You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2014 Leaderboard: Points Distribution...

edited December 2013 in Poker Chat
jdsallstar for me.

Bulk of the points should be for FT and beyond, but bearing in mind that some mains and minis on Sky get around 500 (sometimes more) runners... should get something for getting in the top 20 of the Tuesday turbo for example.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Several points arrangements have been suggested, so let's get that sorted out before we go any further. Here are the seven primary candidates. I think the answer lies in one of these.

So, have at it.

peter27
    (places 1 - 10)
    25 - 18 - 15 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 2 - 1

CraigSG1
    (places 1 - 12)
    50 - 25 - 15 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

Lambert180
    (places 1 - 6)
    50 - 30 - 25 - 20 - 15 - 10

FlashFlush
    (places 1 - 10)
    25 - 20 - 18 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3 - 1

jdsallstar
    (places 1 - 20)
    25 - 20 - 18 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 3 - 2 (11-20 receive 1 point)

GELDY
    (places 1 - 12)
    20 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

skicowboys
    (places 1 - 20)
    25 - 20 - 18 - 16 - 14 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 (11-20 receive 2 points)
  • edited December 2013
    Geldy's for me last 2 tables rewarded seems sensible and not too many points for a 1st place but gives everyone something to aim at. Not that I will ever be on the leader board ;o(
  • edited December 2013

When i thought about the points distribution. The best i could come up with was a system that ignored buyin size and field size.  And that would be

Points =  Payout/buy in (rounded to nearest integer).

For bounty hunters the points would kick in when the cah payouts start and would also include head prizes.
  • edited December 2013
    Lambo's for me. Points for final table only, keeps it nice and simple for whoever collates the points every day/week/month.

Good idea this. I wonder who's gonna finish 3rd after Matt and Tommy??
  • edited December 2013
    I've voted for JD's, it's basically the same as mine but pays down to 20, which is fairer to be honest.
  • edited December 2013
    big problem with JDs and Flash's is that you make more points laddering on the 2nd table than the FT ie 3pt jumps become 2pt jumps on the FT
  • edited December 2013
    Look in the original thread for this to see how these tables would look if it ran this year.
  • edited December 2013
    Ummm, my username is peter27, not peter127 - and in the poll, I am not called Paul .. xD
  • edited December 2013
    CraigSG gets my vote, well structured and fairly top-heavy.

As I write I'm very surprised to see jd's system leads because it's flawed. The jumps decrease from 3 points per place before the final table to only 2 points per place once at the final table. This is bonkers imo and is totally contrary to any MTT scoring system currently in use.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: 2014 Leaderboard: Points Distribution...:
    Ummm, my username is peter27, not peter127 - and in the poll, I am not called Paul .. xD
    Posted by peter27
    Meh.

Gary and Geldy have valid points about the jumps in jdsallstar's figures...
  • edited December 2013
    Yeah don't think we necessarily HAVE to go with the one with the most votes if there is good reasoned arguements for why they are flawed.

Very interesting stuff from Tommy. It's probably only jumped out at me cos his name is in capitals but it's interesting that Ebberdon appears in all lists except the two which are much more top heavy (like an MTT is and should be), mine and Craig's. People may comment that Tommy has a massive lead via these methods but it should be said that it's correct for it to be this way cos he has absolutely destroyed MEs in 2013.

There should be a sweat if it's actually close thing, but if someone genuinely has bossed the MEs/Minis then they should have a massive lead and should not be held back just 'to be fair to everyone'.

Agree about the payjumps thing mentioned above. MTTs are very top heavy, rightly so, and the points system should be in line with this
  • edited December 2013
    I still think a top heavy style structure is the way to go and not too many places either. You have to remember that this will be over a year and the table would just get too long and be very, very hard for anyone to update as the year progresses.

A point about mine, you need to have more points develop between each place, especially as you get on the FT as you should be rewarded for having a good run and even a win. 
  • edited December 2013
    Garyqqq and others are right my points are flawed and should be ruled out.

I still think we should not be too top heavy and still should include a decent number of players getting points.

Surely along with giving the prizes to the most deserving one of the main aims of the league has to be to make it interesting and fun for as many people as possible without it becoming ridiculous.

All the systems rate the players fairly similar so my vote goes to skicowboys system.
  • edited December 2013
    CRAIG SG FOR ME
  • edited December 2013
    Don't make it top heavy. The prize pools are already way too top heavy, no need for the points scheme to reflect that as well.
  • edited December 2013
    The prizepools are as top heavy as they should be imo as they are with pretty much every single site. The only reason they may seem like poor payouts at the lower end is because close to 90% of MEs and Minis are BHs which means payouts (especially pre bounties) are always worse compared to a standard freezeout so sometimes if you don't get bounties finishing like 15th can really suck.

