You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thinking out loud - Sharkscope.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope.:
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Sorry to single you out but this is like the reason it's so bad for online poker. The idea of a level playing field is just not true with online poker, hence why it's in decline. If your using SS, HUD's other tracking software it's basically giving you an unfair advantage. You may say but, it's available to everyone - that doesn't make it right does it. How far do we take the use of computer software. If I program a computer program to play against you online is that fair ? I mean anyone can do it right ! Why did the poker sites not ban tracking software/HUD's when they first knew about them being used ? Surely this was cheating at the time ? Why did they let it continue ? MONEY - ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! MONEY! The same reason you want to use SS and get an unfair advantage and win MONEY. Poker is corrupt from it's core!
    Posted by rancid
    I would probably say I disagree with this as all it tells you is if someone is a "winning" or "losing" player.

The biggest part is how they play and are playing at the time on the table. SS just puts there play in a context, it does not tell you how they play.

It is available to everyone, things like HUD's aren't. I would say they are quite different. HUD give detailed infoon how someone players and their tendencies.

Where as SS is generic information on results. But I can understand fully why people would dislike sharkscope and feel it could give an unfair advantage.
  • edited November 2013
    Thank you for reply.
    Ienjoy playing poker on sky and 99% of players are very friendly so a few idiots dont put me off.
    I normally only play low level deepstack tournaments and low level heads up to try and improve my game.
    If you are available would yoube able to play the deepstack @ 2.20pm, as you are a winning player i think playing better players than me would improve my game.
    Tikay is already registered.
    All the best
    Rainman397
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Hey rainman! That's pretty terrible people would talk like that and is totally unacceptable. Whether it was online or in real life. Unfortunatly some people will act different on here, to how they would in person. It's cool you have a budget for pokers and enjoy playing recreationally. I would say, sometimes, we can make small tweaks to our game to help improve overall. A few months ago my sharkscope was minus £300, I made a few posts on here looking at ways to improve my game, and I've done ok over the last few months. It would just a matter of changing really small things. The community on here is fantastic, especially the poker clinic, it's really good for posting hand histories and getting analysis from players who play all different levels. Good luck, and continue to enjoy the game.
    Posted by LARSON7
  • edited November 2013

This thread really is a credit to this Community, quite a contentious isue, & yet everybody is making their points in a fair manner, & seeing both sides of it. No debate is worthwhile, or will progress, unless we see both sides.  

We ought to have more of these "awkward" debates in this spirit.
  • edited November 2013
    This thread really is a credit to this Community, quite a contentious isue, & yet everybody is making their points in a fair manner, & seeing both sides of it. We ought to have more of these "awkward" debates in this spirit.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Could we have an "Orford" debate? :-)
  • edited November 2013

Hmmmm, surely the question here is as Chickenmelt states. Is it ethical or not? We live in an age where personal information is bought and sold by a vast amount of different sources. Whilst Sky Poker may not,Sky itself does. Buy something,log onto something,inquire about something. It all gets tracked somewhere. And don,t get me started on any of the so called social networking sights. Governments used to spend millions trying to find out what the populace was thinking and doing. Now all they have to do is look on facebook!
    When i signed up a few weeks ago i knew that i was hopeless and that it was going to be quite painful at times and was going to cost me a few bob to improve. I certainly don,t need sharkscope to tell me that i,m cr-p and anyone who sits at a table with me will soon suss it out.Which i would have thought is what good players do. So if good players can tell when a "fish" sits down what do they need sharkscope for? Or is it a tool only useful to the players towards the top of the tree to give them the edge against players around them. Bit like a sliderule really(nice to look at but you,ve got to know how to use it!)
    Sorry about the digression. My feeling is that unless you opt in then your info stays within Skys domain.
    Just remember, when the machines rise up against us one of us is going to have to travel back in time to save the world!
  • edited November 2013
    Interesting thread. I fully understand why people have concerns over Sharkscope and may wish to opt out. But I quite like sharkscope, I was on a FT a couple of days ago and 5 handed decided to sharkscope the other 4 opponents 5 handed, which was quite helpful. Unfortunately one of the players was minus £1000's playing low stake games, which is ashame, but I felt I just had to find the right spot against this opponent which I did and managed to get most of his chips. I don't use it often but definatly find it helpful at FT's, just to get a better understanding of how certain people play, are they winning or losing players. I would also say SC was instrumental in helping me improve at MTT's, I was winning or ftabling infrequently, I think I was min cashing a lot, so knew I was doing something wrong, that fundamentally I was making a lot of mistakes, it was at that point I decided I would give it a go and try and improve my mtt game. Sharkscope was a wake up call to me to put a bit of effort and time in to try and improve my game. Personally I really like sharkscope, but understand why people may feel differently, and there will be many reasons for it.   
    Posted by LARSON7

