You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this

edited February 2014 in The Poker Clinic
robert369 Small blind   150.00 150.00 9760.00
Omen69 Big blind   300.00 450.00 8700.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

timbobingo Fold        
x Raise   900.00 1350.00 5122.50
BANKIT Fold        
craigcu12 Call   900.00 2250.00 8375.00
robert369 Fold        
Omen69 Fold        
Flop

• J

x Bet   1125.00 3375.00 3997.50
craigcu12 Fold

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Effective stack is only 20bb. Pretty hand. In position. I would be tempted to peel as well. Though it's probably just a fold pre, not really playing deep enough to make it worthwhile.

Type of hand where we typically win a small pot or lose a large one.
  • edited February 2014
    I just composed a long and complicated mathematical reply examining ranges, stack sizes, c-bets, 2nd barrels and so on. Unfortunately; it took me so long to work it all out that my login expired and my post disappeared into the ether!

To summarise: playing it as you did (which is exactly the same way I would have played it) is a mathematically incorrect play. It typically loses 225 chips.

I'm surprised at this as the play feels right.

• edited February 2014
    Agree with Harryffyrytert, with these stack sizes it's just a fold pre imo (as much as it sucks). 
  • edited February 2014
    Unless the villain is uber-tight this is never a fold. You're only in trouble against AK, AQ, and pairs QQ+, that's just 3.77% of all hands.

If we give the villain even a fairly tight range, say all pairs 55+, ATo+, A8s+, KQ, KJ, QJ  you have a massive 46% equity preflop.

A 3-bet shove is probably better than a call against aggresive opponents who are going to put you under pressure post-flop. 

Another option, if you've got the balls for it, and your image isn't that of a maniac, is to flat call pre-flop then shove over the c-bet on any non-ace flop, hit or miss. A big part of his range will be forced to fold including ace-high hands and small/mid pairs that would have called a pre-flop shove and are still ahead now, you'll still have outs against most holdings if called.
  • edited February 2014
    That's the prob tho Gary, we have that equity against his opening range but not even close to that against his range if he calls our shove imo.

I'd be much more inclined to peel pre if he had minraised but think we've got too little room to move postflop V a 3x. Even his half pot cbet here leaves him barely a PSB left and we'll probably struggle to get him off nearly any pair/draw
  • edited February 2014
    If villain has been opening wide then you can exploit his 3x sizing by jamming. Id say KQs is plenty good enough.
  • edited February 2014
    looks a much more sexual hand than it is, id ship it or bin it.
  • edited February 2014

i had only just moved onto this table so i didn't know enough about him and his 3betting, so going my standard thinking it
    seem to be like wasting chips doing it with QJ and KJ as he would be in big trouble vs most of the jams and if he folds then he has wasted 3bb.

• edited February 2014
    Shoving would seem bad.

The effective stack when the action comes to us pre-flop is not 20BB, it's 30BB. We still have two players yet to act that have us covered. So our shove would be a 30BB shove which, when called, has us in all kinds of problems. Anyway, as Lambert has said, when we shove 20BB and are called we're probably in trouble with KQ. I don't see how we can shove profitably unless we think we're either going to be called really light or get folds an absolutely huge proportion of the time.

This is why we need some information on our opponent.

We can call pre-flop if we think villain's 3x range in EP is relatively light and he's going to stack off light post-flop. So we need our one-pair hands to be good a high proportion of the time. KQ is a pretty strong one-pair making hand. Alternatively, if he's just going to play face-up post-flop and check-fold lots, even as the pre-flop aggressor, then we can call.

With no reads, it's probably best to assign a nitty range for the 3x in early position from 20BB. That would lead to a bit of an annoying fold. However, if we've been at the table with this player for even a couple of orbits, we should have some idea of his range.
  • edited February 2014
    this was his second hand on this table so it was impossible for me to know him.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this:
    Unless the villain is uber-tight this is never a fold. You're only in trouble against AK, AQ, and pairs QQ+, that's just 3.77% of all hands. If we give the villain even a fairly tight range, say all pairs 55+, ATo+, A8s+, KQ, KJ, QJ  you have a massive 46% equity preflop. 
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I disagree. Your percentages are clearly correct if running hands hot and cold, but we're not doing that: we're playing poker.
    If we assume that 100% of the time the villain will c-bet and also that we will fold if we miss (I think these are quite reasonable assumptions), then we're not looking good against many hands at all. 2/3rds the time we miss the flop and fold. As the raiser was in front of us you could easily put him on a hand that dominates us, so of the 1/3rd that we hit we could still lose our entire stack.
    As mentioned above, I did the sums and this is actually a -EV play. I'm amazed at this because our hand is so strong and I would never fold here.

