You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WOULD YOU DEAL?

edited January 2014 in Poker Chat
on another site just reluctantly agreed to a deal, guy in 2nd was pestering for deals from 7 players left when he was chip leader for some reason, is this a good deal and would you deal if you felt you had a slight edge on the other 2 players? cant help feeling the low stacks got to much payout but im clueless with icm. this is the first time iver ever done a deal so i could be barking up the wrong tree here.

blinds 15k/30k

me - chipstack - $1222,858 - offer - $1493

villain1 - chipstack - $956,303 - offer - $1401

villian2 - chipstack -  $497,149 - offer - $1224

Comments

• edited January 2014
    What is original payout?
  • edited January 2014
    If we are happy in effect flipping for the amount of money at stake and we feel we have an edge then you can argue you should play on or at least demand more $ than you were offered. Having been in the deal situation a few times and railed a few larger deals a phrase comes to mind, if you don't ask you don't get! I have seen some people get crazy deals through because of better negotiating shall we call it.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to WOULD YOU DEAL?:
    on another site just reluctantly agreed to a deal, guy in 2nd was pestering for deals from 7 players left when he was chip leader for some reason, is this a good deal and would you deal if you felt you had a slight edge on the other 2 players? cant help feeling the low stacks got to much payout but im clueless with icm. this is the first time iver ever done a deal so i could be barking up the wrong tree here. blinds 15k/30k me - chipstack - $1222,858 - offer - $1493 villain1 - chipstack - $956,303 - offer - $1401 villian2 - chipstack -  $497,149 - offer - $1224
    Posted by THEROCK573
    I am no ICM expert, but one of the players has  40% of your chipstack and has been paid 17-20% less than you? 

Doesnt seem like a good deal to me. I think if in doubt just play on. 
  • edited January 2014
    noooooooo way id deal in this situation
  • edited January 2014
    Terrible deal, 40bb is so deep 3 handed so if you think you have any edge then you should be coming off alot better in the long run. Also, numbers are very very skewed in favour of shortie
  • edited January 2014
    Nice cash young Rock. Bad deal tho if you feel you had an edge either play on or insist on a better deal before agreeing.
  • edited January 2014
    Sorry but that is such a bad deal. If I'm villain 2 then I'm ecstatic with that payout. Not sure what original payout was but I'm wanting a lot more than what 3rd gets and a bigger distance as well between me and 2nd. 

As said, if you don't ask you don't get. Start high and work down a little but what you need to do is get as close to original payout for first as possible while you ARE first!
  • edited January 2014
    The only way I'd take that deal is if I owed $1493 to a 1960s East London gangster and he was stood next to me mixing cement.

Really need to see the original payouts, especially what is the third place money, to give you a full answer.  That deep I don't see myself dealing unless I get offered a massively favourable deal.  Shorty needs to drop at least $300 imo.  I'm guessing he was the main mover and shaker in the deal phase?
  • edited January 2014
    first prize was $1799 2nd prize was around $1250 mark and 3rd prize was $980

yeah i started playing at 6 last night and it was 7.30 this morning so was tired and i was content with the $1499 really as it was only $300 short of first prize, looking back i wish i hadnt now though cos it does seem a terrible deal with the shorty getting so much, out of interest what sort of deal do you think is fair???
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL?:
    The only way I'd take that deal is if I owed $1493 to a 1960s East London gangster and he was stood next to me mixing cement. Really need to see the original payouts, especially what is the third place money, to give you a full answer.  That deep I don't see myself dealing unless I get offered a massively favourable deal.  Shorty needs to drop at least $300 imo.  I'm guessing he was the main mover and shaker in the deal phase?
    Posted by TommyD
    Concrete Tommy, concrete.

Mixing cement merely produces mixed cement, which is of no use to anyone, & is a waste of effort.

We get cement, aggregate, & water, & we mix concrete.

Please, I expect better of you.
  • edited January 2014
    Sorry but that is such a bad deal. If I'm villain 2 then I'm ecstatic with that payout. Not sure what original payout was but I'm wanting a lot more than what 3rd gets and a bigger distance as well between me and 2nd.  As said, if you don't ask you don't get. Start high and work down a little but what you need to do is get as close to original payout for first as possible while you ARE first!
    Posted by CraigSG1

ive never dealt in my life mate, any time if been on final tables on other sites nobodys ever wanted to deal and neither have i so this is my first experience in it, when the administrator came in and offered this deal i said no at first and the 2nd place said " WHAT THATS A GOOD DEAL MAN " i then just thought that if i didnt accept this deal then we had to play on, i didnt realise we could negotiate. i then just said ah fxxx it lets rap it up and agreed to deal. im totally fuming now as i feel conned by the 2nd place guy, dont no why but he was wanting to deal from when we had 7 players left and he had around 1 million chips.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Concrete Tommy, concrete. Mixing cement merely produces mixed cement, which is of no use to anyone, & is a waste of effort. We get cement, aggregate, & water, & we mix concrete . Please, I expect better of you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Why do they call those trucks and portable machines cement mixers rather than concrete mixers then?

