You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Win a Playstation4

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
Just getting ready for the naughty step again but what chance have run of the mill Sky punters like me got of winning this? Absolutely jack *hit. It`s okay for those unemployed people with sponsors  but some of us have to work for a living and pay bills.
Isn`t  it about time that Sky thought about 97% of their punters rather than the favoured few.

I`ll be back if Sky let me XXXX

Or just read me in the National Press

Comments

• edited January 2014
    There are a few threads about this, one in which I am about to post.  Please read them as they will show you much debate about the T & Cs. 

In short, Priority Club members are no eligible.  So this promotion is designed exactly for the recreational player such as yourself.  If not for the top ten which is very doable for a recreational player but for the top fifty and the freeroll for six packages.  You may need to grind slightly more but so many of the people who play professionally or do not have daytime jobs as you have stated are excluded.

Please take your time to read through the terms and conditions and that other thread, then if you agree with me I feel it's possibly right for you to come back on this thread, retract your statement and apologise.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4:
    There are a few threads about this, one in which I am about to post.  Please read them as they will show you much debate about the T & Cs.  In short, Priority Club members are no eligible.  So this promotion is designed exactly for the recreational player such as yourself.  If not for the top ten which is very doable for a recreational player but for the top fifty and the freeroll for six packages.  You may need to grind slightly more but so many of the people who play professionally or do not have daytime jobs as you have stated are excluded. Please take your time to read through the terms and conditions and that other thread, then if you agree with me I feel it's possibly right for you to come back on this thread, retract your statement and apologise.
    Posted by TommyD
    I couldn`t afford to play that much poker
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : I couldn`t afford to play that much poker
    Posted by mareeves11
    To quote your first post 'Isn`t  it about time that Sky thought about 97% of their punters rather than the favoured few.'

Isn't that exactly what Sky are doing here?  This is designed massively for the said 97%

Admittedly you'd have to play some, that's just common sense.  Do you want these bundles given out in a raffle or something?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : I couldn`t afford to play that much poker
    Posted by mareeves11
    Oh I see, you want something for nothing. Well wouldn't that be perfect. 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Win a Playstation4:
    Just getting ready for the naughty step again but what chance have run of the mill Sky punters like me got of winning this? Absolutely jack *hit. It`s okay for those unemployed people with sponsors  but some of us have to work for a living and pay bills. Isn`t  it about time that Sky thought about 97% of their punters rather than the favoured few. I`ll be back if Sky let me XXXX Or just read me in the National Press
    Posted by mareeves11
    And when on earth is Sky going to run a promotion for players named after German submarine war films. It's just so unfair, I'm going to speak to my MP about this. Please get Rupert Murdoch to reply immediately. 

• edited January 2014
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan
    Moan

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : To quote your first post 'Isn`t  it about time that Sky thought about 97% of their punters rather than the favoured few.' Isn't that exactly what Sky are doing here?  This is designed massively for the said 97%
    Posted by TommyD
    I don't think so Tommy. It is aimed at a very, very small fraction of those 97% who have the bankroll and the hours to put in massive shifts playing the game. It's not going to do anything for the vast majority of recreational players.

(This is not a complaint or a moan, and I have no problem with the high volume players being rewarded, just a difference of opinion!)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : I don't think so Tommy. It is aimed at a very, very small fraction of those 97% who have the bankroll and the hours to put in massive shifts playing the game. It's not going to do anything for the vast majority of recreational players. (This is not a complaint or a moan, and I have no problem with the high volume players being rewarded, just a difference of opinion!)
    Posted by FCHD
    In December there was a double points week and a ton of people would have gone into priority, grinding for Christmas and over the holidays.  I really don't think it's going to take a booming grind or a massive bankroll for someone to win it.  I might be wrong but I think a lot of people are giving up before trying (this isn't aimed at you FCHD).  Give it a go, put in a few more hours, see where you are on the board.  It's getting updated regularly, you'll see a pace quite quickly.  Plus a top 50 for the 6 package freeroll is doable for anyone with the whole of the Priority Club discounted imo.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : In December there was a double points week and a ton of people would have gone into priority, grinding for Christmas and over the holidays.  I really don't think it's going to take a booming grind or a massive bankroll for someone to win it.  I might be wrong but I think a lot of people are giving up before trying (this isn't aimed at you FCHD).  Give it a go, put in a few more hours, see where you are on the board.  It's getting updated regularly, you'll see a pace quite quickly.  Plus a top 50 for the 6 package freeroll is doable for anyone with the whole of the Priority Club discounted imo.
    Posted by TommyD
    I think that is the key thing, Tommy. It takes a bit of effort, if we want something, nobody is going to just give it to us, we have to go & make an effort.

