You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show.......

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

....with, at some stages, FIVE people in the Studio, all nice & squidged up on the sofa!

The line up is.....

Presenter - Sean Boyce

Guests - Neil Channing, David Ord, Michael Shinners.

Poker Bloke - me.

Why 5?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    #sigh cross-selling night
  • edited March 2014

Well....

7pm - 8pm - Boycey & myself, doing Master Cash Coverage.

8pm - 10pm - Boycey, David, Michael, & Lord Grumpy (Channing) doing a Cheltenham Festival Betting Preview. Lots of interviews with Trainers, Stable Visit footage, & talking galore. I'll stick to updates from the Sky Sports Bounty Hunter probably.

10pm - 11pm (including Sky Sports Simulcast) - Top of the Pots, with Boycey, Lord Grumps, & me.

11pm - Midnight, (including Sky Sports Simulcast), Sky Sports Bounty Hunter coverage, Boycey, Grumps, & me.

Some of you don't like these betting Previews? 

Yes, I know. More follows..... 

• edited March 2014

So we know that not all of you enjoy these Betting Previews, which we have 4 or 5 times per year for stuff like Cheltenham, Grand National, Masters Golf, Super Bowl etc.

So, here's the trade off.

We've persuaded Lord Grumpy to remain in the Studio after that has finished, & so from 10pm, until Midnight, you'll have a proper good Guest, & a great talker (he goes on, & on, & on) to field your questions, & give his unique views on how poker should be played.

Seems a fair swap to me.

So, get your questions in.

SkyOpen@bskyb.com, via Twitter on @SkyPoker, or via this thread.

Hopefully, the 5 hours tonight has at least something for everyone.

• edited March 2014
    Any chat about betting is good with me Tikay!

When are you inviting me in to talk about trading??
  • edited March 2014
    PS Congrats again on your mega award.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show.......:
    Any chat about betting is good with me Tikay! When are you inviting me in to talk about trading??
    Posted by PokerNoon
    I doubt that would be deemed "on-message" for Sky Bet!
  • edited March 2014
    PS Congrats again on your mega award.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Ha, tyvm. I've not managed to thank everyone for the lovely messages yet, but I'll get there eventually.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show....... : I doubt that would be deemed "on-message" for Sky Bet!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ha, that's a good point! I could talk about how to abuse the free bets that all online bookies offer in order to make a guaranteed profit regardless of outcome, but I doubt they would like that either....
  • edited March 2014

Arrrrrrrrrrr, I will miss the show tonight and I am 'hopefully' going to my 1st Cheltenham next Tuesday. Will this be repeated again before the festival begins? (I know I should check the see what's on thread).

One question for the guests though....

Is it really worth it to pay a fee/subscription to get horse racing tips when there is so much free information available nowadays on line?
  • edited March 2014
    So we know that not all of you enjoy these Betting Previews, which we have 4 or 5 times per year for stuff like Cheltenham, Grand National, Masters Golf, Super Bowl etc. So, here's the trade off. We've persuaded Lord Grumpy to remain in the Studio after that has finished, & so from 10pm, until Midnight, you'll have a proper good Guest, & a great talker (he goes on, & on, & on) to field your questions, & give his unique views on how poker should be played. Seems a fair swap to me.   So, get your questions in. SkyOpen@bskyb.com, via Twitter on @SkyPoker, or via this thread. Hopefully, the 5 hours tonight has at least something for everyone.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    indeed Tikay
    pleasantly surprised
    ty
  • edited March 2014

Behind The Scenes

You don't get this stuff with an Orford Show Thread, eh?

So, Studio Guests do NOT get "talkback" via an earpiece. "Talkback" enables us to hear, & receive instructions, from the Gallery.

The Presenter & Analyst both have Talkback, though the "feeds" can be split, so we don't always hear what the other one hears.

The Producer will say to the Presenter something like "OK, wrap that up", "move on", or whatever. In Orford's case it's usually "just shut up you big oaf".

The Analyst will get "emphasise why the guy played it right/wrong", or "don't read out that alias", "OK, thats enough, throw to the Presenter" etc.

We have things called "hard counts". These lead up to the breaks, at 5 minutes to the hour. These have to be timed TO THE SECOND. So it's quite important to throw to the Presenter in plenty of time for them to do their "out-link". The "out-links" are rehearsed & pre-timed, (off an autocue) before the Show, usually about 25 or 30 seconds. Presenters use the Autrocue for this reason, as they must not deviate from the agreed length of an out-link. Analysts never use Autocue.

And....

To ensure the Presenter gets to the out-link at the right time, we have another hard count down our earpiece to the out-link, usually 30 seconds. 

So if the Analyst is waffling about a hand, they can hear that first count, & know when to throw to the Presenter.

30.....(seconds)

At that PRECISE moment, the Presenter starts his pre-timed out-link, so then we hear another count....

& so on.

So, now comes the important bit, as to tonight.....
  • edited March 2014

So, we have a slight problem with Lord Grumpy. In that once he starts, he never stops. He just goes on, & on, & on......

Which is fine, he talks good stuff. But hard counts & timed links await no man, we have to break at PRECISELY the right time, to the very second. Without fail.

So the TV Suits have decided to try & get Grumps to wear an earpiece tonight. He might not be able to, it is not as easy as you may think to listen AND talk (coherently) at the same time.

But if he does, he'll be able to hear the incoming hard-counts, & "SHUT UP NOW" coming down the earpiece.

