You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
I'm fairly new (couple of months) to Sky Poker and plying thje 'Micro' tables but find I am continually frustrated by players letting the clock run out rather than making a positive action. I appreciate some may be playing multiple tables and it is a 'Turbo' table, but I still consider it very discourteous to other players to just do nothing! If you are going to Check of Fold there are buttons to press that will perform this action when your turn arrives! If three or four players do this the table is effectively no longer a turbo....

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games:
    I'm fairly new (couple of months) to Sky Poker and plying thje 'Micro' tables but find I am continually frustrated by players letting the clock run out rather than making a positive action. I appreciate some may be playing multiple tables and it is a 'Turbo' table, but I still consider it very discourteous to other players to just do nothing! If you are going to Check of Fold there are buttons to press that will perform this action when your turn arrives! If three or four players do this the table is effectively no longer a turbo....
    Posted by ryfunere

Part of the game and something you have to get used to, I imagine people will be playing lots of tables and may be busy on another table. They may not have pressed fold on auto because they may have an average hand and be waiting to see what others do first.

The time is given for people to take decisions and they are entitled to use it. If you are getting bored waiting then consider playing more than one table yourself
  • edited July 2014

Hi Ry, & that was your maiden post, so welcome to the Sky Poker Community.

Yes, it can be a little frustrating, especially if you are one-tabling, but there's nothing that can be done about it.

In fact, over the years, on this Community, I've seen, literally, hundreds of Posts arguing the opposite, that players should receive MORE thinking time, not less.

From the perspective of the Business, making LESS "thinking time" to act would be a big plus, as more hands would be played. But they can't, they have to allow time for a balanced range of needs. Reduce that time & there'd be a right hoohah, probably rightly so.

I'll be honest, I can no longer "one-table", as the action is not fast enough for me, I like to think & act fast when pokering. So my solution is to open more tables, so I always have action. Reduces variance, too. That does not mean investing more money, just spreading it around better.

Anyway, good luck at the tables.       

• edited July 2014

Welcome to the forums ryfunere

I'd also add (from personal experience) that the tech limitations of laptops / broadband connections can cause this through no fault of the player.  If the software freezes or the connection drops momentarily it can be even more frustrating for the 'no action' player to get back just to find they've timed out and folded a good hand!!

Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much and that you play lots more poker on Sky.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games:
    Welcome to the forums ryfunere I'd also add (from personal experience) that the tech limitations of laptops / broadband connections can cause this through no fault of the player.  If the software freezes or the connection drops momentarily it can be even more frustrating for the 'no action' player to get back just to find they've timed out and folded a good hand!! Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much and that you play lots more poker on Sky.
    Posted by shakinaces

Thank you ShakinAces, and all the people above for the courtesy of your well reasoned responses. I agree in part, but am still convinced there are 'lazy' folk out there who despite not intending any further action on a hand will just let the clock run out to check/fold. I consider this to be plain bad 'Table manners'. However the cure is in my hands.... Stay or go. I like the site because I can manage to make my monthly allowance stretch and even to show a profit on rare occasions so I'll stick it out for a while.

For info. Other sites I have played allow me to see how many tables a player is using just by clicking their icon or in some cases a photo. Also, one site has 'zoom' tables which are as fast as it can get. 

Go well all, and thanks again.

Ryfunere (aka John)
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Ry, & that was your maiden post, so welcome to the Sky Poker Community. Yes, it can be a little frustrating, especially if you are one-tabling, but there's nothing that can be done about it.   In fact, over the years, on this Community, I've seen, literally, hundreds of Posts arguing the opposite, that players should receive MORE thinking time, not less.   From the perspective of the Business, making LESS "thinking time" to act would be a big plus, as more hands would be played. But they can't, they have to allow time for a balanced range of needs. Reduce that time & there'd be a right hoohah, probably rightly so.   I'll be honest, I can no longer "one-table", as the action is not fast enough for me, I like to think & act fast when pokering. So my solution is to open more tables, so I always have action. Reduces variance, too. That does not mean investing more money, just spreading it around better. Anyway, good luck at the tables.         
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi TiKay, I consider myself greatly honoured to catch your attention and get a reply (:o)).... I watch you guys now and again on Sky's poker channel so many thanks for your response. Give Anna and the others my greetings.