The whole idea of these things it to encourage people to play more. Sounds obvious, but every business tries to get it's customers to "buy" more product, & they do that by incentives. There would be little point in offering Customers more if they do not become more regular or active.

FWIW, I started a personal challenge in September, having earned 735 Reward Points in August. It went a bit pete tong at first, but I decided to really give it a good go, & gradually started sacrificing other recreational pursuits - watching sport on telly, knitting, gardening, this & that, & playing more Online poker. So there was a cost to me in less time for other fun stuff. But, in return, I gradually increased my Reward Points month on month until eventually I reached 5,000 Points in December, which earned me a £100 dividend. It was a choice I made, to put in some "effort", if playing poker can ever be considered an effort, or chore, which to me it is not. We all have that choice.

It never "cost" me anything either, as I invested some personal time in improving my game, & choice of game format, so that I could try & became a better player.

I know I'm old-fashioned, but I was raised in an era where we were taught that if we wanted something, it was not given to us, we had to go earn it. I got "pocket money" as a kid (do they still have that?) but I had to do jobs around the house to get it.

Not everyone wants to play more poker, & that's fine. But if we want some "bonus", it's there if we make that choice.

Personally, I'll not be trying for the new Leaderboard thing, apart from anything else, I don't even know what a PS4 is. I have not lost any benefits though, none at all, but if I wanted a PS4, I'd have a chance to win one if I chose to make the effort.

Pretty sure my attitudes are out of date, but there you go. 

• edited January 2014
    I dont like to moan, as sky dont have to give away stuff and its up to them... But i would like to see a performance related comp as opposed to volume!! Imo a main/mini league table over a month or somthing similar would be good.  I work 6 days a week an even tho im on sky for a few hours playing £11 mtts, every night its virtually impossible for me to earn more than 6/7k of points!! 

One thing i would say about this promo tho is... I hope sky watch out for double/2 accounts in one house..

Ie if i were a priority/ volume player, this month i COULD use my wife account which normally is used for the odd game of bingo.. Bet we see some names up top we have never seen before!!
  • edited January 2014

i will not give up my crochet work to win a ps4 whatever that is 

good luck to anyone that trys im happy with freerolls for 10 points 

• edited January 2014
    I dont like to moan, as sky dont have to give away stuff and its up to them... But i would like to see a performance related comp as opposed to volume!! Imo a main/mini league table over a month or somthing similar would be good.  I work 6 days a week an even tho im on sky for a few hours playing £11 mtts, every night its virtually impossible for me to earn more than 6/7k of points!!  One thing i would say about this promo tho is... I hope sky watch out for double/2 accounts in one house.. Ie if i were a priority/ volume player, this month i COULD use my wife account which normally is used for the odd game of bingo.. Bet we see some names up top we have never seen before!!
    Posted by bigflop1
    You obviously have not seen the January Leaderboard thread, have you?
  • edited January 2014
    People will moan no matter what promo is running,i could not care less about a ps4 if I wanted one ill go and buy 1.the promo is set up in a way that sky earn loads of rake from players chasing the leaderboard top 10,but cant see its worth the hastle unless u grind away anyway,but good to see the priority members are excluded might see a few different names on the leaderboard.However I do disagree with tommyd soz m8 this is not aimed at 97% of players on here because 97% do not have the time or the br to attempt this promo,try about 10% and u will be bang on.happy new year all and run good.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : You obviously have not seen the January Leaderboard thread, have you?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Yeah but its only a community fun thing.. No ps4 or prizes.. Sky should run it imo and not jst for fun.. Such a good idea then it should be run. Better than the real comp imo

• edited January 2014

The thing with the promo is a regular player on 4nl will have no chance. Because it's purely based on points it favours players involved in higher stake games. Someone playing 20nl, would need to put in over double the volume of someone playing 50nl.

