You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thinking out loud - Sharkscope.

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat

Morning.

A Post elsewhere this morning piqued my interest, & so I thought I run a thread, & see what you think.

Some of it might get a bit, you know, delicate, but I'm pretty sure that these days we can have this sort of debate here without resorting to personal or improper comments, bad blood, or ill-mannered stuff. It's just something I think it's worth chewing the cud over.

More.....

Comments

• edited November 2013

Elsewhere today, "chicknMelt" posted this comment after Sharkscope mis-reported a Tourney result......

"....something up with sky's results reporting??....."

Without fear of exaggaration, I bet I get 5 or 6 PM's or e-Mails every week on the same subject.

"Why do Sky not send the correct results to Sharkscope?" sorta thing.

It seems to me, possibly, that many don't understand how Sharkscope actually works.

For starters, Sky Poker do NOT send, or "report", ANY results to Sharkscope, in fact, nor does any other Poker Site. It's a bit of an oddity that people assume otherwise, but it's actually perfectly understandable.

What actually happens is that Sharkscope "scrape" Online Poker Sites for such information & results. I've no idea, nor do I care, why they so often get it wrong, but they do.

They don't pay for this information, nor do they have explicit permission to "lift" it. They just take it - & then sell it!

No way, in a milion years will Sky Poker change any reporting systems to accommodate Sharkscope, why should they? It's not as if Sharkscope PAY for the info. They "lift" it, then sell it.

In the process, they also make available information to all & sundry about you, me, & everyone else, UNLESS we choose to opt out.

That seems bang wrong to me. Surely it should be that we should have to opt IN before they have the "right" to use our private information? They are SELLING info about you & me. I'm not sure that sits well with me, personally.

More.....    

• edited November 2013

We also see a lot of players getting upset because, when a bit of a ruck goes off in the chat box after, say, a "bad" call, people use Sharkscope Stats to abuse others.

Sharkscope's T & C explicity forbid this, on pain of censure, but I've never seen any demonstrating that they exercise that right.

Do you think it's right that they put info out there, especially as to players who don't play too successfully, such that others can use it to abuse them?

More..... 

• edited November 2013
    These are some of the reasons i have opted out of SS.

You wouldn't want your bank to publish your bank statements online would you?

Edit*
    Isn't there a copyright or data protection issue here, with SS "lifting" data without permission and selling it on?

Shouldn't the "opt-in / opt-out" choice be made on here rather than on SS?
  • edited November 2013

Some poker sites have challenged Sharkscope's "rights" to do this recently.

One site that has done better than most recently is 888, & I believe they refused Sharkscope permission to report 888 Tourney results UNLESS the player first opts in.

I gather Full Tilt have done something similar recently, too.

This is all part of the realisation that Online Poker needs to look after players better, make the playing field more level, or as level as possible.

As you know, & I believe it is generally approved of by the majority of players on Sky Poker, third party software & "aids" are NOT permitted here, never have been, & never will be. Sky Poker think is it bad for the players, & the site. Unless I misread the Sky Poker jungle drums, that stance ain't ever going to change. But that's not the point here.

The point is, what do people think about the whole logic of Sharkscope being able to lift this info about you & me & everyone else, without our permission, & then go publish it for gain?

I actually think it is possible to stop it happening, & I can't imagine Sky Poker would suffer much, if at all, as a result.

And your views would be........?    
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope.:
    These are some of the reasons i have opted out of SS. You wouldn't want your bank to publish your bank statements online would you?
    Posted by VespaPX
    There.

Took me 3 long Posts to say what you said in a few lines.

But you were forced to opt OUT, surely that's back to front. Far more effective would be that we had to opt IN?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : There. Took me 3 long Posts to say what you said in a few lines. But you were forced to opt OUT, surely that's back to front. Far more effective would be that we had to opt IN?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Totally agree.

PS
    If i want to see how i'm doing i just look at my balance at the top of the page and if its more than i deposited 2 years ago i'm happy :-))
  • edited November 2013

I think the strangeness of it is from the fact that what it seems to be doing is in direct contrast to contract law.

