You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Inspiration needed....

Comments

• edited November 2014

Nice pokering Jordz. WP!
  • edited November 2014

Cracking night for ya, well done.
  • edited November 2014
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed....:
    Havent updated this in ages! mainly for 2 reasons, firstly because after my last post i barely played for a couple of weeks due to a family scare and a lack of motivation. and secondly when i came back i was actually getting some good results and i got supersticious that if i updated it on here i would i would then hit a downswing as that had been the familiar pattern so far.. But tonight seems an appropriate time to do it as i probably had my most succesful day ever, i spent the day out watching the footy on the beer and was debating whether it was worth playing or not, but after a shower and a big dinner i felt in the right frame of mind to play, but i gave myself a very limited schedule which was £22  7pm BH a few frenzies for the main (which i binked at the final attempt) £11 mini roller £55 10:30 BH  the 7pm BH went pretty well, built up a decent stack and managed to abuse the bubble well and was chip leader for a long time, after the bubble burst there was the usual 15min shove fest which i came off worst in losing my kk v 77 aip and then running qq into aces, i finally lost a flip with kq called by 1010 and i couldnt improve. but ended up with £97 including head prizes the 8.30 mini didnt last too long for me, i know i ground my stack up to double starting pretty early but then bust after an hour, i cant remember the hand now but i remember it was all in pre and i was crushing and it tilted me for a good 20mins as i had a really good table on there.. Onto the £55 BH, this is usually full of great players and you rarely get a soft table, but luckily this was the rare occasion and i didnt recongnise one name at the table and the play was far from optimal, including one guy who played EVERY single hand from the start til when he bust... anyway i managed to build up my 4k stack into 18k by winning loads of small low risk pots in the first hour, when we hit the bubble i was pretty card dead but managed to make the cash and the final table with about average chips... then i had the best run of cards i remember, the final table lasted less  than 3 orbits, and in that time i picked up aces 3 times and QQ twice! and each time i got it all in and they all held up so i managed to take that down for £770 through pure run good. And.... I finally managed to bink the main event too after a really tough final table! I have no idea of my exact bankroll in terms of my target as i have withdrawn a lot and spent a bit on skybet but my current roll is way over my target so im pretty sure i hit my target a month early. Roll on 2015
    Posted by jordz16

GoGoGo Mister hair :) Ace result!

• edited November 2014
    Good afternoon Jordz16.
    Excellent result, you are destined to become a top player.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
    p.s if you can spare the time a player of your class and calibre would be most welcome to play in the £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK.
  • edited November 2014
    Guess you have had worse Sundays! Top work sir, really pleased for you.
  • edited November 2014

Yeah well played mate - fairly early on I had clocked you for perhaps the toughest player on the table and you ran over everyone with your aggression as soon as you got a stack (and some nice spots). I think you were a worthy winner. Hopefully see you at a final table again sometime.

P.S. Havn't read your blog before but having a quick skim through I see you say MTT's are your preferred type of game - and mine too. What MTT's do you mostly play on the site? Personally I find it a bit frustrating because Sky is by a mile my favourite site to play on but from their current schedule its only really the Sunday Roller and the Wednesday night Rebuy that I enjoy - (the 2,000 chip Bounty Hunters which seem to run every other night just quickly become shove fests). Are there any well structured tournaments that I'm missing that you would recommend?

• edited November 2014
    Pleased to see my chips went to good use! I'll be having nightmares about that A on the river ;)

Enjoy the money :)
  • edited November 2014
    Good afternoon Jordz16. Excellent result, you are destined to become a top player. All the best. Rainman397 p.s if you can spare the time a player of your class and calibre would be most welcome to play in the £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK.
    Posted by rainman397
    cheers rainman
    I will do my best to play it one day this week.
  • edited November 2014
    Yeah well played mate - fairly early on I had clocked you for perhaps the toughest player on the table and you ran over everyone with your aggression as soon as you got a stack (and some nice spots). I think you were a worthy winner. Hopefully see you at a final table again sometime. P.S. Havn't read your blog before but having a quick skim through I see you say MTT's are your preferred type of game - and mine too. What MTT's do you mostly play on the site? Personally I find it a bit frustrating because Sky is by a mile my favourite site to play on but from their current schedule its only really the Sunday Roller and the Wednesday night Rebuy that I enjoy - (the 2,000 chip Bounty Hunters which seem to run every other night just quickly become shove fests). Are there any well structured tournaments that I'm missing that you would recommend?
    Posted by MATT8

