You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please (with winner announced!)

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please!:
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please! : Cena your autocorrect changed what you meant to put to Bilbo ;)
    Posted by bromley04
    Auto correct is a aunt :(
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please! : Auto correct is a aunt :(
    Posted by cenachav
    looool wp.

Good to see the thread take a more positive/light hearted turn from you guys and Larson etc.

It's so sigh to see such a great promo cause a load of arguements. Whatever happens, it's been a great promo from Sky and created a lot of funny vids.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please! : looool wp. Good to see the thread take a more positive/light hearted turn from you guys and Larson etc. It's so sigh to see such a great promo cause a load of arguements. Whatever happens, it's been a great promo from Sky and created a lot of funny vids.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Big +1 from me.  Win or lose I will have a smile on my face and if I do lose, the next time I see the winner I will shake them warmly by the neck, I mean hand, and let them buy me a pint :)

Good luck to all and keep smiling.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please! : looool wp. Good to see the thread take a more positive/light hearted turn from you guys and Larson etc. It's so sigh to see such a great promo cause a load of arguements. Whatever happens, it's been a great promo from Sky and created a lot of funny vids.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm very sorry Lambert, this isn't a personal attack on you or anybody but I hardly think a promo that only has a handful of entrants, plus the fact it didn't really matter what the videos were because it is all boiling down to a popularity contest, can be defined as a "great promo"

I think the fact that there were only 5 entrants makes this whole promo a bit of a farce personally
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    From how I read the OP, feedback from the forum is just a factor in picking the winner.  Dunno why people are arguing over this!.

GL to the winner and be good to talk to you at the UKPC.  

Got a couple of personal favs but its close!

• edited January 2014
    Well done for putting the effort in to make these videos, they were all great. 

DoubleAAA get's my vote, i'd imagine it would have taken a lot of time to write and perfect that rap.

Good Luck to all the entrants xx
  • edited January 2014

I maybe mistaken but this seems to be about as straight as a nine bob note (an old saying of my father's)...

I actually thought it was a competition about the funniest vidoe but it seems that its a competition about how many people you can ask to come and vote for you...

So, if its purely on content then, in my humble opinion, I would put DoubleAA at the top however they were all worth seeing and well done to all.... May the best video win as oppesed to the person who has used his social networking ability to
    generate support..
  • edited January 2014
    Llama's entry is a superb effort and would be a worthy winner, however two things are putting me off making it my choice;

1. Iirc I saw the hilarious cat clip before Truth of Bluff was launched, if so the the stand-out moment is not something that was recorded for the purposes of the competition.

2. It would appear that being in what is by far the biggest forum team locks-up a shed-load of votes (pun intended).

Good luck to all five, I'm still on the fence, whoever gets it will be well deserving.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Truth or Bluff Competition - your input please! : I'm very sorry Lambert, this isn't a personal attack on you or anybody but I hardly think a promo that only has a handful of entrants, plus the fact it didn't really matter what the videos were because it is all boiling down to a popularity contest, can be defined as a "great promo" I think the fact that there were only 5 entrants makes this whole promo a bit of a farce personally
    Posted by waller02
    No offence but it's really baffling why people keep on mentioning the fact that there weren't a lot of entrants in this promo. You should have entered it yourself!

I'm a bit gutted I didn't bother submitting an entry but I'm not going to complain that the contest is a farce because I couldn't be bothered entering. 
  • edited January 2014
    From how I read the OP, feedback from the forum is just a factor in picking the winner.  Dunno why people are arguing over this!. GL to the winner and be good to talk to you at the UKPC.   Got a couple of personal favs but its close!
    Posted by scotty77
    Then add retweets and views along with one being posted long before the others and then you have 3 out of the 4 criteria listed totally based on popularity. Criteria should be based on quality of video only as that is what the competition is supposed to be about.

Quality of truth or bluff entry - check
    Number of views / retweets - popularity
    Reaction and feedback from other people on social media - popularity
    Feedback on the forum - popularity

• edited January 2014
    I cannot understand the praise for Llambos video. From the thread there are accusations of team votes etc - I don't know about this as I rarely use the forum. Llambos video however would of been a very quick do, has no relevance to the truth or bluff guidelines for a video, and has no creativity or humour. The fact that the most popular bit of the video has supposedly been filmed prior to the release of this competition also calls into question the integrity of the video and shows a lack of effort put in. I cannot see why sky would want to award a 1k seat to someone who woke up in their shed had some cheap breakfast and thinks he is a champ who deserves to win a seat - if this wins I would really question the decision making.

