You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
After a week of abysmal cash sessions and an ability to win a race (has felt a bit like running against Usain Bolt himself), I am left with £22.61 in my bankroll...

So low level dym's here I come - I shall keep a record of my progress on this thread for anyone remotely interested

Comments

• edited December 2009
    GL. Keep us posted
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge:
    After a week of abysmal cash sessions and an ability to win a race (has felt a bit like running against Usain Bolt himself), I am left with £22.61 in my bankroll... So low level dym's here I come - I shall keep a record of my progress on this thread for anyone remotely interested
    Posted by darich
    Best of luck mate, try to play as many free to enter comps too, to subsidise things. I am up to 3 figure roll from zero now, but GOT TO 100% always stick to BRM rules.

GO GET IT DONE!
  • edited December 2009
    First dym cashed

£25.31
  • edited December 2009
    gl darrich, sure you'll be back up in no time!
  • edited December 2009
    bubbled

£23.06

ty guys
  • edited December 2009
    gl m8 - wouldnt have happened if u were an orfordian ;)

seriously though - best wishes
  • edited December 2009

1 loss, 1 cash £22.46

15p down for the afternoon lol 

• edited December 2009
    My advice start playing 60p DYM's get up to £28.75 then move on to £1.15, if you can keep a record of your results on something like excel.
  • edited December 2009
    good luck da rich
  • edited December 2009
    Good luck darich, I probs would do the 60p SNG,s for a while as well.
  • edited December 2009
    All this advice about 60p DYM is a terrible idea, dont listen to it,i talk from experience,the way to go is the 2p/4p cash tables, these 60p DYM tables have a 20% rake attached,and with a low bankroll you dont have the funds to support a 20% givaway each time,even the mentors in TP are only taking 10% lol put £4 or £5 down on the low cash tables and build your bank roll up, and do not go up a level until you have £100 and then only to the 4p/8p tables. Grimstar30 gives a very valuable piece of advice too, use the freeroll tournies as well such as super6 etc
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

With Christmas money and my Birthday this Tuesday, in theory I could deposit, but I'm determined to stay disciplined and grind - I'll try a few sit n gos and low limit cash and see what happens - i'll keep a record and let you know how it's going.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. With Christmas money and my Birthday this Tuesday, in theory I could deposit, but I'm determined to stay disciplined and grind - I'll try a few sit n gos and low limit cash and see what happens - i'll keep a record and let you know how it's going.
    Posted by darich
    Don't go near the cash tables! Play DYM SnGs but move up from 60p to 1.15 asap and then up from 1.15 ASAP. The higher the stake the lower the rake. Be prepared for the good run and the bad run. I've had 15 successive cashes on low stakes DYM but also had 5 successive luckouts (always ul when fail to cash!!).
  • edited December 2009

2 hours on 2p 4p tables - £7.22 profit

£29.68 

• edited December 2009
    2 hours on 2p 4p tables - £7.22 profit £29.68 
    Posted by darich
    i told you, now keep off those 60p DYM's they no good, well done and keep it up
  • edited December 2009
    GL mate got the same   BR as me near enough,  always seem to go up and down though.  I get to a certain level playing DYM then seem to get so high then  lose consentration, start googling while playing etc.... then drop down, when I get too low I consentrate again and build it up.  Going to stop that this year tho.  
    Was playing 5% now going to go 2-3%.  Also went to  cash games but tried changing too much of my game I think.