In contract law it is clearly stated that lack of refusal does not mean acceptance. So they are giving out the information on people who have not agreed for this to happen, and the only way to stop it is to tell them no.

That being said i think the worst thing about sharkscope is the fact of peoples perception of it. They seem to believe that everything there is the gospel truth. Have seen it so many times on the cash tables where after a dubious play at the table someone starts spouting how bad someone is and using the sharkscope stats as proof of it.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Totally agree. PS If i want to see how i'm doing i just look at my balance at the top of the page and if its more than i deposited 2 years ago i'm happy :-))
    Posted by VespaPX
    Well yes - that info is PRIVATE, it is nothing to do with anyone else unless you WANT it to be, & you should be able to opt IN to do that.

The default is back to front, imo.

I might get appraisals of how I do my job, here at Sky Poker, from the Suits, but that's private, between them & me, not for putting in the domain.

How much you, or I, or anyone else gets paid is private, too. Why would it not be?

I might be getting this round my neck, but it just seems wrong to me.

• edited November 2013
    I'd be gutted if Sky stopped allowing SS to have the info, although is that even possible because all they do is basically what GaryQQQ does but on a much larger scale. FWIW, you also have to OPT in to have your results appear for Poker 'sparkly things in the Sky' lol.

Worst case scenario I think Sky could make it so you have to opt in but I tink it would be a massive shame to just completely block it (if that's possible)

Sure it can be used to abuse players in chat etc, but the type of people that do that are te type of people that will just abuse them verbally in some other way if that info wasn't available.

I mostly just use it as a means of tracking my own results and getting to see a graph etc without me doing it myself. It's also cool for the leaderboards, a few of which have Sky players on for top 20 profit in the world! I know at least 2 people that have a little competition with each other on who will finish higher on the Sky SS leaderboard. 
  • edited November 2013
    But sharkscope take information which is freely available to everyone anyway... its public information whether you win a tournament or not... you cant hide it.  If someone was sad enough, they could sit down and follow another player on here and get all the same info regardless if you 'opted out' or not.

IMO its not the same as 'publishing a bank statement'.  Far from that.

However, I do understand the reasoning behind players being irritated that their MTTs are being tracked without consent.  As long as people know that they are being tracked when they sign up I don't see the problem as long as they always have an option to opt out.

I personally quite like Sharkscope... but not to track other players as such.  I track myself... see which types of games im doing well in... where my strengths lie and where I can improve.  I don't use it to berate others in the chat box, nor do I use it to pick specifc tables on cash (cash poker is different anyway so it wouldnt make much sense to).  I use it to redistribute my money where im best at.... whether thats DYMs, HU, MTTs or anything else.
  • edited November 2013
      I think the strangeness of it is from the fact that what it seems to be doing is in direct contrast to contract law.  In contract law it is clearly stated that lack of refusal does not mean acceptance. So they are giving out the information on people who have not agreed for this to happen, and the only way to stop it is to tell them no.  That being said i think the worst thing about sharkscope is the fact of peoples perception of it. They seem to believe that everything there is the gospel truth. Have seen it so many times on the cash tables where after a dubious play at the table someone starts spouting how bad someone is and using the sharkscope stats as proof of it.
    Posted by Talon[/
    QUOTE]

Can't disagree with a word of that. As I noted earlier, the default is back to front.

The problem is that the info means players can get abused, & that is just wrong, it can't be nice for them, & it's definitely not good for Online poker generally to have people being uncomfy about this sort of stuff. It's very much in the same department as third party software, imo. People have to pay for that information, so the level playing field ain't too level.

I just don't believe they have the right to sell information about me & others without my opt in. And to be clear, Sky Poker do NOT give them this info - they just take it.  

