You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Inspiration needed....

edited November 2015 in Poker Chat
I have had a few goes at trying to keep a diary on here, most of which have lasted a few weeks or so and have then been forgot about, so im not going to bother starting a new one, what I am going to do is just give an update on whats going on and how i have been doing, and will be looking for advice on where to go from here....

It was about the beginning of the year when i last updated the forum on my plans for the year and i believe i set myself a 12k profit target, I managed to exceed that last month after final tabling the roller and was all very happy about that, but overall i would say i have been far from happy with my play il go into a bit of details about how i have been getting on... Il start with my MTTs...

MTT's by far provide me with my best results and best income, and i would say i probably enjoy that format the most too, im happy with my game and happy with my results although definitely need to learn how to up my volume, I can play 3 tables comfortable and have no problems, I can play 6 tables at a push and feel im doing ok but i definitely feel like im making mistakes here and there, anything past 6 is just too much for my brain to handle... I have tried adding one at a time etc but i genuinely feel like i just lack the brain capacity to do it so i dont know if anyone has suitable advice for being able to acheive that?? the second thing i struggle with is concentration 2-3 hours into a session, especially if im out the main event and just in the mini and a few 11quid bounty hunters, i definitely drop off my A-game and struggle to take the games seriously unless im at the final table. ive read all the mental game of poker books, and they have helped a lot i just feel like i need to block out the value of the tournament in my mind and try and play each and every one like its a roller (easier said than done)..

A few months ago I started playing Hyper HUSNG's in the day as a way to grind some extra money, build up some reward points and it gave me a break from playing MTT's the 1st 1000 games i played i showed 3% profit for ROI which i was more than happy with and i have continued to work on my game, but the last month (and my next 1000 games) has been my worst ever downswing where my ROI has dropped to just 1% and my bankroll on this site has dropped from 5k to 3.5k (£500 was a withdrawal) and that has definitely dented my confidence, im gonna look to drop down to £10 stakes for the rest of the month as it seems the sensible thing to do, advice on dealing with huge swings like this would be helpful as it really does affect your poker play and life in general i have found, i may even give up on HU all together for a few weeks and try and wait until im back over 5k bankroll.

I dont really play any other types of poker except the occasional cash game or different SNG but i know im not a great cash player and right now its not that high on my list of priorities although one day i would like to put that right.. anyway im thinking of starting some sort of challenge to get me back on track and to get me focused on my results, generally i seem to make 1k a month roughly, and its 3 months til new year so im thinking of pushing myself to make 5k by jan 1st, as im sure there will be bigger and better MTT's running at this time of year and i need to push myself into upping the volume, also if everyone knows i have set myself a 5k target hopefully that will provide some impetus for me to put the hours in..

Anyway i will set myself definite targets in the near future and tidy my post up so people can clearly see how im getting on.. im gonna try and update this once a week, although it may be more often if i have any big wins/losses or have any questions i feel i need help with, any advice is always appreciated, and if any lower stake player wants any advice themselves then i am more than happy to help...

Thanks Jordz16

Comments

• edited September 2014
    The thing I'd say about hypers is that you better get used to huge swings and tiny edges if u carry on. I dunno what u were playing befores £10s but from £20s and up your swings could easy be in the hundreds most days, being up/down £1k over a couple of weeks wouldn't be shocking. Fwiw, be happy with a 1% roi, that's not too shabby at hypers.

Its probably better imo to give turbo or speed games a go, your edge will be bigger, profits will be bigger, the swings therefore won't be quite as bad, iirc games fill up quicker, and they're still fast enough for you to be able to get good volume in
  • edited September 2014
    there's no secret to dealing with variance in hypers other than to just accept it for what it is. 1000 games is nothing you can easily beat the games in ev and still come out a pretty horrific loser in actual results over that small a sample. [see the coffeeyay graph i posted in your other thread $20k+ under ev over 9000 games!]. there's no way of measuring your ev on sky, so you have to remain confident in your game, which can be difficult in a downswing.

the turbo games are a great alternative if the swings are affecting your mindset. they play at a frantic pace here so you will be able to get volume in, and the rake is lower than what you find on other sites for comaprable games and you get a bigger starting stack so your edge will be slightly bigger so less swongage.

