You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

donky alert!

should be fun this :-)

Comments

• edited January 2014

ludo is a far better game.

• edited January 2014
    Why is he a donkey for jamming AK over your four-bet? If that isn't standard play, it's pretty close.
  • edited January 2014
    hi everyone, just a quick question, earlier i was playing on a cash game 10p 20p stakes sitting with £20 and somone came and sat down and begin to raise EVERY hand and just 3 bet everytime you raised, i ended up picking up QQ so i 4 bet pre and it was no shock they jammed, i snapped and they had AK and hit a K 

this always seems to be the case why do donkeys always get paid?
    i would like to hear your thoughts or advice on how you would deal with someone like this without standing?

I AM NOT SAYING THIS GUY IS A DONKY BECAUSE OF THE AK QQ HAND JUST THE FACT HE WANTS TO GET IT IN EVERY HAND REGARDLES OF HIS HAND!
  • edited January 2014
    lol   u lost a flip deal with it
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert!:
    Why is he a donkey for jamming AK over your four-bet? If that isn't standard play, it's pretty close.
    Posted by Slipwater
    because he was raising EVERY HAND he just seem to have the goods at the right time 
  • edited January 2014
    lol   u lost a flip deal with it
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    read the rest of the post...im talking about how youdeal with these players i obvs know he never did anything wrong with the AK

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert! : because he was raising EVERY HAND he just seem to have the goods at the right time 
    Posted by hahagutted
    If you only caught him with AK - and he was doing it with junk every other hand - that's just unlucky, but it hardly makes him a traditional poker donkey just because he raises. Raising is what poker players do.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert! : If you only caught him with AK - and he was doing it with junk every other hand - that's just unlucky, but it hardly makes him a traditional poker donkey just because he raises. Raising is what poker players do.
    Posted by Slipwater
    omg this is so fustrating to get accross he was playing bingo not poker i caught him out about 3 times before he was showing 57 off n 82 and things like that raising or 3 betting with them EVERY...single hand he was far from a poker player, if you think there is nothing wrong with his game then good luck in your poker career 
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert! : omg this is so fustrating to get accross he was playing bingo not poker i caught him out about 3 times before he was showing 57 off n 82 and things like that raising or 3 betting with them EVERY...single hand he was far from a poker player, if you think there is nothing wrong with his game then good luck in your poker career 
    Posted by hahagutted
     my point is when i eventually pick up a real hand against an obvios DONKEY he picks up AK wich is unlucky 
  • edited January 2014

Did he admit to being a shill under questioning??

If not probably a bot

• edited January 2014
    I don't get your question then - he raises a lot but the time you get a good hand to play back at him he also has a hand. and?!

it's a little unlucky for you (and him) that you both have big hands but just because he's a maniac doesn't mean he cant pick up good hands.

Just read that back and it sounds a bit abrupt - it isn't meant to so please don't take it the wrong way.
  • edited January 2014
    I don't get your question then - he raises a lot but the time you get a good hand to play back at him he also has a hand. and?! it's a little unlucky for you (and him) that you both have big hands but just because he's a maniac doesn't mean he cant pick up good hands. Just read that back and it sounds a bit abrupt - it isn't meant to so please don't take it the wrong way.
    Posted by jdsallstar
     my question is how do you deal with a person that is not playing poker, just raising every hand and 3 betting every raise regardles of there hand thers maniacs in poker then there is idiots. is it best to waite for a hand then get it in like i did or just leave the table and go play on anouther, i guess you had to be on the table to know what i mean every other player was saying the same on the table that he was just somone gambling trying to get it in every hand then got really lucky when i actually picked up a hand 
  • edited January 2014
    Did he admit to being a shill under questioning?? If not probably a bot
    Posted by ff55hh
    sorry dont know what this means
  • edited January 2014
    1. Play with a tighter opening range.

