You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games

Comments

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games:
    Looking at both sides of the coin, 3 second 'shot clocks' would be totally unplayable for anyone multi-tabling. But then for recs, which Sky (and most poker sites) are trying to attract and keep, that's probably a good table option - especially with the tablet/mobile app that lends itself to a hyper-turbo-speed cash game format. Double bonus that (at all but higher stakes) it'll likely keep regs away (as they can't multi) and have the impact of creating rec-only games that should level the playing field, help newcomers lose slower, and potentially build a greater pool of recs as a result (good for all parties).
    Posted by shakinaces

Nicely reasoned Shakinaces and much better so than I did at the time. Thank you. 
  • edited August 2014
    I don't think people have insulted you. They just don't believe that your idea is a good one.  As was mentioned in a previous post, the more common complaint is that there isn't a time bank on Sky for when you have a tough decision. 15 seconds really isn't that long. Try counting it. If a player is using the full time allowed, it surely isn't that big a problem? Please don't try playing live. 1 hand can commonly take over 5 mins to play out
    Posted by Jac35

Whatever you think about my being insulted or not (though being told I can't count seems so to me), you may prefer to spend ages on a simple fold, check or bet decision but there are many more who prefer to play faster. If you prefer slow play, then offer an argument for long clock tables, just like I did for short clock tables. Otherwise your suggestion to play live may well suit you more than myself.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : I replied to this post already, but here goes again....  When I ask a reasonable question, or put forward a reasoned suggestion, to be answered with insults is not 'clever'. All it does is reveal what the responder is, nothing else.  If this is the type of person inhabiting this site and they allowed to comment disparagingly about anyone else then I will leave when/if my current stakeholding is ended. Tikay - Take note of the people you are encouraging. I know the entire site and everything about it is geared to taking money from folk like myself, but this is just plain despicable behaviour. Before you all start shouting about me 'Not being able to take a joke', then think carefully about what you say. I enjoy and encourage the friendly swapping of insults, but it is with friends and those who offered insults don't know me well enough to be my friends and so should know better. Clearly they do not.
    Posted by ryfunere
    I'm afraid you've whooshed me there Ry, though I suppose thats not difficult. 

I have responded ONCE on this thread, & it seemed to me to be polite, respectful, & well-reasoned. Not sure how or who I "encouraged".

Here is my Post, from Page 1 of the thread, unedited, & it it's entirety.....

".....Hi Ry, & that was your maiden post, so welcome to the Sky Poker Community.

Yes, it can be a little frustrating, especially if you are one-tabling, but there's nothing that can be done about it.

In fact, over the years, on this Community, I've seen, literally, hundreds of Posts arguing the opposite, that players should receive MORE thinking time, not less.

From the perspective of the Business, making LESS "thinking time" to act would be a big plus, as more hands would be played. But they can't, they have to allow time for a balanced range of needs. Reduce that time & there'd be a right hoohah, probably rightly so.

I'll be honest, I can no longer "one-table", as the action is not fast enough for me, I like to think & act fast when pokering. So my solution is to open more tables, so I always have action. Reduces variance, too. That does not mean investing more money, just spreading it around better.

Anyway, good luck at the tables....."

I'm sorry you feel you are being given a hard time by me & others, but this is a poker forum, & the way I read it, most of the replies are just regular, standard, poker forum banter. Honestly, they are just banter, & I think you have taken it wrong. Humour & the written word don't always come across as intended. Many of those who replied to you are generally exceedingly helpful, & are decent people. They are just having banter Ry, no more no less. 

I've re-read my Post several times, & I can't see a thing wrong with it, to be honest, & I'd reply the same again today to the same question. My views expressed were my own, & I never "encouraged" anyone to write or say anything. I disagreed with your view, as it happens, but I did so politely & respectfully.   
  • edited August 2014
    Right, gonna break this down for you ryfunere.

- Slippy said 'more than the 7 Women I've been with' or words to that effect.

- I replied saying it was a sick brag.

- tomgoodun suggests that Slippy may have had it away with a Thai ladyboy, and thus the real figure is 7.5.

- Mrwhite says that slippy said 'more than 7 as he can't spell 8'.

- I then said 'or count to 8?'

Not at any point were you involved in this bit of conversation. None of the above posts we're aimed or intended for you.

If anyone should be aggrieved, its Slipwater, as we suggested not only that he might have slept with a ladyboy, but also that he can't spell or count. Yet I don't hear him getting his knickers in a twist.

I would say 'please don't leave, it was just a misunderstanding' etc etc blah blah but to be honest I'm really not fussed either way. If you stay, good luck and run well, if you leave then good luck elsewhere.
  • edited August 2014
    I know how you feel about me, Malcolm, so I know how much that post must have hurt you to write ;)

You're right - the OP has got the wrong end of the stick....