{This all assumes that we call - maybe a strong re-raise would be better. I suspect that a shove would be -EV but haven't done the sums}.

• edited February 2014
    If KQs isn't a hand with jamming potential I don't know what is.

Are you guys advocating we blind out while waiting for JJ+ or AK only? Waiting for premiums when shallow is not the way to win MTTs.

My prefered play here is to flat call, then shove on 100% of non-ace flops, hit or miss. I expect enough folds (and enough equity when called) to make this a profitable play.

We will win on ace-high flops sometimes too. For example the villain may to too scared to fire at say an AJ2 flop if he holds pairs 33-TT.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this:
    If KQs isn't a hand with jamming potential I don't know what is. Are you guys advocating we blind out while waiting for JJ+ or AK only? Waiting for premiums when shallow is not the way to win MTTs. My prefered play here is to flat call, then shove on 100% of non-ace flops, hit or miss. I expect enough folds (and enough equity when called) to make this a profitable play. We will win on ace-high flops sometimes too. For example the villain may to too scared to fire at say an AJ2 flop if he holds pairs 33-TT.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Agree with flatting.

Shoving 100% of non A high flops just cannot be profitable. Your shoving here on a 7h8h9h board?
  • edited February 2014
    That's the prob tho Gary, we have that equity against his opening range but not even close to that against his range if he calls our shove imo. Posted by Lambert180
    You don't have to be ahead or flipping against the villains raise/calling range to make the shove profitable.

To simplify the maths I've assumed 20BB effective stacks exactly. I'm gonna give the villain the same opening range as above and a fairly tight raise/calling range of TT+, AK, AQs, KQs. That puts 79 possible raise/folding combos in his range, 42 raise/calling combos (both with KQcc removed).

We shove 20BB with 4.5BB in the pot.

79/121 or 65.3% of the time our shove gets a fold and makes 4.5BB profit.

42/121 or 34.7% of the time we are called.

Our KQs has 45.18% equity against the villains calling range.

When called there is 41.5BB in the pot, our 45.18% equity is worth 18.75BB , so our called shove loses 1.25BB on average.

(65.3% x 4.5BB) + (34.7% x -1.25BB) = +2.5BB

So using the ranges above a shove shows a 2.5 big blinds profit. Folding shows zero profit.

Shoving and winning also sets us up to make a run at winning this thing. Nobody ever wins a tournament by folding. You can't go on a heater when you fold. In tournaments he who dares wins (disclaimer; he who dares wins in the long run, though not every time).

Tinkering with the calling range won't make much difference; if you make it tighter we have less equity when called, though that is balanced by the fact that we get more folds too.

Very occasionally one of the blinds will wake up with a calling hand, though this won't happen nearly enough to make a significant dent in our +2.5BB average profit.
  • edited February 2014
    If KQs isn't a hand with jamming potential I don't know what is. Are you guys advocating we blind out while waiting for JJ+ or AK only? Waiting for premiums when shallow is not the way to win MTTs. My prefered play here is to flat call, then shove on 100% of non-ace flops, hit or miss. I expect enough folds (and enough equity when called) to make this a profitable play. We will win on ace-high flops sometimes too. For example the villain may to too scared to fire at say an AJ2 flop if he holds pairs 33-TT.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    We have 30bb, hardly a case of blinding out.

Really not convinced by shoving any none A high flops. If the board fell AJ2 and they check their 33-1010 hands to us, why on earth would we need to shove? A standard bet in position will often just do the trick and take the pot. 

Might end up value owning yourself as a decent villain should/will query why you would just jam an ace, and it's unlikely you ship a bare J.

Could just be trying to level us all I suppose ;)
  • edited February 2014
    Posted by GaryQQQ

it's not that we wanting to wait for premiums and Ak or AQ before doing anything, what makes this appear to be such a big risk is the opening bet he choose to use preflop when he was UTG+1 and if someone does a shove i'm sure he will want to call now that he has did a raise of 3xBB.

if he is 3xBB preflop UTG+2 he knows their is still 2 that could call who would be in position so again if he is going to raise preflop and the flop were to come AJx if he is then going to check with 22-1010 then the last thing he wants to be doing is raising 3xBB because a raise that size and he is sure to either get 77+ AJ+ or KQs.
  • edited February 2014
    KQs looks nice, but in this situation it's no better than 45s, maybe even worse.
    What I mean is, if you play the hand, you have to treat it as any other suited connector, you are playing for a straight or flush, since when you hit a K high flop or Q high flop, the only action your'e likely to get is from AK/AQ or better.