3. Value bet more.

3. If possible move to his left.

4. Don't compromise your own capital because you're desperate to get paid.
  • edited January 2014
    Simple answer is nothing much you can do (apart from leave the table) It might be the way he plays or that some people like a gamble...  and to be to be honest I have no problem with these guys and you shouldn't really. If a guy is re raising your big hands its happy days... and even more happy days if he's doing it with rubbish cards :)
    You were just unlucky the time you had QQ he actually had a hand...

Saying all that I can be a bit of a hypocrite because I hate calling stations... A guy can shove all in vs me pre flop with any two card and win and I wont mind but if he calls me down with rags and hits I fume haha I seem to be able to deal with all in opponents better than calling stations...

End of the day you want to play your big hands vs both... you just need to remember its cards and anything can happen (which is hard) :-)

• edited January 2014
    Suppose it's just a case of waiting for the right spots and making a stand at some stage! I'm not very good lol but I'd open up my 3 bet calling range and I'd 4 bet him more (with the right hands). If you don't want to get into a battle with him then just wait for big hands that crush his range (like you did).

Maniacs are tough to play against and you might have to allow yourself to get bluffed a few times to wait for the right spot but in long run it should be easier to get paid off.

Like Clinton said I prefer playing aggressive people than stations and just have to be prepared when you do get your stack in against them they can and will get lucky.
  • edited January 2014
    Leave the table is pretty poor advice with the greatest of respect. 
    Reload and go again. Think the expression is "burning money" if you were to leave.

You've put yourself across very poorly in this thread.  I'm rather pleased you did lose the hand if you and the others on the table were abusing him. 

It also shows a distinct lack of poker intelligence on your part.
  • edited January 2014
    If this guy is a donkey and playing bad poker, surely it should be REAL easy to take money off him? If you don't actually know how to play against his style then maybe he's not the one that's a donkey - he's just exploiting the fact that everyone at the table doesn't have a clue how to play against him.

Try playing like that yourself and see how annoying it is for the rest of the table...
  • edited January 2014
    I think it good advice with the greatest respect... You cant control how people play so if you don't like it leave the table.
  • edited January 2014
    Leave the table is pretty poor advice with the greatest of respect.  Reload and go again. Think the expression is "burning money" if you were to leave. You've put yourself across very poorly in this thread.  I'm rather pleased you did lose the hand if you and the others on the table were abusing him.  It also shows a distinct lack of poker intelligence on your part.
    Posted by Jac35
    who said anything about abuse??? dont comment if your going to make a massive deal about it all i asked is advise for playing against bingo players 
  • edited January 2014
    I think it good advice with the greatest respect... You cant control how people play so if you don't like it leave the table.
    Posted by ClintonH83
    Sorry Clinton. That came across quite rudely.

Misunderstood your point. Definitely leave if we don't know how to cope with this player.
    Generally though, I do think over time we should do well in these situations. If we have the patience we should be happy to get it in with this guy.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert! : who said anything about abuse??? dont comment if your going to make a massive deal about it all i asked is advise for playing against bingo players 
    Posted by hahagutted
    "Idiot""donky" "maniac" "bingo players" and apparently all the table agreed.

You've posted these comments on an open forum after having had time to cool down.
    Now forgive me for being a little sceptical but I doubt you and the other players said "ooh, you got a little luck there old chap, nice hand" when the hand just finished.
  • edited January 2014
    Simple answer is nothing much you can do (apart from leave the table) It might be the way he plays or that some people like a gamble...  and to be to be honest I have no problem with these guys and you shouldn't really. If a guy is re raising your big hands its happy days... and even more happy days if he's doing it with rubbish cards :) You were just unlucky the time you had QQ he actually had a hand... Saying all that I can be a bit of a hypocrite because I hate calling stations... A guy can shove all in vs me pre flop with any two card and win and I wont mind but if he calls me down with rags and hits I fume haha I seem to be able to deal with all in opponents better than calling stations... End of the day you want to play your big hands vs both... you just need to remember its cards and anything can happen (which is hard) :-)
    Posted by ClintonH83
    thanks, for that its nice that someone can acctually try and give some advice not tell me im wrong and im a donkey meself when the only reason they are doin that is becasue they have no advice themselfs
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: donky alert! : "Idiot""donky" "maniac" "bingo players" and apparently all the table agreed. You've posted these comments on an open forum after having had time to cool down. Now forgive me for being a little sceptical but I doubt you and the other players said "ooh, you got a little luck there old chap, nice hand" when the hand just finished.
    Posted by Jac35
    no but i never abused him at the table, and i wouldent class these words as abuse 
  • edited January 2014
    just been reading through anouther similar post and the community on here all seem to be the same all talk the talk but never give any real answers, im goin back on stars anyway less donkeys there 
  • edited January 2014
    it was the way you asked the question - just looked like your were complaining about losing a flip or something.