This will be the reason so many people are criticising it. I believe it will be a small % of the player pool that will go for this, 30nl 50nl players who never made priority last month.

The good thing with other promos such as golden tickets or winter wonderland was it was inclusive to all players no matter the level they played.

• edited January 2014
    ...there are prizes.
  • edited January 2014
    ...there are prizes.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Didnt know that.. I take it back :)

• edited January 2014

Well I can't make anyone grind who doesn't want to.  Just a pity to me.  Personally I think this is a great prize and apart from one error in the opening line on the promo page which in my opinion has lead to some people snap thinking they have no shot and another group having expectations raised only to find out they are not eligible, I think Sky have put on a cracking promo directed to the right people.

We've had golden tickets in two of the last four or five months I believe, we're awaiting the Winter Wonderland results and freerolls, this is just a different promo.  And I really think many more people have a good to very strong shot at this than they realise, all it will take is the effort.  But like I said, I'm done convincing, at the end of the day 16 people will get a cracking prize and whoever they are, good luck to them.  I hope they enjoy it.

• edited January 2014
    Many thanks to Skypoker for allowing this thread to continue. At no stage did I intend or imply that certain players were favoured nor cause or intend offense to anybody. The mere fact that the thread is still running has altered my opinion of the way Skypoker treats customer criticism for the better. Criticism and feedback give Customer services some idea of what the company are doing right or wrong and should be actively encouraged. Many thanks to all who responded to my rant - it does make a difference and once again many thanks to Skypoker for allowing my rant
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : I think that is the key thing, Tommy. It takes a bit of effort, if we want something, nobody is going to just give it to us, we have to go & make an effort. The whole idea of these things it to encourage people to play more. Sounds obvious, but every business tries to get it's customers to "buy" more product, & they do that by incentives. There would be little point in offering Customers more if they do not become more regular or active.   FWIW, I started a personal challenge in September, having earned 735 Reward Points in August. It went a bit pete tong at first, but I decided to really give it a good go, & gradually started sacrificing other recreational pursuits - watching sport on telly, knitting, gardening, this & that, & playing more Online poker. So there was a cost to me in less time for other fun stuff. But, in return, I gradually increased my Reward Points month on month until eventually I reached 5,000 Points in December, which earned me a £100 dividend. It was a choice I made, to put in some "effort", if playing poker can ever be considered an effort, or chore, which to me it is not. We all have that choice. It never "cost" me anything either, as I invested some personal time in improving my game, & choice of game format, so that I could try & became a better player.   I know I'm old-fashioned, but I was raised in an era where we were taught that if we wanted something, it was not given to us, we had to go earn it. I got "pocket money" as a kid (do they still have that?) but I had to do jobs around the house to get it. Not everyone wants to play more poker, & that's fine. But if we want some "bonus", it's there if we make that choice.   Personally, I'll not be trying for the new Leaderboard thing, apart from anything else, I don't even know what a PS4 is. I have not lost any benefits though, none at all, but if I wanted a PS4, I'd have a chance to win one if I chose to make the effort. Pretty sure my attitudes are out of date, but there you go.             
    Posted by Tikay10

Very well put Tikay.  Brings back memories when I used to win all the rake races on here.  The players really when ape shi* when they were on.  They thought I just woke up in the morning and magically made 2000-3000 points when in reality I gave up pretty much everything fun to win them.