cheers mate, in terms of daily tournaments, the 9pm £55  BH has the best structure imo, i dont play a massive schedule but i always play the main and mini and then try to play the 9pm 55BH and the 10:30 55 turbo BH and i try and mix in some £22 BH's which are a similar if not same structure to the £11 ones but they always have smaller fields and they generally play out better and are far lower variance. sky isnt great for deep structured events, but there is still decent value to be had in the turbos even if they dont always feel the most skillful to play
  • edited November 2014
    Pleased to see my chips went to good use! I'll be having nightmares about that A on the river ;) Enjoy the money :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

about 2 mins before the hand i remember saying its better to be lucky than good!, in fact I took the tournament down after spiking an ace on the river when it was all in pre! so i definitely cant complain of running bad for a few weeks
  • edited November 2014
    Congratulations on a fantastic Sunday Jordz... I think I now know where to come for help in being less c.rap at tournaments!
  • edited November 2014
    Good result mate wp.
  • edited November 2014

Well done Jordz!

See also
    THIS
  • edited November 2014
    Firstly thanks to everyone for there comments, much appreciated....

I'm after a bit of advice now, Ive had some great results of late, and im kind of thinking to myself where do i go next?? it is only a little over 2 years ago i played my first ever hand of poker and i spent my first 6 months of playing spewing money off. and now i have got myself into a position where i feel comfortable playing all tournaments at all levels on the site..

so what do you think i should do next?? 

my cash game is super bad, i feel like i can win at levels up to 20nl and probably break even up to 40nl and if i play any higher i get owned... so i was thinking i should get some proper coaching in that area as thats the way most people make a living right? id happily pay for a coach if i felt it would be profitable for me, or i might just look to find a cash player who wants help with mtts and look to swap knowledge with them about both subjects.

another option is spread myself over more sites, play more tables and more hours and try and become better that way and carry on improving at mtts, although a big worry of mine is that i will stop enjoying playing the game and it will become a grind and thats not what i want to do with my life. 

there have been lots of other stuff i have thought about but they are just possible oppotunities and certainly not set in stone, il be thinking about this for the next month as i would like to set myself some solid targets for next year to help me really focus more and give me that added impetus,

any input is more than welcome...
  • edited November 2014
    Jordz, you're a tournament boss. Who cares about cash when you can bink dozens of buy ins by winning the Roller? :)

Thinking having rolls on various sites might be the way forward. Sky is pretty limited for tournaments most days. Maybe just keep your usual Sky schedule, perhaps drop a couple of the lesser tournaments and replace with some stuff on Stars/888...
  • edited November 2014
    Jordz, you're a tournament boss. Who cares about cash when you can bink dozens of buy ins by winning the Roller? :) Thinking having rolls on various sites might be the way forward. Sky is pretty limited for tournaments most days. Maybe just keep your usual Sky schedule, perhaps drop a couple of the lesser tournaments and replace with some stuff on Stars/888...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

yeah im never gonna not play tournaments, id just like to round my game off more, because sometimes you can go months without a bink and it gets depressing would nice to be able to know i have the ability to grind some decent cash out on the side!!

i need to learn to play more tables, i generally play 4 maximum right now. so i can pretty much find 4 decent tournaments on sky to play, i do play on stars and winamax too but only the odd daytime tournament.
  • edited November 2014
    Well done mate. It seems like every time I look at a tourney leader board lately you are up there at the top end. Maybe you should change the thread title because you have clearly found inspiration from somewhere. Maybe change it to large safe needed..lol.
  • edited December 2014
    Wasn't going to update this until i had came up with my goal for next year (which im still looking for ideas for) but i had been thinking about my stategy from last nights roller...