If you'd posted "how do you play maniacs" you would have got better responses.
  • edited January 2014
    "why do donkeys always get paid"

The term donkey is (certainly in poker) a pejorative term, so your opening post wasn't a simple question. It was - in essence - an attack on another player you didn't know how to handle.
  • edited January 2014
    just been reading through anouther similar post and the community on here all seem to be the same all talk the talk but never give any real answers, im goin back on stars anyway less donkeys there 
    Posted by hahagutted
    So, you`re returning to a site with a better standard of player and make loads of cash??

Brilliant strategy there fella.....

Think you`ve made a bit of an @ss of yourself with this thread,

Gl against Ivey and the boys.
  • edited January 2014
    1. Play with a tighter opening range. 3. Value bet more. 3. If possible move to his left. 4. Don't compromise your own capital because you're desperate to get paid.
    Posted by ff55hh

Hi haha,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... a few things tho:

--  You did get a helpful comment. see the above. essentially against nutters, you need to open tighter, and call 3bets lighter. your hands will also increase in strength relative to their strength against a "normal" opponent. so, for example, you might choose to value bet 2nd pair on the river, rather than check it back, or call a bet on the river with A high. If he really does 3bet every hand, then you should probably only play hands you are happy to 4bet or call a 3bet with. all of the above is alot easier when you are in position.

--  never comment on other peoples play whilst at the table. There are soooo many reasons...this is why you have alot of slightly hostile replies. so...reasons you shouldn't comment on other peoples play:

1) you will offend people. Do you really want to only play against good players?? if you make other worse p[layers feel negatively about playing with you, or on the site, they will stop...and you will be left playing better players than you with even less chance of winning.

2) you may alert someone to a mistake they are playing. So not only are you offending poeple, you are giving them a free lesson on poker, again making the game tougher to beat

3) you look like a t.wat to all the other players on the table. Even if they say nothing, they are all wishing you would shut up.

4) who are you to comment on how people should be playing. its their money, they can do what they want to with it.

just so you know, fish, bingo player etc etc are offensive. Of course they are...would you like to be called a fish at the table? or have your p;lay disected by the other people at the table whilst they all agree how bad it was? regardless whether you would care or not, the guy you were talking about could have been new to the game and just wanted to have a bit of fun whilst he lost his £200 a month. Your unpleasent comments could scare him away from poker forever. so that would be £200 less a month the winning players will benefit from.

This is one of the things being blamed for the decline in new players playing the game, and the decline of the game in general.

dont be a part of it, and discourage others from it too

• edited January 2014
    This "donkey" wasn't me, was he? lol

In all honesty, though, if your opponent was playing lots of hands - raising, 3-betting or 4-betting - the only thing that dictates whether he was a poor player or not is whether he was getting away with it. If he kept being caught out and was losing a ton of money, yet still didn't change his ways, clearly he wasn't very good. On the other hand, if you and the other players were letting him get away with it and he was making money out of you, then he was probably playing very well.

The fact he had shown down 82, 75 or whatever is neither here nor there. If he had adapted to his opposition better than they had to him, then he would have been the stronger player. Hand strength is frequently irrelevant in poker.

As he only got all his money in with a premium hand, it would suggest he was actually exploiting his image. In other words, you believed he was a donkey because you didn't understand what he was doing.

Your description is hardly a complete one, so it may just be that he was clueless about how he was playing. The limited information you've given would suggest otherwise, though.