Ahh got a feeling........;)

Now then - and I'm defo not picking on you, or isolating you, but you said something there which as at the heart of it.

You 'scoped your Final Table, & it was "helpful". (To you....). Well we've all done that, or many of us have, & you've done nothing wrong.

Now move it up a level.

Have you gained an advantage over others by doing so? You suggested it was "helpful", so presumably, yes?

Sharkscope is not available to everyone, or more correctly, some folks can't afford, or don't wish, to subscribe.

Now turn it upside down. You can't afford, or don't want, to use Sharkscope, but your opponents do. Is that fair & proper, & would you feel OK about it?

Just putting it out there, not having a go at you in any way.

It seems to me to be similar to the "HUD's or not" debate really.
  • edited November 2013
    I "scoped" myself a few months ago, it told me I was a losing player when I know by the state of my balance I'm not (even allowing for the balance being boosted by cash for points). So I blocked myself, so others don't see misleading information about me.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Ahh got a feeling........;) Now then - and I'm fefo not picking on you, or isolating you, but you said something there which as at the heart of it. You 'scoped your Final Table, & it was "helpful". (To you....). Well we've all done that, or many of us have, & you've done nothing wrong. Now move it up a level. Have you gained an advantage over others by doing so? You suggested it was "helpful", so presumably, yes? Sharkscope is not available to everyone, or more correctly, some folks can't afford, or don't wish, to subscribe. Now turn it upside down. You can't afford, or don't want, to use Sharkscope, but your opponents do. Is that fair & proper, & would you feel OK about it? Just putting it out there, not having a go at you in any way.   It seems to me to be similar to the "HUD's or not" debate really.
    Posted by Tikay10
    everyone gets 5 free searches a day...and another 5 on your phone (when not on wifi - different IP).

I use it in the same way sometimes, and it definately is helpful, but I wouldnt say that it gives you the same sort of edge as a HUD does (or unlock the same sort of edge as a HUD does - you have to know how to use the stats etc to gain an edge)

HUD - tracks every move a player makes, and if you know what stats are "correct" or what one stat should be when compared to another stat you can use this information to find leaks in your opponents game without having to watch them play properly. It can basically tell you how to play against a certain person if you know how to us the information correctly.

SS - tells you how winning a player is. You might want to target a player depending on how much they have won or lost, but how you do that is ompletely up to your on interpretation of how they play.