• edited November 2013
    But sharkscope take information which is freely available to everyone anyway... its public information whether you win a tournament or not... you cant hide it.  If someone was sad enough, they could sit down and follow another player on here and get all the same info regardless if you 'opted out' or not. IMO its not the same as 'publishing a bank statement'.  Far from that. However, I do understand the reasoning behind players being irritated that their MTTs are being tracked without consent.  As long as people know that they are being tracked when they sign up I don't see the problem as long as they always have an option to opt out. I personally quite like Sharkscope... but not to track other players as such.  I track myself... see which types of games im doing well in... where my strengths lie and where I can improve.  I don't use it to berate others in the chat box, nor do I use it to pick specifc tables on cash (cash poker is different anyway so it wouldnt make much sense to).  I use it to redistribute my money where im best at.... whether thats DYMs, HU, MTTs or anything else.
    Posted by gazza127
    Yup, fair comment - but they SELL that information!

PS - You CAN hide it, as some other Online sites already have stopped Sharkscope doing so unless the player chooses to opt in, or that is as I understand it.

"It's OK as long as people know when they sign up they are being tracked".

But they don't. Do you think a poker newbie KNOWS that? There is nothing in Sky Poker's T & C's which says "another site may publish your Sky Poker results unless you specifically opt out". Sky poker do not knowingly allow it, it just happens. 

For the record, yeah, I like Sharkscope, too, but that's hardly the point.   
  • edited November 2013

Sounds ominous, do you think sky will take action to prevent SS publishing results in the near future?

As a skope-o-holic, for selfish reasons I wouldn't like this to happen but it can only be a good thing for poker. 

Skope will increase a winning players edge, and poker sites don't want that to happen?  

Doubt it will, but I hope this post doesn't influence the decision :(
  • edited November 2013
    Neveer even considered how it worked, I just assumed, like most people I guess. Now I think about it, it makes sense, becaue I know SKY's stance on this sort of thing.

I just asked my privacy expert at work (I work in a research lab, so they have to be careful about that sort of thing)...

He said that the information is made publicly available by the sites, all they are doing is collecting that data and making it available in an easily accessable way. so it is legal, It is however a grey area. The question is whether it is ethical. It seems like the general trend is poker sites are deciding it isnt ethical to make someones results easily available without them knowing in some cases. 

IMO it is the responsibility of the poker sites to make sure that the information they make publicly available is done in a way that their users are happy with...

I do like to use SS, think it would be a shame if blanket blocked by sky, but also agree that players should be made aware its happening so they can opt out, or have to opt in.

• edited November 2013
    Sounds ominous, do you think sky will take action to prevent SS publishing results in the near future? As a skope-o-holic, for selfish reasons I wouldn't like this to happen but it can only be a good thing for poker.  Skope will increase a winning players edge, and poker sites don't want that to happen?   Doubt it will, but I hope this post doesn't influence the decision :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    1) I've no idea - genuinely.

2) Agreed, it has to be, on balance, a good thing for poker.

It's good to see that several of us, me included, DO like using Sharkscope, & readily admit it, but we can still accept that it is not necessarily a good thing. That's exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Yup, fair comment - but they SELL that information! PS - You CAN hide it, as some other Online sites already have stopped Sharkscope doing so unless the player chooses to opt in, or that is as I understand it.   "It's OK as long as people know when they sign up they are being tracked". But they don't. Do you think a poker newbie KNOWS that? There is nothing in Sky Poker's T & C's which says "another site may publish your Sky Poker results unless you specifically opt out". Sky poker do not knowingly allow it, it just happens.  For the record, yeah, I like Sharkscope, too, but that's hardly the point.   
    Posted by Tikay10

I don't mean you can't block sharkscope.  I mean you can't hide it from others on the same site.  There is no way to stop people knowing you've won a tournament, as if they are in said tournament they can see that you've won it.

Selling this information is another argument.

If its wrong to show peoples win/loses when they don't want it freely accessible, is it a problem that they sell it? Surely its the same whether its free or not?