With these stack sizes, you are better off folding. Being in position is of little significance when you don't have the chips to make moves.
    If you flop an open ended straight or flush draw, and your opponent pots it, you cannot fold.
    Now you either have to shove with potentially 40% equity, or flat for 1/3 of your stack (in total) and face calling all in at the turn with 20% equity. (Assuming you miss).

And those are the scenarios IF you even flop a big draw.
    I like playing suited connectors, but at this stage in the tourney, it has to be a fold.

Also, the way your opponent played it suggests he has JJ/QQ/KK/AA. His bet sizing shows he is willing to get it in, but doesn't want to scare to off.
  • edited February 2014
    His bet sizing shows he is willing to get it in, but doesn't want to scare to off.
    Posted by iFeesh
    I disagree, I consider a 3x open from a 20BB stack a scared bet that doesn't want to have see a flop. I think his range could arguably be capped to exclude AA, KK, QQ, AK.
  • edited February 2014
    Really not convinced by shoving any none A high flops. If the board fell AJ2 and they check their 33-1010 hands to us, why on earth would we need to shove?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    AJ2 is not a non-ace flop!
  • edited February 2014
    Who posted words to the effect of 'surely you wouldn't jam on a Th9h8h flop' then deleted it?

Yes, I 100% would. My hand strength is irrelevant to my decision to shove on any non-ace flop, I'm only thinking of the villains hand-strenth. That flop is 10x more likely to be super-scary to the villain than it is to help him.

Nobody was putting JQ, TJ, T9, 98, 76 or similar in his 3x opening range. Can he call there with AK, or any other ace-high hand without a heart?
  • edited February 2014
    You're kinda losing me Gary. So you shove any none ace board? And if it comes a AJ2 type board and its checked to you, you just jam? 

Is there any poker to be played in amongst all this or..... ;)
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this : I disagree, I consider a 3x open from a 20BB stack a scared bet that doesn't want to have see a flop. I think his range could arguably be capped to exclude AA, KK, QQ, AK.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    if the reasoning for the 3xBB is that he is scared of seeing the flop then he might as well just do a shove right away because the sort of cards that i'm expecting him to be scared of are the same cards from hands that will do the shove preflop basically AK-AJ and pairs 99-AA.

To me it sounds like middle and low pairs are what you putting him on here, so if someone does then do a shove preflop he would have wasted 3BBs worth of chips.
  • edited February 2014
    With these stack sizes, you are better off folding. 
    Posted by iFeesh
    No way! KQs and 30 BBs - no way is it a fold. Our hand is just too good.
    The problem is that a flat is a -EV play and I suspect a shove is as well (30 BB is too deep for a shove IMO though not done the sums).

I think the best play is a strong re-raise to maybe 10BB with the intention of folding to a shove. It's unlikely we'll be called (name a single hand that can call us!) so the villain must either fold or come over the top. Either way we don't actually care.

• edited February 2014
    here are two KQ's which didn't get the sucess they wanted
    when i look at this hand i'm probably thinking myself that J10 is a hand with greater winning potential than KQ.
    EDDIE1883 Small blind   50.00 50.00 5562.50
    craigcu12 Big blind   100.00 150.00 1365.00
      Your hole cards
    • J

anglerfish Raise   300.00 450.00 2325.00
    paul428 Fold        
    SoLack Fold        
    Bobatron Call   300.00 750.00 6980.00
    EDDIE1883 Fold        
    craigcu12 All-in   1365.00 2115.00 0.00
    anglerfish Call   1165.00 3280.00 1160.00
    Bobatron All-in   6980.00 10260.00 0.00
    anglerfish All-in   1160.00 11420.00 0.00
    Bobatron Unmatched bet   4655.00 6765.00 4655.00
    craigcu12 Show
    • J

anglerfish Show
    • A
    • A

Bobatron Show
    • Q
    • K

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

craigcu12 Win Straight to the Queen 4445.00   4445.00
    anglerfish Win Pair of Aces 2320.00   2320.00
    i might have lost this one but lucky for me he called with the Ax that i wanted him to hold A2-A10 i'm thinking is going to fold most days as their is atleast 4 more  dominant aces and it was UTG
    jack100 Small blind   1000.00 1000.00 14027.75
    clausewitz Big blind   2000.00 3000.00 30314.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

craigcu12 All-in   19480.00 22480.00 0.00
    OldemH Fold        
    Mikeycb Fold        
    Dave4981 All-in   18292.00 40772.00 0.00
    jack100 Fold        
    clausewitz Fold        
    craigcu12 Unmatched bet   1188.00 39584.00 1188.00
    craigcu12 Show
    • K
    • Q

Dave4981 Show
    • J
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

Dave4981 Win Flush to the Ace 39584.00   39584.00
  • edited February 2014
    here are two KQ's which didn't get the sucess they wanted when i look at this hand i'm probably thinking myself that J10 is a hand with greater winning potential than KQ. 
    Posted by craigcu12
    One of the biggest myths in HE and long may the less experienced player believe it!
    For years many of the 'old boys' (those who grew up playing poker at the kitchen table) believed that TJs was the best hand in poker (TJ always makes the nut straight, by the way). It is a very good hand when extremely deep, but shallow I'd take queen deuce over it any day!

