You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

collusion

edited April 2014 in Poker Chat

this site could be rife with collusion twice today in £11 dym's someone checked  (2 different players) last to act with nut full house surely they should bet something cant be frightened of the other players having checked quads

Comments

• edited April 2014
    That's not really collusion unless they have explicitly said something to the other person and also it is actually good strategy because it gives them more chance to win the DYM.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to collusion:
    this site could be rife with collusion twice today in £11 dym's someone checked  (2 different players) last to act with nut full house surely they should bet something cant be frightened of the other players having checked quads
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Hi Sunny.
    Checking down when a player is all-in in a DYM is pretty standard. I don't know where it came from, but there seems to be an unwritten rule that once the short stack is all-in, then we check it down, firstly to give us more chance to knock out the shorty & secondly so we don't risk any more of our own stack whilst trying to do so.

You are not obliged to follow any unwritten rules though, but don't expect the opposition to do you any favours in future hands if you bet into a pot when a player is all in.

It's not collusion - it's common sense imo.

Tournaments & Bounty Hunters are a different matter though.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion:
    In Response to collusion : Hi Sunny. Checking down when a player is all-in in a DYM is pretty standard. I don't know where it came from, but there seems to be an unwritten rule that once the short stack is all-in, then we check it down, firstly to give us more chance to knock out the shorty & secondly so we don't risk any more of our own stack whilst trying to do so. You are not obliged to follow any unwritten rules though, but don't expect the opposition to do you any favours in future hands if you bet into a pot when a player is all in. It's not collusion - it's common sense imo. Tournaments & Bounty Hunters are a different matter though.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    your saying when there are 2 players left in pot its right to check back a full house
  • edited April 2014
    That's not really collusion unless they have explicitly said something to the other person and also it is actually good strategy because it gives them more chance to win the DYM.
    Posted by tom_mull
    surely taking the other players chips will help you cash in a dym not checking back your full house
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : surely taking the other players chips will help you cash in a dym not checking back your full house
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Depends how many players are left. If you are 5 handed then you should be betting but if are 4 handed then there is no value in betting because there is no value in picking up extra chips. 
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : Depends how many players are left. If you are 5 handed then you should be betting but if are 4 handed then there is no value in betting because there is no value in picking up extra chips. 
    Posted by tom_mull
    you might wanna read what you have just said there again

you are betting the nut fullhouse = picking up extra chips when called = increased stacksize = less chance of bubbling = value.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to collusion : Hi Sunny. Checking down when a player is all-in in a DYM is pretty standard. I don't know where it came from, but there seems to be an unwritten rule that once the short stack is all-in, then we check it down, firstly to give us more chance to knock out the shorty & secondly so we don't risk any more of our own stack whilst trying to do so. You are not obliged to follow any unwritten rules though, but don't expect the opposition to do you any favours in future hands if you bet into a pot when a player is all in. It's not collusion - it's common sense imo. Tournaments & Bounty Hunters are a different matter though.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    where does he state anybody's all in? i must be reading this whole thread wrong, from what i can see he dosent mention how many players are left or at what stage the game is at, he just says someone has checked back the nut fullhouse in 2 of his games today?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : you might wanna read what you have just said there again you are betting the nut fullhouse = picking up extra chips when called = increased stacksize = less chance of bubbling = value.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Not quite.

Tom said......

".....if are 4 handed then there is no value in betting because there is no value in picking up extra chips..."

Which is correct. The all-in shortie is about to bust, (the two big stacks both have a house), leaving three players, at which stage the game is over. I'd never bet in that spot in a million years.

FIVE handed, yes, as Tom also noted, that would be different.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to collusion:
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Hi Sunny,

Sorry you've had a bad experience, but if you suspect collusion, please report it to Customer Care.

Please be aware that it is almost impossible (in fact, personally, I'd suggest it IS impossible) to prove collusion based on such a small sample size of 2 hands, or games. There can be any number of wholly legit reasons why they checked it down, including those suggested in the thread, but also many other reasons. You don't really give enough information in the OP to prove or disprove anything. (How many players left, stack sizes, including how many the all-in man has, da de da).