If the argument is sharkscope shouldn't be making money from public information, then that is another argument altogether.  Working in a football statistics company, I know for a fact that companies do this all the time.  Opta do this all the time.  They take freely available data, revise it/change it into interesting infographics and stats and sell it. Football games are all public knowledge, but no-one can be bothered to do all the research themselves... so they buy data from Opta.  This includes football clubs.  Do football clubs want all this data freely available to their opponents?  Probably not.  But it is a level playing field as long as each club has the option to take the information.  Whether it gives teams an advantage or not is something up for debate.  This is much the same as what sharkscope do.

• edited November 2013
    I didnt understand exactly how sharkscope aquired the information until now. I was under the impression it was with Skypokers blessing. I agree completely that they appear to have it back to front. Opt in should be the only way they can have this information if skypoker are not providing it.
  • edited November 2013
    I like to use SS to track my own progress and see how friends are getting on, so i wouldn't like to see it blocked.

Just playing devils advocate here, but you could see SS as being a good thing. For 'losing players' or 'depositers' who play for fun, it can keep track of how much they are down and whether they think they should continue. It's a bit like going to the pub, a bit here and a bit there, sometimes lots sometimes not  much, it all adds up and when you look at the big picture of how much is spent it can be a bit of an eye opener. Now obviously Skypoker, nor the winning players want these people to stop playing, but there are always new people coming into poker, and I would much rather have them depositing than somebody who is living outside of their 'budget' which leads poker to getting bad reputation. 
  • edited November 2013
    I didnt understand exactly how sharkscope aquired the information until now. I was under the impression it was with Skypokers blessing. I agree completely that they appear to have it back to front. Opt in should be the only way they can have this information if skypoker are not providing it.
    Posted by sim_mo
    Well the thread has been useful then, as many people are in the same position as you, & were not aware of how it worked.

It is not, if I understand it correctly - perhaps the Suits will correct me - with or without Sky Poker's "blessing", but I do know there is no contact or contract, & Sky Poker, or any other online poker site, do nothing to assist Sharkscope, & do not "supply" them, as such, with info directly or intentionally.

It just happens.

Quite an interesting do, really.

• edited November 2013
    I'd be gutted if Sky stopped allowing SS to have the info, although is that even possible because all they do is basically what GaryQQQ does but on a much larger scale. FWIW, you also have to OPT in to have your results appear for Poker 'sparkly things in the Sky' lol. Worst case scenario I think Sky could make it so you have to opt in but I tink it would be a massive shame to just completely block it (if that's possible) Sure it can be used to abuse players in chat etc, but the type of people that do that are te type of people that will just abuse them verbally in some other way if that info wasn't available. I mostly just use it as a means of tracking my own results and getting to see a graph etc without me doing it myself. It's also cool for the leaderboards, a few of which have Sky players on for top 20 profit in the world! I know at least 2 people that have a little competition with each other on who will finish higher on the Sky SS leaderboard. 
    Posted by Lambert180
    Not really, no - GaryQQQ's excellent thread does not collate & publish a players losses. We all like seeing our info uploaded when we win. ;)

I doubt they'd ever block it completely, but making it "opt in" instead of "opt out" must be a valid consideration. So the player has the choice. Many don't even know Sharkscope exists, of course, so opting out is a bit difficult. 

• edited November 2013
    Interesting thread.

I fully understand why people have concerns over Sharkscope and may wish to opt out.

But I quite like sharkscope, I was on a FT a couple of days ago and 5 handed decided to sharkscope the other 4 opponents 5 handed, which was quite helpful. Unfortunately one of the players was minus £1000's playing low stake games, which is ashame, but I felt I just had to find the right spot against this opponent which I did and managed to get most of his chips. I don't use it often but definatly find it helpful at FT's, just to get a better understanding of how certain people play, are they winning or losing players.

I would also say SC was instrumental in helping me improve at MTT's, I was winning or ftabling infrequently, I think I was min cashing a lot, so knew I was doing something wrong, that fundamentally I was making a lot of mistakes, it was at that point I decided I would give it a go and try and improve my mtt game. Sharkscope was a wake up call to me to put a bit of effort and time in to try and improve my game.

