You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you rate yourself?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How do you rate yourself?:
    Most players lose moneyso any player who makes an overall profit must be well above average. If it is accurate that 99% of players lose money, then anyone making a profit is in top 1%. If only 75% lose money then anyone making a profit is on top25%. Simple, not average! i'm a well below average player who plays a reasonable amount, at the minute i'm showing a slight profit but in the end i'll lose it. (Have won an 8 pm and final tabled through luck,so  it's far from impossible silentbob!)   At the end of the day poker is a hobby as far as i'm concerned and i'm willing to pay a certain amount to take part in it while others are not,which leads to moaning when we hit the bad times imo, just play with what you are willing to lose if u manage to not make a loss its fun for free, isn't it? 
    Posted by rats107
    im just rubbish at this game but i do look great at the table
  • edited December 2009
    good post and we will have the loose players slating the tight and visa versa sigh.if you play within your bank roll year in year out then you are good no matter what level or format.it would be interesting to know how many do regards brett   
  • edited December 2009
    If you are a consistent winner in the games you play, no matter what level, then you can consider yourself above average.

This has to be calculated over a significant amount of time, to allow variance to take its toll, so id say if over a 12 month period you have consistently won and end the year you are in profit, then id feel id been successful.

I would say though that imo, you can never stop learning and studying your games for leaks!

You will always find better players than you! period! If you cant handle this and are driven by your ego, it doesnt matter how good you are, you will end up broke!

I aim to have an edge against the players i sit down at the table with, and always want to learn new 'plays' to improve! Im in profit so id say above average.

Dan
  • edited December 2009
    I would say under-average.

Going to try to play more in 2010 to develop my game, but at the moment it's not exactly multi-dimensional.

I've read a few books and have a good grasp of the basics.

However, I feel I do have an above average reaction to "bad beats" and rarely tilt, so there is not much fluctuation to my natural game.
  • edited December 2009
    I voted myself as below average because the description...

Slightly below average - I understand most things but have my mad moments which hold me back!

Describes me to a tee!!
  • edited December 2009
    Can i vote again please??? want to vote for complette muppet after the way ive played tonight :(
  • edited January 2010
     Definitely below average for me.  I believe that i know the in and outs of the game as well as any but i lack the skills required to use them properly.

On a slightly different issue, a couple of years ago they conducted a poll of drivers to see how they rated their driving abilities and the results said so much about the human ego.  20% said average and 80% said above average.
  • edited January 2010
    Great thread, im like a couple on here who play well for a while then donk chips if i feel im getting bullied and the  go out within a few hands of the 2nd break.
    Im still learning but have had a few successes in the main 8pm's and 9/9.30/10pm's so im well in profit but consider myself as below average, havent voted as not sure how lol
    I wish i could be mentored, but i dont play consistently enough to be taken seriously
  • edited January 2010
    I have voted for below average even though during the 2 1/2 years I have been playing on Sky I have about £150 profit.
    I only play the low limit STT and a MTT if I have had a good run and can Sat into the main events or play a low entry fee MTT.
    I have cashed in at least one MTT every month for the last 6 months, most of them small amounts, but I have had bigger wins in 4 or 5 which helps with the profit margin.
  • edited January 2010
    This is turning out to be really good.

It's so interesting to see how people interpret how good/bad their own game is. Now here's another thought, how different is each person's view on their own game compared to what others have in their notes about them?
  • edited January 2010
    ive put average but at the moment i cant hit a barn door lol
  • edited January 2010
    No point asking the question, just spend some time on the tables , with chat enabled and you will soon come to the conclusion that everyone on the site is an expert!...........nothing wrong with starting the new yr with some heavily laden tongue in cheek sarcasm  is there ?..lol