You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Skill & Go - confused.com?

edited March 2014 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

There have been a lot of Forum Posts, & PM's, about this, as to the interpretation of how ROI will be measured.

The Promo Page for Skill & Go is being clarified, & I'll Post on here later today so that there is no confusion.

It does not start until just after Midnight tonight, so everything will be quite clear well before then.

The Prize Breakdown for the Final Table will also be made known shortly.

Any questions, shoot. Away, not me.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Skill & Go - confused.com?:
    Good morning. There have been a lot of Forum Posts, & PM's, about this, as to the interpretation of how ROI will be measured.   The Promo Page for Skill & Go is being clarified, & I'll Post on here later today so that there is no confusion. It does not start until just after Midnight tonight, so everything will be quite clear well before then.   The Prize Breakdown for the Final Table will also be made known shortly.   Any questions, shoot. Away, not me.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    thank you!!  hopefully get a few in 2mrw!
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com?:
    In Response to Skill & Go - confused.com? : thank you!!  hopefully get a few in 2mrw!
    Posted by bigflop1

Good Luck Mr Flop.

Will you be playing 6 Max SNG's, or DYM's?

At what price point?

Not being nosey, just curious, as everyone sems to have a differing view as to the best way to attack the Promo.

• edited March 2014
    or another question you could of put is, will you be playing plo8 6max  or plo8 dym's?  

:-)

• edited March 2014
    or another question you could of put is, will you be playing plo8 6max  or plo8 dym's?   :-)
    Posted by ms-tree
    Oooh.

I dont really know, to be honest.

I'll probably stick with the PLO8 DYM's, as they are about the only form of poker I don't lose money at these days......

My concern is that the liquidity will move across from DYM's to 6 Max SNG's, as they have a better chance (I think?) of winning Skill & Go.

Incidentally - I think we discussed this on the Tables last night - personally, I won't be entering Skill & Go. But I'll be following it closely, & if I may be partisan for once, I do hope the PLO8 crew run well, & get a shot at winning. What a great advert that would be for PLO8.

Always a pleasure to share tables with you, by the way. Why are almost all PLO8 players so polite & good-natured?  
  • edited March 2014

any questions?

ok.

If you took to self cannibalism and decided to eat yourself. Would you become twice as big or disappear altogether?

• edited March 2014
    morning tikay, prob going to be playing a mix of £5.50 6max and £11 dyms.  will start off though playing regular six max as i think the roi on dyms wont be enough to win this promo.  I think whoever is going to do well needs a good start buy cashing in a few early on maybe like 4 out of 1st 5!!

i only started the other thread to clarify if it were average roi or total roi being used as it will play a big part in how people approach it... didnt mean to cause the stir it did  oooops!!
  • edited March 2014
    any questions? ok. If you took to self cannibalism and decided to eat yourself. Would you become twice as big or disappear altogether?
    Posted by ShaunyT
    inetersting... imo you would stay the same, what you take away you would gain back?? could be wrong tho as ive never really thougfht about it too much :)
  • edited March 2014
    morning tikay, prob going to be playing a mix of £5.50 6max and £11 dyms.  will start off though playing regular six max as i think the roi on dyms wont be enough to win this promo.  I think whoever is going to do well needs a good start buy cashing in a few early on maybe like 4 out of 1st 5!! i only started the other thread to clarify if it were average roi or total roi being used as it will play a big part in how people approach it... didnt mean to cause the stir it did  oooops!!
    Posted by bigflop1
    Listen, it is NOT a problem at all, & you did nothing wrong. Far better to clear up any misunderstandings BEFORE it starts. It's like when your stockings ladder, you need to catch it quick, or it goes all the way down. Or up. And we don't want to go there, do we?
  • edited March 2014
     Why are almost all PLO8 players so polite & good-natured?  

nicely put, almost!!!

yes i hope a plo8 player can make the ft, but feel dym players will struggle with only 6 places up for grab, as i am sure more then 6 sng players will have a nice sick run.

oooo well, see you at the tables soon.
  • edited March 2014
    Also on this, i still feel very strongly that this promo should of had 2 groups, 1 for sng, 1 for dym.

more volume for both game types, final would be nice mix (as top 3 from each group)

as this will end up being a final of 6 sng players that have run good.
  • edited March 2014
    I've given the dym v 6 max games a lot of thought (5 mins! but it was intensive thinking!) )

Contrary to what most are saying (and they probably are right). I reckon dyms have a chance here. I reckon 40% roi will have a hell of a chance of making top 6 - I seem to be alone on this.

The chances of winning a 6 max are only 16% so yes it pays out really big but its unlikely your gonna win too many!