Personally I really like sharkscope, but understand why people may feel differently, and there will be many reasons for it.

• edited November 2013
    It has been well documented that the implementation of scraping and allowing 3rd party software (HUD.s/trackers) was a major mistake by the big online poker sites.

They have created this beast when all along they should have kept it at a level playing field.

I read somewhere recently the reason for the big sites to allow HUD's etc.. was a bad one and are only now realising they are stuck in a spot where they can't ban them cause they would lose customers. But also because they are allowed, they in turn are losing customers. Essentially the poker sites did not intially ban HUD's etc.. when they found out they were being used they just let everyone carry on using them. They should have banned them from the start, now it's snowballed into this horrible state of online poker.

all a bit dumb dumb

If all the poker sites in the world got toether and collectively banned HUD's etc.. then it would not be a problem.
    You will alwasy get one site not banning them to get all the clients.
    This is the main reason why they never banned HUD's in the first place, because of the fear of losing players in bulk to the rivals.

This is why you must applaud Sky and the like for their stance on 3rd party software and for me it's one of the main reason I play here.

Also fwiw Sharkscope is like the worse invention for online poker in so many ways.
    It's a shame far too many players are too short sighted to see it.
    Plus it's a joke site.

• edited November 2013
    Good morning all
    My ss says i am down £1200, i have been playing for over 2 years now , so i am losing about £11.52 per week .
    I have been verbally abused by some small minded people for been a losing player ,
    When  i have ss them a lot of the time they have opted out.
    Which reminds me of the old saying smashing up your neighbours furniture doesnt make yours any better.
    Ihave no problem with people knowing i am a losing player so i choose not to opt out.
    does ss     record sky poker rewards payments, if not  i earn between £10 to £15 per month , so my losses are under a grand not bad considering i have allowed my self £40 per week budget.
    All the best Rainman397.
    PS. DEEPSTACK @2.20PM FOR £2.20 TIKAY ALREADY REGISTERED 4 TOURNAMENT.
  • edited November 2013

Hi Tikay
    I find sharkscope quite useful for tracking my results and yes I have used it to look at some other players all available info should be used if all can see it.
    The big problem I have with it is it can give a false impression on mtt results if like myself you play a lot of sats
    and qualify for bigger tourneys then you  could end up showing a big loss when this isn't the case eg you sat into the big roller for 5 quid and don't cash you have lost a fiver sharkscope shows you have lost 110 quid

• edited November 2013
    When I was a relative newbie to this great game we adore I was sat playing in a tournament on Sky Poker and one of the players started reeling off the profit and loss of every player on the table having a dig at a couple of them who had lost quite a lot of money.
    I was fuming at the time how could they do this I actually contacted customer care here to complain to be told they could not do anything about this. I seriously considered stopping playing I was that mad, I wasn't one of those losing by the way at that time. 
    It was after this I found out about SS and that it was available on virtually all the main poker sites. I have visited the site but only read the terms and conditions faQs etc I have never used it to scope myself or anyone else for that matter even with the 5 free scopes per day you can use.
    At this point in time personally I feel it would be a backwards step for Sky to take any action to prevent the results being scraped as you put it (whatever that is lol) without other sites doing the same thing. You would probably just see many of the serious tournament and SAG grinders take their business elsewhere. However if as you say Tikay that other sites are moving away from allowing this scraping or taking other steps to get it stopped then I would love to see it happen here also.
  • edited November 2013
    Hi Tikay I find sharkscope quite useful for tracking my results and yes I have used it to look at some other players all available info should be used if all can see it. The big problem I have with it is it can give a false impression on mtt results if like myself you play a lot of sats and qualify for bigger tourneys then you  could end up showing a big loss when this isn't the case eg you sat into the big roller for 5 quid and don't cash you have lost a fiver sharkscope shows you have lost 110 quid
    Posted by gixxerk4
    But when you won the seat it shows you cashed in a £5 MTT for £110 so it shows £105 profit there, then £110 loss when you bust (so -£5 altogether) so it balances out correctly.
  • edited November 2013
    Good morning all My ss says i am down £1200, i have been playing for over 2 years now , so i am losing about £11.52 per week . I have been verbally abused by some small minded people for been a losing player , When  i have ss them a lot of the time they have opted out. Which reminds me of the old saying smashing up your neighbours furniture doesnt make yours any better. Ihave no problem with people knowing i am a losing player so i choose not to opt out. does ss     record sky poker rewards payments, if not  i earn between £10 to £15 per month , so my losses are under a grand not bad considering i have allowed my self £40 per week budget. All the best Rainman397. PS. DEEPSTACK @2.20PM FOR £2.20 TIKAY ALREADY REGISTERED 4 TOURNAMENT.
    Posted by rainman397