I may try a multi-table scenario but being a pensioner, I set myself a strict monthly allowance & it concerns me that I could get spent out in a day or two.

From reading the other replies it seems clear a set of 'ultra-turbo' tables may be welcomed by many. A 3-second clock would be fun.

I'm sure you know which site has 'Zoom' tables and maybe something similar could be emplaced here.

Kind regards

Ryfunere (John)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Thank you ShakinAces, and all the people above for the courtesy of your well reasoned responses. I agree in part, but am still convinced there are 'lazy' folk out there who despite not intending any further action on a hand will just let the clock run out to check/fold. I consider this to be plain bad 'Table manners'. However the cure is in my hands.... Stay or go. I like the site because I can manage to make my monthly allowance stretch and even to show a profit on rare occasions so I'll stick it out for a while. For info. Other sites I have played allow me to see how many tables a player is using just by clicking their icon or in some cases a photo. Also, one site has 'zoom' tables which are as fast as it can get.  Go well all, and thanks again. Ryfunere (aka John)
    Posted by ryfunere
    Hi ryfunere Welcome to the forum, if you click on find a player

and just type in the name of any player on your table
    it will tell you how many tables said player is playing.

Regards Alan
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Hi ryfunere Welcome to the forum, if you click on find a player   and just type in the name of any player on your table it will tell you how many tables said player is playing. Regards Alan
    Posted by ajmilton
    Many thanks AJM - Still finding my way around and advice such as yours is greatly appreciated. 
    KR's John

• edited August 2014
    A three second clock?

You're kidding, right?
  • edited August 2014
    First remember there is a time allowed for each play, and each player is entitled to use as much or as little as they wish for whatever reason. That being the case nothing can be done about that. I understand what you mean though as from your point of view all you can see is the clock counting down, and you like most poker players are action junkies so therefore it is frustrating. I should point out that in cash there is less reasons for deliberately slow playing. The usual reason is multi tabling, now you could also do that and though I do I can understand some people finding it less enjoyable, or if playing within their bankroll at the lowest stake not affordable as you should always only play for what you can afford to lose.
    I thought for amusement I would give you some real life reasons for people slow playing sitting out etc.
    A fire alarm went off and they were playing at work so had to evacuate (think I want their job)
    Their daughter broke her leg in the garden, the wife went with her to hospital and they came back to PLAY!!!
    My son ran over a cat in my street, as I spent yeaers in St John, and worked on the Ambulances it's regarded as my job ( I AM NOT A VET).
    Needless to say there are many other possibilties like burning the dinner, a phone call, wife/husband moaning etc.
  • edited August 2014
    First remember there is a time allowed for each play, and each player is entitled to use as much or as little as they wish for whatever reason. That being the case nothing can be done about that. I understand what you mean though as from your point of view all you can see is the clock counting down, and you like most poker players are action junkies so therefore it is frustrating. I should point out that in cash there is less reasons for deliberately slow playing. The usual reason is multi tabling, now you could also do that and though I do I can understand some people finding it less enjoyable, or if playing within their bankroll at the lowest stake not affordable as you should always only play for what you can afford to lose. I thought for amusement I would give you some real life reasons for people slow playing sitting out etc. A fire alarm went off and they were playing at work so had to evacuate (think I want their job) Their daughter broke her leg in the garden, the wife went with her to hospital and they came back to PLAY!!! My son ran over a cat in my street, as I spent yeaers in St John, and worked on the Ambulances it's regarded as my job ( I AM NOT A VET). Needless to say there are many other possibilties like burning the dinner, a phone call, wife/husband moaning etc.
    Posted by Sir-Gary

Hi Sir-Gary.