How much would you sit down with at a 2/4p table (6 seater) with £30?  Alot has been said about 100BB and enough for  10 reloads  .... should you have at least £40 before playing cash or can you be abit more flexible in the lower stakes?
  • edited December 2009
    GL mate got the same   BR as me near enough,  always seem to go up and down though.  I get to a certain level playing DYM then seem to get so high then  lose consentration, start googling while playing etc.... then drop down, when I get too low I consentrate again and build it up.  Going to stop that this year tho.   Was playing 5% now going to go 2-3%.  Also went to  cash games but tried changing too much of my game I think. How much would you sit down with at a 2/4p table (6 seater) with £30?  Alot has been said about 100BB and enough for  10 reloads  .... should you have at least £40 before playing cash or can you be abit more flexible in the lower stakes?
    Posted by POTTSY82
    the maximum allowed is £10
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge : the maximum allowed is £10
    Posted by loonytoons
    Sorry loony,  what I meant was if you have £30 bankroll,  how much would you sit down with?  100BB£4?  or maybe £3 tohave 10 buy ins
  • edited December 2009

Definately Pottsy! If I only had 4 quid in my bankroll id sit down at 2p/4p with the lot. Cant really expect to have a long term poker future with a fiver. And there are no lower levels on here.

£40 is easily enough.

U don't need to change ur game too much from a tourny game, especially at this level. Doing the basics well will work for you. Treat every hand like its at the first blind level in a tourny, strong cards, strong bets, raises and re raises, no need to get too cute, your big hands will get paid off!

Also I find that making speculative calls at this level, playing hands like king 8 suited, queen 7 suited.Normally id avoid these hands at higher levels, and definately never limp with them, but at this level u can often get in pots very cheap. If a pot is raised pre - respect the raise, don't re raise pre unless ur strong, the guys rarely raise but love to call.

Basically its value town, n anything above 5 or 6 buy ins u shud be pretty comfortable. 

Ill advise any 'good' lower stakes poker players to look more into the cash games - I rekon ud make alot more money alot quicker than playing small buy in tournys.

GL, DOHH

• edited December 2009
    Definately Pottsy! If I only had 4 quid in my bankroll id sit down at 2p/4p with the lot. Cant really expect to have a long term poker future with a fiver. And there are no lower levels on here. £40 is easily enough. U don't need to change ur game too much from a tourny game, especially at this level. Doing the basics well will work for you. Treat every hand like its at the first blind level in a tourny, strong cards, strong bets, raises and re raises, no need to get too cute, your big hands will get paid off! Also I find that making speculative calls at this level, playing hands like king 8 suited, queen 7 suited.Normally id avoid these hands at higher levels, and definately never limp with them, but at this level u can often get in pots very cheap. If a pot is raised pre - respect the raise, don't re raise pre unless ur strong, the guys rarely raise but love to call. Basically its value town, n anything above 5 or 6 buy ins u shud be pretty comfortable.  Ill advise any 'good' lower stakes poker players to look more into the cash games - I rekon ud make alot more money alot quicker than playing small buy in tournys. GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I came on this site through a freeroll, won £45 and got up to £300 then through stupidity lost the lot at sky bet lol. All i had left was enough poker points to get me the £5 you talk about at the end of the month as a bonus. I waited 2 weeks for my poker bonus, went on lower staked cash 2p/4p and im now back up to £300 +, so you can have a future with a fiver lol, but ive learnt my lesson, good bankroll management and dont do skybet/skyvegus etc
  • edited December 2009
    Definately Pottsy! If I only had 4 quid in my bankroll id sit down at 2p/4p with the lot. Cant really expect to have a long term poker future with a fiver. And there are no lower levels on here. £40 is easily enough. U don't need to change ur game too much from a tourny game, especially at this level. Doing the basics well will work for you. Treat every hand like its at the first blind level in a tourny, strong cards, strong bets, raises and re raises, no need to get too cute, your big hands will get paid off! Also I find that making speculative calls at this level, playing hands like king 8 suited, queen 7 suited.Normally id avoid these hands at higher levels, and definately never limp with them, but at this level u can often get in pots very cheap. If a pot is raised pre - respect the raise, don't re raise pre unless ur strong, the guys rarely raise but love to call. Basically its value town, n anything above 5 or 6 buy ins u shud be pretty comfortable.  Ill advise any 'good' lower stakes poker players to look more into the cash games - I rekon ud make alot more money alot quicker than playing small buy in tournys. GL, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Okay mate say for instance

Table 1 :   £1.50 £1.80 £5.70 £1.10 £2
    Table 2 :   £9  £1 £6  £2 £4
    Table 3 :   £3 £7 £2.70 £0.50 £ 2.50

Would you be sitting down  with the same in each game?
  • edited December 2009

POTTSY, whichever game I chose to play, Im always gonna sit down with the most that the table will allow!  Or AT LEAST make sure Im the chip leader at the table!

