You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Your preference on promo qualification

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

Let's say Sky Poker was going to do a promotion where we gave away £10,000 of cash to people. What would your preference be as to the best or fairest way to distribute this amongst qualifiers?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    If you do leaderboards, I'd do it by stake. Not by previous months points. Exclude prio members if need be, not fussed.

ie

>nl10 and under
    >nl20 - nl40
    >nl50 +
  • edited March 2014
    So how would you include DYM, S&G & MTT players?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your preference on promo qualification:
    Posted by FCHD

I'm happy to have similar leaderboards for BI levels on those too. Was just giving an example, not bashing the stt/mtt players.
  • edited March 2014
    OK, fair enough.
  • edited March 2014
    Posted by FCHD
    We didn't say we wouldn't, that's up for debate too but the main thing we are interested in for this poll is the process.
  • edited March 2014

SNG Challenge leaderboard

Win on the Sit & Go tables and grind your way to the top of our weekly Sit & Go Challenge leader board, with over £xxx? in cash guaranteed! The challenge runs from Fridays at 00:00 CET through Thursdays at 23:59 CET and ranks players according to total winnings over the period on real-money sit & go tables.

How to win

Every time you play a real money Sit & Go game, you will earn a certain number of points according to how well you performed. Your points will be totaled and at the end of the period you will be ranked against your opponents. Top ranked players win a cash prize depending on their final position.

The Sit & Go Challenge is divided into four stakes levels:

Micro
    Low
    Medium
    High

Calculating points and ranking winners

Points are calculated as follows:

Points = (sng win amount - buyin amount / buyin amount)

Example: Player A plays 1 Sit & Go table with a buy-in amount of £10. He wins 18.80. The points earned for this game are 0.88 points. The same player plays another Sit & Go table with a buy-in of €10. He does not win any money or points for this game are therefore earns -1 points. He plays a third Sit & Go for £10 and wins £45. He therefore earns 3.5 points. His total points for the period is 3.38 (+0.88 - 1 + 3.5).

Winners are determined according to stakes level in descending order according to total points. For example the person who earned the most points in the High stakes category will be ranked first place.

• edited March 2014
    not so keen on giving the best players/biggest winners even more money dohhh :)

I'd quite like to see something more creative than a rake race/freerolls...

some ideas

MTT: add secret bounties, added money to prize pools, everyone in the main gets £x added to their bounty.

STT:  games randomly have prize pools multiplied (golden Games?)

Cash: every X minutes, a random hand has £x added (golden Hands??), a sky employee plays and goes all in every hand for a few minutes at a time on a random table (fish fight??)

• edited March 2014
    not so keen on giving the best players/biggest winners even more money dohhh :) I'd quite like to see something more creative than a rake race/freerolls... some ideas MTT: add secret bounties, added money to prize pools, everyone in the main gets £x added to their bounty. STT:  games randomly have prize pools multiplied (golden Games?) Cash: every X minutes, a random hand has £x added (golden Hands??), a sky employee plays and goes all in every hand for a few minutes at a time on a random table (fish fight??)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I'd have really flat payouts, and also the 4 tier system will help distribute the moniez a lot wider than normal.

Also make it a short time frame, maybe run it weekly, everyone has a chance of heatering in the short term!

Just think it's about time success was rewarded alongside volume

Also an investment in sngs long term, I'm sure it'll be good for the action post promo.

+1 all your ideas though. Get outside of the box !!!

Although this forum will be flooded with wallies when Orford ships the 52o and cracks AA/KK/QQ in 1 hand!
  • edited March 2014
    SNG Challenge leaderboard Win on the Sit & Go tables and grind your way to the top of our weekly Sit & Go Challenge leader board, with over £xxx? in cash guaranteed! The challenge runs from Fridays at 00:00 CET through Thursdays at 23:59 CET and ranks players according to total winnings over the period on real-money sit & go tables. How to win Every time you play a real money Sit & Go game , you will earn a certain number of points according to how well you performed. Your points will be totaled and at the end of the period you will be ranked against your opponents . Top ranked players win a cash prize depending on their final position. The Sit & Go Challenge is divided into four stakes levels: Micro Low Medium High Calculating points and ranking winners Points are calculated as follows: Points = (sng win amount - buyin amount / buyin amount) Example: Player A plays 1 Sit & Go table with a buy-in amount of £10. He wins 18.80. The points earned for this game are 0.88 points. The same player plays another Sit & Go table with a buy-in of €10. He does not win any money or points for this game are therefore earns -1 points. He plays a third Sit & Go for £10 and wins £45. He therefore earns 3.5 points. His total points for the period is 3.38 (+0.88 - 1 + 3.5). Winners are determined according to stakes level in descending order according to total points. For example the person who earned the most points in the High stakes category will be ranked first place.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I quite like this idea but I just cant see Sky getting the above formula right. They struggle enough with pure points races.