This promo is fascinating and its become a dym v 6 max ------go dyms!!!

Edit: Oh dear its total roi??? and not average roi??? am I seeing things? Perhaps it hasnt been updated yet.

Ger
  • edited March 2014
     Why are almost all PLO8 players so polite & good-natured?   nicely put, almost!!! yes i hope a plo8 player can make the ft, but feel dym players will struggle with only 6 places up for grab, as i am sure more then 6 sng players will have a nice sick run. oooo well, see you at the tables soon.
    Posted by ms-tree
    Well yes, "almost".

Put it this way, it is so rare to see "bad blood" in the PL8 Table chat-boxes that it always gets noticed, so it must be a rarity.

I can recall less than a dozen nasty chat box incidents in the 3,000 PLO8 DYM's I've played in the last few months. Oddly, & sadly, on another Forum last week, the Sky Poker players were described as the rudest players on any Online Poker Site. I don't buy that at all, but I never argued, there was no point. You generally have to "give action to get action", so some of those who complain about chat-box rudeness are actually the culprits themselves, for being obnoxious in the first place. Think of the Bechham Red Card in the World Cup, if you get my drift.    

• edited March 2014
    Also on this, i still feel very strongly that this promo should of had 2 groups, 1 for sng, 1 for dym. more volume for both game types, final would be nice mix (as top 3 from each group) as this will end up being a final of 6 sng players that have run good.
    Posted by ms-tree
    Maybe, maybe not. Sky Poker run Promos galore, 5 or 6 every month, so in due course, I'm sure your suggestion will be considered.

Of course, the Business gets a bit of flak, "it does not suit me" sorta thing, but that just goes with the territory. Overall, players LOVE Promos, & the variety of them. The proof of that is in the numbers of players who get involved. 

• edited March 2014
    I agree tikay, plo8 players (tho not many on here) are great, we have good banter on the table, and nice regular crowd too, but we need new blood to join us, and hopefully make this game more popular (as at the moment not many do play this great game).

• edited March 2014
    I agree tikay, plo8 players (tho not many on here) are great, we have good banter on the table, and nice regular crowd too, but we need new blood to join us, and hopefully make this game more popular (as at the moment not many do play this great game).
    Posted by ms-tree
    I think the PLO8 traffic in the DYM's is extraordinary, compared to other sites, & relative to size.

I bet north of 100 PLO8 DYM's run here every night. That's pretty good, I'd say. 

Soon, it will be more. It will, trust me. ;)

PS - Chelsea to win the league? And did your man like the Villa result this weekend? ;)

• edited March 2014
    Sky poker being the rudest???? How was this defined......on any other site Ive played nobody talks nobody replies to your hello or nh or wd. Infact the only time they talk is to give abuse when they lose. So 97.4% of chat on other sites is abuse from what I can see.

People talk more on sky (probably due to the language barrier elsewhere), so yes you see more abuse but the % of abuse to good chat is 3.6%) - all figures were rounded to one decimal place.!

• edited March 2014
    Some interesting questions popping up

will a DYM player make it to the top 6? its possible, but they would need an extrodinary run IMO. like winning 25/30 DYMS would give you a 52% ROI. that might not even be enough.

compare that to a similar standard format run of 10 x wins, 10 x 2nd places from 30 games, gives you an 82% ROI

There are some proper sicko DYM players, but i still think we are about 50/50 to get just 1 in the top 6.

what ROI will be needed for a top 6 finish? my guess is around 60%, with the winner getting > 100%

TK, have you thought about playing standard PL08 SNGs? - you never know, you might win at them too. My guess is that you avoid them because most of the money is up for grabs when HU... and you suck at HU :)

Should TK be allowed to enter? Personally I wouldnt have a problem, some extra value in the SNGs would be welcome IMO :)

Average ROI vs Total ROI? its gotta be average ROI right? there is temptation for collusion and other tactics not in the spirit of the promo otherwise.

• edited March 2014
    At present the promo page indicates:

(Total winnings - total buy-ins) / total buy-ins

will be used. This would lead to total ROI rather than average ROI being the determining number. In that case, the promotion can be exploited, as others have suggested, by winning one extremely high value SNG, then playing 29 low value ones. For example, win one £55 sng and take £195 from that, then play 29 55p SNG's and lose them all:

(195 - 70.95) / 70.95 = 174.8%
  • edited March 2014
    As I said on the other thread, hopefully this^^ will change.
  • edited March 2014
    At present the promo page indicates: (Total winnings - total buy-ins) / total buy-ins will be used. This would lead to total ROI rather than average ROI being the determining number. In that case, the promotion can be exploited, as others have suggested, by winning one extremely high value SNG, then playing 29 low value ones. For example, win one £55 sng and take £195 from that, then play 29 55p SNG's and lose them all: (195 - 70.95) / 70.95 = 174.8%
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Yes, all noted Borin, but as I said in my OP......

