2/1 we have enough equity to call against a range much tighter than atc.

Am I working this out correctly? I'm not sure that I am. The the reason I posted this simple hand is because I'd like to know the correct mathmatical approach to evaluating these Bounty Hunters spots. Any thoughts gratefully received.
     Small blind  400.00 400.00 3020.50
    GaryQQQ Big blind  800.00 1200.00 28376.00
      Your hole cards

tantulus50 Fold     
     All-in  3020.50 4220.50 0.00
    GaryQQQ Call  2620.50 6841.00 25755.50
     Show
    • K
    • A

GaryQQQ Show

Flop

Turn

River

GaryQQQ Win Straight to the 7 6841.00  32596.50
  • edited November 2013
    The trouble with just adding the value of the bounty to the value of the chips you can win is that it assigns no value to the chips you might lose. When we call off those chips in a -cEV situation based on that bounty, we essentially say that the chips we might win are more valuable than the ones we might lose, simply because of that bounty. It ignores the value the chips in our stack might have in gaining future bounties.

If we don't put those chips into the pot in a -EV situation, they could be more valuable in future, when we find a +cEV spot to put those chips in. That +cEV may well also have a bounty on the line which we can win. In the long-term, that ought to offset the missed bounty chance of the occasions we fold.

I'm not sure if that makes complete sense written down. Sounded good in my head, though.

I'm sure someone out there has written something very convincing making one argument or another on this. None of the arguments I've ever heard have really made me believe that we should consider the bounty as a factor in our decision making.

Another situation which convinces me that it shouldn't be a factor is:

We're second in chips and the big stack shoves on us. We have KK and think we're probably crushing the villain's range.

We can fold and look to claim all the bounties at the table before taking on the big stack. There is no bounty we can win in this hand, after all.

However, if we call and win we don't lose that opportunity to claim those other bounties. We enhance our chances of doing so in the long run, even if we in fact bust in this hand, and we improve our chances of winning tournaments.

Now I'm absolutely certain that didn't make a huge amount of sense. Hope you follow my line of thought, though.
  • edited November 2013
    I think this is an easy and trivial call. Too many reasons to call than not. You have a chance to burst the bubble and take a head prize and it doesnt cost us more than 10% of our stack and remember, no-one is ever drawing dead pre-flop! It also has the added value that your table image will change and opponents will be less likely to shove on you light.
  • edited November 2013
    How big is the other stack on your table please Gary?

FWIW I feel this is a fold at the moment.
  • edited November 2013
    How big is the other stack on your table please Gary? FWIW I feel this is a fold at the moment.
    Posted by TommyD
    The player on the button had 25636.75 chips.

Chip leader was at the other table with around 32K, I was in second in chips, button at my table in third.

There were three stacks at the other table in the 7K to 9K range, the chipleader was using the bubble dynamic to run them over.
  • edited November 2013
    Oppo needs to be shoving ATC to make this a profitable call.  There is a huge difference between what people should be shoving and what they actually are.  We hear it all of the time.  People troll certain regs here and make comments about 'lol folding to 3bb and waiting for Kings' etc etc.  However the same trolls with the lols are exactly the people who pay off in those spots.  The simply do not adjust to a read they clearly have and are the bigger fools by a long chalk.

I digress, of course, that's not what we are directly talking about here.  I fold.  I do not take the bounty into consideration because the scores I want will be at the very top of the finishing positions.  Bounties will come when they come and until I see the Head prize being worth more than the prize pool prize for the top two spots on a regular basis, I very much doubt I will change that position, feel free to convince me otherwise.

I asked about the other player Gary as I will be planning to get some chip supply in these spots anyway with one of the top stacks.  The supply is present, let's leech him.

Final point, I may take a different view if we were a ton deeper, we are not that deep ourselves.  Let's look after our stack for the FT and play for the gold medal eh?
  • edited November 2013
    Post game i think we can make an estimate as to what your stack is currently worth in £'s in relation to the prizepool given your skill edge v the percieved standard of your opponents. call that value 'Cv'. There will be ICM calculators that will help work that out.

We know that the chips we lose are more valuable than the chips we win in an MTT so we need to work out if the bounty on offer compensates enough to allow us to call v ATC here.

Cv = £ value of our stack if we fold

Cvw = £ value of our stack if we call and win

Cvl = £  value of our stack if we call and lose

B = £ value of villains bounty

Eq1 = % equity of our holding v villains percieved range

Eq2 = % equity of villains range v our holding

----

[Cvw+B]*Eq1 + Cvl*Eq2 = X

if X is bigger than Cv then call.

im not 100% sure my maths is right here. maybe some clever bods can tinker with the equations. but the general principal is to compare the ICM EV of each outcome and weight it to how likely that outcome is.

good luck doing that in game lol
  • edited November 2013
    My overall Bounty Hunter strategy is to ignore head-prizes in nearly all situations and concentrate on playing for the win. By far the biggest and most common mistake I see my opponents make is calling far too light to chase bounties.

In this particular spot my instinct is that this is one of those few situations where the head-prize turns it from a fold (in a freezeout) to a call in a Bounty Hunter.