Sorry Sky lol

• edited March 2014

I voted leaderboards but prize draws are good too. Problem with the leaderboards is finding a fair way to tier them. Prize draws are very fair but don't really encourage people to put in as many extra hours as leaderboards do.

Please don't do the freerolls because you always put them on at god awful times.

For prizes as well you should give out more physical prizes and why not give away sky tv packages?! your bound to get them cheaper than the value their worth just have cash equivs for people who don't want them. 

Could also give away more tourney seats/tokens to stretch the prizes out a bit more because they cost less to you than they're worth to players.

• edited March 2014
    I voted leaderboards but prize draws are good too. Problem with the leaderboards is finding a fair way to tier them. Prize draws are very fair but don't really encourage people to put in as many extra hours as leaderboards do. Please don't do the freerolls because you always put them on at god awful times. For prizes as well you should give out more physical prizes and why not give away sky tv packages?! your bound to get them cheaper than the value their worth just have cash equivs for people who don't want them.  Could also give away more tourney seats/tokens to stretch the prizes out a bit more because they cost less to you than they're worth to players.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    +1

Same vote and very similar opinions from me.

and as for the decision to reward loyalty  by putting on freerolls at 2.00pm on a Sunday, I would just like to say please don't consume alcohol at your next promo meeting, as it obviously clouds your thought processes ;)

• edited March 2014
    Please dont do another rakerace.

Add bonus hands, who ever is involved the mystery hand which will be randomley selected between 5-10pm every weeknight of the xx-xx of Aprill gets 2 buy ins of that cash level free and the winner of the mystery hand gets an Ipad (That seems to be the general prize around here).

The pro's of this idea
    -People will play all night waiting for the mystery hand, people will take shots at higher stakes to maximise there wins if there involved in the hand.

-The games will be good!

-Giving 10k away this way will take time and this promo will propably take up a full week of Aprill.

-Cash games will be buzzing all week and recreational palyers will be interested because its a quick wn.

Remember all the buzz around the 60th million hand? (Or whatever it was)

This Promo may need a lil tweeking but so far I cannot see a floor with it.
  • edited March 2014
    Obviously SNG's and Toruneys can be included. 

Involved in the hand gets 2 buy ins for that SNG or tourney too
  • edited March 2014
    I always thought the raffle was by far the fairest. It gives everyone the chance of any prize but also rewards the biggest grinders as they have more chance to win said prizes.

I like the golden SnG, MTT, cash hand suggestion too. 

As for leaderboards, I'm not sure if its possible but stake relevant tables is a good idea too. Obviously each stake has higher prize pools but its another way to involve everyone and give some small timers a chance. The problem with rake races/other leaderboards is it only gives the same people rewards time and again. A lot of us have small bankrolls AND not much time to put the effort in which is probably the key.

I'll use me as an axample (why not?!) but I have tried to play consistenly higher levels, play more tables and as much free time as possible and I am currently on target for my best ever PP total. The end result? Not that far up the table and have no chance of making more than the minimum. Its dishearten to try hard and not make much headway while there are obviously Priority players killing it at the top (yes, they didnt make Priority last month but obviously have in the past. This should have been done on the last three months average points).