• edited September 2014
    All the best with your challenge, sure you'll smash it!

Your have a fantastic record in MTT's and must be one of the best tournament players on the site.

To do with Hypers, I love playing these for a bit of fun/ at start of a session or at the end of a session.

I love playing these games for short sharp sessions. I would find it difficult playing massive volume of these, as in playing for 3/4 hours solid. They are so intensive as well.

Might be worth if you are going to play these go for shorter sessions over larger ones.

• edited September 2014
    I think I may leave the hypers alone for a while, i feel like i have an edge but its so small that i dont know if i can deal long term with the swings that are bound to happen, i may try a few turbos as Lambert said ,if i get time to do some research and feel like I can adjust accordingly.. I think Im gonna do a few weeks where i try and play as many MTT's as possible, just to build up my confidence if nothing else.

I played 6 tournies tonight, 1 win, 2 final tables, 4 cashes, 1 mid stage bust out, and im still going along ok in the £22 750BH so a very good nights work for me, Im pretty knackered so going to give it a rest after this.. I have been doing some thinking about what im going to do for my Target and i have decided once i get my Rewards  money through I will leave my account on a round number either 3.5k or 4k.. and im gonna try and add 5k to that by new year. il be making a few withdrawals each month which i may include in the total, depends if i think its acheivable without... anyway rewards should be paid friday so il update it then and set out clear guidelines on what i plan to do, how im getting on,  and wherether im on track or not to hit my target on time....

Thanks for the advice and GL's
  • edited September 2014
    Finally Decided on the challenge i am setting myself! 

I have withdrawn all but £3500 out of my account (to allow myself to still be rolled for the £33 mains) and I am going to try and spin it up to £10,000, which i understand is unlikely without a big bink at some point, but I'd rather set myself a target thats too high than one too low.

90% of what I play will be tournies and sats, with the odd HUsng or cash game. I will be upping my tournament volume big time and will be looking to 6 table tournaments for at least 6 hours a night, 5 nights a week. I am going to update this at least once or twice a week and try and post up some hands from MTT's if i find myself in any tough spots.. I will probably withdraw £200 a week which I will include in my overall total.

Starting Roll  £3,500

Current Roll   £3,500 (£0 withdrawn)

Target            £10,000 
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    Exciting Jordz!
    All the best, looking forward to reading your updates!
    Ducky x
  • edited September 2014
    Good luck with your challenge.  I will look forward to your updates.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed....:
    Finally Decided on the challenge i am setting myself!  I have withdrawn all but £3500 out of my account (to allow myself to still be rolled for the £33 mains) and I am going to try and spin it up to £10,000, which i understand is unlikely without a big bink at some point, but I'd rather set myself a target thats too high than one too low. 90% of what I play will be tournies and sats, with the odd HUsng or cash game. I will be upping my tournament volume big time and will be looking to 6 table tournaments for at least 6 hours a night, 5 nights a week. I am going to update this at least once or twice a week and try and post up some hands from MTT's if i find myself in any tough spots.. I will probably withdraw £200 a week which I will include in my overall total. Starting Roll  £3,500 Current Roll   £3,500 (£0 withdrawn) Target            £10,000 
    Posted by jordz16
    Surly it seems a waste to keep so much on sky for low varience comps with small fields.  Theres a difference in what you need to have to be rolled for and what you need to have in your account were you can keep small amounts in.  Sure everyone can have a bad run so deposit some more when you need to.  Better to spread it around a few sites than to have a massive amount on sky which you dont need for the games your looking to play.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed.... : Surly it seems a waste to keep so much on sky for low varience comps with small fields.  Theres a difference in what you need to have to be rolled for and what you need to have in your account were you can keep small amounts in.  Sure everyone can have a bad run so deposit some more when you need to.  Better to spread it around a few sites than to have a massive amount on sky which you dont need for the games your looking to play.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Wise words.

