You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament prizes always change?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament prizes always change?:
    I hope it all makes sense now Pokernoon, many people have explained it better than my effort. The Raffle Prize analogy is flawed, that is comparing apples & pears. Raffles have fixed, pre-determined prizes, & do not depend on how many tickets sold. A poker Tournament is exactly like the National Lottery, Football Pools (remember them?) or the Tote Jackpot - the prizes are totally dependant upon number of tickets/entries sold. Stick around, & it'll all drop into place soon enough. If you want to know EXACTLY what you will win, & how many places paid, then Sky Poker - & every other Online Poker site - do that by offering SNG's. These have a fixed prize structure, as the precise Prize Pool is known in advance, as only x players - no more no less - can enter.   Incidentally, as a side issue........if you had asked this question on any other poker forum - & there are hundreds of them - you would not have had the sort of reception you got here, where everyone has been so helpful, & understood the issue. Not one person has been sarcy or rude, & that alone is a testament to the players here.  Hang around man, & enjoy your poker. The best thing about poker is the learning curve. I've been on the scene for half a lifetime, & I still learn new stuff every day.  Take care now, & run good at the tables.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Cheers Tikay. I think I get it all now. I still think that it could be more clear in the tournament lobby, but for my own selfish purposes I'm quite happy with how it all works.

Appreciate the bit I've bolded above. I'm sure many who read my questions may have been tempted to roll their eyes, so...I'm grateful that they didn't.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament prizes always change? : Cheers Tikay. I think I get it all now. I still think that it could be more clear in the tournament lobby, but for my own selfish purposes I'm quite happy with how it all works. Appreciate the bit I've bolded above. I'm sure many who read my questions may have been tempted to roll their eyes, so...I'm grateful that they didn't.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Nope, because this is a bit special, this place.

Honestly, you'd have been ripped to shreds elsewhere. It was not always as nice here, either, but the mood of the place has changed a lot recently, & we have some really good folks here, incredibly supportive & helpful.

Poker NEEDS these sort of people, it really does. Sky Poker has them. It's almost a USP.

I hear you do a bit of Sports Betting, is that correct? What sort of stuff? 

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Tournament prizes always change? : Nope, because this is a bit special, this place. Honestly, you'd have been ripped to shreds elsewhere. It was not always as nice here, either, but the mood of the place has changed a lot recently, & we have some really good folks here, incredibly supportive & helpful. Poker NEEDS these sort of people, it really does. Sky Poker has them. It's almost a USP.   I hear you do a bit of Sports Betting, is that correct? What sort of stuff?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well it is appreciated. 

Anyway..yes, I actually make my living from trading horses online. I also bet on test match cricket on occasion. 

I don't know if you're familiar with Betfair, but on there you can make a lay bet as well as a back bet. A back bet is your normal 'I'm betting on this horse to win'. A lay bet is what the bookie normally does - betting on the horse NOT to win.

On Betfair you can back and lay. So I identify a horse that is going to steam in (where the price shortens) and then back it. I then wait for the price to shorten and lay it at the appropriate time to make a guaranteed profit before the race starts. Doesn't matter who wins, I get the same amount regardless. 

Given that the horses only takes up about 3 hours of a day, I have a lot of free time, so I decided to learn poker.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I have a blog about my sports betting if you're interested Tikay - www.betfairtrading.co.uk. Feel free to use contact form on there if you want to chat to me in more detail about it all. What kind of betting are you involved in?