You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bad beat of the day? week? year? ever?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceharrypumpSmall blind 150.00150.007135.00rickgsy06Big blind 300.00450.004760.00 Your hole cards88   Herbie536Fold    tillpollCall 300.00750.003825.00rivermunkyRaise 600.001350.004760.00EKCCall 600.001950.002245.00harrypumpFold    rickgsy06Call 300.002250.004460.00tillpollFold    Flop  448   rickgsy06Check    rivermunkyCheck    EKCAll-in 2245.004495.000.00rickgsy06Fold    rivermunkyCall 2245.006740.002515.00rivermunkyShow88   EKCShow77   Turn  7   River  7   EKCWinFour 7s6740.00 6740.00

Comments

• edited August 2014

I hardly think pocket 8's losing to pocket 7's is the "bad beat of the year" Mr Munky!

Yeah, he needed runner runner perfect perfect, but if we analyse it properly, it is just an overpair being beaten, & happens to all of us, every day. HOW it happened is of no consequence, & cannot aiud iour leaqrning. We got it in good, we lost, next case.

Come play some PLO or PLO8, we'll show you some proper bad beats. The players rarely moan though, it's the nature of the game.  
  • edited August 2014

Slightly disingenuous reply from Tikay there.

How and what we take from this is what seperates the wheat from the chaff, I'm sure, but being outdrawn by a 0.1% chance is as bad as it gets in Texas NLH.

I understand what Tikay means by not aiding our learing, but Munky's posted this in BBV, not the clinic.

• edited August 2014
    Laughable response from Tikay.

Runner runner perfect perfect (can only win with 2 exact cards) is as bad an outdraw you can get in NLHE
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beat of the day? week? year? ever?:
    I hardly think pocket 8's losing to pocket 7's is the "bad beat of the year" Mr Munky! Yeah, he needed runner runner perfect perfect, but if we analyse it properly, it is just an overpair being beaten, & happens to all of us, every day. HOW it happened is of no consequence, & cannot aiud iour leaqrning. We got it in good, we lost, next case. Come play some PLO or PLO8, we'll show you some proper bad beats. The players rarely moan though, it's the nature of the game.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Think if it goes in pre flop then fair enough but after the money goes in on the flop and we get outdrawn this is a proper proper bad beat.
  • edited August 2014
    My best (worst!) bad beat I dished out on someone was very similar :)

Heads up all-in
    Me 2 2 (quack!!) vs A K
    Cards came down A A K 2 2

:D
  • edited August 2014
    best way to look at it is you lost a 50/50 flip.

if you had 77 on this run out, and he 88 it would have still gotten in on the flop.

this time you had 88, unlucky.

----

incidently you will save yourself mucho anguish if you learn to view these coolers as flips.

AQ v AJ 12bb deep. its going in no matter who has the AQ. if the J spikes, ce la vie. you are 50/50 to have either hand anyway.

run KK into AA on the bubble, soooo unfair. but you were equally as  likely to have the AA as KK.

dont worry about what happens after the money goes in.

see coolers as flips

you will enjoy the game much more.

• edited August 2014
    best way to look at it is you lost a 50/50 flip. if you had 77 on this run out, and he 88 it would have still gotten in on the flop. this time you had 88, unlucky. ---- incidently you will save yourself mucho anguish if you learn to view these coolers as flips. AQ v AJ 12bb deep. its going in no matter who has the AQ. if the J spikes, ce la vie. you are 50/50 to have either hand anyway. run KK into AA on the bubble, soooo unfair. but you were equally as  likely to have the AA as KK. dont worry about what happens after the money goes in. see coolers as flips you will enjoy the game much more.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I cant realy say this is a flip when after the money goes in he is 0.1% on flop and 2.7% on turn ! it didnt cause me anguish and i do enjoy the game teddy ! i fully undersatnd flips etc etc but this is clearly not one ! just had to share it been playing for a long time and its the 1st time its happened to me to obviously a rare thing and wanted to share it!
  • edited August 2014
    just see it as a flip.

if you had 77 you would have GII on this flop.