I posted the hand here because the decision isn't quite as simple as it first appears. The head-prize and ICM both come into the equation. I used the entire timebar and typed into the chatbox 'I reckon I'm priced in with atc' before clicking the call button. FWIW the villain took it well, he said he would have called too.

If this were a freezeout hand all we need to do is estimate his range then we can do the maths. In a Bounty Hunter the head-prize adds another factor. I've yet to see a standard mathematical approach for these bounty shallow call/fold spots. I was hoping to see one in a reply :)
  • edited November 2013
    i'm pretty sure my equation above factors in the value of the bounty, but you wouldn't be able to do it in game. doing it post will help you estimate it.

in monetary terms, the chips you lose are more valuable than the ones you win. so does the bounty compensate? thats the key question and i think the equation above solves it. maybe a genuinley clever person as opposed to a maths newb like myself could make a better job of it, but i think its on the right lines
  • edited November 2013
    Oppo needs to be shoving ATC to make this a profitable call.  There is a huge difference between what people should be shoving and what they actually are.  We hear it all of the time.  People troll certain regs here and make comments about 'lol folding to 3bb and waiting for Kings' etc etc.  However the same trolls with the lols are exactly the people who pay off in those spots.  The simply do not adjust to a read they clearly have and are the bigger fools by a long chalk. I digress, of course, that's not what we are directly talking about here.  I fold.  I do not take the bounty into consideration because the scores I want will be at the very top of the finishing positions.  Bounties will come when they come and until I see the Head prize being worth more than the prize pool prize for the top two spots on a regular basis, I very much doubt I will change that position, feel free to convince me otherwise. I asked about the other player Gary as I will be planning to get some chip supply in these spots anyway with one of the top stacks.  The supply is present, let's leech him. Final point, I may take a different view if we were a ton deeper, we are not that deep ourselves.  Let's look after our stack for the FT and play for the gold medal eh?
    Posted by TommyD

I don't really understand your first paragraph. I believed that this was just a straightforward call and I can't see myself ever folding here. Your first line with villain shoving ATC makes sense though. That is what I would be doing in this situation. 
    You're a far better player than me though. so I'm interested that you might consider this a fold. Is it a calssic case of me thinking about what I would be doing in villains situation and not what HE may actually be doing?

Antes, you call immediately, I guess?

• edited November 2013
    Well, as I say I think the value of the bounties shouldn't come into it at all, with the exception of a remarkable situation of one bounty being worth significantly more than the rest or of winning the tournament.

Just as in Teddy's equation, any way you can add the bounty value to the call simply ignores the possibility of winning other bounties in future. It's not a one time thing. If you fold here, you can still claim the villain's bounty later. You can also use those chips to win other bounties and you're taking a +EV decision towards winning the tournament.

I said earlier I thought it was a call because the small blind could be shoving ATC. As Gary and Tommy have suggested that he probably isn't, then it becomes a fold. The bounty value should be irrelevant... I think.
  • edited November 2013
    agree borin. there's no way of accounting for what might or might not happen with regard to other chipstacks and potential bounties. you can only evaluate the decision with regard to how things are now.

i don't know if the bounty changes things too much in general here. i think it would if your stack has a low £ value as it is. ie if you felt outclassed by the field and so felt you had little claim to the main prizepool. likewise if your stack was so big that losing 3bbs would make little impact on your stack's £ value then it might be +ev to call v his range as the bounty would make up for the tiny £ loss.

when you have a reasonable stack and a reasonable claim to the main prize pool i don't know how much extra value the bounty gives you. that equation will give an idea in raw EV, but as you say there are other considerations.
  • edited November 2013
    I know there is probably a right answer maths wise but there are always times when a +ev move isnt neccasarily the right move.

For example folding AA preflop in a satilite on the bubble when there is other short stacks is considered the right thing to do even though in MTT's you would never fold. I think this is just one of those situations you can justify calling as you have so many things in your favour. If you lose your still 2nd in chips so doesnt effect you chace of taking other bounties/maximising the chance to gain chips. It is a chance to break the bubble, take a bounty AND cash. So its not just the £9+ but also the min cash (about £12ish I would guess?) that you would make also if your hand won not to mention the chips you would gain.

As I said before it also gives you a loose image that cant be discounted later on by the chips you can win by people being more reluctant to fight back if your percieved folding range is so wide. You have a chance to get more walks and more chance of stealing the blinds with less resisitence. 
  • edited November 2013
    There can never be an argument for making a -EV decision. EV takes into account all the things which cEV sometimes doesn't. So while there may be +cEV situations that are -EV, there can be no argument that a -EV decision can be profitable because EV and profitability mean the same thing.

Teddy, we can't view this as being an isolated situation. We don't know what will happen regarding the other bounties and the prize pool in this particular tournament, but we do know that those bounties are out there and, taking a long-term view, they will always be out there. This isn't the only bounty hunter tournament we'll play, after all. Even if it was, we'd still need to take the most long-term +EV decisions because those are also the most short-term +EV decisions.