Making proper deep runs and closing out MTTs is one of the hardest bits so the rewards should strongly be in their favour (in cash and points)
  • edited December 2013
    Controversial... The problem with this is: Sky have put up prizes. We now all have to argue what is fair and what isn't and what a reflective points table should look like, rather than just setting something up 'for fun'.

Any summation system is going to reward volume, so good if the mini and mains could be split (not caught up on the other thread yet btw).

PS - my first point is not a opt-out statement for any prize I might be lucky enough to bink ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Mike makes a good point, and once prizes are up for grabs naturally a lot of people are always gonna think 'which points distribution system is best for me?'

Fun is important and everyone should have a little bit of extra fun playing their usual games but having the addded bouns they might get on a leaderboard (and potentially get a prize)... it is completely free after all and requires no extra work than you'd normally do!

The truth is, ofc the leaderboards are gonna be filled by the best MTT regs on the site because they play most MEs and Minis and are the better players so over the course of a year will come out on top (rightly so). No amount of massaging the figures/adjusting points distribution will (or should) change that.
  • edited December 2013
    My comment and vote is completely impartial as I don't play poker in the evening, therefore have zero chance of making the leaderboard.

I too agree, many voters appear to have have gone for structures that suit themself rather than structures that suit the best players.
  • edited December 2013
    Agree with Gary.

I haven't voted yet, probably won't tbh.  Let's just keep this simple and fun eh?  The best way imo.  The league shouldn't be a guide to 'X is the best' because it's over such a focussed limited sample.  Just a laugh and a year long chase and sweat.  And defo include the mini, not sure if you should combine the two or keep them separate.  I think combine the two provided this is if anything a benefit to the mini only players rather than the main only players.  Let's give the mini a little edge eh?
  • edited December 2013
    The reason I brought this idea forward is because I like a challenge, and I enjoy (friendly) competition. Let's not get bogged down by talk of 'voting to give you the best chance of success'. I would be quite happy with any (reasonable) points distribution. I was just looking for a little added excitement for playing the Main and Mini events each evening, and I was hoping a lot of you would feel the same way.

Prizes to me are irrelevant really, and I didn't start the thread for Sky to offer them. Don't get me wrong, it's great that the prizes are now out there, but this was supposed to be a simplistic way of determining your relative 'rank' as a player. Yes, you cannot quantify skill based on one year of placings in two tournaments, and you're absolutely right, any crude tournament leaderboard that I produce will not mean all that much come this time next year...

...but it started off as fun, so let's try and keep it that way folks :)
  • edited December 2013
    Totally agree with the posts above. We'll offer prizes to the value of my first offer in the other thread divided up however you like :)
  • edited December 2013
    Slips got a a decent head on his shoulders so I reckon we just let him choose whatever he thinks is best. As above, it's only a bit of fun, and if these are gonna need updating daily then it needs to be in a format that is easily do-able for Slip.

I reckon just pick one and run with it Slip :)
  • edited December 2013
    Slips got a a decent head on his shoulders...Posted by Lambert180
    Not sure where you got that crazy idea from, mate! :)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: 2014 Leaderboard: Points Distribution... : Not sure where you got that crazy idea from, mate! :)
    Posted by Slipwater
    And no slip-ups....
  • edited December 2013
    Well clearly people want 20 places paid, that's why JD and Ski's points have the most votes, so if you want the jumps to get bigger, how about this... Can't see anything wrng with it personally...

30 - 24 - 19 - 16 - 13 - 10 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 (11-20 receive 1 point)

It starts off with 1 point jumps, then to 2. Once you reach the final table it goes up in 3's until you get to HU and the win...
  • edited December 2013
    Could we not just do the leaderboard on cash won ?
  • edited December 2013
    Well clearly people want 20 places paid, that's why JD and Ski's points have the most votes, so if you want the jumps to get bigger, how about this... Can't see anything wrng with it personally... 30 - 24 - 19 - 16 - 13 - 10 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 (11-20 receive 1 point) It starts off with 1 point jumps, then to 2. Once you reach the final table it goes up in 3's until you get to HU and the win...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    +1

• edited December 2013
    1267 makes a very good point! It would mean the scoring system matches the actual payout system of an MTT exactly so no arguements about it being too top heavy or not top heavy enough, and monetary value doesn't make a difference if there is a seperate table for MEs and Minis. Also means there's automatic weighting for certain MTTs. i.e. it's more prestigious (imo) taking down the Primo than taking down Turbo Tuesday ME and that would be reflected in the payout.
  • edited December 2013
    I quite like what Flash has suggested - seems to cover most bases :)