• edited January 2014
    If Tikay or DTM would donate enough cash I would gladly play in any promoIn Response to Re: Win a Playstation4:
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : Very well put Tikay.  Brings back memories when I used to win all the rake races on here.  The players really when ape shi* when they were on.  They thought I just woke up in the morning and magically made 2000-3000 points when in reality I gave up pretty much everything fun to win them.
    Posted by Donttelmum
  • edited January 2014
    Ipromotion !!n Response to Re: Win a Playstation4:
    If Tikay or DTM would donate enough cash I would gladly play in any promoIn Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 :
    Posted by mareeves11
  • edited January 2014
    There are a few threads about this, one in which I am about to post.  Please read them as they will show you much debate about the T & Cs.  In short, Priority Club members are no eligible.  So this promotion is designed exactly for the recreational player such as yourself.  If not for the top ten which is very doable for a recreational player but for the top fifty and the freeroll for six packages.  You may need to grind slightly more but so many of the people who play professionally or do not have daytime jobs as you have stated are excluded. Please take your time to read through the terms and conditions and that other thread, then if you agree with me I feel it's possibly right for you to come back on this thread, retract your statement and apologise.
    Posted by TommyD
    I can,t remember ever disagreeing with Tommy but on this occasion i have to. Having said that, i,ve seen the leaderboard after 3 days and obviously when he wrote this post he wouldn,t have known what scores were needed. 
    It could be as its the start of the month and ppl are putting in the extra hours and may fade as the month goes on but then again that could be offset by players who haven,t put the code in yet and are keeping an eye on the leaderboard to see where they will stand - looking at past promos this always happens

But at the moment you,d need to be hitting nearly 300 pts a day just to get in the top 50 which if worked out over the month comes to nearly 9k points which is only 1k off proirity. That to me is not aimed at recreational players

This is more of an observation and feedback for Sky than a moan or a rant as its a free promo at the end of the day and some ppl who normally fall short of proirity have something extra to play for this month

The one thing i would suggest is that when doing these sort of promos would,t it be fairer on the ppl taking part to know exactly where they stand as they could be putting in extra hours to scrape into the top 10 or 50 only for the last day to come and a whole bunch of ppl enter the code, making a mockery of the table. Personally i think the code should be entered in the first week in order to be eligible

EDIT : Just thought i,d give my opinion on the Winter Wonderland Promo while i,m at it.
    I thought this was a gr8 promo aimed at everyone. 
    Somedays after playing a few games i,d be about to sign out when i noticed i was slightly under the 50 point mark needed to qualify so instead of logging off i,d play 1 or 2 more games to get to the 50 points. This is what a promo should be about imo - putting in that little bit extra for an incentive thats not normally there. This month like many others i won,t have that problem as i know after 3 days i won,t be able to make the top 50 (without breaking all my BRM rules and probably losing a lot of money at stakes i,ve never played before). 
    Also like many others i predominantly play MTT,s which pretty much rules me out of this promo as i,d have to be spending nearly £300 a day on tournament buy ins 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : Very well put Tikay.  Brings back memories when I used to win all the rake races on here.  The players really when ape shi* when they were on.  They thought I just woke up in the morning and magically made 2000-3000 points when in reality I gave up pretty much everything fun to win them.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks Mum.

It was my personal view, of course, but it reflects life as a whole really.

There are many who think that when these Promos come along, they should not have to put themselves out, make an effort, devote a little more time to playing poker. I had assumed, mistakenly it seems, that people would understand that when a Business runs a Promo, it does so, directly or indirectly - for a reason. To increase sales. 

Boots the Chemist do a "3 for the price of 2" Promo on a lot of stuff. It's fairly obvious why they do it though. Me, I can't be bothered to buy more than I want, so I don't bother. 

I think Boots Customer Care might be a little surprised if I rang & said "look here, I only want to buy one, but I want it at the cheaper price. It's an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!".

It's my choice, & I can do whatever I want, I can take it or leave it, just as I can choose whether to try & win one of those PS4 toys by playing more hours on the site this month. 