...and his three-second clock idea still sucks.
  • edited August 2014
    can i just put in this point i think out of all the sites ive played on sky has the shortest time available to make your decision there is no countdown but it think its about 10 secs when most sites are 15 so the games move faster here than anywhere else that ive played
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : I'm afraid you've whooshed me there Ry, though I suppose thats not difficult.  I have responded ONCE on this thread, & it seemed to me to be polite, respectful, & well-reasoned. Not sure how or who I "encouraged". Here is my Post, from Page 1 of the thread, unedited, & it it's entirety..... ".....Hi Ry, & that was your maiden post, so welcome to the Sky Poker Community. Yes, it can be a little frustrating, especially if you are one-tabling, but there's nothing that can be done about it. In fact, over the years, on this Community, I've seen, literally, hundreds of Posts arguing the opposite, that players should receive MORE thinking time, not less. From the perspective of the Business, making LESS "thinking time" to act would be a big plus, as more hands would be played. But they can't, they have to allow time for a balanced range of needs. Reduce that time & there'd be a right hoohah, probably rightly so. I'll be honest, I can no longer "one-table", as the action is not fast enough for me, I like to think & act fast when pokering. So my solution is to open more tables, so I always have action. Reduces variance, too. That does not mean investing more money, just spreading it around better. Anyway, good luck at the tables....." I'm sorry you feel you are being given a hard time by me & others, but this is a poker forum, & the way I read it, most of the replies are just regular, standard, poker forum banter. Honestly, they are just banter, & I think you have taken it wrong. Humour & the written word don't always come across as intended. Many of those who replied to you are generally exceedingly helpful, & are decent people. They are just having banter Ry, no more no less.  I've re-read my Post several times, & I can't see a thing wrong with it, to be honest, & I'd reply the same again today to the same question. My views expressed were my own, & I never "encouraged" anyone to write or say anything. I disagreed with your view, as it happens, but I did so politely & respectfully.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Tikay. Where on earth do you get the idea I found your comments wrong, insulting or disrespectful. My reply to your response must have conveyed my thoughts on your kind consideration in providing a reply.

As for it being 'banter'. Banter is like sex and is generally indulged in between consenting adults. I stated those who indulged in such banter toward me do not know me well enough to have that priveledge. I enjoy the swapping of banter, repartee and insults a-plenty with friends, but ONLY when the 'ground rules' are established and I am sure such talk will not offend. Those folk did not provide such courtesy. 

I never insult anyone at the tables. I will offer praise for a good or well played hand and on occasion join in with good natured or informative chat, otherwise I will keep silent. 

I believe in fair play and common courtesy. It dissapoints me you do not seem to agree. So, on that basis,

Good day sir, and goodbye.

• edited August 2014
    Right, gonna break this down for you ryfunere. - Slippy said 'more than the 7 Women I've been with' or words to that effect. - I replied saying it was a sick brag. - tomgoodun suggests that Slippy may have had it away with a Thai ladyboy, and thus the real figure is 7.5. - Mrwhite says that slippy said 'more than 7 as he can't spell 8'. - I then said 'or count to 8?' Not at any point were you involved in this bit of conversation. None of the above posts we're aimed or intended for you. If anyone should be aggrieved, its Slipwater, as we suggested not only that he might have slept with a ladyboy, but also that he can't spell or count. Yet I don't hear him getting his knickers in a twist. I would say 'please don't leave, it was just a misunderstanding' etc etc blah blah but to be honest I'm really not fussed either way. If you stay, good luck and run well, if you leave then good luck elsewhere.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Nice try, but why would you post such ramblings on a random thread. Nope, don't buy it. 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Nice try, but why would you post such ramblings on a random thread. Nope, don't buy it. 
    Posted by ryfunere
    Wow...... It's pretty clear if you read back through the entire thread!
  • edited August 2014
    There has literally been not even a single insult aimed at you during this entire thread and your reaction has been somewhat bewildering.

Good luck to you wherever you choose to make your 3 second decisions.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : Nice try, but why would you post such ramblings on a random thread. Nope, don't buy it. 
    Posted by ryfunere
    This is your first time on a public internet forum, yes?
  • edited August 2014
    I am baffled by how ryfunere could have taken any of the banter on this thread as an insult aimed at him and even if there was banter aimed at his counting I don't see how it could upset someone so much.

Also a turbo tourney is not so much about having more time to think and playing hands quicker but more about the shorter lengths of time between the blinds going up therefore making it a shorter tournament.
  • edited August 2014
    and back to the topic

i will deliberately allow the clock to run even when i have made my decision (not every time, but sometimes, and more likely on mtts than cash)
    this is to avoid giving away easy timing tells which the better regs are able to exploit
    that being said i will normally only run down the clock half way to do that, not all the way

and as i multi table, sometimes i don't even get to raise my AA in time before being timed out every now and then
  • edited August 2014
    Posted by ryfunere
    There is nothing to buy.
  • edited August 2014
    Enough of this. You all fail to acknowledge an insult when it shows itself and cannot bring yourselves to acknowledge it. I have been reasonable all along and tried to explain my views clearly but have met with ridicule and insult even from Tikay, who is supposedly a straight talker. Apparently not so. 

