You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 1st Coaching Vid Uploaded

2»

Comments

• edited May 2014
    are they all raking the monies?

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed:
    huh ?
    Posted by imallin24
    Don't huh, Donk, I know for a fact it's you cos you admitted it on FB. Gotta find some way round the system when you self exclude tho eh
  • edited May 2014
    lol imallin and face book admitting:)
  • edited May 2014
    Will try to get these thrown up on Tues or Weds on a break at work. Still can't get hands to post properly via the browser(s) I use at home.
  • edited May 2014
    Hey guys, sorry about the delays with this. I'm just currently in the middle of a mad rush to finish 2nd in the UKPC rake race to win a UKPC seat so putting 100% of my time into the grind. Once the 15th May is over, I'll be free and get all 3 of you sorted.
  • edited May 2014
    No probs. I'm currently on holiday in Greece anyway (thanks to my poker winnings!) and won't be back until Sunday. And update your blog! :)
  • edited May 2014
    Nice thread and classy touch Paul. 

Nice one. 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed:
    No probs. I'm currently on holiday in Greece anyway (thanks to my poker winnings!) and won't be back until Sunday. And update your blog! :)
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Holidays in Greece? That's some run good.

Where are you mate?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Holidays in Greece? That's some run good. Where are you mate?
    Posted by GreekWay
    Thanks. Ixia in Rhodes for a week. 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Thanks. Ixia in Rhodes for a week. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Sounds nice. Enjoy mate.

I feel I am in the wrong country. I start to feel homesick now. :)
  • edited May 2014
    Hey guys, sorry about the delays with this. I'm just currently in the middle of a mad rush to finish 2nd in the UKPC rake race to win a UKPC seat so putting 100% of my time into the grind. Once the 15th May is over, I'll be free and get all 3 of you sorted.
    Posted by Lambert180
    You mean you aren't just dropping everything in life to prioritise giving your time and knowledge away, for free, to three people that you don't even know beyond an avatar on a message board?

Absolute disgrace :)

ATB with the grind!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Sounds nice. Enjoy mate. I feel I am in the wrong country. I start to feel homesick now. :)
    Posted by GreekWay
    Nice? You joking? It's not nice at all!

It's amazing! :)

Been to Greece 5 times now and never get tired. Weather beautiful, island beautiful and the people are the nicest! I will retire here one day! Hopefully after I win the WSOP or something! 

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Nice? You joking? It's not nice at all! It's amazing! :) Been to Greece 5 times now and never get tired. Weather beautiful, island beautiful and the people are the nicest! I will retire here one day! Hopefully after I win the WSOP or something! 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    hAHA, 
    IF I win big, and end up in greece, I'd invite you a-board my yacht for a drink...Ouzo anyone?
  • edited May 2014
    Hey guys, sorry again, I deffo get the award for being the most useless layabout for not sorting this out earlier. The UKPC promo was all consuming, then I just felt completely burnt out and didn't wanna think about poker, then a patch of runbad made me wanna think about it even less lol. We're good to go now though...

Can all 3 of you PM me (or post here if you don't mind it being public) your Skype names and I will add you, and also let me know here (or by PM) when you are available to do the 1hr session. Fwiw the best times for me really are 10am - 2pm and 8pm - midnight, if you can't fit into either of them slots, then I'll sort something out to do a different time that suits you but they're the ideal times for me.

Got Camtasia all set up to record the sessions.

Format is going to be... we'll go thru your 8 hands talking over microphones on Skype. I'll allow you to see my screen using a programme called JoinMe (you don't need to download anything, you just view it in your browser), and I'll be scrolling through the HHs on my screen so that we can both see them and they can be recorded so that it makes sense to someone viewing the video to see the HH alongside the talking.
  • edited May 2014
    I'm free pretty much any day of the week, even as early as tomorrow afternoon/evening. Let's get this going
  • edited May 2014
    Game on!