I understand about the occasional need to answer the door, take a call etc etc, but.... there are a fair number of folk out there who are playing only one table (I checked using advice given earlier) and they consistently run down the clock. It's these I consider to be bad nannered and discourteous. - Go well.
    Regards, John

• edited August 2014
    A three second clock? You're kidding, right?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Hi Slipwater - Sorry, but I don't see a three second clock being a problem. Try counting them, starting with '0' to get three full seconds... to me it's plenty of time to make a bet/check/fold decision. I and a lot of players rarely use more than this. If the software allows, maybe have a 'time extension' option to extend the clock to six or eight secs and for any player actually 'setting' a bet but a fold/check is easy in three. You also have the time waiting your turn to make decisions and buttons to pre-select a choice. 
    Regards, John
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Hi Slipwater - Sorry, but I don't see a three second clock being a problem. Try counting them, starting with '0' to get three full seconds... to me it's plenty of time to make a bet/check/fold decision. I and a lot of players rarely use more than this. If the software allows, maybe have a 'time extension' option to extend the clock to six or eight secs and for any player actually 'setting' a bet but a fold/check is easy in three. You also have the time waiting your turn to make decisions and buttons to pre-select a choice.  Regards, John
    Posted by ryfunere
    Are you seriously trying to tell me how to count to three? I am perfectly aware of how long three seconds lasts - ask the more-than-seven women I have been with - and I still think it's far too short a period of time to impose as a rule.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi and welcome
    I think 3 seconds would be a bit quick especially if you are multi tabling. I don't play anymore than 4 and if 2 are "on the clock" at the same time 3 seconds would be too quick for me.
    Maybe you could have tables with that length of clock and then you can play with like minded players.
    Good luck
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Are you seriously trying to tell me how to count to three? I am perfectly aware of how long three seconds lasts - ask the more-than-seven women I have been with - and I still think it's far too short a period of time to impose as a rule.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Sick brag sir, wp.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Sick brag sir, wp.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yup,he told me in confidence it's 7.5 "women" that trip to Thailand is still a bit fuzzy but another notch is another notch right ?;)
  • edited August 2014
    I thought he said 'more than 7' because he can't spell 8 :D
  • edited August 2014
    I thought he said 'more than 7' because he can't spell 8 :D
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Or count to 8?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Or count to 8?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    ;)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Are you seriously trying to tell me how to count to three? I am perfectly aware of how long three seconds lasts - ask the more-than-seven women I have been with - and I still think it's far too short a period of time to impose as a rule.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Not seriously and no offense meant!  But, check how many people when asked to count three seconds go 1,2,3, which as we both know is actually only two seconds elapsed time. I'm not going to argue about three vs eight second clocks, but I will stand by my thinkinhg that some people have no 'Table manners' in continually letting the clock run out. ~ go well.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi and welcome I think 3 seconds would be a bit quick especially if you are multi tabling. I don't play anymore than 4 and if 2 are "on the clock" at the same time 3 seconds would be too quick for me. Maybe you could have tables with that length of clock and then you can play with like minded players. Good luck
    Posted by walesboy
    Thanks Wales. Yep, the 3-second tables are, very selfishly I admit, intended just for folk like me who tend to play quickly.
  • edited August 2014

Looking at both sides of the coin, 3 second 'shot clocks' would be totally unplayable for anyone multi-tabling.

But then for recs, which Sky (and most poker sites) are trying to attract and keep, that's probably a good table option - especially with the tablet/mobile app that lends itself to a hyper-turbo-speed cash game format.

Double bonus that (at all but higher stakes) it'll likely keep regs away (as they can't multi) and have the impact of creating rec-only games that should level the playing field, help newcomers lose slower, and potentially build a greater pool of recs as a result (good for all parties).