...not quite in the same league as each other, but still an advantage i guess. non subscribers can still get this advantage, but only for alimited number of searches.
  • edited November 2013
    We also see a lot of players getting upset because, when a bit of a ruck goes off in the chat box after, say, a "bad" call, people use Sharkscope Stats to abuse others. Sharkscope's T & C explicity forbid this, on pain of censure, but I've never seen any demonstrating that they exercise that right.   Do you think it's right that they put info out there, especially as to players who don't play too successfully, such that others can use it to abuse them? More.....   
    Posted by Tikay10
    plenty of regs love to do this, I personally opted out of sharkscope, but u cant win coz then they abuse u about that
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : I would probably say I disagree with this as all it tells you is if someone is a "winning" or "losing" player. The biggest part is how they play and are playing at the time on the table. SS just puts there play in a context, it does not tell you how they play. It is available to everyone, things like HUD's aren't. I would say they are quite different. HUD give detailed infoon how someone players and their tendencies. Where as SS is generic information on results. But I can understand fully why people would dislike sharkscope and feel it could give an unfair advantage.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Your kinda contridicting yourself, you use SS to gain information on a player. This is the reason your using it.
    So it it gives back stats of a massive winner you can make assumption about there play, likewise if someone is a big loser.

Why did you feel the need to look on SS, to gain an advantage.

Quite honestly it's normal behaviour. If a friend is on a live FT table you may tell them players to watch out for or you may give them an heads up.

But the fact that these are available is not a good thing.

How would you like if they had all the data regarding your cash games. Do you think this should be make common knowledge. Do you think it would be good for online cash poker is this would be made available.

Sites must publish results somehwere so it can be mined, obviously sites do not publish cash game results.

The thing is why not and what is the differance.

Why does it have to be public knowledge regarding tournamnet placing but cash games do not get published.

I would hazard a guess and say the sites want to protect customers and maybe some data laws regarding player accounts.

But anyway, could you imagine if sites released cash game results!

OMG

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : plenty of regs love to do this, I personally opted out of sharkscope, but u cant win coz then they abuse u about that
    Posted by CHILLIE

I hate it when people abuse others at the table for ANY reason... I often defend the abusee - unless they are abusing me, in which case I quite enjoy it, quietly chuckle to myself knowing I have tilted them. Sometimes I even enjoy poking the abuser in some way to make sure they stay annoyed. lol. quite fun really.

Try not to be put off by people abusing your play, they are always the bigger idiot no matter what it is you are meant to have done wrong. everyone else at the table will generally think so too.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Ahh got a feeling........;) Now then - and I'm defo not picking on you, or isolating you, but you said something there which as at the heart of it. You 'scoped your Final Table, & it was "helpful". (To you....). Well we've all done that, or many of us have, & you've done nothing wrong. Now move it up a level. Have you gained an advantage over others by doing so? You suggested it was "helpful", so presumably, yes? Sharkscope is not available to everyone, or more correctly, some folks can't afford, or don't wish, to subscribe. Now turn it upside down. You can't afford, or don't want, to use Sharkscope, but your opponents do. Is that fair & proper, & would you feel OK about it? Just putting it out there, not having a go at you in any way.   It seems to me to be similar to the "HUD's or not" debate really.
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol I know why people are reluctant about s/s.

When I started playing on the site it was only after a few months I discovered sharkscope (through someone discussing it in the chat box/ rhyming of every1s results)

I thought at the time, it was  a bit bizarre these reults were public knowledge and why Sky pass this information on, I now of course know that's not the case, and they use software to garner the information from poker lobbies (that anyone can see).

After the 1st week I was never concerned about it, because it showed everyone's results.

When I said I found it helpful s/s the FT, it just confirmed my opinions on the players at the table. For example there was 1 player, who would limp in weak hands, 4/5x hands like 99s, 10s, and with monsters he 7xed it (at a FT when the blinds were massive!!) That was my "tell". S/s, and his results, just confirmed to me what was obvious from his results. Maybe interesting would have been a better word than helpful it certainly wouldn't alter how I played, or did play.

The thing I find most useful about s/s is tracking my own progress, that has been instrumental to me in helping to improve at the game.

I've never paid s/s a penny, I just use the free searches.

In todays world, it wouldn't bother me if sky could some how prevent sharkscope from getting sky results or not.
  • edited November 2013
    The thread was already very long by the time I came to it, so I haven't read past the first page.