You'll also struggle imo to play 6 MTTs at certain times on Sky assuming you avoid comps that are either bad value or a bad use of your time. This is especially true when you have to accept that pretty regularly you're gonna bust a couple early... nothing worse than sitting there 2tabling for 3-4 hours because the only other thing on offer is a £2.30 BH. I think it's like 8:30pm onwards or 9:30pm onwards can't remember, that they run an £11 BH pretty much hourly which is decent, but imo just keep maybe £1500 on Sky. Then you can put £1k on two different sites.... my input here would be that french sites are good :p having 3 sites to choose from gives you such a better selection of games and means you don't have to play some rubbish comp just cos it's the only thing going.

Out of interest what is your policy on the £55 BH, £55 speed BH and £110 Roller? Do you just BI direct, OR try to satellite in but BI direct if you fail OR try to satellite in but if you don't win your seat you just miss it off your schedule?

Have you worked out a daily schedule? And if so, what's the total outlay for said session (if you don't mind saying)?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed.... : Surly it seems a waste to keep so much on sky for low varience comps with small fields.  Theres a difference in what you need to have to be rolled for and what you need to have in your account were you can keep small amounts in.  Sure everyone can have a bad run so deposit some more when you need to.  Better to spread it around a few sites than to have a massive amount on sky which you dont need for the games your looking to play.
    Posted by bearlyther

I keep a decent roll on the other 4 sites i play too, i like to have 100+ buy ins on each site for the tournies i play as it just makes me feel more comfortable. I'm Probably too much of a bankroll nit but i guess that isnt a bad thing. I would say i play about 50% of my poker on sky, and this challenge i have set will only cover the games i play on sky.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed.... : Wise words. You'll also struggle imo to play 6 MTTs at certain times on Sky assuming you avoid comps that are either bad value or a bad use of your time. This is especially true when you have to accept that pretty regularly you're gonna bust a couple early... nothing worse than sitting there 2tabling for 3-4 hours because the only other thing on offer is a £2.30 BH. I think it's like 8:30pm onwards or 9:30pm onwards can't remember, that they run an £11 BH pretty much hourly which is decent, but imo just keep maybe £1500 on Sky. Then you can put £1k on two different sites.... my input here would be that french sites are good :p having 3 sites to choose from gives you such a better selection of games and means you don't have to play some rubbish comp just cos it's the only thing going. Out of interest what is your policy on the £55 BH, £55 speed BH and £110 Roller? Do you just BI direct, OR try to satellite in but BI direct if you fail OR try to satellite in but if you don't win your seat you just miss it off your schedule? Have you worked out a daily schedule? And if so, what's the total outlay for said session (if you don't mind saying)?
    Posted by Lambert180

Yeah in the daytime i will mainly play other sites or if i am on sky i will be playing HUSNG's  il mainly play on sky between 7pm-2am. and yeah i play a lot on so called french site and had a big bink on there within my first week so i have a nice roll to play with too.   with the 55's i probably wont play them until i reach £5500 although i may play a couple of sats if they look good value.. when it comes to the roller i always play the frenzies which i have a decent record in, or i will play the all ins after 8pm which normally offer value, apart from that il probably swerve them unless i start the sunday grind early and can get a couple of sats in.  No i dont have a daily schedule as such, normally 15mins before i start il have a look on the different sites and decide what i fancy, and again i dont have a chosen daily outlay i just play the tournaments i prefer which fit within my 100 buy in rule.

• edited September 2014
    GOOD LUCK jordz16...

from dev.  :)
  • edited September 2014
    Pretty bad 2 days so far... Didnt play too much saturday just around 20 HUSNG's and i reckon i broke even.. Today i have put in a lot of volume, played 9 Direct Sats today and stone bubbled 4 of them which obviously sucked, and in terms of MTT's i dont think i had one cash all day.... at one point i was down to £3100.. Luckily this evening I ran a bit better and Managed to win 2 main event Frenzies and 1 All in sat which got me out of a bit of a hole.  The main event went pretty standard, i was given a tough table, and maintained starting stack, for first 2 hours. then made a pretty loose shove with 18bb's after a Button raise and a SB call, the button raiser had qq so was good game for me. The Mini was going very well i was up to 15k and chip leader on my table, until i called off a 3 bet shove with kk, they turn over ak and manage to river it, that got me down to about average, next hand i pick up ak and 3 bet shove, get called by 99 and again was good game for me. I'm still in a few of the smaller MTT's but im gonna get an early night as i have hit the metaphorical wall.. hopefully i can run better next week.