THIS time you had the 88 and was on the wrong side of the coin.

other times you will hold the AJ that beats AQ 12bb deep

or hold the AA that beats KK 20bb deep, noone did anything wrong, the action was inevitable and THIS time you happened to be dealt the losing hand of the cooler.

you post a LOT of bad beats. we all have them you will enjoy playing much more if you let them go and not fixate on them. 99% of bad beat stories are REALLY unintersting and involve completely standard actions.

your results will likely improve too if you focus on the quality of decisions rather than the luck of outcomes

good luck
  • edited August 2014
    just see it as a flip. if you had 77 you would have GII on this flop. THIS time you had the 88 and was on the wrong side of the coin. other times you will hold the AJ that beats AQ 12bb deep or hold the AA that beats KK 20bb deep, noone did anything wrong, the action was inevitable and THIS time you happened to be dealt the losing hand of the cooler. you post a LOT of bad beats. we all have them you will enjoy playing much more if you let them go and not fixate on them. 99% of bad beat stories are REALLY unintersting and involve completely standard actions. your results will likely improve too if you focus on the quality of decisions rather than the luck of outcomes good luck
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Hadn't noticed.
  • edited August 2014
    If you had posted this in the clinic, you'd be told it's terrible not to shove pre-flop.

It might be a bad beat... but even thinking about that is going to disguise your error.
  • edited August 2014
    +1 to Teddy/BL/TK.

Luck comes in all shapes and sizes and isn't relative to 1 street. It's like when people call a 4bet with 47o against AA, get it in on K47r and then complain when a king turn makes them lose the hand like they were realy unlucky, ignoring the fact they were about 50to1 to outflop AA in the first place. As Teddy said, if it's a situation where all the money is going in regardless then you'll be on both ends of it. Getting KK v AA late in an MTT is pretty brutal... so is getting AA v KK, just not for you.

If it goes in pre like it should then you lose an 80/20. Fwiw, if you aint jamming I even prefer limping along to minraising here, I think minraising after the limp from these stacks is the worst possible play
  • edited August 2014

I'm sorry Lambert, but you've made the same mistake as Teddy/BL/TK, by confusing this for the clinic.

Regardless of how someone 'should' analyse this hand, it's a stone cold bad beat (otherwise no hand in NLH could be classed as one) and this is the section of the forum where you can post them, which is what Munky has rightly done.
  • edited August 2014

You know you must run golden when even the worst possible bad beat in nlhe isn't enough to get you some sympathy! haha. 

Looks like it's only earlyish in a micro mtt though, no damage done. You're going to bust before the money almost everytime anyway. Just laugh at how ridiculously stooooooopid tourny poker is :P

ul munky. 
  • edited August 2014
    you keep saying a flip teddy hoe can flopping the nut house and losing to runna runna quads be a flip ??
  • edited August 2014
    one person is dealt 77, one is dealt 88.

flop is 338.

money goes in.

you were just as likely to be mr 88 as mr 77.

dont worry about it.

treat it as a flip.

----

coolers are flips. the money is going in no matter what.

the board runs out in favour of one player or another.

it doesnt matter which player you are, you are not outplaying nor being outplayed.

you will be dealt the winning hand in coolers as often as the losing one.

dont worry about it

treat it as a flip

----

you've posted that many beats that even 'perfect perfect' is positively prosaic

let them go.

they shouldnt be interesting to you, let alone others.

• edited August 2014
    as an aside and maybe a insight into the mindset of people who think beats are interesting.

i was victim to perferct perfect on the bubble of a sat on here [KK v 33, xxK33 runout]

the lad who put that beat on me was, less than a week later, whining that his KK was cracked.

whining.

coolers are flips. treat them that way and you will not get fixated on run-outs and dumb luck.

repeat: beats shouldnt be interesting to you, let alone others.
  • edited September 2014
    as an aside and maybe a insight into the mindset of people who think beats are interesting. i was victim to perferct perfect on the bubble of a sat on here [KK v 33, xxK33 runout] the lad who put that beat on me was, less than a week later, whining that his KK was cracked. whining. coolers are flips. treat them that way and you will not get fixated on run-outs and dumb luck. repeat: beats shouldnt be interesting to you, let alone others.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    strange reply ! you keep saying coolers are flips !! a flip is pretty much 50/50 usualy 52/48 when someone is .1% to win i still do not understand how you keep saying it is a flip ! im not fixated on runouts and dumb luck !and as far as i know i find some of these hands intresting and so do many other players that use thees forums ! if you are not intrested in bad beats and variances what are you doing reading the posts in this thread in the first place ?
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    Whoosh indeed.

Munky he is not saying its a flip, he is saying you should THINK of it like a flip.

AK v QQ is a flip, you win 50/50 give or take. So long term its not very plus or minus EV

likewise when you cooler someone or vice versa, its gonna happen in equal proportions both ways. You will GII with 55 v 99 just as often as 99 v 55 on a 59Khh flop so its effectively a flip because long-term you both just lose rake.

You don't win at poker from coolers (like this hand) cos they even out and you'll be in the wrong end just as often. Your winnings come from spots where there is room fir error and you make less mistakes than they do.