• edited August 2014
    i have to say this is a pet hate of mine when people burn down their clocks, especially if they are acting first or no raises have been made. I would like to think this is because they are playing multi tables as that is understandable, but there may be a few who do this just because they can.

as for a three second clock suggested earlier tho...put yourself in the situation of a tournament and facing a big raise and I think even some of the more experienced players could struggle and be timed out on more than one occasion, let alone recreational and low stakes players like me.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Sad that even here some folk feel the need to respond to a reasonable discussion with insults. Using insults tells us all about them but little else.  

If this is the level of people here then I will be leaving the site. 

Pathetic and ridiculous.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Or count to 8?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I replied to this post already, but here goes again.... 

When I ask a reasonable question, or put forward a reasoned suggestion, to be answered with insults is not 'clever'. All it does is reveal what the responder is, nothing else.  If this is the type of person inhabiting this site and they allowed to comment disparagingly about anyone else then I will leave when/if my current stakeholding is ended.

Tikay - Take note of the people you are encouraging. I know the entire site and everything about it is geared to taking money from folk like myself, but this is just plain despicable behaviour.

Before you all start shouting about me 'Not being able to take a joke', then think carefully about what you say. I enjoy and encourage the friendly swapping of insults, but it is with friends and those who offered insults don't know me well enough to be my friends and so should know better. Clearly they do not.

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Sad that even here some folk feel the need to respond to a reasonable discussion with insults. Using insults tells us all about them but little else.   If this is the level of people here then I will be leaving the site.  Pathetic and ridiculous.
    Posted by ryfunere
    Exactly where is the insult in the post of mine you have quoted?

I answered properly and succinctly earlier in the thread.

Three seconds is not long enough. End of story.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : I replied to this post already, but here goes again....  When I ask a reasonable question, or put forward a reasoned suggestion, to be answered with insults is not 'clever'. All it does is reveal what the responder is, nothing else.  If this is the type of person inhabiting this site and they allowed to comment disparagingly about anyone else then I will leave when/if my current stakeholding is ended. Tikay - Take note of the people you are encouraging. I know the entire site and everything about it is geared to taking money from folk like myself, but this is just plain despicable behaviour. Before you all start shouting about me 'Not being able to take a joke', then think carefully about what you say. I enjoy and encourage the friendly swapping of insults, but it is with friends and those who offered insults don't know me well enough to be my friends and so should know better. Clearly they do not.
    Posted by ryfunere
    What on earth are you going on about?
  • edited August 2014
    I don't think people have insulted you. They just don't believe that your idea is a good one. 
    As was mentioned in a previous post, the more common complaint is that there isn't a time bank on Sky for when you have a tough decision.
    15 seconds really isn't that long. Try counting it. If a player is using the full time allowed, it surely isn't that big a problem?

Please don't try playing live. 1 hand can commonly take over 5 mins to play out
  • edited August 2014
    I actually don't mind the idea, if it was at just one or two clearly marked low stake cash tables.

But how he is offended by what I put is beyond me, when it was clearly a dig at Slippy.

An excellent dig, might I add.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Exactly where is the insult in the post of mine you have quoted? I answered properly and succinctly earlier in the thread. Three seconds is not long enough. End of story.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Not from you Slipwater. your response was perfectly reasonable and I think I acknowledged this in my response to you at the time.
  • edited August 2014
    I actually don't mind the idea, if it was at just one or two clearly marked low stake cash tables. But how he is offended by what I put is beyond me, when it was clearly a dig at Slippy. An excellent dig, might I add.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    You and Mr Wite implied I cannot count, when all I proposed was a reasoned idea for a faster clock on some tables and a comment that I dislike people who meaninglessly run down the clock. If you wish to ridicule people without knowing them well enough to do so, then you should expect a reaction and not go 'all innocent' when it comes. 

Know that you have convinced a new member this site is not worth staying on.

Good bye!