You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

STANDARD OF PLAY? PFFT AWFUL

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
IVE STARTED THIS THREAD AS I WANT TO KNOW IF OTHER PLAYERS ARE NOTICING THE SAME PLAY AGAIN AND AGAIN THAT I AM SEEING.IT IS WHEN PEOPLE HAVE A POCKET PAIR THEY SEEM UNABLE TO LET GO EVEN AFTER THE RIVER WHEN THERE ARE OVERCARDS AND THEY ARE BLATENTLY BEHiND THEY KEEP CALLING EVEN WHEN FACED WITH AN ALL-IN BET.TODAY I HAVE PLAYED £1,£2 AND £5 GAMES AND I HAVE SEEN IT ON ALL LEVELS.dav

Comments

• edited January 2010

Just the type of players you want at your table in my opinion

• edited January 2010
    yep knowing when to fold is key to poker it happens on most sites at lower levels
    all is good though if u have winning hand
  • edited January 2010
    yeh i have, this is great in cash, but in tourney play, when they hit its sooo annoying, and im one of the least annoyed fellas out there!
  • edited January 2010
    Send em my way dav :)
  • edited January 2010
    I am coming across this more and more Dav. You get your money In good and more often than not they hit their under pair set on the river regardless of the texture of the board they just won't let go.
  • edited January 2010
    Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but am I the only person getting tired of seeing threads slating playing abilities on here?

dav, you're talking about low stakes games where most players start off at so there will be mistakes, bad calls etc. Yes it's annoying when they hit (particularly in a STT/MTT as more often than not it will at least c ripple you, if not knock you out), but that is part and parcel of the game. Everyone pays their entry & as such are entitled to play any way they want. Eventually, anyone that wants to play the game more seriously long term will learn by their mistakes but they have to make those mistakes first.

As Kiwi said, surely these are the sort of people you want at your table?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY? PFFT AWFUL:
    Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but am I the only person getting tired of seeing threads slating playing abilities on here? dav, you're talking about low stakes games where most players start off at so there will be mistakes, bad calls etc. Yes it's annoying when they hit (particularly in a STT/MTT as more often than not it will at least c ripple you, if not knock you out), but that is part and parcel of the game. Everyone pays their entry & as such are entitled to play any way they want. Eventually, anyone that wants to play the game more seriously long term will learn by their mistakes but they have to make those mistakes first. As Kiwi said, surely these are the sort of people you want at your table?
    Posted by silentbob
    No Bob, you are certainly not the only one.
    I would hazard a guess that there is a large "silent" majority that shares your feelings.
  • edited January 2010
    It's exactly these people I want at my table. I want to be sitting their with the nuts when they can't let their Kings go or betting into me with their middle pair on straightening board! I played someone today who bet and then called my re-raise on Q 3 5 flop (all spades) with Kc 10s and then when 4th spade came on turn, bet out and then stacked off when I shoved with my Ace flush...we want those kind of ''idiotic'' or ''baffling'' plays because that's where you'll make your money - if I'm playing within my bankroll, I can afford the occasional hit and once I've taken two minutes to compose myself after their poor play gets rewarded, I reload satisfied in the knowledge I'm going to get those chips back...with interest!
  • edited January 2010

ERRRR I THINK THIS IS BEING TWISTED AROUND SLIGHTLY I ASKED IF PEOPLE WRE NOTICING THE SAME AS ME,THATS ALL.THESE PLAYS IVE SEEN TODAY THE PLAYERS HAVE LOST EVERY SINGLE TIME SO MORE FOOL THEM.I WAS ONLY ASKING THAT IS ALL.WHY ARE SOME OF THE REPLIES HERE IN THE VAIN OF SOME KIND OF BAD BEAT STORY WHEN IT CLEARLY IS NOT.dav