I can be added via michaeljhinde

Monday or Tuesday after 8pm would seem best, an evening where the tables may be a bit quieter than usual and you don't miss much by looking through hands for an hour instead?
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah good thinking. I don't mind doing it on a busier night like but yeah Monday/Tuesday is probably best. I just added you on Skype.

How about 9pm ish? Let me know if Monday or Tuesday is better, I don't mind either way.
  • edited June 2014
    Hey - im just trying to sort out Skype and I will get back to you. Cant get it for my mac (not sure why) but will get it on my ipad and let you know details. As for a time then either Friday night or Sunday morning would be best. 

Thanks.

Edit: all done. My Skype name is Craig_SG1. 
  • edited June 2014
    Sorted, 9pm Tuesday it is.
  • edited June 2014
    Hey guys, sorry again, I deffo get the award for being the most useless layabout for not sorting this out earlier. The UKPC promo was all consuming, then I just felt completely burnt out and didn't wanna think about poker, then a patch of runbad made me wanna think about it even less lol. We're good to go now though... Can all 3 of you PM me (or post here if you don't mind it being public) your Skype names and I will add you, and also let me know here (or by PM) when you are available to do the 1hr session. Fwiw the best times for me really are 10am - 2pm and 8pm - midnight, if you can't fit into either of them slots, then I'll sort something out to do a different time that suits you but they're the ideal times for me. Got Camtasia all set up to record the sessions. Format is going to be... we'll go thru your 8 hands talking over microphones on Skype. I'll allow you to see my screen using a programme called JoinMe (you don't need to download anything, you just view it in your browser), and I'll be scrolling through the HHs on my screen so that we can both see them and they can be recorded so that it makes sense to someone viewing the video to see the HH alongside the talking.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Paul

I've been away so not been online since Sunday. I've just got back and really tired so today is not good.

I've got another day of tomorrow (Wednesday) so that's good for me. If not this Sunday or any time next week as its Cornwall Show Thursday to Saturday.

I will try and set up Skype account later today.

Yours

Darryn
  • edited June 2014
    Don,t want to put a downer on a positive thread but as a forum reg shouldn,t you be reporting ppl who multi-account ( i don,t know -you may have done). I know theres cpls etc who play on here fairly but the person in question is now taking the pi ss imo 
  • edited June 2014
    Don,t want to put a downer on a positive thread but as a forum reg shouldn,t you be reporting ppl who multi-account ( i don,t know -you may have done). I know theres cpls etc who play on here fairly but the person in question is now taking the pi ss imo 
    Posted by MP33
    Who?

• edited June 2014
    MP33, who?

If you're implying that one of the 3 people I'm offering coaching to is multi-accounting then I had no idea about it. I assume you must be cos otherwise I don't see what it's got to do with the thread I started here ...

I generally do report all multi accounting fwiw, although if you've seen evidence of it to the point where it's taking the pi $$, then just report it yourself. I'm not a mod, I'm not the only one who can do it... but I still don't know who you mean.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Stop making new accounts on Sky IDONKCALLU
    Posted by Lambert180
    Unless i,ve misundertood
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Giveaway - Free Microstakes Cash Coaching --- 3 Candidates Confirmed : Don't huh, Donk, I know for a fact it's you cos you admitted it on FB. Gotta find some way round the system when you self exclude tho eh
    Posted by Lambert180
    I,m no Columbo but its on this thread
  • edited June 2014
    Oh, well yeah think it's safe to say I outed him here, maybe I shouldn't have done it here. I did report him too but IIRC I've had a zero success rate of reporting people and seeing anything happen to them. I assumed you meant one of the 3 people being coached cos you'd posted on this thread and I'd completely forgot about those posts on earlier pages.

As I say though, if it's blatantly obvious (which imo it is), then feel free to report himself yourself too. 
  • edited June 2014
    I completed the first coaching session tonight with Shakinaces. Took a bit longer than expected but then he gave 10 (as oppose to 8) hands and I wanted to go through them all, and also bits and bobs of basic/general strat to discuss.

I felt like it went well but Shakin is really the guy that can confirm that or not, in terms of how helpful he felt it was.

