You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call?

edited April 2014 in The Poker Clinic
ness4 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £30.12
mrdavies Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £76.40
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

wobblylegs Call   £0.30 £0.75 £27.65
boroboy17 Raise   £0.90 £1.65 £70.30
ness4 Fold        
mrdavies Raise   £2.40 £4.05 £74.00
wobblylegs Call   £2.40 £6.45 £25.25
boroboy17 All-in   £70.30 £76.75 £0.00

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hadnt played any hands with him & he hardly played any hands at all, so can do nothing readless.. Is it only Aces here?!
  • edited April 2014
    say lol, move mouse over call button, hit call button. I wouldnt say its a snap call, but its a call. 
  • edited April 2014
    Also if its aces make a note. And assess how he plays aces, queens, AK etc in later spots 
  • edited April 2014
    QQ or JJ and hates his hand..... so shoves!?!
  • edited April 2014
    with us so deep just feels like hes made a extreme bet for me to call and then he turns over aces!!

i got stung on another table few minutes earlier with AK into AA which i snap called - so was scourned from that too lol... just don't know. gotta call it i think, just interested in opinions
  • edited April 2014
    These days, regs at these limits just don't commit 250bb pre without AA.

This shove is so ridiculously unbalanced. Readless I would assume villain flats QQ/JJ/AK and 5-bets exclusively KK/AA for value.

Considering the sizing it's pretty much never a bluff so it's AA or KK imo. Kinda hard for it to be KK!

Got no problem with folding here tbh.
  • edited April 2014
    Sorry not sure if I saw that right? Did you say he had aces?

• edited April 2014
    Don't know what he had as he didnt show. If i call and he shows aces i just feel an idiot cos thats all it can be, then in the next breathe im thinking AK thats the only 2 hands
  • edited April 2014
    also my raise isnt big enough for him to put me on kings.. so im thinking he just wants to tak ethe pot down there and then lol...
  • edited April 2014
    U folded??

Amazing, thats really bad play :/

You cant let what happened to you a few mins earlier base your judgement, no way he played ACES like that
  • edited April 2014
    I think it probably is a fold but in game i probably call cos im not good enough to fold KK pre. But people dont really 4bet shove 250bb bluffing if he is not bluffing he is doing it for value what hands could he be value betting here. I think if he is tight i think a fold here is probably the right move
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call?:
    U folded?? Amazing, thats really bad play :/ You cant let what happened to you a few mins earlier base your judgement, no way he played ACES like that
    Posted by alex1229
    Lol no way a reg plays JJ/AK like that 250bb deep...
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call? : Lol no way a reg plays JJ/AK like that 250bb deep...
    Posted by 77Chris91
    No way a "reg" shoves for £80 with £3 in the pot with AA

So lets not this guy out to be some kind of professional.

This is a play with 10's, AK, AQ, JJ, QQ. Hes got a strong hand but is scared of a bad flop and then having to fold so hes just chucked it in doing it the easy way for a coin toss.

NO WAY DOES HE HAVE AA.

Urgh, you have the 2nd best starting hand this is a snap call all day long.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call? : Lol no way a reg plays JJ/AK like that 250bb deep...
    Posted by 77Chris91
    At no point did OP say that opponent was a reg. Also, there is no way a good reg ever plays AA like this (w/o a specifc read that Hero only raises big PP's and is v likely to call a 250bb shove with TT-KK and AK/AQ) 

I also like to think about these hands this way: Calling can't be that bad, and if it is then it's not by much. Had villain played his aces in the correct fashion and made a normal 3-bet with them then chances are we could still lose our entire stack with KK here. So opponent playing this way has meant he has lost out on a ton of value - sure, it might have worked this time because we had KK but overall we're going to be making money from this opponent that we don't need to worry about this call being wrong here. Just take a note and if you see him make the same play twice with aces you'll now have a solid read on how he plays aces.
  • edited April 2014
    Villain has hardly played a hand yet.
    Villain has 250bb
    Villain has made a standard sized 3-bet.

Ofc this is not a great deal of info but if I had to guess I'd say there a nitty reg (Not saying good or bad.)

I'm well aware that calling can't be bad. Obv GTO wise it's a snap.

Just think if you have a decent edge there's no need to take this spot for 250bb.

We block KK. How many assumed nitty regs will do this with QQ/AK this deep? Virtually none imo.