• edited January 2010
    ERRRR I THINK THIS IS BEING TWISTED AROUND SLIGHTLY I ASKED IF PEOPLE WRE NOTICING THE SAME AS ME,THATS ALL.THESE PLAYS IVE SEEN TODAY THE PLAYERS HAVE LOST EVERY SINGLE TIME SO MORE FOOL THEM.I WAS ONLY ASKING THAT IS ALL.WHY ARE SOME OF THE REPLIES HERE IN THE VAIN OF SOME KIND OF BAD BEAT STORY WHEN IT CLEARLY IS NOT.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    Yeah it's common occurrence for these plays so cash in whilst you can because when/if they improve, it'll be much harder so don't tap the aquarium mate - as you said, they've lost every time so I'd just be gutted they weren't donating to my stack when they donked off!
  • edited January 2010
    Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but am I the only person getting tired of seeing threads slating playing abilities on here? dav, you're talking about low stakes games where most players start off at so there will be mistakes, bad calls etc. Yes it's annoying when they hit (particularly in a STT/MTT as more often than not it will at least c ripple you, if not knock you out), but that is part and parcel of the game. Everyone pays their entry & as such are entitled to play any way they want. Eventually, anyone that wants to play the game more seriously long term will learn by their mistakes but they have to make those mistakes first. As Kiwi said, surely these are the sort of people you want at your table?
    Posted by silentbob
    stupid reply,plaese read post again and then my next one.dav
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY? PFFT AWFUL : No Bob, you are certainly not the only one. I would hazard a guess that there is a large "silent" majority that shares your feelings.
    Posted by MereNovice
    another daft reply please read both of my posts again.dav
  • edited January 2010
    Mine was not a bad beat story either, It was merely an observation
  • edited January 2010
    Yes please!!!!

In the Deep stack sat I had KK raised 4x BB and got a call

Flop was low and opponent pushed all in I called

he showed 7 5 (no 7 or 5 on board there was a 6!)

Easy double up!

Dave
  • edited January 2010

Gentlemen.

I'm not a Mod, but if I were, I'd say this.

If you suggest other players are "awful", & refer to replies as "stupid, it's not exactly going to win their hearts & minds, is it?

Also, although I know it's not intentional, WHEN YOU TYPE IN UPPER CASE IT'S THE WRITTEN VERSION OF SHOUTING. And nobody liks being shouted at. (Except Orford, & he's used to it).

Luckily, I'm not a Mod.

As you were, then. ;)

Have a nice evening, all of you.
  • edited January 2010
    ONE MORE POINT WHILE I AM STILL RAGING AT SOME OF THESE DAFT REPLIES.THERE ARE LOTS OF POSTS ON THIS SITE WHERE PLAYERS PUT UP THERE HAND HISTORY AND THEN SAY WHY DID THIS PERSON CALL WHEN THEY KNEW THEY HAD LOST.WHY AM I BEING SINGLED OUT FOR THE SPECIAL TREATMENT BY THE USUAL SUSPECTS WHO MAKE SNIPES AT THESE THREADS.dav
  • edited January 2010

Hmm, my placatory skills clearly need honing......

PS - Add "daft replies" to my list.
  • edited January 2010
    Gentlemen. I'm not a Mod, but if I were, I'd say this. If you suggest other players are "awful", & refer to replies as "stupid, it's not exactly going to win their hearts & minds, is it? Also, although I know it's not intentional, WHEN YOU TYPE IN UPPER CASE IT'S THE WRITTEN VERSION OF SHOUTING. And nobody liks being shouted at. (Except Orford, & he's used to it). Luckily, I'm not a Mod. As you were, then. ;) Have a nice evening, all of you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    sorry tikay but im getting a bit fed up now of being singled out by certain players when i post a thread.as i stated others are not getting this treatment so why should i? dav
  • edited January 2010

No worries dav.

These things are self-fulfilling.

If you refer to "awful" play, "stupid replies", & "daft" answers", ALL IN UPPER CASE, it just puts people on the back foot, it's like a red rag to a squirrel.

It's cool now.
  • edited January 2010
    It's not much different in Omaha, my exiting hand of the recent tourny
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    HartshorN Small blind   25.00 25.00 1170.00
    HellyBelly Big blind   50.00 75.00 1282.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K
    • J

Ryan38 Fold        
    00kav Raise   150.00 225.00 2890.00
    parkycp23 Fold        
    HartshorN Call   125.00 350.00 1045.00
    HellyBelly Call   100.00 450.00 1182.50
    Flop

• J

HartshorN Check        
    HellyBelly Check        
    00kav Bet   350.00 800.00 2540.00
    HartshorN All-in   1045.00 1845.00 0.00
    HellyBelly Fold        
    00kav Call   695.00 2540.00 1845.00
    HartshorN Show
    • Q
    • K
    • J

00kav Show
    • A

Turn

River

• A

00kav Win Full House, 3s and Aces 2540.00   4385.00
    A pair of 5's...

