You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Maths

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
whats the best way to get better at maths? i left school with terrible grades and im contemplating resitting my GCSE'S at college, waste of time doing this? should i just get a private tutor?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    If you just want to get better at all aspects of maths then i'd look at evening classes or something down that route but if you just want to learn about the kind of maths you will need for making decisions in poker then id look at a tutor or a pro who is very good at that side of the game, if you redo your entire GCSE's you will be doing, algebra, shapes, graphs etc which wont benefit your game at all but i guess they are always good things to know
  • edited April 2014
    Maybe a private tutor would be the way to go so they can tailor it to your specific needs?

I'm sure Ivan will be along it a minute to give better advice! :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Yeah I'd recommend a video series on DeucesCracked called something like 'The Maths of Poker'... it's by WiltOnTilt...

Teaches you all about working out percentages, converting them to ratios for pot odds etc. Then goes into more info about tons of maths related stuff for poker like G bucks.

Deffo worth watching that first cos u can get it free if u just sign up for a months trial, download it, and cancel within 7 days, and then you can see if you need any mroe help after that.
  • edited April 2014
    Basic skills is all you really need Rock, best way to learn them in my experience is by playing darts
  • edited April 2014
    It all depends on what you want to get better at maths for.  If you just want to get better at maths to help you with your poker then there's no need to take an exam or get a tutor,  You can learn the basic maths for poker very easily.

If you want to get better at maths for another reason then i find that havinga goal, like an exam is the best way to go.  But that's just me other people may disagree 

• edited April 2014
    its mostly for poker if im honest but my grades kinda limit the type of jobs i can apply for, my poker yealy salary pays more than my last jobs yealry salary
  • edited April 2014
    here is a couple of links you could maybe try for online tutoring.

http://www.math.com/

http://www.freemathhelp.com/

http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/

http://www.mathplanet.com/

and if it is just for poker maybe this could help..

http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/mathematics/
  • edited April 2014
    Back in my day(i feel really old now ;-( ) maths was all your formulaic based stuff trig & such.
    Your basic percentages was arithmetic a separate exam.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths:
    here is a couple of links you could maybe try for online tutoring. http://www.math.com/ http://www.freemathhelp.com/ http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/ http://www.mathplanet.com/ and if it is just for poker maybe this could help.. http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/mathematics/
    Posted by churchy18
    cheers bud
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths:
    whats the best way to get better at maths? i left school with terrible grades and im contemplating resitting my GCSE'S at college, waste of time doing this? should i just get a private tutor?
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Can someone explain what this thread is doing on a topic called POKER CHAT ?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths : Can someone explain what this thread is doing on a topic called POKER CHAT ?
    Posted by bartoniron
    Yes, they probably can
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths : Can someone explain what this thread is doing on a topic called POKER CHAT ?
    Posted by bartoniron
    maths is apart of poker so was looking for a bit of advice on how i should improve on it. sorry if this question has offended you're eyes.
  • edited April 2014
     The vast majority of poker odds are learned instinctively Rock, messing about with any poker odds calculator will help with any strange hands you come across, personally, I don't think you need much help in maths, but if you think you do, then it can't do any harm I spose ---- I would'nt do anything that might change my game if I were as good as you though---- careful now--lol
  • edited April 2014
     The vast majority of poker odds are learned instinctively Rock, messing about with any poker odds calculator will help with any strange hands you come across, personally, I don't think you need much help in maths, but if you think you do, then it can't do any harm I spose ---- I would'nt do anything that might change my game if I were as good as you though---- careful now--lol
    Posted by oynutter
    i know basic maths for poker but when i read some of the posts from ivanovic and lambert i realise how little and bad my maths is, im suprised ur even trying to be helpful after my outburst to you the other day. sorry for that anyway im easily offended and was having a bad day :-)
  • edited April 2014
     lol--- no worries Rock,--- I knew it was risky winding you up--I got what I deserved------- a laugh---

But I looked you up on shkscope, and you really don't seem to need any help with your game---- I would be careful not to change much anyway--- your game is good-----and imo, the best players are instinctive, and not a result of study of any kind---- that's just my view
  • edited April 2014
    I would take a look at the OU. They have excellent tutors and well designed courses.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/mu123?orig=q36

I have just signed up for the above course

Lewis
  • edited April 2014
    if its just for poker, I would learn what you can yourself from the links etc people have provided, then pay for a coach to fill in the gaps. 

IMO getting a poker coach is a must for a serious player anyway, you can never be too good.

Is the problem that you can't work out stuff quick enough in game, or you just don't know how to work it out? what sort of things do you want to be able to do that you can't atm? maybe the communbity can help out...