• edited April 2014
    Villain has hardly played a hand yet. Villain has 250bb Villain has made a standard sized 3-bet. Ofc this is not a great deal of info but if I had to guess I'd say there a nitty reg (Not saying good or bad.) I'm well aware that calling can't be bad. Obv GTO wise it's a snap. Just think if you have a decent edge there's no need to take this spot for 250bb. We block KK. How many assumed nitty regs will do this with QQ/AK this deep? Virtually none imo.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Prior to this i would have used a site to gain some info on the player

And having done so i would have realised said player was not a "nitty reg"

Hes called boroboy for crying out loud!!!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call? : Prior to this i would have used a site to gain some info on the player And having done so i would have realised said player was not a "nitty reg" Hes called boroboy for crying out loud!!!
    Posted by alex1229
    Tbh the more I think about it we kinda gotta call. Still don't think folding is terrible though.

Don't think SSing anyone will give you much info relevant to their cash abilities.

Alias tell made me laugh!!
  • edited April 2014
    @ f-ivanovic.

Quality post. Plus even if he has aa we can suck out 20% of the time:)
  • edited April 2014
    Well i did fold :-/ and the more I think about it the worse it seems. BUT, having said that my gut feeling at the time was he has ACES and I like to go with my gut feeling
  • edited April 2014
    Hmmm, really tough spot. I think i'd be making an extremely tight fold here, 200BB's deep this just screams AA. I just don't see him doing this with any other hand.
  • edited April 2014
    I would be calling and being pretty happy about it even if he turns over AA.  Never folding readless

Take a note for sure, but it's not much use unless you know he doesn't do it with other big hands
  • edited April 2014
    Id have spent my £70 quid im about to win before id even press the call button
  • edited April 2014
    Shoving 230 big blinds into a pot of 21 big blinds is rarely aces, and even if it is, you should almost always be happy to get it all in pre with kings anyway... whether it is right away, or goes raise-raise-raise-raise-all in.
  • edited April 2014
    Id have spent my £70 quid im about to win before id even press the call button
    Posted by alex1229
    Really? So we are 100% winning this hand? 

Also I can not believe you say this is NEVER aces. I have seen this play lots of times, often just open shoving with AA. It happens, and a lot more than you give credit for. Not saying it is right but it happens. 

I don't hate the fold at all, perfectly reasonable for how deep we are compared to what's invested. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Seems A dull question, but is this ALWAYS a snap call? : Really? So we are 100% winning this hand?  Also I can not believe you say this is NEVER aces. I have seen this play lots of times, often just open shoving with AA. It happens, and a lot more than you give credit for. Not saying it is right but it happens.  I don't hate the fold at all, perfectly reasonable for how deep we are compared to what's invested. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    100% winning this hand? no dont be silly !!

120% 
  • edited April 2014
    Never folding !! if its aces its a cooler... I dont see why any1 would ship aces for value in this spot! maybe he was just a maniac, I have seen ppl play ak this way purely because they are not competent enough to play through the streets... SNAP and move on if its aces..... I think there is a case for folding kk pre but this spot is definatly not 1 of them!
  • edited April 2014
    If I put this madman on a hand it be ak. Iv seem them plays hands like that many times. 
  • edited April 2014
    let me think have i ever folded KK pre.......hmmmmmm NOOOOOOOOO.....
  • edited April 2014
    Surely AA is never shoving this 

Snapping that call button.
  • edited April 2014
    Yesterday I shoved in a similar hand, not exactly the same tho.
    This is why I shoved KK -
    I wanted to re-raise to around £24 when I realised TDs stack is around £42, would he call off half his stack? would he re-raise all in when my raise was so strong? What would look weaker to him?
    If he just called would I be able to get the other £18 off him if the board was low? Should an A come would I still get it all in?
    Shoving all in looks weak and it's psychologically easier to press call on an all in rather than have to re-raise all in or call knowing/thinking someone was strong.
    TD had joined the table about 10 hands before and in those hands I had raised and won pre-flop maybe 5 times, so I was hoping he would think I was a LAG.
    So what did he put me on when I shoved. I was hoping a frustrated 66/77/88/99/1010/JJ or a chancer with A10/AJ/AQ.

but I would have snap called in your hand :)
    My KK hand below -