You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker veterans...

2»

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans...:
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans... : I must be imagining things then, I remember you although I seem to remember you were more of a guest on PNL than a regular presenter. I was sure Hartigan used to be on poker night live with a guy called Nick who has appeared on sky a few times. He giggles like a school girl. There used to be a guy called axeman but that is going back some. 
    Posted by salazar

Nick Wetherall ?

Heard he got the chop.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans... : I must be imagining things then, I remember you although I seem to remember you were more of a guest on PNL than a regular presenter. I was sure Hartigan used to be on poker night live with a guy called Nick who has appeared on sky a few times. He giggles like a school girl. There used to be a guy called axeman but that is going back some. 
    Posted by salazar
    I don't believe James H was on PNL.

I was with them 2 years, but they dropped me after I asked permission of PNL to attend an interview with Sky Poker, & they said they'd drop me from the roster if I did, the old "gun to the head".  I did. So they dropped me.

I was at Sky Poker, first as a Consultant for 4 months, & then as a TV Analyst, too, when suddenly, PNL invited me back to their Show, so I sought permission from Sky Poker, who gave it, & so I accepted. I did the PNL Show a few weeks later. PNL closed down the very next day. 

Nick is Nick Wealthall. He worked at Sky Poker TV for a year or so, most famously in one particular Show with Helen "Hells Bells" Chamberlain, which many regular viewers will remember for Nick making certain adjustments. 

Axeman is Greg Winters. He left PNL after a bit of a furore over his views on Female Presenters, he held the view they were not suitable on a Poker Channel. PNL's female Poker Presenters were Kara Scott & Michelle Orpe, both of whom later joined Sky Poker. Kara is still doing her thing elsewhere, & very successfully too, Michelle is a Mum now, but still does occasional TV gigs, most recently for DTD.     

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans... : Nick Wetherall ? Heard he got the chop.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Beautifully phrased, most subtle.

A good while later, he left Sky Poker & went to work for PokerStars, where he remained until about a year ago.

• edited February 2014
    Just researched and my first game on here was 10/07/2008 - don't think that's anywhere near to veteran status LOL!
  • edited February 2014
    Late 2007 for.. Used to play "the open" everynight.. Used to be a live show everynight and the main event was £11.. Sky come a long way since then tho imo.. Cashed in my 1st spt in swansea.. Wernt alot tho as the buyins wrre only 50 then!!
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans... : Was that the bootcamp one? I went to that as a journo!
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Possibly. If I remember correctly there were lessons going on in the afternoon by the experts at the time followed by an MTT in the late afternoon/evening. I remember being at a lesson table with Jason Barrasford and flopping a nut flush!
  • edited February 2014
    22 feb 2008,almost six years,crikey
  • edited February 2014
    i have been here since june 2007
  • edited February 2014
    What happened to that old fella? You know, TJ or something. Used to bang on about trains...
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker veterans... : I don't believe James H was on PNL. I was with them 2 years, but they dropped me after I asked permission of PNL to attend an interview with Sky Poker, & they said they'd drop me from the roster if I did, the old "gun to the head".  I did. So they dropped me. I was at Sky Poker, first as a Consultant for 4 months, & then as a TV Analyst, too, when suddenly, PNL invited me back to their Show, so I sought permission from Sky Poker, who gave it, & so I accepted. I did the PNL Show a few weeks later. PNL closed down the very next day.  Nick is Nick Wealthall. He worked at Sky Poker TV for a year or so, most famously in one particular Show with Helen "Hells Bells" Chamberlain, which many regular viewers will remember for Nick making certain adjustments.  Axeman is Greg Winters. He left PNL after a bit of a furore over his views on Female Presenters, he held the view they were not suitable on a Poker Channel. PNL's female Poker Presenters were Kara Scott & Michelle Orpe, both of whom later joined Sky Poker. Kara is still doing her thing elsewhere, & very successfully too, Michelle is a Mum now, but still does occasional TV gigs, most recently for DTD.       
    Posted by Tikay10

I remember it well. Used to enjoy the mentoring thingy you and Paul Jackson did when you would turn up at someone's house and watch them play an MTT. Bet it was a pain for you 2 tho, esp if they ran deep lol.
  • edited February 2014
    have just bumped an old thread with start date in it. January 2007
    Posted by achill
    just read thread and my post could be a bit misleading.

skypoker started 31st January 2007

I joined 6th july 2009.
  • edited February 2014
    The play was very different in those days. Some of the players I played with in the early days are now playing at the highest stakes on the site. I even remember when Redmond Lee started playing on the site - he was not very good to be honest (too aggressive), but now he is amongst the best cash players in the country! No-one is happy when Redmond sits down at the table, but back then no-one feared him at all.

When I first started playing on the site I played £10 SnGs and cleaned up. Nowadays, £10 SnGs are chock full of semi-pros and the margins are very thin. I wouldn't play £10 sngs now.

Also, in the early days there was no controlled aggression. Players tended to be either timid or crazy so solid ABC play could beat them. ABC play nowadays would struggle to break even.

I could go on, but the game has evolved so much that it is almost unrecognisable now from what it was.

• edited February 2014
    i remember the days of the open when it was over by midnight with hale or pace presenting.

this was my 1st site i played on and my 1st poker games. 
    i got very lucky early on winning velocity which back in the day was very good value for a £5 with 300 plus runners daily

i think i signed up in 2008 and used to play on the t.v.

i to was at bristol bootcamp.

cheers sky poker