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this : No way! KQs and 30 BBs - no way is it a fold. Our hand is just too good. The problem is that a flat is a -EV play and I suspect a shove is as well (30 BB is too deep for a shove IMO though not done the sums). I think the best play is a strong re-raise to maybe 10BB with the intention of folding to a shove. It's unlikely we'll be called (name a single hand that can call us!) so the villain must either fold or come over the top. Either way we don't actually care.
    Posted by BigBluster
    If we raise to 10bb, then we have to call the shove. 3betting to 10bb to then fold to a 20bb shove is not a viable option IMO.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this : One of the biggest myths in HE and long may the less experienced player believe it! For years many of the 'old boys' (those who grew up playing poker at the kitchen table) believed that TJs was the best hand in poker (TJ always makes the nut straight, by the way). It is a very good hand when extremely deep, but shallow I'd take queen deuce over it any day!
    Posted by BigBluster
    KQ might look a stronger hand than J10 but the thing with J10 is the equtity post flop is much better as the flops that you want to make the dominant hands fold are them which have J or 10.

Knowing that if KQ were reraised preflop the hands we are wanting to call are going to fold instead we will be up against the more dominant kicker or a few flips vs 77-JJ so we would be best off making the call.

It's on the flop that things go in favour of J10 rather than KQ

if the flop comes K high or Q high the J10 can escape without much trouble at all but with KQ we have hit our pair so will make the call but what we won't want to do is jam as that will remove the worst hands leaving us beat most days.

A much better flop would be a flop that was J high because if he's holding AK and AQ we might be able to push him off them both by doing a shove and maybe the smaller pairs will fold too all we are expecting is AA KK QQ AJ and sets but again this is where J10 has got the advantage over KQ.
    with KQ their is big problems as AA and KK mean KQ needs runner runner, QQ will mean that it only has 3 Ks that will be of any help, the only hand that does not give it mayhem is AJ.
    with J10 things are totally differant as that can do a shove on the flop to protect from the over cards and as long as the hand is not a set then were are certain to still have outs on the turn.

as for flops 9 high well they are only just in favour of KQ because JJ is definately going to need runner runner if he is facing over pairs except 1010 where as KQ is safe against all but KK and AA
  • edited February 2014

Mucking a hand as powerful as KQs pre-flop to a single action at any stack depth (when readless) is not the way to win poker tournaments. Those advocating a pre-flop fold are too nitty for their own good.

• edited February 2014
    Who posted words to the effect of 'surely you wouldn't jam on a Th9h8h flop' then deleted it? Yes, I 100% would. My hand strength is irrelevant to my decision to shove on any non-ace flop, I'm only thinking of the villains hand-strenth. That flop is 10x more likely to be super-scary to the villain than it is to help him. Nobody was putting JQ, TJ, T9, 98, 76 or similar in his 3x opening range. Can he call there with AK, or any other ace-high hand without a heart?
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    I did and the post is still there.

Villain's range for even c-betting a 8h9h10h is gonna be heavily weighted towards overpairs/big flush draws. Jamming a flop like this with so little equity is not going to be even close to profitable imo.

Fwiw I agree that we should flat preflop.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: 30BB am i better off to just wait for a hand with jamming potential than call 3xBB with this : I did and the post is still there. Villain's range for even c-betting a 8h9h10h is gonna be heavily weighted towards overpairs/big flush draws. Jamming a flop like this with so little equity is not going to be even close to profitable imo. Fwiw I agree that we should flat preflop.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Sorry, I couldn't see it when I posted, I can see it now.

If we flat call pre-flop there is 7.5BB in the pot. Let's say the villain c-bets 4BB, there is now 11BB in the pot.

Such a co-ordinated flop is highly unlikely, however how often will the villain hold a hand which justifies calling off the rest his stack for his tournament life on such a scary flop? Can he call with AK/AQ without Ah? Can he call with any pair 77 or below? Can he call with the same hand as us?

We're shoving 9BB to win 11BB, so we need to get the shove through less than 50% of the time to show an immediate profit, and that's without factoring in the equity we have when called.  

The 3 hearts on the board that means 58% of the time the villain will have no heart in his hand at all. The chance of him holding a made flush is only 2.5%.