You do realise I thoroughly regret asking that question, even now when I am yet to click the submit button.
  • edited January 2014
    I wont million!
  • edited January 2014
    first prize was $1799 2nd prize was around $1250 mark and 3rd prize was $980 yeah i started playing at 6 last night and it was 7.30 this morning so was tired and i was content with the $1499 really as it was only $300 short of first prize, looking back i wish i hadnt now though cos it does seem a terrible deal with the shorty getting so much, out of interest what sort of deal do you think is fair???
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Actually if you're completely cream crackered I'm not going to have a pop at you for dealing, I know what it's like when you just want something over.  Personally in your spot I am taking $1400 lowest.  I would put that in the chat box.  Let the other two squabble with the details.  Also in these deals if you have offered a decent to fair deal it is so important to tick to your guns, so often they are trying it on (remember they may be very tired or playing many many other games at the same time and as such want this done as much as you).  I remember railing once as a young scamp spent ten minutes not budging over a $50 bill out of thousands when I already thought he was offered a fair deal.  He got it.  I wonder where he is now.....

EDIT:  I mean $1700 lowest.  Need to drink more tea....
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : ive never dealt in my life mate, any time if been on final tables on other sites nobodys ever wanted to deal and neither have i so this is my first experience in it, when the administrator came in and offered this deal i said no at first and the 2nd place said " WHAT THATS A GOOD DEAL MAN " i then just thought that if i didnt accept this deal then we had to play on, i didnt realise we could negotiate. i then just said ah fxxx it lets rap it up and agreed to deal. im totally fuming now as i feel conned by the 2nd place guy, dont no why but he was wanting to deal from when we had 7 players left and he had around 1 million chips.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Well he would say that.....!

You've learned a valuable, if slightly expensive lesson, Deal-making is a delicate subject, but never never listen to those who are pleading for a deal. They only have their own interests at heart. Always.

I might just hold the record for most deals done on the Live Circuit back in the day, when I was playing Live 7 days a week. I can barely recall a single deal where some guy did not spit his dummy out & get all shouty-wouty. And some smart Alec ALWAYS said "it only takes one hand & you could lose everything"..... 

It got so predictably boring that eventually, when a Deal was Tabled, I'd just go outside & have a ciggie, I simply could not be bothered to debate the matter with people who assumed I was stupid, & sought to negotiate by shouting & bullying. Ultimately, it all evens out over time. Beware of greed in these spots though, greed is the downfall of so many in poker & gaming.

PS - well done on a terrific score, & don't allow this deal nonsense to mar your enjoyment of the moment. You had a terrific bink, now enjoy it.    

• edited January 2014
    I won't million!
    Posted by Tsaaaar
    Ha! That was the greatest ever ever ever.

i wont million

For those whooshed by it, type "i wont million" into google, & spend the rest of the day rofling.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Actually if you're completely cream crackered I'm not going to have a pop at you for dealing, I know what it's like when you just want something over.  Personally in your spot I am taking $1400 lowest.  I would put that in the chat box.  Let the other two squabble with the details.  Also in these deals if you have offered a decent to fair deal it is so important to tick to your guns, so often they are trying it on (remember they may be very tired or playing many many other games at the same time and as such want this done as much as you).  I remember railing once as a young scamp spent ten minutes not budging over a $50 bill out of thousands when I already thought he was offered a fair deal.  He got it.  I wonder where he is now.....
    Posted by TommyD
    but i got $1499 so thats more than $1400 so is not to bad of a deal then? it looks terrible the more i look at it, i cant belive ive accepted this, i just wish i had been in this situation before then i would have realised i could negotiate, the guy in 2nd new i had never done a deal before because i told him in chatbox so i think he took advantage of me here by pushing me to quickly accept, its also been months since i had a 4 figure score aswell so i think that played a part in me accepting the $1499.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Well he would say that.....! You've learned a valuable, if slightly expensive lesson, Deal-making is a delicate subject, but never never listen to those who are pleading for a deal. They only have their own interests at heart. Always. I might just hold the record for most deals done on the Live Circuit back in the day, when I was playing Live 7 days a week. I can barely recall a single deal where some guy did not spit his dummy out & get all shouty-wouty. And some smart Alec ALWAYS said "it only takes one hand & you could lose everything".....  It got so predictably boring that eventually, when a Deal was Tabled, I'd just go outside & have a ciggie, I simply could not be bothered to debate the matter with people who assumed I was stupid, & sought to negotiate by shouting & bullying. Ultimately, it all evens out over time. Beware of greed in these spots though, greed is the downfall of so many in poker & gaming.   PS - well done on a terrific score, & don't allow this deal nonsense to mar your enjoyment of the moment. You had a terrific bink, now enjoy it.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    yeah lesson definately learned, im going to find him later anyway and give him some abuse, wont help matters but will make me feel a little bit better!!!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : but i got $1499 so thats more than $1400 so is not to bad of a deal then? it looks terrible the more i look at it, i cant belive ive accepted this, i just wish i had been in this situation before then i would have realised i could negotiate, the guy in 2nd new i had never done a deal before because i told him in chatbox so i think he took advantage of me here by pushing me to quickly accept, its also been months since i had a 4 figure score aswell so i think that played a part in me accepting the $1499.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Sigh, typo.  Too early for me on a Monday, should no turn on PC.

