You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk.

edited July 2014 in Poker Chat

It seems to have escaped much positive comment on here, but Ch 861 has been busy re-inventing itself lately.

One of the changes is the emphasis on a wider range of Guests. Some good, some not so. But more of them.

I am friends with almost all of them, & I'm pleased to see them on the telly. I don't necessarily agree that they all warrant a Guest spot, it's a subjective thing, but I agree that it is freshening up Ch 861.

It's tough to keep a Show like that fresh for 8 years, & in truth, its a miracle it has survived.

No other Site does this, & it's really quite something that Sky Poker have persisted with it.

Just try & imagine how much it has cost to run over it's lifetime, it's breathtaking. 

Anyway, after all that waffle, I wanted you to have prior warning of TWO Guests on this Thursday's Show. 

Comments

• edited July 2014
    I used to tune in for every live show (and would have it on in the background for most of my poker sessions) but the stream has taken a back seat for the last few months. I will turn on tonight for Orford and point out the shiny new bells and whistles to myself as I watch :)

Of course, the only guest we really need is you, Tikay. Everyone else is just appetiser.
  • edited July 2014

Paul Jackson (the poker player, not Jac35) is one of them.

Without a word of exaggaration, I could write a book about Paul. Not all of it praiseworthy of him, but most of it would be. 

In Live Poker, he has done two of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen since I became involved in poker. Not one other person could have done both, few would have done either.

You probably know one of them. I bet you don't know the other. One clue. He did a good thing one day in Belfast, & it cost him, in hard cash, £65,000. I was at the table, & I'll never forget it.

Back in the day, of course, Paul had a nickname aside from "ActionJack". 

He was known as the best online player ever ever ever.

Now, of course, Moorman, Brammer, Toby, Pads & co bash everyone up, & Paul is deemed old hat, as the game has changed.

But let me tell you this.

If you are a recreational player, with even a modicum of functioning grey matter betwen your ears, Paul will explain things in a way that you will understand, better than almost anyone. I've listened to, sat with, watched, thousands of poker mentors. Paul is amongst the top three ever ever ever. He is. 

Don't 'arf rattle on, mind.

Watch him, listen to him, & if your game does not improve as a result, you are not paying attention. 

Paul Jackson. Thursday's Show. Watch it & learn. 

• edited July 2014
    Out of interest, and you may not want to divulge such information, but what sort of viewing figures does the channel get? Oh and which show tends to be the most watched? 

Just curious 

• edited July 2014

The other guest is a very close & dear friend of mine. We go out with 2 others for "Grumpy Old Men" days at Museums & Airfields together. And he drones on & on. And on. 

He has a passion for buying & selling second-hand top end luxury cars. Buys them for £15k, uses them for a month, then sells them for £5k more. Been doing it for years.

He is a watch expert, too. You know, things you tell the time with. If you see him at the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC, try a little trick on him. Ask him to value your watch. He'll value it within 5%, just like that.

He was in the original "Late Night Poker", too. He had a ponytail in those days.  He's as bald as a coot these days.

But he has one very special, unique feature, apart from being the best TD in the whole of Europe. 

Nobody, anyone, ever, helps explain how Omaha works better than he does. He's incred. Just takes a deck of cards, deals everyone an Omaha hand face up, then BOOM, he has a way of explaining it so that you instantly get it. I must have showed that trick to 100 Omaha newbies, & they all improved immediately.  And none of them ever complained of a bad beat again, ever.   

He rattles on a bit, but I love him to bits.

Watch & learn.

His name is Simon Trumper.

Here he is, by coincidence, with Paul Jackson. That's Paul's best jumper, by the way.

And here's Simon in the Caribbean, St Kitts, with Rob Yong's young lady. Oioi!

• edited July 2014

Thursday, Channel 861.
  • edited July 2014

Gazumping Orford's show thread for tonight. WP.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk.:
    Gazumping Orford's show thread for tonight. WP.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    WINNER.

I never even knew he had a Show tonight.

I'm sure both of his fans will enjoy it.

• edited July 2014
    Thought Alex Goulder was a cracking guest the other month. Looking forward to Mr Leonard....
  • edited July 2014
    Might be better to keep the TV channel as cheap as possible, I like watching it and think it is a good thing sky poker has it but I don't really care which guests are on, same, same with some more annoying than others. I just like watching the cash tables and late MTT tables

Spend the money on reducing rake and more promotions rather than having 'special' guests on
  • edited July 2014
    He was in the original "Late Night Poker", too. He had a ponytail in those days.  He's as bald as a coot these days. 

What a coincidence I was watching an old episode of LNP last night on You Tube (think it was the first series) and was thinking one guy at the table looked very familiar, long dark hair scraped back into a pony tail, turned out to be Simon Trumper!!

Think he looks better now without the hair

Mother
    xx
  • edited July 2014
    id like to know neil channings opinion of simon trumper...
  • edited July 2014
    Thought Alex Goulder was a cracking guest the other month. Looking forward to Mr Leonard....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Alex? Yes, I thought he was amongst the best we have ever had. Rarely, amongst Guests, he wholly undestands poker "message".  