I'm cashing out and leaving this self indulgent site. Clearly run by and for the chosen few.
  • edited August 2014
    Jesus,bit of an over reaction this is Ry  "this is not an insult"
    plz calm down and gather your thoughts bro unless you,re being like this to cause a reaction then carry on
    it seems strange that a pensioner with all of life's experiences would get upset by something so minor
  • edited August 2014
    Enough of this. You all fail to acknowledge an insult when it shows itself and cannot bring yourselves to acknowledge it. I have been reasonable all along and tried to explain my views clearly but have met with ridicule and insult even from Tikay, who is supposedly a straight talker. Apparently not so.  I'm cashing out and leaving this self indulgent site. Clearly run by and for the chosen few.
    Posted by ryfunere
    Take a deep breath, count to 10.....

......then hit 'withdraw'.
  • edited August 2014
    Blimey. You were welcomed to the forum a number of times on this thread, and people have engaged with the topic (positively and negatively), it is a shame you seem to want to dictate who is allowed a bit of banter and how.

FWIW, I don't think it's a terrible idea this - for the reasons outlined by Shakin that it could create an environment for 1-tabling rec players.  3 seconds probably a little too quick though, I would struggle to gather info, select my bet-size and type it in the box (sometimes deleting and trying again) in time. 5-8secs might be better.

With regard to your analogy, sex isn't just for consenting adults, and perhaps that serves to highlight why you may feel you've been abused.
  • edited August 2014
    Mate, I was the brunt of most of the (lighthearted) jibes on this thread, which is patently obvious if you read the comments in the correct order and without the attitude you appear to have brought with you to this forum. So you can either grow a pair and admit you were wrong, or you can leave and close the door on your way out, although it would appear you have already decided to be the victim in this thread, thrown your toys out of the pram, and headed for another site, and my words are perhaps more pointless than they usually are.

Good luck over there, and if you ever want to apologise to the people you have offended over here, maybe you'll get another chance. I'm sure Tikay will be the bigger man. Someone's got to, right?

As for me, well... those bridges are burning.

Out.
  • edited August 2014
    Blimey. You were welcomed to the forum a number of times on this thread, and people have engaged with the topic (positively and negatively), it is a shame you seem to want to dictate who is allowed a bit of banter and how. FWIW, I don't think it's a terrible idea this - for the reasons outlined by Shakin that it could create an environment for 1-tabling rec players.  3 seconds probably a little too quick though, I would struggle to gather info, select my bet-size and type it in the box (sometimes deleting and trying again) in time. 5-8secs might be better. With regard to your analogy, sex isn't just for consenting adults, and perhaps that serves to highlight why you may feel you've been abused.
    Posted by bbMike
    bbMike - "sex isn't just for consenting adults". I'm somewhat surprised anyone would admit to that line of thinking on any public forum...

And I have no problem with the many reasoned and supportive posts I have received and I have clearly and obviously thanked all of them for their contribution. However, I DO have issues with people who think it's fine to hide insulting comments behind the label "banter". I regularly swap banter (& worse) with my friends, but not one of them would dream of upsetting anyone they did not know with the kind of stuff a couple on here have done. Regrettably, all the rest are now "tarred with the same brush" and I'm no longer playing this site.. Thank you for your comment, but goodbye all the same.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : This is your first time on a public internet forum, yes?
    Posted by shakinaces
    Certainly not. I use them a lot, and treat obvious insults exactly as I have done here. 
  • edited August 2014
    Goodbye. Best wishes.
  • edited August 2014
    What a thread. I've just read it from the start. It's like watching someone have a gradual meltdown.
  • edited August 2014
    You've said Goodbye plenty of times and yet you're still hanging around.
    Just so we're clear, this isn't banter.
    You dislike us all so very much and I'm pretty sure the feelings mutual with most forum members.
    Why not just clear off somewhere else?
  • edited August 2014
    Yeah
    just do as jac says
    he's one of the smartest guys on the forum
    and I think he's nailed it

tikay being insulting? 
    He wouldn't know how
  • edited August 2014
    Yeah just do as jac says he's one of the smartest guys on the forum and I think he's nailed it tikay being insulting?  He wouldn't know how
    Posted by GELDY
    I'm the other one.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : I'm the other one.
    Posted by Slipwater
    move on please slippy
    nothing to see here

ps maybe not as succinct as jac but yeah
    can't disagree with what you said either
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Slow play on 'Turbo' Cash games : move on please slippy nothing to see here
    Posted by GELDY
    Well, considering it was the insults directed at me that started this whole thing in the first place, I beg to differ :)
  • edited August 2014
    gimee a chance
    typing on the mobile requires multiple posts to avoid losing the lot
  • edited August 2014