You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do!

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic

Scenario:

Bounty Hunter MTT, 6 max, all players have 2000 chips, blinds are 20/40, hero is UTG with QdQh

Hero raises to 140, gets 4 callers (quite common in BHs) {size of PF raise is for another discussion). BB folds.

740 in pot, hero's stack is 1860

Flop is Qs5d7d

This is the question. What is the correct amount to bet here?

Checking and potentially giving a free card is horrible. So a bet is a must. But how much?

We're immensely strong, and have redraws to a boat. But we also know that some of these players will have 68, 46 or any two diamonds (or maybe even chasing bounties with 34, 89 etc). These are the kind of hands that BH players love to see flops with and as there are four of them, at least one, maybe two of them must be drawing.

So how much to bet?

a) If we shove, we're losing value with our top set. They will/should all fold. That can't be right. It's also a scared play.

b) If we bet ¾ pot, the villains are looking at a 1240 pot with their flush/straight draw with only 485 to add in, so a call is almost mandatory.

c) Suppose we bet 1,000 of our 1,860 stack. The pot is now 1,740 and any straight or flush draws do not theoretically have the odds to draw (though they often will! Many BH players can never lay down a flush draw), so 1,000 seems the 'correct' bet. But this overbet doesn't really exist - there is really no difference between this bet and the shove as we're never folding our set to someone coming over the top. Basically, we're losing value, just as if we'd shoved.

So what is the correct thing to do? I genuinely don't know!

Comments

• edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do!:
    Shove
    Posted by seppe
    Shove 1860 into a 740 pot with top set?
    Maybe that's the answer (I don't know, hence the question!) but it just doesn't feel right. We hit top set and play scared, extracting no value. Doesn't feel right.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Shove 1860 into a 740 pot with top set? Maybe that's the answer (I don't know, hence the question!) but it just doesn't feel right. We hit top set and play scared, extracting no value. Doesn't feel right.
    Posted by BigBluster
    sorry didnt read it properly, i thought some1 had bet 740 lol.

as he was the aggressor pre hes got to continue his story & bet aound 500/550
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : sorry didnt read it properly, i thought some1 had bet 740 lol. as he was the aggressor pre hes got to continue his story & bet aound 500/550
    Posted by seppe
    Thanks for the response and on many levels your advice makes sense. But by betting 500/550 then surely youre' giving all the draws the odds to hit? 

• edited January 2014
    deffo not shoving or over betting. I'd go about 500-550. No way you can give loose players such a narrow range of just hands with decent equity. Could just as easy be against, AJo, T8hh, A3o and KTo or a million other combos that are in awful shape

if they can have any two diamonds, then they have any two hearts/spades/clubs 3x as often
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Thanks for the response and on many levels your advice makes sense. But by betting 500/550 then surely youre' giving all the draws the odds to hit? 
    Posted by BigBluster
    over betting with such a strong hand would be really bad, you dont want folds here.
  • edited January 2014
    Fwiw, if we bet 550, they gotta call 550 to win 1290, so they need about 42% equity. There are VERY few hands (in fact, none that I can think of) that have a 42% of catching us on the next card. Even 68dd, the strongest possible hand we don't wanna see has 8 diamonds + 8 straight outs, and even that doesn't actually have the right price to call and outdraw us.
  • edited January 2014
    Bet about 425/50 and give someone the opportunity to go over the top.
  • edited January 2014
    Fwiw, if we bet 550, they gotta call 550 to win 1290, so they need about 42% equity. There are VERY few hands (in fact, none that I can think of) that have a 42% of catching us on the next card. Even 68dd, the strongest possible hand we don't wanna see has 8 diamonds + 8 straight outs, and even that doesn't actually have the right price to call and outdraw us.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sorry mate, but your sums are incorrect  They need to call 550 to take down 1840 (1290+550) so statistically the decision is clear with any str8 or flush draw. If there are any implied odds then the play is unequivocal. 
    Gosh, I hate to be critical. But I can't see any bet that doesn't have flaws!

{6d8d is actually even money against us. We can't get them off}.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Sorry mate, but your sums are incorrect  They need to call 550 to take down 1840 (1290+550) so statistically the decision is clear with any str8 or flush draw. If there are any implied odds then the play is unequivocal.  Gosh, I hate to be critical. But I can't see any bet that doesn't have flaws! {6d8d is actually even money against us. We can't get them off}.
    Posted by BigBluster

You have added the 550 call into the pot which it isn't (yet). Lambert s sums are correct.
    When the pot is this big, strong draws are often going to get it in anyway. We are more interested in getting a bet from weak draws or 1 pair hands, so would be more than happy betting just over 400.

• edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : You have added the 550 call into the pot which it isn't (yet). Lambert s sums are correct. When the pot is this big, strong draws are often going to get it in anyway. We are more interested in getting a bet from weak draws or 1 pair hands, so would be more than happy betting just over 400.
    Posted by jakally
    To get the equity needed to call in % you do need to add the call to the pot, as that is the pot you will be scooping.
    C/P+C = E

C = amount needed to call

P =  current size of pot

E = equity needed to break even on call

We cant price draws out as even if we shove each call lays a much better price for the next man to act.

We dont want to price everyone out, nor with four to act can we. Bet pot, charge each man a healthy price and jam blank turns. We are equally as likely to boat up as anyone is to hit their draw. Overbetting the pot wouldnt be bad either. Reckon we'd be priced in on the turn even if a diamond hits, so meh.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : To get the equity needed to call in % you do need to add the call to the pot, as that is the pot you will be scooping. C/P+C = E C = amount needed to call P =  current size of pot E = equity needed to break even on call We cant price draws out as even if we shove each call lays a much better price for the next man to act. We dont want to price everyone out, nor with four to act can we. Bet pot, charge each man a healthy price and jam blank turns. We are equally as likely to boat up as anyone is to hit their draw. Overbetting the pot wouldnt be bad either. Reckon we'd be priced in on the turn even if a diamond hits, so meh.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Is this right?! I was always told we don't add our call to the pot when calculating equity.

I.e. preflop pot  740
          Flop bet      500
          Total Pot    1240

Cost for us to call 500

Therefore we need 40% equity (500/1240)

If we use your formula it's 500/1740 = 28%.

Actually I'm 99% certain we don't include our call when calculating equity needed otherwise we're giving ourselves odds to win our own money.  I'm happy to be corrected though.

• edited January 2014
    Fwiw, if we bet 550, they gotta call 550 to win 1290
    Posted by Lambert180

Yeah, I'm a stupid.
    I was agreeing with this bit and skim read the rest. 

More to the point, it's pretty important not to get obsessed with 'pricing out draws'. (Although we obviously don't want to be making stupid small bets in multi-way pots). 
    In this spot, with the pot big in relation to stacks, people are going with sets, two pairs, King high/ace high flush draws, straight flush draws, up and down straight draws  etc..., and there are no prizes for getting a bet size that results in players getting their stacks in with these. 
    Open jamming the flop, and getting called by middle set doesn't make it a good bet sizing.
    The problem is, more often that not, noone is going to have any of these hands.

We want to get people calling, or raising, with 1 pair, gutshots etc..., and to be choosing bet sizes that get some value from these. 

• edited January 2014
    So nobody is gonna check/raise then?

I bet nothing. The flop isn't that scary. Decent draws, lower sets or somebody holding the other queen will start the betting for you and make it much easier to get stacks in.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Is this right?! I was always told we don't add our call to the pot when calculating equity. I.e. preflop pot  740       Flop bet       500       Total Pot    1240 Cost for us to call 500 Therefore we need 40% equity (500/1240) If we use your formula it's 500/1740 = 28%. Actually I'm 99% certain we don't include our call when calculating equity needed otherwise we're giving ourselves odds to win our own money.  I'm happy to be corrected though.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    You do need to take the final size of the pot.

It is 28% to hit the next card.

A flush will hit on the next card about 20% of the time.

If the 500 bet was allin then it would require a 28% chance of hitting turn or river, which is a great price for any reasonable draw.

But yah, costof call divided by pot after you call = odds laid in %

Note when bluffing you can use the same formula to work out how often your bluff needs to work.

Bluff size divided by size of pot after you bet = how often bluff needs to work in %

• edited January 2014
    So nobody is gonna check/raise then? I bet nothing. The flop isn't that scary. Decent draws or lower sets will start the betting for you and make it much easier to get stacks in.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Too much chance of it getting check through for me and I don't like check/raising in general when we're the preflop aggressor.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : You do need to take the final size of the pot. It is 28% to hit the next card. A flush will hit on the next card about 20% of the time. If the 500 bet was allin then it would require a 28% chance of hitting turn or river, which is a great price for any reasonable draw. But yah, costof call divided by pot after you call = odds laid in % Note when bluffing you can use the same formula to work out how often your bluff needs to work. Bluff size divided by size of pot after you bet = how often bluff needs to work in %
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I stand corrected. I calculate pot odds/equity using ratio's but never realised %'s were done different. Now I think about it, it makes perfect sense lol.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Too much chance of it getting check through for me and I don't like check/raising in general when we're the preflop aggressor.
    Posted by Lambert180
    It may have some merit... Gd players will recognise that were never gonna be leading into 4 players on this board without the goods here. As it's a bounty hunter when we c/r all in here were gonna get looked up by any flush draw/any Queen.