• edited April 2014
    if its just for poker, I would learn what you can yourself from the links etc people have provided, then pay for a coach to fill in the gaps.  IMO getting a poker coach is a must for a serious player anyway, you can never be too good. Is the problem that you can't work out stuff quick enough in game, or you just don't know how to work it out? what sort of things do you want to be able to do that you can't atm? maybe the communbity can help out...
    Posted by chicknMelt
    i can calcualte my outs and work out pot odds to see if im getting the right price but thats about all i know really.

im gonna put a lot of work in on this by checking out all the links and if that fails il get a coach in.

• edited April 2014
    Try http://texasholdemsliderule.com this will help you with poker math.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths : i can calcualte my outs and work out pot odds to see if im getting the right price but thats about all i know really. im gonna put a lot of work in on this by checking out all the links and if that fails il get a coach in.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    thats the most important stuff tbh.

when you come accross something you dont know how to work out, post it up here and I dont mind helping (if i can)

lol, bet when you were at school you didnt think you would be seriously considering learning maths in your own time

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths : i can calcualte my outs and work out pot odds to see if im getting the right price but thats about all i know really. im gonna put a lot of work in on this by checking out all the links and if that fails il get a coach in.
    Posted by THEROCK573
     Rock man!-----How did you get to where you are today?---- you're a star on sharkscopes scheduled tournaments!

If you did it with maths and coaching, I'd say get more maths and coaching ------- but if you did it on your wits

and instinct, then, you will improve with experience------ there's a good chance that maths and coaching will 

change your game a lot------You can't forget maths and coaching Rock, The mindset you have now will be gone

You figure out whether you think the best players are the ones with maths and coaching, or the ones with 

superior wits and instinct ----- and remember!-------The poker mindset you have now will be gone

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths :  Rock man!-----How did you get to where you are today?---- you're a star on sharkscopes scheduled tournaments!  If you did it with maths and coaching, I'd say get more maths and coaching ------- but if you did it on your wits  and instinct, then, you will improve with experience------ there's a good chance that maths and coaching will  change your game a lot------You can't forget maths and coaching Rock, The mindset you have now will be gone    You figure out whether you think the best players are the ones with maths and coaching, or the ones with  superior wits and instinct ----- and remember!-------The poker mindset you have now will be gone
    Posted by oynutter
    not sure I agree with this nutter :)

I think both coaching and better maths knowledge would only improve your game, not change your style neccessarily. You are suggesting that if you know more you might get worse are you?!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths :  Rock man!-----How did you get to where you are today?---- you're a star on sharkscopes scheduled tournaments!  If you did it with maths and coaching, I'd say get more maths and coaching ------- but if you did it on your wits  and instinct, then, you will improve with experience------ there's a good chance that maths and coaching will  change your game a lot------You can't forget maths and coaching Rock, The mindset you have now will be gone    You figure out whether you think the best players are the ones with maths and coaching, or the ones with  superior wits and instinct ----- and remember!-------The poker mindset you have now will be gone
    Posted by oynutter
    i often wonder to be honest, there called donkaments for a reason though :-) people make mistakes and anyone competent can make money in them.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths : i often wonder to be honest, there called donkaments for a reason though :-) people make mistakes and anyone competent can make money in them.
    Posted by THEROCK573
     Come on though Rock, how many have your average roi, in tournies, and I hav'nt seen more than one or two with your ability score ----- You're a special Rock, Rock, ---- and the reason is because you play your own game, that you have learned, it's not an abc game, it works better against abc players than around 99.4% of other peoples games! ----- it means, (donkaments or not), that your game ranks in the top 1% of online players------ is it worth risking changing the mindset you have for the game?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths:
    Posted by THEROCK573

why would you do this?

why do u wanna get better at math?

pythagoras aint gonna help wit teh pokerz
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Maths : not sure I agree with this nutter :) I think both coaching and better maths knowledge would only improve your game, not change your style neccessarily. You are suggesting that if you know more you might get worse are you?!
    Posted by chicknMelt
     I am

And you agree, you said "neccessarily"--- which means you think it might---- that's why I think Rock should'nt risk it----his style could'nt work more than around 0.4% better!---- we have sports psychologists because the mindset is very often the difference between winners and losers, why risk changing it?
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths : why would you do this? why do u wanna get better at math? pythagoras aint gonna help wit teh pokerz
    Posted by sikas
    No most of my jobs in the past are s*** pay so ive allways wanted to go back and get a better grade in maths and english aswell. i know good grades dont always mean you get a good job but they certainly help with some lines of work ive tried applying for.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Maths : why would you do this? why do u wanna get better at math? pythagoras aint gonna help wit teh pokerz
    Posted by sikas
    +1    lol----- +1       =2