You can't win them all im afraid, you've just gotta pick your head up and hope someone pulls this stunt on you again. Cause the next time, you have them.
  • edited January 2010
    The only time somebody really annoys me is when we are on the final table or 2 tables left of a MTT and just because they have chips they feel oliged to call my all in for about 18,000 because they are in the BB having posted 1000 with 10 6 offsuit which beats my AK on the river. its an insult when you have been playing for 3 hours to go out with very small amount of money. OK rant over lol
  • edited January 2010

Theres some very good players on this forum who dont mind playing lower stakes! The low stakes players (some), although in my opinion, arent as good as the very big hitters, are very very good and hard to beat.

I can reel off at least hald a dozen names of players I read posting on here every single day. - Im sure these players would not mind coming to play against you for an hour or so Dav.

If this happens, Im sure, after just an hour of playing a table of really really good players, U will openly admit that u preferred the table u were sat at before!

If I offered you a table of....Myself, Irishrover, Norbit, Scotty, Flashflush and your good self, at say a 5/10 quid sng, or 5/10 pence cash or whatever, Im sure the mistakes u see and the donk plays will be non existant!

The point im tryin to make and i havent read thru the replies, im sure its been said, that im sure u wud prefer an auwful standard than a good standard of opponent!

DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    It's not much different in Omaha, my exiting hand of the recent tourny Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance HartshorN Small blind   25.00 25.00 1170.00 HellyBelly Big blind   50.00 75.00 1282.50   Your hole cards 8 Q K J       Ryan38 Fold         00kav Raise   150.00 225.00 2890.00 parkycp23 Fold         HartshorN Call   125.00 350.00 1045.00 HellyBelly Call   100.00 450.00 1182.50 Flop     J 8 3       HartshorN Check         HellyBelly Check         00kav Bet   350.00 800.00 2540.00 HartshorN All-in   1045.00 1845.00 0.00 HellyBelly Fold         00kav Call   695.00 2540.00 1845.00 HartshorN Show 8 Q K J       00kav Show A 5 5 3       Turn     3       River     A       00kav Win Full House, 3s and Aces 2540.00   4385.00 A pair of 5's... You can't win them all im afraid, you've just gotta pick your head up and hope someone pulls this stunt on you again. Cause the next time, you have them.
    Posted by HartshorN
    Harts mate please read my second post again mate.dav
  • edited January 2010
    dav, as I said in my reply, I'm not trying to be argumentative by any stretch of the imagination but just look at the title......................................

The title alone (imo) is slating other people's playing abilities & I was merely stating that personally, I'm getting of tired of seeing these posts.

You must know that in any thread (started by anyone btw) you are going to get replies that you don't agree with & that's the beauty of the forum because there are so many opinions, but just because you don't agree with what I replied with doesn't make it stupid or daft (apologies as I can't remember your exact wording whilst typing this & trying to stop my 18 month daughter from falling off the sofa!)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: STANDARD OF PLAY? PFFT AWFUL : another daft reply please read both of my posts again.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    You have titled this thread "STANDARD OF PLAY? PFFT AWFUL".
    This implies a lack of respect for the players on this site that I find distasteful.
    I tend to read and consider posts carefully before I reply; perhaps you should do the same.
  • edited January 2010
    I am coming across this more and more Dav. You get your money In good and more often than not they hit their under pair set on the river regardless of the texture of the board they just won't let go.
    Posted by BANDICOOT
    I agree with this, and it aint no consolation when we are told these are the type of players to play against all day cos they win all day lol or it seems that way anyway
  • edited January 2010
    Best way of lokking at it imo......

Hold `em = 75 ball bingo
    Omaho    = 90 ball bingo
  • edited January 2010

T

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    clark08 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £25.69
    kelly1988 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.94
      Your hole cards
    • K

XXX Raise  £4.80 £4.95 £22.18
    sikas Fold     
    fishwishy Call  £4.80 £9.75 £22.49
    HANDYACE Fold     
    clark08 Fold     
    kelly1988 Call  £4.70 £14.45 £1.24
    Flop

kelly1988 Check     
    XXX Bet  £4.40 £18.85 £17.78
    fishywishy Call  £4.40 £23.25 £18.09
    kelly1988 Fold     
    Turn

• A

XXX Bet  £4.70 £27.95 £13.08
    fishywishy Call  £4.70 £32.65 £13.39
    River

XXX Bet  £6.10 £38.75 £6.98
    fishywishy Call  £6.10 £44.85 £7.29
    XXX Show
    • J

fishywishy Show
    • K

elsadog Win Ace high £43.05  £50.34
    Talk about a calling station ....... I've removed the names to protect the innocent :o)
  • edited January 2010
    meant to say looking before the spelling police arrest me!
  • edited January 2010
    and Omaha.....lol could be on a double charge.