I think on balance betting is slightly better but c/ring isn't bad imo.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : Sorry mate, but your sums are incorrect  They need to call 550 to take down 1840 (1290+550) so statistically the decision is clear with any str8 or flush draw. If there are any implied odds then the play is unequivocal.  Gosh, I hate to be critical. But I can't see any bet that doesn't have flaws! {6d8d is actually even money against us. We can't get them off}.
    Posted by BigBluster
    They are only 1/1 if it goes to showdown on the flop.....ie seeing 2 more cards. We're talking about odds to hit draw on turn only no?
  • edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : I saw :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    too douchy and too wrong.

If it's a 50% pot bet opponent will only need 25% equity to break even as hes getting 3/1. IF it's a pot bet opponant will only need 33% equity to break even as hes getting 2/1. So betting 550 into 1290 he'll be getting odds of 5/2 so he need approx 29% equity to break even.

Odds of hitting a straight draw or flush on turn are approx 20% so a  60-70% bet looks good here.

Thats better, with the help of dueces cracked poster.
  • edited January 2014
    For this it really depends on how you read the table.  If you have an aggressive so and so on the button who will take checking as a sign of weakness then I don't mind checking here.  If it gets through, re assess, readless, bet 450-500 as everyone else is suggesting and jam most turns
  • edited January 2014
    meh I posted a long reply and deleted it because I thought I was wrong about the pot odds bit (bit stupid really cause rest of post was fine) but now I'm not sure again!! I don't get why you don't add your call to the pot size? If a pot is 750 and someone bets 500 you are calling 500 to win a total pot of 1750. I don't see why you would ignore your bet and only include what's currently in the pot. Can't think about it now busy playing but will have a look later to see if anyone's posted anything helpful explaining that!
  • edited January 2014
    you 100% do include your bet to get the equity in %

if the pot is 200 and the bet 100 then you can use a ratio and say the pot is laying 2 to 1.

that is the same as saying 100/[100+200] =

33% equity.

people have conflated the two ideas
  • edited January 2014
    meh I posted a long reply and deleted it because I thought I was wrong about the pot odds bit (bit stupid really cause rest of post was fine) but now I'm not sure again!! I don't get why you don't add your call to the pot size? If a pot is 750 and someone bets 500 you are calling 500 to win a total pot of 1750. I don't see why you would ignore your bet and only include what's currently in the pot. Can't think about it now busy playing but will have a look later to see if anyone's posted anything helpful explaining that!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    We are not calling 500 to win 1750. We are investing 500 to win 1290. The confusion starts because players are confusing pot odds we are getting to the equity needed to break even on the call.

So 550/1290=42 are actually pot odds( approx get 2.5 42's into 100) so pot odds are approx 5/2.

To Calculate our equity we add on the amount to call +pot then divide amount to call with so 550/1740=28%.

I read your post before it wasdeleted and it was pretty solid. I made the same mistake as others.

Also knowing what equity we need to break even on our bet to what equity we need when calling is slighty different.

IE if we bet 100 into a 200 pot than we need 33% equity to break even on the bet( not counting our opponants call) but facing a call of 100 in a 300 pot we only need 25% equity as we are getting 3/1 pot odds so how we calculate equity need to break even on a bet to to equity to break even on a call must be different. So some of what i say above must be wrong somehow.
  • edited January 2014
    Seriously levelling myself i think...So bad at maths :(
  • edited January 2014
    you 100% do include your bet to get the equity in % if the pot is 200 and the bet 100 then you can use a ratio and say the pot is laying 2 to 1. that is the same as saying 100/[100+200] = 33% equity. people have conflated the two ideas
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    OK this is flawed somehow because surely we have to count our opponants call in the equation if we are working out equity needed to break even on our bet.

we bet 100 into 200=300 pot ,than we must add on another 100 =400 so its 25% equity is our break even point in the hand if we bet 100 into a 200 pot.

To get 33% we would need to bet 200 into 200=400 + Opponants call =600/200=33%
  • edited January 2014
    you 100% do include your bet to get the equity in % if the pot is 200 and the bet 100 then you can use a ratio and say the pot is laying 2 to 1. that is the same as saying 100/[100+200] = 33% equity. people have conflated the two ideas
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    OK. This calculation is flawed because you're not including opponants call. This threw me a little as i was getting different results when calc equity needed to break even on a bet than to break even on a call.

If we bet 100 into 200 we have to include another 100 (opponants call) . 100/400=25%. So betting 100 into 200 we need 25% equity to break even on our bet.

On flip side facing a call of 100 in a 300 pot will be 100/400=25% is the break even point in equity needed.

So whatever equity needed when we make a bet to break even on a bet, is the same equity needed for out opponant to break even on his call.

Calulating equity needed when calling a bet will be dividing amount needed to call by P+C so 1290+550=1740
    550/1740=31%

By 1290/550 is actually working out what pot odds we have ie 1290/550=2.34/1 and not our equity need to break even.

With help of Dueces Cracked poster.