ill join you rainman! got some paperwork to do for a few hours so can play!
  • edited November 2013
    Interesting thread. I fully understand why people have concerns over Sharkscope and may wish to opt out. But I quite like sharkscope, I was on a FT a couple of days ago and 5 handed decided to sharkscope the other 4 opponents 5 handed, which was quite helpful. Unfortunately one of the players was minus £1000's playing low stake games, which is ashame, but I felt I just had to find the right spot against this opponent which I did and managed to get most of his chips. I don't use it often but definatly find it helpful at FT's, just to get a better understanding of how certain people play, are they winning or losing players. I would also say SC was instrumental in helping me improve at MTT's, I was winning or ftabling infrequently, I think I was min cashing a lot, so knew I was doing something wrong, that fundamentally I was making a lot of mistakes, it was at that point I decided I would give it a go and try and improve my mtt game. Sharkscope was a wake up call to me to put a bit of effort and time in to try and improve my game. Personally I really like sharkscope, but understand why people may feel differently, and there will be many reasons for it.   
    Posted by LARSON7

Sorry to single you out but this is like the reason it's so bad for online poker.
    The idea of a level playing field is just not true with online poker, hence why it's in decline.

If your using SS, HUD's other tracking software it's basically giving you an unfair advantage.

You may say but, it's available to everyone - that doesn't make it right does it.

How far do we take the use of computer software.
    If I program a computer program to play against you online is that fair ?
    I mean anyone can do it right !

Why did the poker sites not ban tracking software/HUD's when they first knew about them being used ?
    Surely this was cheating at the time ? Why did they let it continue ? MONEY - ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

MONEY! The same reason you want to use SS and get an unfair advantage and win MONEY.

Poker is corrupt from it's core!

• edited November 2013
    Welcome Sim see you soon.
    All the best
    Rainman397 In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope.:
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : ill join you rainman! got some paperwork to do for a few hours so can play!
    Posted by sim_mo
  • edited November 2013
    Good morning all My ss says i am down £1200, i have been playing for over 2 years now , so i am losing about £11.52 per week . I have been verbally abused by some small minded people for been a losing player , When  i have ss them a lot of the time they have opted out. Which reminds me of the old saying smashing up your neighbours furniture doesnt make yours any better. Ihave no problem with people knowing i am a losing player so i choose not to opt out. does ss     record sky poker rewards payments, if not  i earn between £10 to £15 per month , so my losses are under a grand not bad considering i have allowed my self £40 per week budget. All the best Rainman397. PS. DEEPSTACK @2.20PM FOR £2.20 TIKAY ALREADY REGISTERED 4 TOURNAMENT.
    Posted by rainman397
    Hey rainman!

That's pretty terrible people would talk like that and is totally unacceptable.

Whether it was online or in real life. Unfortunatly some people will act different on here, to how they would in person.

It's cool you have a budget for pokers and enjoy playing recreationally.

I would say, sometimes, we can make small tweaks to our game to help improve overall. A few months ago my sharkscope was minus £300, I made a few posts on here looking at ways to improve my game, and I've done ok over the last few months. It would just a matter of changing really small things.

The community on here is fantastic, especially the poker clinic, it's really good for posting hand histories and getting analysis from players who play all different levels.

Good luck, and continue to enjoy the game.