If we're going to add the bounty to the value of the call, we have to add the possibility of the future bounty opportunities to the value of the fold. If we don't account for that at some point in the equation, the equation is incomplete. That ought to exactly cancel out the value of this particular bounty, in the long-term... (once again I'll say 'I think')

The value of making the cash also shouldn't figure in the value of the call as folding does nothing to rule that out.
  • edited November 2013
    how did villain drop to this stack size?

i'd suggest villain isnt a good/aggressive reg if hes been short for a while.

the fact hes turned up with AKs here may be suggestive villain isn't shoving anywhere close to the % that he profitably can.
  • edited November 2013
    how did villain drop to this stack size? i'd suggest villain isnt a good/aggressive reg if hes been short for a while. the fact hes turned up with AKs here may be suggestive villain isn't shoving anywhere close to the % that he profitably can.
    Posted by NColley
    He hadn't blinded down, he'd been playing a loose/aggresive style.

I doubled off him in a big three-way pot two hands before (with a shortie aipf he bluff/shoved at a K95 all clubs flop with A5 both spades, I hero called and held with QQ including Qc).

In the hand inbetween he folded his BB to the other guys limp/bet after I'd open-folded Q5o on the button. So this was only his second hand when super-short.

Two hands before;
    lelly01 Small blind  300.00 300.00 3575.00
    tantulus50 Big blind  600.00 900.00 25836.75
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

*Raise  1200.00 2100.00 14521.00
    GaryQQQ Raise  3000.00 5100.00 8800.50
    lelly01 All-in  3575.00 8675.00 0.00
    tantulus50 Fold     
    *Call  2675.00 11350.00 11846.00
    GaryQQQ Call  875.00 12225.00 7925.50
    Flop

• K

*All-in  11846.00 24071.00 0.00
    GaryQQQ All-in  7925.50 31996.50 0.00
    Unmatched bet  3920.50 28076.00 3920.50
    lelly01 Show
    • A

*Show
    • A

GaryQQQ Show
    • Q
    • Q

Turn

River

GaryQQQ Win Pair of Queens 28076.00  28076.00
  • edited November 2013
    Teddy, we can't view this as being an isolated situation. We don't know what will happen regarding the other bounties and the prize pool in this particular tournament, but we do know that those bounties are out there and, taking a long-term view, they will always be out there. This isn't the only bounty hunter tournament we'll play, after all. Even if it was, we'd still need to take the most long-term +EV decisions because those are also the most short-term +EV decisions. If we're going to add the bounty to the value of the call, we have to add the possibility of the future bounty opportunities to the value of the fold. If we don't account for that at some point in the equation, the equation is incomplete. That ought to exactly cancel out the value of this particular bounty, in the long-term... (once again I'll say 'I think') The value of making the cash also shouldn't figure in the value of the call as folding does nothing to rule that out.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    i was agreeing with you borin. we can only take the situation in isolation and that imposes limitations. as an aside though there are unknown consequences to any decision we make at the table. if we have a marginally +cev spot with the best player in the tournament who is shortstacked, should we start calculating the ev of knocking him out v the ev of doubling him up? should we start to think of the effects of the effects of our decisions? i think there is a cut off, and just looking at raw ev does give us a pretty good guide of what is good in general.

the value of making the cash, however should always be taken into account as this is the whole point of ICM modeling [excuse the pleonism] in any tournament decision, be it a DYM, STT or MTT. our decisions are based around what makes us the most money. what wins us the most chips and what wins us the most money may not be the same thing.

When we evaluate our current stack's monetary worth we are effectively estimating our chances of cashing and for how much if we fold. We can similarly estimate what our stack's monetary worth would be if we call and win and call and lose. once weighted for equity v opponents range, if the ICMev of folding is greater than the ICMev of calling then we fold.

bounties complicate matters and i attempted a crude way of factoring them in, but as you say it may be pointless as we cannot factor in other potential bounties / consequences.

enjoyed trying to work it out though.

• edited November 2013
    I fold - seem to be in the minority though

sorry haven't read all the posts, too many words, although i'm sure there is a lot of sense in everyones comments as usual

the reason is that i don't give the head that much value. why? because on the 3 handed table we are probably 50/50 to take the head anyway, so let's wait for a better position. also by doubling him up you increase the chance that the 2nd shortie is the next one out and so his potential value to you is less. and it makes it more painful to lose the next flip against him. so given we have absolute junk no need to be a hero, the only big beneficiaries of which will be one of the shorties.
  • edited November 2013
    Teddy

nice idea, and even though you can't model all the complexities it is better than nothing

however even if we fold we should still expect some prob weighted likelihood of taking that bounty and this is missing in your equation
  • edited November 2013
    My view: when we start half our buy in is for our bounty, the other half for chips... Therefor our 2k stack is worth £5... So if someone shoves for 2k we should treat it like a 3.5k stack (25% of the bounty gets added to our head instead of our pocket), that we only have to call 2k to win. 

If someone shoves we should be calling lighter than usual vs the villains shoving range. 

In this case the bounty is worth around 3.5k chips (roughly)... So we have to call 2600 for a 9.5k pot effectively. Obv you have to consider ICM too, but It's a call in my book as losing wont effect our ICM value much. 
  • edited November 2013
    Agree 100% geldy.