Great care is needed in these situations - imagine if the boot were on the other foot, & someone accused YOU of colluding. You'd expect the site to ensure you were fairly treated, & quite rightly so.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : where does he state anybody's all in? i must be reading this whole thread wrong, from what i can see he dosent mention how many players are left or at what stage the game is at, he just says someone has checked back the nut fullhouse in 2 of his games today?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    in the first occasion it was heads up 5 players left on a 10 10 6 6 5 board & he checked back with a 10 ... 2nd time it was 4 handed on a A j 10 10 9 board & he checked back with A 10 ok its not the nuts but should of bet IMO  v KQ man with A 10 had 4k v 1k ...
  • edited April 2014
    Yep agree with the above. The first thread doesnt give us enough info. If its on the bubble your sole aim is to knock the short stack out so no value in betting if you have the nuts on the flop simply because the nuts on the flop may not be the nuts on the river so why bet post flop or post turn?

Also if its not on the bubble you may check to deceive your opponent. If I hit a full house on the flop there are occasions I will check, for deception or playing aggro players for example.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : Not quite. Tom said...... ".....if are 4 handed then there is no value in betting because there is no value in picking up extra chips..." Which is correct. The all-in shortie is about to bust, (the two big stacks both have a house), leaving three players, at which stage the game is over. I'd never bet in that spot in a million years. FIVE handed, yes, as Tom also noted, that would be different.
    Posted by Tikay10
     no player was all in just 2 players playing out the hand
  • edited April 2014
    I think collusion is more when big stack raises and when re reaised by small amount the big stack folds. That sort of play I would be more concerned about ie. passing chips.

Checking the best hand cannot be really seen as collusion because yor not passing the chips.
  • edited April 2014
    I think collusion is more when big stack raises and when re reaised by small amount the big stack folds. That sort of play I would be more concerned about ie. passing chips. Checking the best hand cannot be really seen as collusion because yor not passing the chips.
    Posted by gerardirl
    your not knocking the other player out either you leave a player with 800 chips he will surely come back & bite you
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion :  no player was all in just 2 players playing out the hand
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Ahh, now we are getting the extra information that is needed.

It remains the case, however, as I stated, that there COULD be legit reasons for their play. Or they could be colluding.

It is absolutely impossible to prove, based on 2 hands.

Send the Hand IDs to Customer Care, & they'll investigate it properly, & look at longer-term betting patterns of the players concerned over a proper sample size.

Customer Care is the way to sort it. I'll send the Thread up to the Suits, too, for you.  

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : your not knocking the other player out either you leave a player with 800 chips he will surely come back & bite you
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Well we don't know the Blinds, as you have not told us, but generally, if there is a shortie on the table, the Big Stacks don't go to war, it just makes no sense. 

If I had the big stack here, & the Blinds were (say) 150-300, I'd not be getting aggro, as I don't need to.

I WOULD get aggro head up with the shortie, though. Or any other stack EXCEPT the big stack.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : Not quite. Tom said...... ".....if are 4 handed then there is no value in betting because there is no value in picking up extra chips..." Which is correct. The all-in shortie is about to bust, (the two big stacks both have a house), leaving three players, at which stage the game is over. I'd never bet in that spot in a million years. FIVE handed, yes, as Tom also noted, that would be different.
    Posted by Tikay10
    yeah but now that is just a whole different situation. it dosent state anywhere in the op that anybody is about to bust and that anybody is all in. it just states that someone has checked back the nut house.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : in the first occasion it was heads up 5 players left on a 10 10 6 6 5 board & he checked back with a 10 ... 2nd time it was 4 handed on a A j 10 10 9 board & he checked back with A 10 ok its not the nuts but should of bet IMO  v KQ man with A 10 had 4k v 1k ...
    Posted by sunnyhil03
    Neither player in either case had the stone cold nuts.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : it dosent state anywhere in the op that anybody is about to bust and that anybody is all in. 
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Is...CORRECT.

However, Tom QUALIFIED his reply by saying IF.........there were 5 players (OK to bet) or 4 players (not OK to bet).

He had to qualify it (& did) as the OP did not give sufficient information. He can't expect a clear reply if he does not give the pertinent facts.