• edited January 2014
    Many thanks to Skypoker for allowing this thread to continue. At no stage did I intend or imply that certain players were favoured nor cause or intend offense to anybody. The mere fact that the thread is still running has altered my opinion of the way Skypoker treats customer criticism for the better. Criticism and feedback give Customer services some idea of what the company are doing right or wrong and should be actively encouraged. Many thanks to all who responded to my rant - it does make a difference and once again many thanks to Skypoker for allowing my rant
    Posted by mareeves
    Hi Ma,

I'll pass that note upstairs in case they miss it.

I don't think the thread was ever in danger of being closed, & whilst you were clearly having a bit of a mini-strop, you were not rude or ill-mannered.

As you say, feedback & criticism is VERY important.

Hope you run good in 2014 & beyond.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : Thanks Mum. It was my personal view, of course, but it reflects life as a whole really. There are many who think that when these Promos come along, they should not have to put themselves out, make an effort, devote a little more time to playing poker. I had assumed, mistakenly it seems, that people would understand that when a Business runs a Promo, it does so, directly or indirectly - for a reason. To increase sales.  Boots the Chemist do a "3 for the price of 2" Promo on a lot of stuff. It's fairly obvious why they do it though. Me, I can't be bothered to buy more than I want, so I don't bother.  I think Boots Customer Care might be a little surprised if I rang & said "look here, I only want to buy one, but I want it at the cheaper price. It's an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!". It's my choice, & I can do whatever I want, I can take it or leave it, just as I can choose whether to try & win one of those PS4 toys by playing more hours on the site this month.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I seem to remember there was a lot of moaning on the forum about those rake races, but at the same time i,ve never seen the cash tables so busy and to break it up into the different tiers gave each group (low , medium and high stakes) a chance of competing in one. I even went out and bought a new monitor to handle more tables , ready for the next one but of course there hasn,t been any since
    Like most ppl i also liked the golden ticket promo even though i never won anything despite getting the max tickets
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Win a Playstation4 : I seem to remember there was a lot of moaning on the forum about those rake races, but at the same time i,ve never seen the cash tables so busy and to break it up into the different tiers gave each group (low , medium and high stakes) a chance of competing in one. I even went out and bought a new monitor to handle more tables , ready for the next one but of course there hasn,t been any since Like most ppl i also liked the golden ticket promo even though i never won anything despite getting the max tickets
    Posted by MP33

Yup, fair comment.

Most players here by now will have detected the pattern. Every month - every month - Sky Poker come up with a different range of Promos. None of them suit everybody, some of them suit some, a few of them suit everyone. Some are really good, some not so much.

Personally, I simply don't understand why that is so difficult to grasp.

• edited January 2014
    My email and text accounts are littered with promotions from Sky and their competitors.
    I can't, and wouldn't want to do the volume required to take part.
    So I delete and ignore them
    My only criticism would be:- current offers from competitors offer seats in the Irish Open and WSOP. Is a playstation 4 worth 24 hours a day effort?
  • edited January 2014
    My email and text accounts are littered with promotions from Sky and their competitors. I can't, and wouldn't want to do the volume required to take part. So I delete and ignore them My only criticism would be:- current offers from competitors offer seats in the Irish Open and WSOP. Is a playstation 4 worth 24 hours a day effort?
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    Hi Dunny,

To me & you? Nah, not in the slightest. To many people, yes.

Great, 'innit, this choice thing?

• edited January 2014

I think a fair way to do it and the best way would be to set a points target for everyone... So say the target was 1500 points and no matter what level you play at or for how much if you reach 1500 points you all go into a free role and X amount of PS4's are available to win!
    I think you would get a lot more people taking part in that because me and a lot of people on here are never going to finish anywhere is this leader board table so its pointless for me and others to even bothering to take part but if you gave me a set goal/target to try and reach id give it a good go...  

Last month I played a lot of poker and only got 1100 points playing 2/4p cash... and some of them points were in double point weeks. So like I say if you said the target was 1500 id give it a good go at reaching that target and play more poker but trying to play more to finish above people in a table is pointless.

I think its down to, and im not slagging Sky off because I love you guys xxx but I feel your not bothered about the little guys like me playing 2/4p... Its about getting the higher to play more poker!