I mean $1700 lowest.  Top prize was $1799 right?
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Why do they call those trucks and portable machines cement mixers rather than concrete mixers then? You do realise I thoroughly regret asking that question, even now when I am yet to click the submit button.
    Posted by TommyD
    Well now, as it happens, that is an absolutely fascinating subject, but it will take me several hours to construct a reply which gives that fascinating matter the reply it deserves.

However, here's a few bits of concrete trivia for you, both based on the Hoover Dam, which is, of course, a must visit on every trip to Las Vegas.

There are 3.25 million cubic yards of concrete in the Hoover Dam. That much concrete would build a monument 100 feet square and 2-1/2 miles high; would rise higher than the 1,250-foot-tall Empire State Building if placed on an ordinary city block; or would pave a standard highway 16 feet wide, from San Francisco to New York City. 

Incredible, eh?

Also, talking of mixing concrete, & gangsters, there were over 100 fatalaties during construction of the Dam, over a 13 year period. And - are you ready for this? - the last man to die was the son of the first man to die. Spooky stuff......

More concrete stories when time permits.  

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Sigh, typo.  Too early for me on a Monday, should no turn on PC. I mean $1700 lowest.  Top prize was $1799 right?
    Posted by TommyD
    yeah $1799, sigh what a fool ive been.
  • edited January 2014
    Don't let it bother you too much Rock and as TK said enjoy the result and take pride/pleasure in that you got through a large field and got to have the chance of dealing.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : yeah $1799, sigh what a fool ive been.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    You're not a fool.  You were tired and wanted it done.  It's all understandable.  We are just saying what we would do as asked.  It's all live and learn mate, and congrats on a fine performance and cash as well.
  • edited January 2014
    Don't let it bother you too much Rock and as TK said enjoy the result and take pride/pleasure in that you got through a large field and got to have the chance of dealing.
    Posted by Tsaaaar
    yeah cheers mate im going to try forget about it now and just learn from my error, this bink was also done with 11 cans of carling on board i mite add so i think i deserve a pat on the back for that alone, haha.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : You're not a fool.  You were tired and wanted it done.  It's all understandable.  We are just saying what we would do as asked.  It's all live and learn mate, and congrats on a fine performance and cash as well.
    Posted by TommyD
    cheers bud
  • edited January 2014

Tommy? Tommy? TOMMY?

Did you not see my reply?
  • edited January 2014
    Tommy? Tommy? TOMMY? Did you not see my reply?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes Tikay I did.  The factoid is so earth shattering I needed to take a while to come around.

Joking aside the stuff about the Hoover Dam is very interesting to me and I plan to visit it this year if and when I make it back to Vegas.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: WOULD YOU DEAL? : Yes Tikay I did.  The factoid is so earth shattering I needed to take a while to come around. Joking aside the stuff about the Hoover Dam is very interesting to me and I plan to visit it this year if and when I make it back to Vegas.
    Posted by TommyD
    You must.

Meanwhile, if you can get the "PBS America" Channel (PBS = Public Broadcasting Service) on Sky, it is in the Documentaries section, they are currently running a lot of Hoover Dam documentaries, & they are excellent. 

They also did a Brooklyn Bridge docu last night - one of the best TV Shows I've ever seen. 

It's probably a million to one shot, but if you & I find ourselves in Vegas this year, we'll do the Hoover Dam together one day. It is about a 45 minute drive from Vegas, but I could tell you lots of concrete stories on the way.

• edited January 2014
    Can you do deals in Sky tournies?
  • edited January 2014

Here's my way of thinking, an example...

Player A has 50,000 chips, B has 30,000 chips and C has 20,000.  (Total 100,000 chips)
    Prize funds are 1st place is £5,000, 2nd is £3,000 and 3rd is £2,000.  (Total £10,000)

No matter what everyone will get at least £2,000.  Therefore three are playing for a split of £4,000.  The ratios of the current chipstacks are 5:3:2.  Therefore the remaining funds are split in the same way and added to the £2,000 guaranteed minimum.

Player A £4,000, player B, £3,200 and player C £2,800.

Is this fair?