You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss.

2»

Comments

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss.:
    It's not a primo specific problem. Although the demise of the primo does mirror the struggles of the site. It's had a huge window of opportunity to beome a serious player in the online poker World. Failed. Badly. :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    and why is this dohhhhh, please explain reasonably cos i will just sound like a to**er if i say why i think.
  • edited May 2014
    For me the buy ins for the decent mtts is way to much money and there are not enough low to mid mtts I do understand that the traffic here effects buy ins and GTD mtts but tonight I came on and see the Primo for £55 far an 8k prize pool and straight away I think what that £55 could get me in elsewhere esp turned into $. Iam not trying to get any1s backs up here and I do like sky poker but as a mtt player I just wish I had more choice other than a load of BH
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : Yeah do online banking. Searched the FAQ on Nationwide, yet still can't locate this info.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I'm with Nationwide.  Look at one of your statements, it's located at the top of any statement.
  • edited May 2014
    The Primo is the ONLY £50 decent structured FO of the whole week. Leave it as it is. As an aside GaryyQQQ, i have sharkscoped the games you play and no disrespect intended but would this changing from a £50FO to a £33 BH really effect you? What about changing every game under £5 to Russian Roulette? any ideas?
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    I'm a low stakes recreational player, always have been, always will be, I make no secret of it. No, I don't buy into £55 games. In fact due to my work hours I rarely play in the evening at all. Therefore I'm in a good position to comment on the matter as a neutral. As the person who posts the tournament results every day I can't help noticing the numbers in front of my face.

For the record I've only played in the Primo twice. Once this year when I binked an all-in sat. Once in 2010 when Sky generously awarded me a free seat. The buy-in then was £33, the field that day was 508, nearly 4x what it was last night.

I don't see what Russian Roulette has to do with this. Though now you say it I wonder how many of the 139 runners last night got in via an all-in lottery satellite? All-in sats and late registration didn't exist back in 2010 when the Primo used to start with over 500 entrants.

In my OP I didn't say the Primo should replaced by a Bounty Hunter, I merely pointed out the big downturn in numbers that have occurred since the change of main event on Saturday nights.

The Primo has been dying a slow death since the buy-in was controversially increased from £33 to £55, that's where the problem lies in my opinion, I was hoping this thread would address that matter.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : I'm a low stakes recreational player, always have been, always will be, I make no secret of it. No, I don't buy into £55 games. In fact due to my work hours I rarely play in the evening at all. Therefore I'm in a good position to comment on the matter as a neutral. As the person who posts the tournament results every day I can't help noticing the numbers in front of my face. For the record I've only played in the Primo twice. Once this year when I binked an all-in sat. Once in 2010 when Sky generously awarded me a free seat. The buy-in then was £33, the field that day was 508, nearly 4x what it was last night. I don't see what Russian Roulette has to do with this. Though now you say it I wonder how many of the 139 runners last night got in via an all-in lottery satellite? All-in sats and late registration didn't exist back in 2010 when the Primo used to start with over 500 entrants. In my OP I didn't say the Primo should replaced by a Bounty Hunter, I merely pointed out the big downturn in numbers that have occurred since the change of main event on Saturday nights. The Primo has been dying a slow death since the buy-in was controversially increased from £33 to £55, that's where the problem lies in my opinion, I was hoping this thread would address that matter.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    You can't argue with these points.
  • edited May 2014
    55 is just too much for a rec player.

Look at the turbo open its still hitting its gtd.

£33 I think it could easily hit 350 to 400 runners but not on a Saturday. Bring it back to Sunday.

Have the roller once a month
    Move the Primo back to Sunday

And what about a 8k gtd 22 buyin BH for the Saturday

Too many of skys main events are way out of people price range.
  • edited May 2014
    Too many of skys main events are way out of people price range.
    Posted by stuarty117
    lets be fair..theres not that many highly priced events, some of the ME's are £10 the rest generally £33. If you cant afford it then play the mini events and work your way up, it should be somthing to strive for to play in if you cant afford it now, not a given.