I think all the other videos are way ahead of LLambos, all have more effort put in, and are actually relevant. My vote goes to DoubleAAA for creative lyrics, a real truth, relevance to the guidelines, wearing a ridiculous outfit which makes him look like a complete idiot, and most importantly by far the most entertaining video.

• edited January 2014
    In the interest of balance and fairness, I'd like to point out a few things...

1) I don't think a single TPT vote hasn't been for DoubleAAA
    2) Cenachav is also in the same team as me
    3) I agree with the sentiment of it not just being a popularity contest, but applying that here relies on you making the assumption that my video is rubbish and has ONLY got votes based on having mates. I'm sure plenty of people do think mine is rubbish and that's perfectly fine, it's all a matter of opinion but that obviously isn't the case across the board because I've had plenty of votes from people I don't even know. I've even had my video/tweet favourited on Twitter by the one and only Neil Channing, I didn't message him or send anything to him, I don't even know how it came to his attention but I've never spoke to him in my life.

I'm not having a go at you DoubleAAA mate, it's not your fault, just for some reason seems to have been only people that voted for you that felt the need to attack me in the process. It's sad I feel like I have to come and defend myself here cos it's supposed to be just a fun promo (albeit for a big prize) and obv I didn't wanna come on like trying to sell my own vid but obviously I'd still like to win and I seem to be the only one people keep having a go at.

My video wasn't quick to do at all, and it was relevant, it was a 'truth or bluff' as to 'are these my living conditions' but was being over the top too as a joke.

Being popular shouldn't be a guarantee to win a comp like this, but nor should it instantly exclude you from winning on the basis that 'well he has loads of mates, so they probably voted for him based on that and not the quality of his entry'.
  • edited January 2014
    this place is dreary at times.

the most light-hearted, irreverent and creative comp sky has run for ages dredges up peeps who love having a pop. dunno why lambert gets all the stick, one of our own attempts to give full time poker a go gets a tonne of abuse.

all the entries obv took a lot of effort, and it takes more than a bit of nerve to put yourself out there.

i mean, who wants to have their brand of milk publically mocked?

not i, said the cat.

• edited January 2014
    GG WP
    7 pages and not 1 vote?!
    Shoulda done a rap or bought a cat ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Stick them all in a Sit n Go

Winner takes the seat

Simples !
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah, as Teddy said, it's a sad place someimes.

I don't think Lambert's video is the best one on offer either, but nor do I think he should be castigated for what he has presented, or publically flogged in a 'friendly' forum. It's hardly productive to jump onto a thread and slam someone for entering a contest. You don't like it? Fine. Vote for someone else, like I did. Shake your head and shrug when you read the votes going to him, but there's really no need to digitally slap the guy because of it.

To one degree or another a voting system is always a popularity contest. You will never escape that. Whether his video strictly adheres to the guidelines or not (as has been mentioned) is wholly irrelevant, because the people using the forum will quite simply, often, 'vote for their mates'. Do you think people in this country vote for the political party with the best policies? Yeah, sometimes they do, but a lot of the time it's for innocuous and superficial things such as: ' I like the way he speaks', or 'he dresses nice'.

For the record (and I have said it already) my vote would go to Cenachav as I think it was the funniest one there, although that probably has a lot to do with the fond memories of my teenage years that the WWF (now WWE) brings back.

Let's bring this back to what it is supposed to be about, folks.
  • edited January 2014
    Sigh

This has really gone too far now! The fact that lambert had to defend himself here is disgusting. He made a well thought out and well put together and clearly it was an entry that would have taken some time to put together. If people don't like it that's fair enough just don't vote for it making it personal is just pathetic. Anybody who did so should be ashamed of themselves.

Actually wish I'd voted for his now!!
  • edited January 2014

Seriously....... get a grip people!

You'll be telling me X-Factor is purely a singing contest next, wake up and smell the coffee!