I'm hoping we can get him again, & I have put his name forward to the 861 Suity people.

However, after the 6-Max UKPC, Alex plans to travel extensively overseas, so I hope 861, if they want him, get him soon.

Patrick Leonard, this Sunday? Unforch, due to some Passport problems, he has had to cancel his planned trip to London, & so won't be on the Show this sunday. (He lives in Budapest).

However, Rob Yong WILL be on Sunday's Show. BOOMIO
  • edited July 2014
    He was in the original "Late Night Poker", too. He had a ponytail in those days.  He's as bald as a coot these days.  What a coincidence I was watching an old episode of LNP last night on You Tube (think it was the first series) and was thinking one guy at the table looked very familiar, long dark hair scraped back into a pony tail, turned out to be Simon Trumper!! Think he looks better now without the hair Mother xx
    Posted by Amarie
    Morning Mother.

Yes, he sported a pony-tail in those days.

I'm sure Simon won't mind me telling you that he suffered from alopecia (which I originally thought, wrongly, meant "bad breath"....), but yes, he looks better now.

Anyway, he'll be on 861 tonight. sans pony-tail.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk. : Morning Mother. Yes, he sported a pony-tail in those days.   I'm sure Simon won't mind me telling you that he suffered from alopecia (which I originally thought, wrongly, meant "bad breath"....), but yes, he looks better now. Anyway, he'll be on 861 tonight. sans pony-tail.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    What time will he turn up ? :-)
  • edited July 2014
    id like to know neil channings opinion of simon trumper...
    Posted by robertod
    I'll ask him then.

I can tell you they get along just fine. Both go back a long way, they used to play at Grosvenor Reading back in the day, as did so many other of the old-timers, including The Camel (Keith Hawkins), Graham "Give Me The Money Honey" Pound, & dear old Bob Coombes.

It was to Bob Coombes whom I ridiculously donated my chips in the first ever EPT Deauville, when I was on the cusp of making the Final Table, on my way to fame & fortune. Instead, it all went rather badly wrong.....

The winner of that EPT, wayyyy back in 2005, was a splendid young man who I've kept very much in touch with, we still communicate regularly, a chap named Brandon Schaefer.

Brandon sort of disappeared from public view, before suddenly popping up in 2012 & winning a WSOP bracelet.

Where had he been? Therein lies a wonderful story, penned by another special friend of mine, WSOP Comms Direrctor Nolan Dalla.....

http://www.wsop.com/news/2012/Mar/3831/BRANDON-SCHAEFER-WE-SALUTE-YOU.html

There you go, an interesting question, which tweaked the memory buds, & produced - I hope - an interesting reply. Ish.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk. : What time will he turn up ? :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    I've set the over/under line @ 8.45pm.
  • edited July 2014
    Might be better to keep the TV channel as cheap as possible, I like watching it and think it is a good thing sky poker has it but I don't really care which guests are on, same, same with some more annoying than others. I just like watching the cash tables and late MTT tables Spend the money on reducing rake and more promotions rather than having 'special' guests on
    Posted by salazar
    We don't all like the same things though, which is a good thing really. Many of the 861 viewers only tune in to see Guests. No other Online Poker site does these things, & personally, I think it's excellent that Sky Poker are still running it, it is in it's eighth year now.

And for the record, the Guests have not, do not, & never will, receive an appearance or Guest Fee.

• edited July 2014

Probably a good time to mention that......

There will NOT be any "Live" Shows on Ch 861 during week commencing 11th August, so the Tuesday 12th, Thursday 14th & Sunday 17th Live Shows will NOT take place.

This is because Team 861 will spend all week up at the Sky Poker UKPC 6-Max, recording a TV Show for later transmission in 4 or 6 parts on Sky Sports, Challenge TV, You Tube & in due course, Ch 861.
  • edited July 2014
    Out of interest, and you may not want to divulge such information, but what sort of viewing figures does the channel get? Oh and which show tends to be the most watched?  Just curious 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Hi JD,

Well as you suggested, these figures, for commercial reasons, are not made widely available, as that would be exploitable, & subject to much misinterpration, as it is not quite as simple as "how many", & the measuring tools are quite complex.

Firstly, what exactly does "how many viewers?" mean?

Well meaurements are taken of how often, & long, the Show is viewed....

Live, via TV

Repeat showings.

Then they measure for HOW LONG each viewer watches. The lowest increment is 3 minutes, then gradually increasing. From that, a pattern of watching emeges, "flickers", or those who watch for longer periods. 

Encouragingly, the viewing figures seem to have near-doubled in the last 12 months.

Most watched? It's quite hard to determine a consistent pattern, but broadly.....

The Sky Poker Cash Games (all platforms)

Sky Poker UKPC (all platforms)

Betting Preview Shows (861 only)

Sky Sports Simulcasts

Various "regular" 861 Shows.