The video is rendering now and looks like it's gonna take some time, so will probably upload it to Youtube in the morning (cos I know that'll take ages) and then I'll post a link up here.
  • edited June 2014
    Well this video business has been a massive brainache!!

For some reason, my recording software picked up Shakin's voice at a tiny tiny volume even though I had the speakers turned up quite high on my comp so it was coming out loud to me. I've tried isolating them parts of the vid and increasing the volume but I just can't get it anywhere near audible. Thankfully I did 95%+ of the talking so not much is lost, but there are a few patches of what seems like 'dead air' but that's because Shakin is talking and you can't hear it lol. Annoying, but this is my first go at anything like this and it's still turned out ok, but will be more prepared for next time.

Next issue was that I spent an age waiting for it to render, then a further age uploading it to Youtube just for it to complete and Youtube tell me the video is too long so it failed lol. Had to verifiy my account with Youtube apparently which I've now done so I'm allowed to upload longer vids and have just finished waiting a 3rd age for it to upload again.

Bit shaky at times but it's my first go so the only way is up ;)

Tilllttttt, it's just uploaded and for some reason the quality has come up alot worse than it was so it's pretty hard to see the cards :(

I'm gonna share the link with you all now and you can watch as is, but I'm going to upload it again when I get a chance and fiddle with the quality to make it clearer.

• edited June 2014
    To re-post the relevant segment from my diary post...

The coaching session was really useful - despite my efforts and having gotten the occasional (normally half drunk) SNG going among some of my friends and family, no-one I know is really into poker and it's therefore not a topic I ever get to discuss with others. So even aside from everything else it was a huge help just to be able to talk things through with someone else that also loves the game and evidently can happily chat poker for a good length of time!

Lambert has the bonus of having spent such a decent time, still relatively recently, at the levels that many of us on here (including me) are trying not just to consistently beat but also to gain an increasing enjoyment for through learning and improving our game.

That experience obviously adds that much more credence to the advice on offer and provides useful logic to apply when back at the tables.... I'm having phone connection issues at the moment (would never happen if I still had an iPhone!) but if I could I'd be adding the picture to show the 'bet' / 'fold' reminder stickers that were added to the side of my laptop yesterday.

From a technical aspect, the method of reviewing hands on Sky / join me screen made it a bit challenging to card read at times. A lot of middling-cards were blurred such that it was hard to distinguise 2/5/6/9 - plus obviously it's not as sophisticated as the tools available on other sites where you can replay the hand one action at a time... I don't know that there is a way around that though, short of having recorded the hand live and somehow then being able to use that clip... perhaps I need to have a play with that myself one day!

And from a personal point of view, I hadn't realised how many hands I'd (foolishly) put up that had the legendary BAGGPUSS at my table... as much as Lambert's coaching was useful to improve my overall game, the dynamics of being at those tables invariably made for incorrect 'standard' micro cash play... at least that's my excuse for (rightly in the context of the coaching) having my mistakes flagged in those hands :)

So thank you very much to Lambert for donating his time to help steer me back on to the right course - I hope from your side you also saw it as a useful way to spend some of his time, be it from a coaching point of view (which I'm sure from my experience you will do a great job at, potentially building a well-earned supplement to the poker income) and / or from a self-learning point of view... I know from experience at work that sometimes my own skills are sharpened just by getting to coach others in a subject, so hopefully you get the same benefit from your first formal experience of coaching a (hopefully improving) poker novice!
  • edited June 2014
    I know ist your first try at this . It just seems a bit strange watching a Hand history picture instead of watching it been played out from a webcam or something. It would be interesting to see someone you are coaching giving their reasons for moves and plays as well, although can undertstand that if they are a reg on here they don,t want to be telling ppl what their reads are and what they,re thinking for obv reasons.

Will keep an eye out for future vids tho

I think it was The don90 who posted some vids from another site with a host of sky regs all commenting at the same time on each move which was pretty interesting. That was MTT,s