Starting Roll  £3500

Current Roll  £3320 (£0 Withdrawn)

Target           £10000
  • edited September 2014
    Was planning to update this tomorrow, but it seems best to do it now while everything is still fresh...

This week has been HARD, literally the worst i have run in all forms of poker this year, i was about -£100 in SNG's,about -£300 in tournies, and -£100 in cash, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday i over loaded myself and played way too much and was near bubbling most tournies but definitely not playing my best... I decided to take Thursday morning off and go over my game and watch some videos and actually chill out a bit, i came back thursday night and just 4 tabled a few tournies and enjoyed my poker for a change, i was still running badly but this time it wasnt getting me down.... Then Friday I played 6 tournies and probably played the best poker i have played for the last few months and didnt cash once! but came away with a positive frame of mind and in a way i was more glad of that than i would of been of the money..

Then Saturday I had been out for a few beers in the day watching the footy, got home about 7, had dinner and a shower and planned a night in to myself, but the bordom kicked in around 9pm so i late regged the main and mini and decided to have a bit of fun.... to cut a long story short i ran awfully in the main, i kept chipping up with smal l pots but losing 80% of all ins, I wont bore you with the bad beats but somehow i survived to the money bubble and picked up kk and ak in 2 hands and got 2 double ups, at this stage i was about average stack in main and mini, it was at this stage i was picking up hands non stop, aa/kk/qq pretty much every orbit and kepts chipping up higher... i found myself down the final 2 tables on both, in the main i had mainly solid regs and played small ball poker for an hour, in the mini i had a very soft table and was able to pretty much run over it, eventually i hit the FT on both, at this stage i actually got nervous as it was my first jackpot attempt,.. the nerves didnt last long as 3rd hand in the mini have AA in the bb and the short stack button shoves, then the chip leader in the sb shoves I obviously snap call and get sucked out by JJ, needless to say i was gutted, i really took my eye off the main for a bit but once i hit the final 4 in the main i was back in the zone and a big chip leader, it was plain sailing from there as I would 4 60/40 flips and took it down.

Overall this week has still been awful as i have cashed in 5 MTTs out of 60 I have just been lucky that i managed to get a bink at a well needed time. Also this week taught me just how important work away from the table is and that is something i am going to put more work into in the future. anyway.....

Starting Roll  £3500

Current Roll  £4550 (£500 jackpot money to come) (£200 Withdrawn)

Target           £10000

• edited September 2014
    wtg Jordz :)
    take it easy!
  • edited September 2014

Still need inspiration?

;)
  • edited September 2014
    Nice result mate.
  • edited September 2014
    Insiration is a bit like friends... I haven't got any.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Jordz. 
    I think I bave been at your table a few times in last couple of weeks. Maybe main FT on Tue? 
    I have read your thread and I used to grind similar games that you play, but on another site. I have experienced similar things that you have mentioned and for what it's worth I will tell you how I dealt with them, or in some cases attempted to deal with them. 
    I am on my phone now so can't copy/highlight to reply but I will do later.
    Good luck. Not that it sounds like you need any ;-)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Inspiration needed....:
     i just feel like i need to block out the value of the tournament in my mind and try and play each and every one like its a roller (easier said than done)..  
    Posted by jordz16
    Having seen your stats I now realise there is probably not much I could advise without it seeming like i'm teaching my Grandma how to suck eggs. 
    However, on the above point I had the very same issue and still do to some extent. what I do is... Tile the tables I am playing at and reorganise them in order, putting the tournament that has been running the longest at the top right of screen.The next longest running next to it,,and so on, so I prioritise them based on how near to the end of tournament they are as opposed to their buy in. I Know top right is generally nearer to cashing than others. Although obviously we need to apply equal effort to them all as much as poss. I hope this makes sense to you and maybe even helps a little. who knows? Either way, keep it going 
    mate, they are some very impressive long term stats you have there.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Inspiration needed.... : Having seen your stats I now realise there is probably not much I could advise without it seeming like i'm teaching my Grandma how to suck eggs.  However, on the above point I had the very same issue and still do to some extent. what I do is... Tile the tables I am playing at and reorganise them in order, putting the tournament that has been running the longest at the top right of screen.The next longest running next to it,,and so on, so I prioritise them based on how near to the end of tournament they are as opposed to their buy in. I Know top right is generally nearer to cashing than others. Although obviously we need to apply equal effort to them all as much as poss. I hope this makes sense to you and maybe even helps a little. who knows? Either way, keep it going  mate, they are some very impressive long term stats you have there.
    Posted by The_Hux