As to the stuff that goes on Sky Sports, it depends what it follows, & what it is up against.

If it is on Sky Sports immediately after a highly rated Event (say, Monday Night Football) it gets much higher ratings. But if it clashes with, say, World Cup Football, or "Bridges we Love" then that impacts the numbers.   

Seasonal variances, too, more peple watch TV in the winter, or during bad weather.

Clearly, anything which gets on Sky Sports is good for viewing figures, hence all the effort that goes into getting stuff on Sky Sports. (Cash Games, UKPC etc).

Interestingly, after Shows air on Sky Sports, Sky Poker usually gets its stuff shown on Challenge, where the viewing figures are quite spectacularly high. Who'd have thunk?  
  • edited July 2014
      And for the record, the Guests have not, do not, & never will, receive an appearance or Guest Fee.  
    Posted by Tikay10

I didn't know that. Even more kudos  to the many guests who have to travel and then sit there for hours unpaid then. It must be a very cheap night for Sky when Orford is the presenter too.....as he obv doesn't get paid either.
  • edited July 2014
    Well, as TommyD's playing full-time these days, how about inviting him back on the show. I don't think I really need to big up the man's Sky Poker credentials.

I also think MattBates might be interested in doing a tournament show some time. Once again, his credentials speak for themselves.

I'm fairly sure both would be interested in returning and both would have a fair amount of insight to offer.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk. : I didn't know that. Even more kudos  to the many guests who have to travel and then sit there for hours unpaid then. It must be a very cheap night for Sky when Orford is the presenter too.....as he obv doesn't get paid either.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Thanks Alan.

Nope, they dont get a fee. Depending on where they are from, they may get a taxi fare, or even a Hotel Room for the night on occasion (midnight finish is awkward for public transport), but nope, no fee at all

Orford? Well if he gets paid, there is no justice, but I fear he does. Too much, obv. If the Gent who complained that Guest Fees could be pit to better use had mentioned Orford, I'd have been with him every inch of the way.   
  • edited July 2014
    Well, as TommyD's playing full-time these days, how about inviting him back on the show. I don't think I really need to big up the man's Sky Poker credentials. I also think MattBates might be interested in doing a tournament show some time. Once again, his credentials speak for themselves. I'm fairly sure both would be interested in returning and both would have a fair amount of insight to offer.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Watch this space.......;)
  • edited July 2014

Sadly, due to illness in his immediate family, Simon Trumper will NOT be on tonight's Show.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk. : We don't all like the same things though, which is a good thing really. Many of the 861 viewers only tune in to see Guests. No other Online Poker site does these things, & personally, I think it's excellent that Sky Poker are still running it, it is in it's eighth year now.   And for the record, the Guests have not, do not, & never will, receive an appearance or Guest Fee.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well if they're free then they might just be worth it. 'Might' being the key word, the jury's still out on whether some are worth that. 

Try and get rosiedog on, that is someone's opinion worth tuning in for
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Talk, talk. Talk about talk. Talk. Talk.:
    It seems to have escaped much positive comment on here, but Ch 861 has been busy re-inventing itself lately. One of the changes is the emphasis on a wider range of Guests. Some good, some not so. But more of them. I am friends with almost all of them, & I'm pleased to see them on the telly. I don't necessarily agree that they all warrant a Guest spot, it's a subjective thing, but I agree that it is freshening up Ch 861. It's tough to keep a Show like that fresh for 8 years, & in truth, its a miracle it has survived.   No other Site does this, & it's really quite something that Sky Poker have persisted with it. Just try & imagine how much it has cost to run over it's lifetime, it's breathtaking.  Anyway, after all that waffle, I wanted you to have prior warning of TWO Guests on this Thursday's Show.  ......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    On a side issue, when Redmond lee first started explaining poker it was so easy for me to understand.
    However, because we saw his outrageous bluffs, and his ability to raise or 3 even  4 bet with air DID HIS GAME SUFFER
    BECAUSE OF TELEVISED PLAY ???
  • edited July 2014
    Just wanted to say I've been loving the new and varied guests. Agreed that some work, some don't but just keep getting more and more people on imo
  • edited July 2014
    Just wanted to say I've been loving the new and varied guests. Agreed that some work, some don't but just keep getting more and more people on imo
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes, trying to get Guests who appeal to everyone is not easy, as has been noted.

We live in incredible times.
  • edited July 2014

Something ive always wondered.
    Do these pros or semi-pros have a set working day ? do they sit at 7pm until 11pm ??
    Also do they set target wins or loses for a days play i.e. win £500 or £1000 or lose £500 or £1000
    or do they work it at a weekly rate ?
  • edited July 2014
    Something ive always wondered. Do these pros or semi-pros have a set working day ? do they sit at 7pm until 11pm ?? Also do they set target wins or loses for a days play i.e. win £500 or £1000 or lose £500 or £1000 or do they work it at a weekly rate ?
    Posted by bludreid11
    I can't imagine any 'pro' sets out to lose £500-£1000 in a session.