We just have to hope he does not get confused between the two counts, (the count to the count, & the count itself). That could be a disaster. It's happened before, too..... 

• edited March 2014

You cannot make this stuff up

Lord Grumpy has just been on the 'phone - he is not too well. So he'll do the 8pm - 10pm slot, but will not now remain in the Studio after 10pm.

Apologies for the bad steer earlier, & all that waffle which is now rendered useless.....

dx'rxdz;r;;;j;[drg''r]
    yj;f;f

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show....... : indeed Tikay pleasantly surprised ty
    Posted by GELDY
    or not as the case may be
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show....... : or not as the case may be
    Posted by GELDY
    !

Sorry about that, Gelders.....

Timing, eh?
  • edited March 2014
    You cannot make this stuff up Lord Grumpy has just been on the 'phone - he is not too well. So he'll do the 8pm - 10pm slot, but will not now remain in the Studio after 10pm. Apologies for the bad steer earlier, & all that waffle which is now rendered useless..... dx'rxdz;r;;;j;[drg''r] yj;f;f
    Posted by Tikay10
    That moment when a guest phones in and asks which analyst he'll be sat on the sofa with...
  • edited March 2014

My morning just goes from bad to worse. Orford is in the thread now, sigh.

Bit of trouble, BOOM, he's in like a shot.

He used to be bearable before he put on all that weight. I thought plump people were supposed to be cheerful?

• edited March 2014
    #sigh cross-selling night
    Posted by GELDY
    Could be worse

Cross-dressing night !

Is Orford not on? :-)
  • edited March 2014

EastEnders to discuss Scottish Independence in tonight's show

BBC have announced that tonight's programme will include a discussion on the Scotland Independence vote.  All the key characters have been given new scripts.  Half way through tonight's episode a discussion will take place in the Queen Vic where the merits of voting yes or no will be debated.  After this discussion the programme will return to normal.

BBC trust that you will enjoy these special discussions.  For those who are not happy, the BBC are pleased to announce that as a special treat, Neil Channing will be staying on to the end of the programme.

• edited March 2014
    I thought plump people were supposed to be cheerful?  
    Posted by Tikay10
     not if they're preggers
  • edited March 2014

....repeated on Sat night, so all good.

If Oxford was the anaylst though, I am sure all the guests would get stuck in traffic :)
  • edited March 2014
    So, we have a slight problem with Lord Grumpy. In that once he starts, he never stops. He just goes on, & on, & on...... Which is fine, he talks good stuff. But hard counts & timed links await no man, we have to break at PRECISELY the right time, to the very second. Without fail. So the TV Suits have decided to try & get Grumps to wear an earpiece tonight. He might not be able to, it is not as easy as you may think to listen AND talk (coherently) at the same time.   But if he does, he'll be able to hear the incoming hard-counts, & "SHUT UP NOW" coming down the earpiece.   We just have to hope he does not get confused between the two counts, (the count to the count, & the count itself). That could be a disaster. It's happened before, too.....   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ironic, don't you think?

You often post several items in rapid succession, without reply! ;)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show....... : Ironic, don't you think? You often post several items in rapid succession, without reply! ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    The irony is not lost on me at all....!

Still, we are up to Page 2 by midday, whereas Orford, with his inane waffle, has to include Last Longers to get past Page 1......
  • edited March 2014
    and all your countdown info is really interesting for those of us who didn't know how it works
    which does make it a must read thread
    unlike some others
  • edited March 2014

Before Nicky Henderson and Willie Mullins put a stranglehold on Cheltenham.
    Alan King and Robert Thornton always did superbly well.
    This season Alan Kings horses have been firing just before Cheltenham starts
    Which Alan King horses does Boycey think will perform beyond expectations at Cheltenham?

There will be a new trainer on the flat this season
    David Menuisier
    he's started a yard at Pulborough W Sussex
    Remember the name because I'm sure he'll be high profile within a couple of years.
    Not only for being one of only a few Frenchmen who have crossed the channel to train in Britain.

Shrapnel would be my outsider for the festival

Have a fantastic show!
  • edited March 2014
    Surely if Neil Channing is coming for 2 hours he should do the poker analysis not the Cheltenham preview.

I really dont know if he's an expert on the 'sport of kings' but I'd rather hear him as an analyst on tonights poker action.

Tell him to come later (which will give him 2 more hours to recuprate)
  • edited March 2014
    Surely if Neil Channing is coming for 2 hours he should do the poker analysis not the Cheltenham preview. I really dont know if he's an expert on the 'sport of kings' but I'd rather hear him as an analyst on tonights poker action. Tell him to come later (which will give him 2 more hours to recuprate)
    Posted by ff55hh
    Neil is a very well-versed in horse racing and will certainly have some very informative things to say about Cheltenham.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Tonight, on Ch 861, a PACKED Show....... : The irony is not lost on me at all....! Still, we are up to Page 2 by midday, whereas Orford, with his inane waffle, has to include Last Longers to get past Page 1......
    Posted by Tikay10
     Yes but most of the posts are yours
  • edited March 2014

Please could you repeat the Cheltenham 2 hours several times before Tuesday, may not be able to watch tonight but definately want to see this .

Have a good'en

• edited March 2014
    Please could you repeat the Cheltenham 2 hours several times before Tuesday, may not be able to watch tonight but definately want to see this . Have a good'en
    Posted by 1267
    +1