When I played 2p / 4p the max was 4 quid I think, Im not sure now, but Id always buy in for 4 quid if it wud let me. If I bought in for 2 quid and get dealt aces first hand and come up against kings, id be gutted I didnt buy in for £4!

And Loony - Wd for getting blood out of a stone, makin money from nothing, Im not saying it can't be done, just that u shouldnt EXPECT it to happen......

Can't pin all ya hopes long term on it happening.

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge : I came on this site through a freeroll, won £45 and got up to £300 then through stupidity lost the lot at sky bet lol. All i had left was enough poker points to get me the £5 you talk about at the end of the month as a bonus. I waited 2 weeks for my poker bonus, went on lower staked cash 2p/4p and im now back up to £300 +, so you can have a future with a fiver lol, but ive learnt my lesson, good bankroll management and dont do skybet/skyvegus etc
    Posted by loonytoons
    very important mate, used to play the £5 and £10 S+Gs frequently putting £25 in my account every week not thinking anything of it, before I read up about Banckroll management...  Should have a programme on here dedicated to it.  I used to play the 60p games "for a laugh" while waiting for players to join the bigger games.
    Losing is the best way to learn sometimes though, try to win and learn now ;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge : very important mate, used to play the £5 and £10 S+Gs frequently putting £25 in my account every week not thinking anything of it, before I read up about Banckroll management...  Should have a programme on here dedicated to it.  I used to play the 60p games "for a laugh" while waiting for players to join the bigger games. Losing is the best way to learn sometimes though, try to win and learn now ;)
    Posted by POTTSY82
    correct i have 300 odd in my account and the most i play is a fiver occasionally, but mostly keep to £2 or if i want to enter bigger tourneys go through sats, that way if i lose it doesnt really affect my account, not scared money if you know what i mean, seems to work for me
  • edited December 2009
    POTTSY, whichever game I chose to play, Im always gonna sit down with the most that the table will allow!  Or AT LEAST make sure Im the chip leader at the table! When I played 2p / 4p the max was 4 quid I think, Im not sure now, but Id always buy in for 4 quid if it wud let me. If I bought in for 2 quid and get dealt aces first hand and come up against kings, id be gutted I didnt buy in for £4! And Loony - Wd for getting blood out of a stone, makin money from nothing, Im not saying it can't be done, just that u shouldnt EXPECT it to happen...... Can't pin all ya hopes long term on it happening. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge : I came on this site through a freeroll, won £45 and got up to £300 then through stupidity lost the lot at sky bet lol. All i had left was enough poker points to get me the £5 you talk about at the end of the month as a bonus. I waited 2 weeks for my poker bonus, went on lower staked cash 2p/4p and im now back up to £300 +, so you can have a future with a fiver lol, but ive learnt my lesson, good bankroll management and dont do skybet/skyvegus etc
    Posted by loonytoons
    same here... many a time i have built my br from a fiver to £50++ then lost it all betting on the footie on the weekend argh

:)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Self-Inflicted Bankroll Challenge : same here... many a time i have built my br from a fiver to £50++ then lost it all betting on the footie on the weekend argh :)
    Posted by daz231023
    end of day 1 £28.53
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    Oh don't worry - I intend to bore people to death on this thread lol

I'm so fed up of reading posts about sites being rigged etc that I'm trying to prove a positive point here and make no apologies to anyone for that