You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

0.25/0.50 cash, can you justify this

Okay this is a bad beat but thats not the reason im putting it on here,

villain is just an average reg who in my experience of him, seems to play bad in 3 bet pots.

i asked him in the chat box what his reasoning behind the shove was and got some cocky response like "thanks for the money"

Can anyone see his perspective and tell me why they feel it might be an ok shove?? i certainly have reasons for why it isnt.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    dougster80 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £7.04
    royal_hugo Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £56.53
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

bambazonke Fold        
    jdeanzy Fold        
    Villain Raise   £2.00 £2.75 £54.19
    dougster80 Fold        
    royal_hugo Raise   £7.50 £10.25 £49.03
    villain
    Call   £6.00 £16.25 £48.19
    Flop

• Q

royal_hugo Bet   £12.19 £28.44 £36.84
    villain
    Call   £12.19 £40.63 £36.00
    Turn

• K

royal_hugo Check        
    villain All-in   £36.00 £76.63 £0.00
    royal_hugo All-in   £36.84 £113.47 £0.00
    royal_hugo Unmatched bet   £0.84 £112.63 £0.84
    royal_hugo Show
    • A
    • K

villain Show
    • J
    • J

River

villain Win Flush to the King £110.83   £110.83
  • edited December 2009
    Figures your air is barreling a tonne on that turn, and most of your checking range are AQ, QJ, and worse hands than his, so he's turning his hand into a bluff /w a decent amount of equity.
  • edited December 2009
    I think it's just bad play by the villian.  He's convinced himself you've got AK preflop to justify the call, bottled following through with this thinking on the flop by flatting and then reconvinced himself with your check on the turn that he's either good or the flush must hit if not.  I would have probably prefered to see you bet the turn though as your call shows you clearly didn't have him flushing on the flop.  When your continuation bet comes good on the turn I'd like to see you keep betting here.
  • edited December 2009
    Yup villains play here is terribad i think,

Just got unlucky

• edited December 2009
    yea maybe i should have jammed the turn, but against this villain i felt he would have to fold all his range apart from QQ, so checked to induce a bluff after all he only btn raise called a 3 bet so prob has JJ- 77.

true what LF says i would probably barrell my whole bluff range on any turn, only cos his smooth call on the flop was like a telegram sayin pair under QQ. But he isnt thinking like that, his thinking is i want that money in the pot and f u c k it if i get called i hav 11outs (if my FD is live)

prob shouldnt have posted this is strategy as he obv played it like a bum.
  • edited December 2009
    awful play u got very unlucky he shud of been relieved to get a free card ul
  • edited December 2009
    I wouldn't advise cbetting that flop but as you did the turn check is disgusting.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: 0.25/0.50 cash, can you justify this:
    I wouldn't advise cbetting that flop but as you did the turn check is disgusting.
    Posted by zing
    yea i should jam the turn but i cbet this flop 100%
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by zing
    c-bet is perfectly fine if he's going to barrel imo.
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by zing
    c-bet is perfectly fine if he's going to barrel imo.
  • edited December 2009
    Villain should of shipped it on the flop, only 1 over and flush draws, get it all in and hope you didn't hold the Q.
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    as played you have to jam the turn, you c-bet with air, then check when you make your hand....if he slow played qq then you give it to him but on that flop he has jj -99/aq majority of the time

personally im check folding the flop, pps and aq/kq are a massive part of villains range and aq has you drawing to 3 outs, the only hands you get to fold you are beating anyway so theres no value in c-bet. good chance jj might check behind then you can jam turn anyway
  • edited December 2009
    Villain should of shipped it on the flop, only 1 over and flush draws, get it all in and hope you didn't hold the Q.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    But then he only gets called when he's crushed or has to fade 12-15 outs and folds out everything in hero's range that beats him.

FWIW, villain is prob not thinking on this level, but i'd prob play this the same way depending on if i thought hero ever c/f a queen.
  • edited December 2009
    U mentioned above that you checked the turn to induce the bluff, you got what you wanted.

U got unlucky, u played it perfect imo. But above, you want people to justify his play. u made him make the move u wanted, so whats it matter? u trapped him into thinking the k was a scare card for you and he bit.