• edited May 2014
    How can anyone complain about the buy in?? if its out of your bankroll then try and sat in or dont play it. There are 100's of low stake tournaments every single day, where as only a handful of mid/high stake tournaments a week! There HAS to be higher stake tournaments otherwise what can you aim for? 18 months ago I used to dream of being able to play the main events and side events each night. now that im lucky enough to be able to i wish there was higher stake tournaments running so i could have something else to aim for and work towards. Now im having to look at other sites to play on so i can continue to improve my game and my bankroll. So I believe the death of "proper" tournaments like the primo could be the death of tournament players on this site. And we all want this site to get bigger and better right? just because the numbers in bounty hunters are generally higher doesnt mean they are whats best for the site. I think you have to look at the long term and not just be "results orientated"
  • edited May 2014
    +1 to Jordz and Alex.
  • edited May 2014
    I think as someone else mentioned part of the problem is the prestige of the Primo has gone - they don't run a show for it now. When it was £55 on a Sunday it would attract runners because it had a show - and there were also plenty of satellites. Now, nobody with a lower bankroll is that interested in trying to play for it - they'd rather aim to sat into the slightly more expensive but better super roller. 

Also, it's somewhat of a viscious cycle in that the fact there's not many runners makes people not want to play it because the amount they can win is not as big as it used to be. 
  • edited May 2014
    I feel the Primo and it's £55 buy in, maybe suffering from its Saturday night slot.

Then again replace it with another bh and I am even less likely to be playing tournaments on Sky on a Saturday.

For me it's always interesting to have quality tournaments like the Primo, as playing in these events is something to aspire to and get a buzz from.

As numbers are falling and appear destined to remain low through the summer, my suggestion would be, purely for the summer months:

For 3 in 4 Saturdays run the Primo with a £33 buy in with the 4th Saturday a £55 buy in.

Same with the Sunday night rollers, make them £55 buy ins for 3 Sundays with the 4th Sunday a £110 Mega Roller.

With plenty of promotions and satellites running to boost qualification, especially into the higher buy in events.
  • edited May 2014
    I feel the Primo and it's £55 buy in, maybe suffering from its Saturday night slot. Then again replace it with another bh and I am even less likely to be playing tournaments on Sky on a Saturday. For me it's always interesting to have quality tournaments like the Primo, as playing in these events is something to aspire to and get a buzz from. As numbers are falling and appear destined to remain low through the summer, my suggestion would be, purely for the summer months: For 3 in 4 Saturdays run the Primo with a £33 buy in with the 4th Saturday a £55 buy in. Same with the Sunday night rollers, make them £55 buy ins for 3 Sundays with the 4th Sunday a £110 Mega Roller. With plenty of promotions and satellites running to boost qualification, especially into the higher buy in events.
    Posted by TheDart
    Yeah but then the knock off effect will be lower guarentees. so before you know it its the £4k primo, the £8k high roller, and 50% of the player base has left as theres no proper tournies left. careful what you wish for.

If you cant afford it, use the satetlites, thats what i always used to do, and still do, these roulette sats dont even require skill !!!! stop complaining everyone 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : Yeah but then the knock off effect will be lower guarentees. so before you know it its the £4k primo, the £8k high roller, and 50% of the player base has left as theres no proper tournies left. careful what you wish for. If you cant afford it, use the satetlites, thats what i always used to do, and still do, these roulette sats dont even require skill !!!! stop complaining everyone 
    Posted by alex1229

As the words stop complaining everyone where made within a reply to my post.

For clarification, I am not complaining.

Fot that matter I don't think everyone is complaining on this thread, to the contrary there is some good constructive comments.

I remain a big fan of the Primo and Rollers, I like the structures and will always be keen to play them, whatever the buy in or guarantee.

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : Yeah but then the knock off effect will be lower guarentees. so before you know it its the £4k primo, the £8k high roller, and 50% of the player base has left as theres no proper tournies left. careful what you wish for. If you cant afford it, use the satetlites, thats what i always used to do, and still do, these roulette sats dont even require skill !!!! stop complaining everyone 
    Posted by alex1229
    This isn't necessarily true though. Like Gary said, 3-4 years ago the buy in was £33 and it used to attract 500+ runners. That's a £15k prizepool.

