You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do!

2»

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do!:
    you 100% do include your bet to get the equity in % if the pot is 200 and the bet 100 then you can use a ratio and say the pot is laying 2 to 1. that is the same as saying 100/[100+200] = 33% equity. people have conflated the two ideas
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Another bit to add is that if we are pure bluffing and need our opponent to fold, than thats a different story
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : OK. This calculation is flawed because you're not including opponants call. This threw me a little as i was getting different results when calc equity needed to break even on a bet than to break even on a call. If we bet 100 into 200 we have to include another 100 (opponants call) . 100/400=25%. So betting 100 into 200 we need 25% equity to break even on our bet. On flip side facing a call of 100 in a 300 pot will be 100/400=25% is the break even point in equity needed. So whatever equity needed when we make a bet to break even on a bet, is the same equity needed for out opponant to break even on his call. Calulating equity needed when calling a bet will be dividing amount needed to call by P+C so 1290+550=1740 550/1740=31% By 1290/550 is actually working out what pot odds we have ie 1290/550=2.34/1 and not our equity need to break even. With help of Dueces Cracked poster.
    Posted by mugsy78
    sorry i meant to say "you absolutely do need to include your CALL"

not "bet". brainfart moment sorry.

to calculate the equity of a bet you need to combine fold equity with actual pot equity when called.

fold equity + pot equity = EV of bet

one formula we can use:

EV of bet = [Fe x Pi] + [1-Fe]x[Pe x Pii - I]

Fe = % of opponents range that will fold to bet

Pi = the pot before bet

[1-Fe] just gives us his calling range in %

Pe = our equity v villains calling range

Pii = pot we will win

I = investment

------

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: A bounty hunter scenario. No idea what to do! : sorry i meant to say "you absolutely do need to include your CALL" not "bet". brainfart moment sorry. to calculate the equity of a bet you need to combine fold equity with actual pot equity when called. fold equity + pot equity = EV of bet one formula we can use: EV of bet = [Fe x Pi] + [1-Fe]x[Pe x Pii - I] Fe = % of opponents range that will fold to bet Pi = the pot before bet [1-Fe] just gives us his calling range in % Pe = our equity v villains calling range Pii = pot we will win I = investment ------
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Good stuff Teddy, i had a brain f art earlier in the thread hence the "lol" post.

But you inadvertantly highlighted how to work out if its going to be profitable to bluff if we have 0% equity in a hand.

If we bet 100 into 200 we need our opponent to fold more than 33% of the time for our pure bluff to be profitable. 100+200=300  100/300=33%

Been a good thread though, stimulated my little brain ;0
  • edited January 2014
    Very interesting discussion and thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. The responses rode the range from a check (with a view to check-raising all-in) to a shove!

The consensus seemed to be to bet about 550 (thereby giving players the odds to call to a straight or flush) and get it in on a safe turn. But are we ever going to fold an 'unsafe' turn?

• edited February 2014
    We are forgetting implied odds if two or more go with the 550 bet. We lose if a flush or a str8 hits without us improving. Shove and take the easy money rather than risk loosing all of it. With two or more callers the odds of a nasty outcome will get greater and greater.