If you dont want the shove, u bet the turn and the hand should be over.
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    in my opinion, nobody did anything that wrong. after calling your c - bet he hits the 2nd nuts flush draw.. he has two ways of winning..  try the semi bluff and hope you dont call (even if you do he has 11 cards to hit 9clubs + 2 jacks

• edited December 2009
    hugo your play here was worse than the villains by a distance imo, dont think villain did much wrong imo

your call after the turn is a call i would not make lightly on that board

your lot are being a bit harsh on the villain here, i wonder how you would react if you knew the fellow and he was a top player and one of the rugulars on here?
  • edited December 2009
    ps: its not a bad beat, nowhere near a bad beat, best hand won
  • edited December 2009
    in my opinion, nobody did anything that wrong. after calling your c - bet he hits the 2nd nuts flush draw.. he has two ways of winning..  try the semi bluff and hope you dont call (even if you do he has 11 cards to hit 9clubs + 2 jacks                              
    Posted by daz231023
    agreed.. hugo, you called an all in of £36 with just top pair and no club in your hand...

as i said earlier i dont think either did much wrong, but you certainly dont have anything to complain about
  • edited December 2009
    HI
    I'm sorry but this cannot be called a bad beat, you were only ahead when the king came, but when you called that big bet you were behind.
    I agree with the others that the villain didnt play it well, and got lucky, so stop whinging about it and reflect on the times, and there will be them, when you have dealt such and beat on your opponent, and accept that this is poker and thats why we love it, no matter hoe it kicks us in the goolies.

col
  • edited December 2009
    Last 5 posts need to be ignored as they're all idiotic.

It IS a bad beat as the money went in with one person being a big favourite. If it all went in pre flop then it's not a bad beat because it's 50/50...

Hugo played the hand well if he wanted to induce the bluff though I don't like his angle.

mr_mbro I hope you're drunk as you just typed a ton of garbage too. The only bet he ever called he was way ahead with?

As for the "you called an all in with just top pair and no club" daz, it's a 3bet pot top pair is more often than not good and on a board like this, highly likely to be good given the narrow range of hands the opponent has. 

Yuck.
  • edited December 2009
    mr mbro... i wasnt whinging at this as a beat, i wanted certain players opinion on the line they would have taken, i dont care about the outcome now but im stil interested in what people would do...

dunno what webby's problem is, was gonna do a special thread for him about micro stakes dym's so he could give me some strategic analysis from a topic he is familiar with...
  • edited December 2009
    mr mbro... i wasnt whinging at this as a beat, i wanted certain players opinion on the line they would have taken, i dont care about the outcome now but im stil interested in what people would do... dunno what webby's problem is, was gonna do a special thread for him about micro stakes dym's so he could give me some strategic analysis from a topic he is familiar with...
    Posted by royal_hugo
    hahahaha rinsed

webby that post was disgraceful, some people on here are donks...

• edited December 2009
    mr mbro... i wasnt whinging at this as a beat, i wanted certain players opinion on the line they would have taken, i dont care about the outcome now but im stil interested in what people would do... dunno what webby's problem is, was gonna do a special thread for him about micro stakes dym's so he could give me some strategic analysis from a topic he is familiar with...
    Posted by royal_hugo
    osnizzap.jpeg
  • edited December 2009

First of all, what hand did you put him on? On that board the turn is a scare card and should be handled with caution. Also if you c-bet with air, why not bet when you hit? You only have top pair and that needs protection from draw heavy boards. If you check the turn and he pushes you should give it up even if you think you're ahead. Besides if you bet the turn you are representing having Ac in your handwhich will make him reconsider the semi-bluff.

• edited December 2009
    Posted by royal_hugo
    not sure why my post was disgraceful but hugo you posted this for people to offer an opinion, and my opinion is that i dont think i could have called the £36 all in bet, maybe i am a tighter player than you but for me that is a fold, only had top pair and no club so i think i would have folded and waited for a better spot with this guy, i have no problem with you hugo just offering an opinion on this which i thought you wanted.

gl at the tables
  • edited December 2009
    lol whats going on in this thread. Villains play was kind of bad but i would have just shipped the turn tbh if i was you..
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: 0.25/0.50 cash, can you justify this : not sure why my post was disgraceful but hugo you posted this for people to offer an opinion, and my opinion is that i dont think i could have called the £36 all in bet, maybe i am a tighter player than you but for me that is a fold, only had top pair and no club so i think i would have folded and waited for a better spot with this guy, i have no problem with you hugo just offering an opinion on this which i thought you wanted. gl at the tables
    Posted by webby234
    fair enough

yea gd luck to u also
    x
  • edited December 2009
    hi there i was the villian maybe yous think it was a bad play but a do play a lot on sky poker but i`m still learnin and improvin all the time and my reasonin behind it was that wen he did cont bet he could have ak, aq thats wit a thot but a thot a would call see wit he does on the turn he checked so a thot the king would be a scare card for him(good check by the way royal)and i gave myself 2 ways of winning represent the king and if get called a still have 9 clubs and 2 jacks that wiz my thots behind it sorry about the bad beat royal