Only just seen this, thanks for the advice mate 
  • edited September 2014
    Been over a week since i updated but i have had good reason for that, i have hardly played much. I noticed i had 5k points and had the option of grinding big time for priority, or taking a few days off, i eventually decided with the latter.. 

I did still decide to play the main and mini each night but that was only for fun and i gave myself the rest of the day to either work out, see friends and family or generally just chill out, very much glad that i picked that option as i feel far more re-energised and in a more positive frame of mind.

As for the poker when i have played generally it hasnt gone too well, I learnt the basics of OMAHA (so i thought) and donked around £100 on the cash tables over 4-5 hours,... the Hypers have gone pretty well managed a 65% win rate over my last 100. Tournies have just been a lot of near misses, on monday night i was in the top 4 in the main and mini with 25 left in each... in the main i ran my KK into a7 on a 237 board and lost to an ace on the river for a massive pot, then lost my qq v 55 aipf 2 hands later, so luck wasnt really on my side that day, i bubbled the mini anyway when i ran my 99 into kk 3handed so i wouldnt have been on for any jackpot money anyway....

As for the rest of the week im going to try and get a bit more volume in but i certainly wont be pushing myself too hard, il wait for either a UKOPS or a promotion that will benefit me before i go back to playing 12 hours a day again.

Starting Roll  £3500

Current Roll  £4475  (£500 Withdrawn)

Target           £10000
  • edited September 2014
    Alright mte, just posting as I have shared a couple of tables with you recently and must say, you have a extremely good game, realy impressed.
    Can defo see you being 1 of the top players on site as tommy, matt and divs in the nx 12 months.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to 10k by 31/12/2014?:
    Starting Roll  £3500
     Current Roll  £4475  (£500 Withdrawn) 
    Target           £10000
    Posted by jordz16

Hi Jordzy,

Enjoying the read. Could I ask for clarification  tho (as I'm a bit thick!) When you say £4475 & £500 withdrawn,   do you mean your ACTUAL roll (in relation to your target) is £4975?  or is it now ACTUALLY £3975 after you've withdrawn £500 but in reality (re target) £4475?  

P,s,  even more confused now lolz! 

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: 10k by 31/12/2014?:
    In Response to 10k by 31/12/2014? : Hi Jordzy, Enjoying the read. Could I ask for clarification  tho (as I'm a bit thick!) When you say £4475 & £500 withdrawn,   do you mean your ACTUAL roll (in relation to your target) is £4975?  or is it now ACTUALLY £3975 after you've withdrawn £500 but in reality (re target) £4475?   P,s,  even more confused now lolz! 
    Posted by Glenelg
    you got it right first time, I have £4475 currently in my account, and i would have had £4975 had i not withdrawn the money... all money i withdraw will still count towards my target so currently im £5025 away from getting there

• edited September 2014
    Alright mte, just posting as I have shared a couple of tables with you recently and must say, you have a extremely good game, realy impressed. Can defo see you being 1 of the top players on site as tommy, matt and divs in the nx 12 months.
    Posted by macapaca

thank you very much maca i very much hope you are correct as i admire all 3 of them players greatly, 

gl on your challenge also!
  • edited October 2014
    Whoops been nearly 2 weeks since i last updated it so best try and remember whats been going on...