Its not a moan, just trying to get the point of view of smaller players accross. I comend Sky for constantly trying to improve and offer us the best. Well done and keep it up. Love the site.
  • edited March 2014
    I always thought the raffle was by far the fairest. It gives everyone the chance of any prize but also rewards the biggest grinders as they have more chance to win said prizes. I like the golden SnG, MTT, cash hand suggestion too.  As for leaderboards, I'm not sure if its possible but stake relevant tables is a good idea too. Obviously each stake has higher prize pools but its another way to involve everyone and give some small timers a chance. The problem with rake races/other leaderboards is it only gives the same people rewards time and again. A lot of us have small bankrolls AND not much time to put the effort in which is probably the key. I'll use me as an axample (why not?!) but I have tried to play consistenly higher levels, play more tables and as much free time as possible and I am currently on target for my best ever PP total. The end result? Not that far up the table and have no chance of making more than the minimum. Its dishearten to try hard and not make much headway while there are obviously Priority players killing it at the top (yes, they didnt make Priority last month but obviously have in the past. This should have been done on the last three months average points). Its not a moan, just trying to get the point of view of smaller players accross. I comend Sky for constantly trying to improve and offer us the best. Well done and keep it up. Love the site.
    Posted by CraigSG1

I'd vote for the prize draw too - I play most evenings but don't play cash games so my poker points are never huge - but at least I'd have a chance of winning something rather than based purely on leader board points.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your preference on promo qualification : I'd vote for the prize draw too - I play most evenings but don't play cash games so my poker points are never huge - but at least I'd have a chance of winning something rather than based purely on leader board points.
    Posted by IrishRose
    This +1
  • edited March 2014
    SNG Challenge leaderboard Win on the Sit & Go tables and grind your way to the top of our weekly Sit & Go Challenge leader board, with over £xxx? in cash guaranteed! The challenge runs from Fridays at 00:00 CET through Thursdays at 23:59 CET and ranks players according to total winnings over the period on real-money sit & go tables. How to win Every time you play a real money Sit & Go game , you will earn a certain number of points according to how well you performed. Your points will be totaled and at the end of the period you will be ranked against your opponents . Top ranked players win a cash prize depending on their final position. The Sit & Go Challenge is divided into four stakes levels: Micro Low Medium High Calculating points and ranking winners Points are calculated as follows: Points = (sng win amount - buyin amount / buyin amount) Example: Player A plays 1 Sit & Go table with a buy-in amount of £10. He wins 18.80. The points earned for this game are 0.88 points. The same player plays another Sit & Go table with a buy-in of €10. He does not win any money or points for this game are therefore earns -1 points. He plays a third Sit & Go for £10 and wins £45. He therefore earns 3.5 points. His total points for the period is 3.38 (+0.88 - 1 + 3.5). Winners are determined according to stakes level in descending order according to total points. For example the person who earned the most points in the High stakes category will be ranked first place.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1
  • edited March 2014
    Personally I'd opt for prize draw - if you really want to up the amount of hands played, maybe make it so you get 1 ticket per 1,000 pts, or need to hit a 1,000 points before you start collecting any tickets... whatever amount is deemed 'fair' for a recreational player to realistically qualify for at least 1 ticket in the draw.

The idea of lucky hands always seems to generate more traffic as well, plus is fair to players of all levels. Maybe every millionth / ten millionth hand gets a prize say, with people multi-tabling a lot more in the run up to the pay-out.  If it's a truly random hand then it may not generate so much extra play?

For the SNGs, I'm sure I saw an idea somewhere of a random multiplier, which seems like it could spark a bit of extra interest in these otherwise slow-traffic tables.

I think the theory is that you pay an extra few pence on rake, but when the table opens a small percentage have the total payout multiplied - so you could register for a 50p + 5p 6-max SNG (which may become 50p + 10p, say) and when it opens you could be told that the prizepool has been increased by 2x, 3x, 10x, 100x (say) and suddenly find yourself with the chance to spin a 50p buy-in up to a £195 payout.

I'll shut up now.  Do some lucky draws :)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your preference on promo qualification : I'd vote for the prize draw too - I play most evenings but don't play cash games so my poker points are never huge - but at least I'd have a chance of winning something rather than based purely on leader board points.
    Posted by IrishRose

+2

Or just do a all in every hand tournament for every player on the site.............that will test the software out :)
  • edited March 2014
    I 've got over 5k historical points sitting doing nothing.
    Could i get prize draw tickets with these?
  • edited March 2014
    If you do leaderboards, I'd do it by stake. Not by previous months points. Exclude prio members if need be, not fussed. ie />nl10 and under >nl20 - nl40 >nl50 +
    Posted by splashies
    +1
  • edited March 2014
    Run a monthly bad beat freeroll for the worst beats of the month (voted for on the forum).
    Give the players on the wrong end of the beat a chance to get some money back.
  • edited March 2014
    How about leaderboards based on a bit of skill??

say top 50 leaderboard with the longest winning run in dyms at different levels

and the same with consecutive cashes for MTT players

and then cash players you could just keep the rake race as most cash grinders seem to like that sort of thing??

or something similar to this, im sure other people could tweak this idea into a viable promotion
  • edited March 2014
    This will more than likely never happen, but I would like to see qualification based on amount of time spent at tables in a given period. This way it rewards loyalty rather than whoever puts down the most money on the site (some people just can't afford to do that).