"....The Promo Page for Skill & Go is being clarified, & I'll Post on here later today so that there is no confusion...."
  • edited March 2014
    Some interesting questions popping up will a DYM player make it to the top 6? its possible, but they would need an extrodinary run IMO. like winning 25/30 DYMS would give you a 52% ROI. that might not even be enough. compare that to a similar standard format run of 10 x wins, 10 x 2nd places from 30 games, gives you an 82% ROI There are some proper sicko DYM players, but i still think we are about 50/50 to get just 1 in the top 6. what ROI will be needed for a top 6 finish? my guess is around 60%, with the winner getting /> 100% TK, have you thought about playing standard PL08 SNGs? - you never know, you might win at them too. My guess is that you avoid them because most of the money is up for grabs when HU... and you suck at HU :) Should TK be allowed to enter? Personally I wouldnt have a problem, some extra value in the SNGs would be welcome IMO :) Average ROI vs Total ROI? its gotta be average ROI right? there is temptation for collusion and other tactics not in the spirit of the promo otherwise.
    Posted by chicknMelt

• edited March 2014
    Some interesting questions popping up will a DYM player make it to the top 6? its possible, but they would need an extrodinary run IMO. like winning 25/30 DYMS would give you a 52% ROI. that might not even be enough. compare that to a similar standard format run of 10 x wins, 10 x 2nd places from 30 games, gives you an 82% ROI There are some proper sicko DYM players, but i still think we are about 50/50 to get just 1 in the top 6. what ROI will be needed for a top 6 finish? my guess is around 60%, with the winner getting /> 100% TK, have you thought about playing standard PL08 SNGs? - you never know, you might win at them too. My guess is that you avoid them because most of the money is up for grabs when HU... and you suck at HU :)Should TK be allowed to enter? Personally I wouldnt have a problem, some extra value in the SNGs would be welcome IMO :) Average ROI vs Total ROI? its gotta be average ROI right? there is temptation for collusion and other tactics not in the spirit of the promo otherwise.
    Posted by chicknMelt

• edited March 2014

Bye bye Melty.

BOOM!

My life is complete.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com? :
    Posted by Tikay10
    come and put me in my place in some standard PLO8 SNGs tonight?? 

personally, I would quite like out try out some PLO8 SNGs before the challenge starts to see how I get on. not sure I have ever seen any run though.

• edited March 2014
    I will be playing 6 max games at 5.50 and below.....mainly below though.
    not aiming for much just 29 1st s and a 2nd.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com? : come and put me in my place in some standard PLO8 SNGs tonight??  personally, I would quite like out try out some PLO8 SNGs before the challenge starts to see how I get on. not sure I have ever seen any run though.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I might do, I need to have a think first.

The structure is quite different to a DYM.

DYM, 2,000 chips, 5 minute blinds.

6-Max SNG, 1,500 chips, 7 minute blinds.

The blind increments are totally different, too. A DYM takes 6 levels to reach 100-200, a Six Max SNG takes 4 levels to reach 100-200. No 150-300 in the 6-Max, either.

So how will that affect their "playability", compared to a DYM? Faster, slower, neither?

You know how I play, very very passive, never raise, or get aggro. Mainly.

PS - I was having a ball last night, feasting on your BB. Until you caught me out, oops. Most disrespectful, imo, you should fold when I bet.    

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com? : Well yes, "almost". Put it this way, it is so rare to see "bad blood" in the PL8 Table chat-boxes that it always gets noticed, so it must be a rarity.   I can recall less than a dozen nasty chat box incidents in the 3,000 PLO8 DYM's I've played in the last few months. Oddly, & sadly, on another Forum last week, the Sky Poker players were described as the rudest players on any Online Poker Site. I don't buy that at all, but I never argued, there was no point. You generally have to "give action to get action", so some of those who complain about chat-box rudeness are actually the culprits themselves, for being obnoxious in the first place. Think of the Bechham Red Card in the World Cup, if you get my drift.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    u miss lots then tikay .had a lovely chap(he is quite regular on site) in the 1.10 hi/lo tournament yesterday that told me he hoped i got aids or somthing very similar.all over a quid ffs. i understand the game is very frustrating and can make you a bit cranky especially when heads up your opponent keeps hitting the only card that saves them but its a game and it happens.

but on the whole most are decent people and willing too help or give advice if asked

looks like a good promo but only 6 winners makes it very tough..