After I last updated i took a few days off and did all the normal people stuff, i only really started playing again when the Cash Kings promotion was announced, I decided to 8 table 4nl just for experience more than anything, i knew i had no chance of winning i just wanted to test my multi-tabling ability for cheap, and to my surprise it went well. I made over £150 at 4nl over 3 days which i was very happy with, although i did learn that if i tried to play any more than 8 then i became a 4nl fish!.. once i realised i could easily manage 4nl i moved up to 5p/10p and did the same for a couple of days, I think i pretty much broke even and I eventually realised i wasnt enjoying it as i was playing somewhat robotic and that took all the fun out of it for me, but still it was the first time I was comfortable playing more than 6 tables so thats a bonus......

After that i decided to move back up to £20 hypers as i had a great run at the £10's, unfortunately i had a monster run of variance and dropped about £300 in a about 8 hours... that was a nasty dent in my bankroll, so i decided to go back to what i do best in which has always been MTT's

I played a lot of main and minis last week but mustered no more than the odd min cash, I had been playing well, but not great so I am probably as much to blame as variance, I decided for a big grind on sunday and that was a bit of a nightmare! I seemed to but about 5/10 off the money in every tournament i played which i find even more frustrating than busting early on, no real bad beat stories just a lot of standard hands playing out and flips not holding... the last tournament i regged for was the £55 speed, which generally isnt in my bankroll rule but i normally choose to play it as i have a decent record in it...  i won my share of flips and took it down for about £600 which got me out of a big hole for the last week...

as for this week my plan is to put in a load more volume in MTT's and hopefully score a big bink as thats what il need if i am going to reach my goal. 

Starting Roll  £3500

Current Roll  £4065  (£700 Withdrawn)

Target           £10000

• edited November 2014
    Havent updated this in ages! mainly for 2 reasons, firstly because after my last post i barely played for a couple of weeks due to a family scare and a lack of motivation. and secondly when i came back i was actually getting some good results and i got supersticious that if i updated it on here i would i would then hit a downswing as that had been the familiar pattern so far..

But tonight seems an appropriate time to do it as i probably had my most succesful day ever, i spent the day out watching the footy on the beer and was debating whether it was worth playing or not, but after a shower and a big dinner i felt in the right frame of mind to play, but i gave myself a very limited schedule which was

£22  7pm BH
    a few frenzies for the main (which i binked at the final attempt)
    £11 mini roller
    £55 10:30 BH 

the 7pm BH went pretty well, built up a decent stack and managed to abuse the bubble well and was chip leader for a long time, after the bubble burst there was the usual 15min shove fest which i came off worst in losing my kk v 77 aip and then running qq into aces, i finally lost a flip with kq called by 1010 and i couldnt improve. but ended up with £97 including head prizes

the 8.30 mini didnt last too long for me, i know i ground my stack up to double starting pretty early but then bust after an hour, i cant remember the hand now but i remember it was all in pre and i was crushing and it tilted me for a good 20mins as i had a really good table on there..

Onto the £55 BH, this is usually full of great players and you rarely get a soft table, but luckily this was the rare occasion and i didnt recongnise one name at the table and the play was far from optimal, including one guy who played EVERY single hand from the start til when he bust... anyway i managed to build up my 4k stack into 18k by winning loads of small low risk pots in the first hour, when we hit the bubble i was pretty card dead but managed to make the cash and the final table with about average chips... then i had the best run of cards i remember, the final table lasted less  than 3 orbits, and in that time i picked up aces 3 times and QQ twice! and each time i got it all in and they all held up so i managed to take that down for £770 through pure run good.

And....

I finally managed to bink the main event too after a really tough final table!

I have no idea of my exact bankroll in terms of my target as i have withdrawn a lot and spent a bit on skybet but my current roll is way over my target so im pretty sure i hit my target a month early.

Roll on 2015

• edited November 2014