Having said that, you shouldn't get something for nothing so maybe exclude time spent on freeroll tables from this.
  • edited March 2014
    This will more than likely never happen, but I would like to see qualification based on amount of time spent at tables in a given period. This way it rewards loyalty rather than whoever puts down the most money on the site (some people just can't afford to do that). Having said that, you shouldn't get something for nothing so maybe exclude time spent on freeroll tables from this.
    Posted by peter27

so someone who plays 30p dyms for 12 hours a day should get more reward than a high stakes cash grinder or someone who plays in all the tournameants each evening?? such a silly idea imo.. the amount of time spent on tables has nothing to do with loyalty,. the most loyal players are the ones who put in the most effort on the forums and poker clinic and turn up to SPT's purely to show their face all for no reward i would have no qualms with them receiving extra rewards but asking to be rewarded for just being at the table is basically a way of saying.. " im not a great player so can only play low stakes but i want to be rewarded as much as the players who have spent hours and hours working on their game to get where they are" nothing to do with loyalty
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your preference on promo qualification : so someone who plays 30p dyms for 12 hours a day should get more reward than a high stakes cash grinder or someone who plays in all the tournameants each evening?? such a silly idea imo.. the amount of time spent on tables has nothing to do with loyalty,. the most loyal players are the ones who put in the most effort on the forums and poker clinic and turn up to SPT's purely to show their face all for no reward i would have no qualms with them receiving extra rewards but asking to be rewarded for just being at the table is basically a way of saying.. " im not a great player so can only play low stakes but i want to be rewarded as much as the players who have spent hours and hours working on their game to get where they are" nothing to do with loyalty
    Posted by jordz16

Fatten the fish to keep the sharks fed.
  • edited March 2014
    Prize Draw or Several Leaderboards

Could be a idea to have 2 seperate tables MTT/SNG vs Cash £5k up for grabs in each ?  

You could then split that further by having a Gold table for each, then a Silver/Bronze Table
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Your preference on promo qualification : so someone who plays 30p dyms for 12 hours a day should get more reward than a high stakes cash grinder or someone who plays in all the tournameants each evening?? such a silly idea imo.. the amount of time spent on tables has nothing to do with loyalty,. the most loyal players are the ones who put in the most effort on the forums and poker clinic and turn up to SPT's purely to show their face all for no reward i would have no qualms with them receiving extra rewards but asking to be rewarded for just being at the table is basically a way of saying.. " im not a great player so can only play low stakes but i want to be rewarded as much as the players who have spent hours and hours working on their game to get where they are" nothing to do with loyalty
    Posted by jordz16
    That example makes no sense because a "high stakes cash grinder or someone who plays in all the tournameants each evening" could have just as much play time as someone grinding on the 30p dyms.

The last part of your comment seems to suggest that you think only rubbish players play low stakes and only good players play high stakes - I'm just going to let that hang for other people to judge.

I think you mis-understand, I'm not saying every promotion should be like this, but it would be nice to have some like this. Take Larson and Slipwater's 24-hour charity table for instance, that shows a real commitment to play for that length of time, and I think it should be rewarded - regardless of what stakes they were playing at.
  • edited March 2014
    You are saying someone who 1 tables low limit dyms for 12 hours a day is more loyal than a high stakes cash player who 12 tables for 6 hours every evening?? its ridiculous. loyalty and minutes spent at the tables are not something that run in conjunction with eachother so you really dont make any sense.. Rake is the money that you pay sky to play on the site, i dont see why someone who pays £50 in rake should get the same reward as someone paying £5000.. i dont even hardly play cash or get involved with rake races but i just want to see actual fair promotions on this site
  • edited March 2014
    You need something that combines winrate with volume.

My suggestion is perfect for that.

It's stolen from another site, 1 of the fastest growing sites in the World.

Just copy other sites, if something works, it'll already be working somewhere else.

Do a separate cash/mtt promo, some good ideas for both itt already.