I have to say, though, that sharkscope don't really sell your information, they sell their services. As has been said, all the information they use is published independently of them. All they do is collate that and put it in a long-term perspective. I can't say there's anything wrong with taking publically accessible information and presenting it in a new way.

They also don't provide any private information. No personal details are used, only your poker alias and other information which you have made public yourself.

Whether scope is good for the game or not, I wouldn't like to say. It's certainly a potentially useful tool for any player hoping to improve. It does take some understanding of poker to make sense of the provided information, though, so naturally the better players benefit more. That doesn't preclude new players benefitting from it, though. We were all beginners once.
  • edited November 2013
    Sharkscope is very inacurate,

For instance if I "sat" into a £110 main event for a £3 all in sat then don't cash in the main event Sharkscope would report I had lost £110. Although I would of only lost £3.

It also does not show cash win/loss, only tournaments. So fluke into the main 6 times a year and never cash you've lost £18, anyone looking at your Sharkscope see's you've lost £660.
  • edited November 2013
    I'd be gutted if Sky stopped allowing SS to have the info, although is that even possible because all they do is basically what GaryQQQ does but on a much larger scale. FWIW, you also have to OPT in to have your results appear for Poker 'sparkly things in the Sky' lol. Worst case scenario I think Sky could make it so you have to opt in but I tink it would be a massive shame to just completely block it (if that's possible) Sure it can be used to abuse players in chat etc, but the type of people that do that are te type of people that will just abuse them verbally in some other way if that info wasn't available. I mostly just use it as a means of tracking my own results and getting to see a graph etc without me doing it myself. It's also cool for the leaderboards, a few of which have Sky players on for top 20 profit in the world! I know at least 2 people that have a little competition with each other on who will finish higher on the Sky SS leaderboard. 
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm confused. If you know the information on Sharkscope is flawed, what worth is a graph for anything other than ego?
    Your diary demonstrates your ability in a much better, more accurate and enjoyable way!
    If Sharkscope was stopped "bum hunters" (excuse the terminology) would actually have to play proper poker to earn their living.
    I've followed your progress on the site since you started in no way am I implying the terminology used earlier, applies to you!
    But there are individuals on all sites who sit on heads up tables waiting for prey, if a recognised player turns up they decline.
  • edited November 2013
    One interesting thing I have noticed on Sharkscope....Most players showing as winning a lot on Sky are losing on virtually EVERY other site they play on. That is a very strange and interesting fact.
  • edited November 2013
    One interesting thing I have noticed on Sharkscope....Most players showing as winning a lot on Sky are losing on virtually EVERY other site they play on. That is a very strange and interesting fact.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    lol and how do you know there alias's on other sites?
  • edited November 2013
    Sharkscope is very inacurate, For instance if I "sat" into a £110 main event for a £3 all in sat then don't cash in the main event Sharkscope would report I had lost £110. Although I would of only lost £3. It also does not show cash win/loss, only tournaments. So fluke into the main 6 times a year and never cash you've lost £18, anyone looking at your Sharkscope see's you've lost £660.
    Posted by VickiPKR
    This isn't the case. If you win the satellite scope will (or it's supposed to, lol) show a profit of £100 or whatever the value of the seat is. Fail to cash in that event and it will then show a loss of the value of that tournament buy-in. So it all should end up showing you £3 down but with a £100 upswing, followed by a £100 downswing.

It isn't entirely accurate, as many will know, in the way it displays rebuy profit/loss and (I think) bounty hunters. There are some very misleading scope graphs out there on the back of these.
  • edited November 2013
    other than my own results the only real thing i use ss for is when i meet an unknown playing unorthodoxly
    it's good to know if that player is particularly good and therefore to be careful about
    so in this case it disadvantages the better player

besides ss is flawed as others have said
    my scope is 1000s below reality
    i think i leave it up to fool peeps into thinking i'm more of a fish than i really am

i do not think it is in the same league as HUDs at all
    as it is so blunt and inaccurate and gives no info on game play
    so with all due respect to the OP or is that the old man
    i'm just not that fussed

what i think is important is for peeps to know that sky does not "provide" the data direct for sharkie to use - they have to go get it
  • edited November 2013
    More intrigued as to why sites publish MTT/STT results but will not publish cash game results.