So in summary, coolers are like flips cos they are neutral EV essentially
  • edited September 2014
    I'ts not exactly that much of a cooler. Sevens only really a bluff catcher if some one else shoves and beating next to nothing if someone check calls.

The fact he also had running fours for a chop means your outpipped for bad beat of all time though.
  • edited September 2014
    I'ts not exactly that much of a cooler. Sevens only really a bluff catcher if some one else shoves and beating next to nothing if someone check calls. The fact he also had running fours for a chop means your outpipped for bad beat of all time though.
    Posted by seanallen
    Effective stack is like 10xBB, I'm shocked it didn't go in pre but if it didn't, I don't think anyone is or should fold 77 on 448, with these stack sizes.
  • edited September 2014
    Yeah I do know what your saying, especially given post flop action you kind of have to put it in really with the sevens.

I realise you wasn't really talking about this hand specifically aswell and just trying to explain the concept.
  • edited September 2014
    lol why are all you so called experts going on about how the hand was played,look at it like it was a flip etc etc etc....?????????????

munky posted the hand because its the 1st time in years that it has happened to him and the villian had 0.1% chance of winning....

munky is not saying 77 played bad...we would all shove 77 on that flop as most times 77 is good on 448 flop.....

why cant people just enjoy reading his post and agree that 0.1% chance of winning is what it is.....

THIS HAND WAS NOT A FLIP :)
  • edited September 2014
    *whooooshhh*
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Yes, but also not whooooshhh.

RiverMunky just posted a bad beat, he's not asking for help or advice.

Which part of this do you or Lambert not understand?
  • edited September 2014
    well said jinglema
  • edited September 2014

Gotta agree with munky, jingle and cardu.

If ever a hand was worthy of posting in bbv, it's this 1.

Otherwise why bother having a bbv at all. It's THE worst possible beat in nlhe.

Couldn't happen to a nicer munky ;)

• edited September 2014
    Gotta agree with munky, jingle and cardu. If ever a hand was worthy of posting in bbv, it's this 1. Otherwise why bother having a bbv at all. It's THE worst possible beat in nlhe. Couldn't happen to a nicer munky ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I think rivermunky is right I really shouldnt read bbv, the worst beat possible in poker, literally the itdoesntgetanymoreoutrageousthanthat worst run out, and it's UTTERLY boring.

PS gotta win dem flips.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: bad beat of the day? week? year? ever? : I think rivermunky is right I really shouldnt read bbv, the worst beat possible in poker, literally the itdoesntgetanymoreoutrageousthanthat worst run out, and it's UTTERLY boring. PS gotta win dem flips.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

If this thread bores you, then it's definitely not worth clicking in here. Of the 3,400 threads this would be in the top 1%. 

There's still the brags I guess! ;)

---------

I remember watching the Vegas qualifier final on here a couple of years ago. 

3 players left in the final, 2 packages to play for. 

As you can imagine on such a huge bubble theres alot of risk averse play going on. 

Eventually it all goes in on a flop of AKx. 

AA v KK. 

K otr. 

4.5% equity is huge compared to the 0.1% here, but it was still anything but boring, even though it was a flip!

• edited September 2014
    Hehe.

Theres a gif that did the rounds showing KK v AQhh on stars.

Flop KKx (king of hearts out), money goes in, Jh Th.

Even though its still perfect perfect its has a bit more poetry to it. Think its about the only time ive been impressed by a bad beat. Meh, frankly.

And yah a bad beat in the wsop sat will have an edge. Was it cantona who said a goal cant be be considered great unless it was truely important as well as beautiful? Maybe he was sick of matt le tissier winning goal of the month all the time...

• edited September 2014
    Wow guys come on!!

Some ridiculous replies here!! I expect so much more from seasoned regs and Tk

If there was a bad beat jackpot, like at my local, this 100% counts. I do not feel the original post is being anti sky, not saying it's rigged just showing us a true bad beat. Regardless of the opinion it should be a shove pre or not, the replies should of been more "wow that must of hurt, unlucky and thanks for sharing a genuine bad beat for once)

The examples you guys are giving of all in on flop are not bad beats. Any all in pre, however runs is poker not a bad beat. But seriously regs, this IS a bad beat. Sure got to move on and all that, but original post never said that.

I love community and read a lot, post a little. But being an ex trash talking, this sort of response does from regs and presenters do not help you. Even the top pro's in the world who share there hands on various websites talk about te odd bad beat and say unlucky, got it in good and they hit miracle. 

Also, for the record, 77 v 88 never always going in on that flop!! I see you guys make big folds with overpair to board. Is easy to put someone down, do it too trash talkers but not to a genuine bad beat post? 

Unlucky fella - thanks for sharing a genuine one - run golden in future