We just CANNOT judge these things from where we sit, & 2 hands is not adequate evidence. It IS enough to justify the Suits investigating the 2 players betting patterns over a larger sample size though.

OP just needs to send the info - ALL the info, including Hand Numbers - to Customer Care.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : where does he state anybody's all in? i must be reading this whole thread wrong, from what i can see he dosent mention how many players are left or at what stage the game is at, he just says someone has checked back the nut fullhouse in 2 of his games today?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    The situation that he described usually occurs when one player is all in with 4 players remaining.
  • ommomm
    edited April 2014
    Gotta say it is unusual play, but neither player had the nuts and they may be absolute nits. DYM's play differently to normal stt or mtt's. Def keep an eye on it but don't get too consumed. Most players are genuine. 
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Calm down young man or old man whichever may be the case :)

I was giving an example of why a player would or might check down, not a the exact reason for it happening in OPs 2 instance, cause like you said we don't have enough information, but by giving an example to the OP of where or when this sort of thing may happen, then he may better understand if that is what has happened in his own case.

Rather than critiquing forum members that have responded to OP's issue and are clearly only trying to help with the limited information we have been given, Why not respond to OP and enlighten him to your vast knowledge & wisdom?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : The situation that he described usually occurs when one player is all in with 4 players remaining.
    Posted by tom_mull
    thats not how im reading it, obviously if someones all in then its common sence to check it down and elimante him/her but this could be level 2 for all we know 2 people have bust early and the other four remaining all have a bit of play left. i give up with this thread anyway, its all ifs buts and maybes. i feel dizzy and my mince and taties is ready.

any chance of the hand history please original poster. would make life a whole lot simpler.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : Calm down young man or old man whichever may be the case :) I was giving an example of why a player would or might check down, not a the exact reason for it happening in OPs 2 instance, cause like you said we don't have enough information, but by giving an example to the OP of where or when this sort of thing may happen, then he may better understand if that is what has happened in his own case. Rather than critiquing forum members that have responding to OP's issue and are clearly only trying to help with the limited information we have been given, Why not respond to OP and enlighten him to your vast knowledge & wisdom?
    Posted by POKERTREV
    im very calm and im 27 so neither young or old. were do i critsize you i merely ask you a question, is it the time of the month or are you normally this moody?
  • edited April 2014

Everyone can bat this back & forth forever, but it will not resolve a thing. Nobody on the Forum has sufficient evidence to prove or disprove anything. Even the 2 HH's won't be enough, as we simply don't know why they checked. There are any number of legit reasons, as well as, possibly, genuine collusion.

It can ONLY be resolved by sending the necessary information - ALL of it, not selective bits - to Customer Care, & they'll pass it to Security/Fraud guys.

I'll send it to them, too, as I've already stated.

I can understand OP's angst, but nobody on the Forum is in a position to fairly judge the matter.

• edited April 2014
    Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse.
    Critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgement

Regarding your age......

With the limited information I have, which is "Your Name" = TheRock573 - I could assume you are 41 years of age  "THE ROCK" aka wayne Johnson - age 41 Born May 2nd 1972 - an actor and semi-retirerd wrestle :)

ps. I am in a mood btw :)

Hope you enjoyed your Mince & Tatties Mmmmmmm - I love mince & tatties :)
  • edited April 2014
    What is collusion? Collusion is often equated with cheating, but they are very different things

In a reasonable assessment of the examples given, the players colluded. To argue otherwise is sophistry. 
    But they did not cheat.

• edited April 2014
    What is collusion? Collusion is often equated with cheating, but they are very different things In a reasonable assessment of the examples given, the players colluded. To argue otherwise is sophistry.  But they did not cheat.
    Posted by BigBluster
    I think you will find collusion most certainly is cheating.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : I think you will find collusion most certainly is cheating.
    Posted by HiJoker
    +1.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: collusion : I think you will find collusion most certainly is cheating.
    Posted by HiJoker
    When two players, with nothing said, check it down to eliminate a player on the bubble of a satellite, they are working together i.e they are colluding, by any English definition of the word. But they are not cheating.