I agree that moving the primo to the Saturday night slot hasn't helped either. So, what are the options? Leave it as it is? Well that clearly isn't working so why not at least trial reducing the buy in back to £33 and see if player numbers increase??

It makes no odds to me because both £33 and £55 buy ins are too pricy for me and I only play when I sat in, but it would be a real shame if it got to the stage where the Primo (which not that long ago was Sky's biggest and best mtt) got dropped.
  • edited May 2014
    I think as someone else mentioned part of the problem is the prestige of the Primo has gone - they don't run a show for it now. When it was £55 on a Sunday it would attract runners because it had a show - and there were also plenty of satellites. Now, nobody with a lower bankroll is that interested in trying to play for it - they'd rather aim to sat into the slightly more expensive but better super roller.  Also, it's somewhat of a viscious cycle in that the fact there's not many runners makes people not want to play it because the amount they can win is not as big as it used to be. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    the 3 events on the TV shows should be the 12K BH the super roller and the primo because it's on TV days that the most players will join the MTTs "especially the recs".

the turbo event itself should be the one that is used on the day you get the fewest number of players (which sounds like Saturday) also why not start it off at 7pm then it will be likely to finish in time for everyone to get a chance to go out with their mates for a drink, something that is a problem with the primo.

edit: the length of the MTT itself is another problem as it will mean a late night on Saturday, so why waste money in this MTT when tomorrow their is an even better MTT and ok it might be an even bigger buy in but those who buy into these events will normally manage to buy into the super roller too. so as we can't reduce how long it goes on for why not move it.

so why not make it like this
    Monday-10K BH
    Tuesday-12K BH
    Wednesday-rebuy
    Thursday-primo  as some will still be tired from the super roller on sunday so won't want another late night on Tuesday.
    Friday- 10K BH and start it at 7pm as these MTTs can finish in 4 hours so they will have time to go out for a drink at 11pm
    Saturday- turbo start at 7pm as this is sure to finish by 11pm and most will be able to watch MOTD or go out with friends.
    sunday- super/mega roller.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : This isn't necessarily true though. Like Gary said, 3-4 years ago the buy in was £33 and it used to attract 500+ runners. That's a £15k prizepool. I agree that moving the primo to the Saturday night slot hasn't helped either. So, what are the options? Leave it as it is? Well that clearly isn't working so why not at least trial reducing the buy in back to £33 and see if player numbers increase?? It makes no odds to me because both £33 and £55 buy ins are too pricy for me and I only play when I sat in, but it would be a real shame if it got to the stage where the Primo (which not that long ago was Sky's biggest and best mtt) got dropped.
    Posted by waller02
    The poker world has changed since 3-4 years ago, theres a lot less liquidity in rooms so i wouldnt read to much into that, summer and as others have said maybe becasue its a saturday night, and lots of the players go out doesnt help. I'd personally stick it during the week and get it on Sky TV rather then than that midweek Turbo open tourny
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : lets be fair..theres not that many highly priced events, some of the ME's are £10 the rest generally £33. If you cant afford it then play the mini events and work your way up, it should be somthing to strive for to play in if you cant afford it now, not a given.
    Posted by alex1229

I totally agree with BRM what I am getting at is to play a decent BRM here you need a lot off money in your bankroll. I play on other sites and iam a bit of a BR nit and stick to around 100 buy ins which stops me going broke so for me to reg play the mains I would need around £3000/£4000 mark or I wouldn't feel comfortable hence why I will only try to sat into mains here. I understand the buy ins here have to be a bit more pricey otherwise sky would be loosing a lot in overlay
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Should the Saturday evening Primo be dropped? Discuss. : Yeah do online banking. Searched the FAQ on Nationwide, yet still can't locate this info.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

mate, im with them. go into statements and download it and its right above where your balance etc start. you want me to post a copy of mine on fb?
  • edited May 2014
    I like Craig's idea. Would love main events to start earlier, we have late reg so getting numbers shouldn't be a problem. 
  • edited May 2014
    Imo, the main reason for the primo demise is that its no longer on tv.. I think £55 games need tv coverage with tikaays hype to get the 400 runners we want.   Dont think we can compare numbers with a tv tournie on a sunday with a non tv tournie on a saturday.. Just because it has the same name