Tikay ?

• edited November 2013
    More intrigued as to why sites publish MTT/STT results but will not publish cash game results. Tikay ?
    Posted by rancid
    Are they actually published at such though? Is it not a case of them just literally accessing all the lobbies same as how GaryQQQ would?

I don't know which one it is, I'm asking ^^^
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Are they actually published at such though? Is it not a case of them just literally accessing all the lobbies same as how GaryQQQ would? I don't know which one it is, I'm asking ^^^
    Posted by Lambert180
    It must be scraping from the lobby- TK already said sky don't make this info available, they just come and get it. Would explain why cash isn't tracked 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : It must be scraping from the lobby- TK already said sky don't make this info available, they just come and get it. Would explain why cash isn't tracked 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Well yeah Ske deffo don't provide it... just not sure how it'd work for something like SnGs. They must ave software to pick up every single time a HU SnG loads for instance and the SnG stats have always been perfect (no games missed) in my experience, the problems only come with some MTTs.
  • edited November 2013
    I pay for a Sharkscope subscription, have always been very open about it. It costs me about £9 per month for 150 searches a day plus all the filters and other info non-subscribers don't get, good value imo.

As an MTT specialist it's more of a luxury than an essential, I like having the info but I could easily do without it. Self analysis is one of it's main uses for me, as demonstrated in my recent BR challenge. It tells me nothing about how any particular opponent may play. My notes are much more useful for that. The most likely way it'll boost your profit is if you use it for table-selecting STTs, something I don't actually do that often.

I like having Sharkscope, though I'd happily sacrifice it if it were deemed bad for poker. While it remains available to everybody I'll continue to subscribe.

I hate it when I see chatbox abusers quoting Sharkscope stats. That's its biggest negative as far as I'm concerned.

If Sky bring in an opt-in policy like other sites I'd be cool with that. I'd opt in so I can continue to self analyze. Not sure if I'd still subscribe, it would depend how many others opt in.

• edited November 2013
    From their website:

"What counts as an Heads Up Game?

For the purposes of the leaderboards a heads up game is any game with less than 5 entrants."

Interesting
  • edited November 2013
    Vespa I think that's just because I don't think I've ever seen a site run a 3 or 4man (1table) SnG ever. The only 4man SnG you ever see are HU games where its 1v1 then the 2 winners play each other so it is still a HU SnG.

So I can't see a situation where a SnG would ever have less then 5 runners and not be a HU game.

• edited November 2013
    Vespa I think that's just because I don't think I've ever seen a site run a 3 or 4man (1table) SnG ever. The only 4man SnG you ever see are HU games where its 1v1 then the 2 winners play each other so it is still a HU SnG. So I can't see a situation where a SnG would ever have less then 5 runners and not be a HU game.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Oh ok cheers
    Why don't they just put 2 players then? lol
  • edited November 2013
    Cos of the reason I mentioned above. Alot of places do 4man HU SnGs where you all pay say £1 but winner gets £4 cos instead of winning 1 game, you gotta beat your opponent then the winner of the other first game.

Sky run them too btw.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : plenty of regs love to do this, I personally opted out of sharkscope, but u cant win coz then they abuse u about that
    Posted by CHILLIE
    Chillie, I reckon you could make quite a lot of money by selling your own stats.

How much would it cost me/us for you to unlock your stats for an hour 1 day???
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Thinking out loud - Sharkscope. : Chillie, I reckon you could make quite a lot of money by selling your own stats. How much would it cost me/us for you to unlock your stats for an hour 1 day???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    lol we could have a whip around