The whole concept of the promotion was social media focussed, we live in a world where the power of social media platforms is frankly astonishing sometimes.  Paul certainly shouldn't be pilloried for making an effort to drum up support and maximise his chances of success, this in essence what the competition is all about, good luck to him!

PS.  as a long standing Team Mate and friend of Lambert180's and one of those that re-tweeted his entry, I STILL voted for DoubleAAA as it was my favourite video so let's not go overboard on the team thing hey?

• edited January 2014

What did you/sky expect to happen? :/

Very strange promo from Sky, as usual unclear on the rules throughout, plenty of time to come up with a good decision making system and more importantly communicate the rules properly with potential entrants.

People have asked for clarification multiple times, but didn't get any. Still unsure how the winner is actually going to be picked even now. Who's the judge/s?

No doubt that contributed to the lack of entrants.

Now a thread is put up which was inevitably going to turn out like this.

All they need to do now is use the sit n go idea and it'll be the worst run promo of all time :P (plz do not use this method of selection!)

I hope this thread is just a token gesture, and Sky will have picked their winner out before starting it.

--------------

I thought the videos were all going to be shown on 861 btw?

Why not show them all during a live show. Have the show theme ask for feedback on the videos, from a much wider audience than just forum users.

Give a prize for 3/4 people who post feedback, to take place in a random draw.

Then at the end of the show use a combination of the feedback and the presenter/analyst/guest input to announce a winner.

• edited January 2014

Come on guys, please don't fall out with each other on this. We hope to be announcing the winner later as per the OP on this thread and the promo page.

It will be a great prize for the winner and I'm sure we'll all get behind them and wish them the best in the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships!

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited January 2014

I dont know if I am missing the point but surely it is not just about quality of the video, it is a factor but there are other aspects to this and effort that goes into promoting your video needs to be considered too as this is part of why sky did the promo. If I understand correctly, Sky were aiming to use this as a marketing tool. Having lots of videos being retweeted/talked about would drum up interest in the UKPC and maybe even get some fun/banter on the forum. The number of entries has been extremely low and clearly the fun aspect has been lost on lots of people.

The promo was a good idea it just didn't get the runners Sky would have hoped for. Sky have come up with a couple of different promos lately and people just seem to moan about them. I would rather sky came up with some different ideas as opposed to just having rake races where the same couple of people win.

• edited January 2014
    I dont know if I am missing the point but surely it is not just about quality of the video, it is a factor but there are other aspects to this and effort that goes into promoting your video needs to be considered too as this is part of why sky did the promo. If I understand correctly, Sky were aiming to use this as a marketing tool. Having lots of videos being retweeted/talked about would drum up interest in the UKPC and maybe even get some fun/banter on the forum. The number of entries has been extremely low and clearly the fun aspect has been lost on lots of people. The promo was a good idea it just didn't get the runners Sky would have hoped for. Sky have come up with a couple of different promos lately and people just seem to moan about them. I would rather sky came up with some different ideas as opposed to just having rake races where the same couple of people win.
    Posted by MattBates
    Correct, it's all the things we put in the opening post.
  • edited January 2014

OK everyone, it's time to announce the winner...
  • edited January 2014

Big'up big'up to....

• edited January 2014
    Well done Ali G!

And very well done to to all who made vids.
  • edited January 2014

Please join us in congratulating DoubleAAA!

A big thank you to everone else who took part.
  • edited January 2014
    I dont know if I am missing the point but surely it is not just about quality of the video, it is a factor but there are other aspects to this and effort that goes into promoting your video needs to be considered too as this is part of why sky did the promo. If I understand correctly, Sky were aiming to use this as a marketing tool. Having lots of videos being retweeted/talked about would drum up interest in the UKPC and maybe even get some fun/banter on the forum. The number of entries has been extremely low and clearly the fun aspect has been lost on lots of people. The promo was a good idea it just didn't get the runners Sky would have hoped for. Sky have come up with a couple of different promos lately and people just seem to moan about them. I would rather sky came up with some different ideas as opposed to just having rake races where the same couple of people win.
    Posted by MattBates
    Are you the real Matt Bates?
  • edited January 2014
    Congratulations DoubleAAA