a quick question played a dym started about 11.20 last night but finished after 12 will that count towards this promo as the game finished after 12?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com? : I might do, I need to have a think first. The structure is quite different to a DYM. DYM, 2,000 chips, 5 minute blinds.   6-Max SNG, 1,500 chips, 7 minute blinds.   The blind increments are totally different, too. A DYM takes 6 levels to reach 100-200, a Six Max SNG takes 4 levels to reach 100-200. No 150-300 in the 6-Max, either.   So how will that affect their "playability", compared to a DYM? Faster, slower, neither? You know how I play, very very passive, never raise, or get aggro. Mainly. PS - I was having a ball last night, feasting on your BB. Until you caught me out, oops. Most disrespectful, imo, you should fold when I bet.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    you think about things too much

they play pretty similar in terms of time per game, at least the NLH ones do (going on gut feeling only btw)

this is strange, I was sure there was a 150/300 level in the NLH SNGs i was playing last night...

15.00 / 30.007
    225.00 / 50.007
    340.00 / 80.007
    450.00 / 100.007
    575.00 / 150.007
    6100.00 / 200.007
    7150.00 / 300.007
    8200.00 / 400.007
    9300.00 / 600.007
    10400.00 / 800.007
    11500.00 / 1000.007
    12600.00 / 1200.007
    13800.00 / 1600.007
    141000.00 / 2000.007
    151500.00 / 3000.00-
    The PLO8 ones seem to have a different structure...

110.00 / 20.007
    220.00 / 40.007
    330.00 / 60.007
    450.00 / 100.007
    5100.00 / 200.007
    6200.00 / 400.007
    7300.00 / 600.007
    8400.00 / 800.007
    9500.00 / 1000.007
    10600.00 / 1200.007
    11800.00 / 1600.007
    121000.00 / 2000.007
    131500.00 / 3000.007
    142000.00 / 4000.007
    153000.00 / 6000.007
    165000.00 / 10000.007
    177000.00 / 14000.007
    1810000.00 / 20000.007
    1915000.00 / 30000.007
    2020000.00 / 40000.00-

20k/40k blinds... is that incase there is some stolen chips brought in from other games??

I would imagine strategies are fairly similar for DYMs and SNGs - tight early on and agro it up a bit later on.

yes, i know how you play... play on your tight image to steal my blinds!

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com?:
    In Response to Re: Skill & Go - confused.com? : I might do, I need to have a think first. The structure is quite different to a DYM. DYM, 2,000 chips, 5 minute blinds.   6-Max SNG, 1,500 chips, 7 minute blinds.   The blind increments are totally different, too. A DYM takes 6 levels to reach 100-200, a Six Max SNG takes 4 levels to reach 100-200. No 150-300 in the 6-Max, either.   So how will that affect their "playability", compared to a DYM? Faster, slower, neither? You know how I play, very very passive, never raise, or get aggro. Mainly. PS - I was having a ball last night, feasting on your BB. Until you caught me out, oops. Most disrespectful, imo, you should fold when I bet.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    you think about things too much

they play pretty similar in terms of time per game, at least the NLH ones do (going on gut feeling only btw)

this is strange, I was sure there was a 150/300 level in the NLH SNGs i was playing last night...

15.00 / 30.007
    225.00 / 50.007
    340.00 / 80.007
    450.00 / 100.007
    575.00 / 150.007
    6100.00 / 200.007
    7150.00 / 300.007
    8200.00 / 400.007
    9300.00 / 600.007
    10400.00 / 800.007
    11500.00 / 1000.007
    12600.00 / 1200.007
    13800.00 / 1600.007
    141000.00 / 2000.007
    151500.00 / 3000.00-
    The PLO8 ones seem to have a different structure...

110.00 / 20.007
    220.00 / 40.007
    330.00 / 60.007
    450.00 / 100.007
    5100.00 / 200.007
    6200.00 / 400.007
    7300.00 / 600.007
    8400.00 / 800.007
    9500.00 / 1000.007
    10600.00 / 1200.007
    11800.00 / 1600.007
    121000.00 / 2000.007
    131500.00 / 3000.007
    142000.00 / 4000.007
    153000.00 / 6000.007
    165000.00 / 10000.007
    177000.00 / 14000.007
    1810000.00 / 20000.007
    1915000.00 / 30000.007
    2020000.00 / 40000.00-

20k/40k blinds... is that incase there is some stolen chips brought in from other games??

I would imagine strategies are fairly similar for DYMs and SNGs - tight early on and agro it up a bit later on.

yes, i know how you play... play on your tight image to steal my blinds!
  • edited March 2014

Just to confirm, the Promo page now states............

We will measure your level of skill based on the average ROI (Return On Investment) of 30 or more 6 Max Sit & Go’s