I had a softish table most of the way through the first half of the tournament and had a decent stack, then a few very good players arrived and i tightened up and just coolered one of them in a big hand to give myself chip lead at about 40 out... with 23 paid my plan was to put pressure on all the short stacks which worked fine for me until i got a table move, i now had a table full of good solid players none of which were sub 15bbs, and 2 players had similar stacks to me, I generally would stay out of the way of these players but at the same time i want to target a final table spot. I knew i was never going to be given chips in the near future as all players were solid, so i took a few flips 2 where i had a slight edge, 2 where i was a slight dog, managed to lose all 4 and i was bust with a min cash..... Normally i would say "oh well gotta win flips to win tournies" but i cant help thinking that had i have passed up them oppotunities i could have got a table move in the near future as there were still quite a lot of players in the tournament i felt i had a big edge over....   so would really like to know whether other people factor that in when making decisions in mtts?? or do you just look at whos on your table and then deal with each situation as it comes????

also, managed to bink a UKPC seat, and this will be my second UKPC, first time round i was super nervous as it was my first ever time playing live!! hopefully the nerves will be a lot less this time round, so would just like to make a point of meeting as many sky regs as possible and enjoying the experience so will be looking forward to that...
  • edited December 2014
    FINAL ROUND UP OF 2014

I started the year as a mid stakes MTT player, i mainly played the 5.50/11 tournies with the odd 22BH and main event if i fancied a punt or managed to sat in, I had a rough ride of things early on loads of min cashes in main events and loads of final tables in smaller events without ever actually taking anything down... I was always someone who put in a bit of effort off the table, I'd read the odd article watch the odd video and read a poker book once in a while, but half way through the year when my BR was looking the same as it was at the beginning of the year, I realised I had to make some sort of change if i was to actually kick on and acheive anything. I took a week off and put in over 50 hours of solid revision  in any forms i could, I also gave up alcohol and kicked out as much bad food from my diet as possible. (thought about becoming a vegan but the thought of never eating steak again was too horrific) When i got back to the tables my fortunes seemed to change instantly, within 1 week i had won a main event and final tabled another, i was only playing 4 tables (instead of 6) at a time but i felt as though my mental edge on all 4 tables was making it a more profitable way to play, since then I have of course had the odd bad week, even one bad month, but i have had complete faith in my game which is something i never had 12 months ago. I cannot express how much a clean living lifetstyle has helped improve my life and not just my poker life, being able to sit down for a session and know that in 10 hours time I will still have the same concentration levels is a great feeling to have. Anyway without whittling on too much il leave it here and just say I have really enjoyed my year

NOW FOR NEXT YEAR

I still havent narrowed down any exact targets or goals, which is mainly because i dont really know what is next for me, I may not be playing on the site as of next year due to a legal issue I am currently pursuing but i wont go into that here.... I know i need to play more live poker, I dont enjoy live poker as much, as i never feel as relaxed as when i am at home and that can mean i end up playing my B game when im at the table, but i guess that will just come with time and experience, I wont be setting any money based targets thats for sure as I have realised that you can become more obsessed by the numbers than with how you are actually playing. I'd definitely love some input and advice on what kind of targets i should be setting, anything that will take lots of hard work but is also acheiveable will do.

Finally.... Just want to say a big thank you to everyone I have shared a table with (especially the Outlaws) in the last 12 months, every single player (bar a few random abusive non regs) have been a pleasure to share a table with, I have received great advice and had a laugh along the way.

I hope everyone has a fantastic New Years 

all the best

Jordz16
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post J.  Strange how -  the more we put in the more we get out?  Well done on the UKOPS bink.  I'll have you as my Capt. in the comp thats usually run. ;-)   GL
  • edited December 2014
    What a great end to the year! Jordz, you are the inspiration :)
  • edited December 2014
    Nice round up, great end to a very impressive year. GL in 2015 
  • edited December 2014
    Yeah it's def been a great year for you. Gotta be the most improved player this year by a country mile. Fair play to you and good to see you getting the results you clearly deserve after putting in the work off the tables.

This brings me to my question for you. Apart from a lucky bink in a HU promo (had to get that in lol) I have been pretty much break even for the past couple of years now, my game has stalled as others have improved. I have never put any/much work in off the tables but I feel I really need to now in order to try and improve. So would you mind telling what sites/videos etc. (for mtt) you looked at because they have obviously help you push on to become a consistent winner.

Congrats again and Happy New Year
  • edited December 2014
    Hi Jordan

Congratulations on your recent run and it looks like 2014 was a pretty good year for you poker wise. I hope that things continue to go well and that you get all you want and more from 2015.

Although I haven't played that many times with you at the same table (thankfully!) I have kept an eye on you and I am very impressed, you certainly have a far better grasp of the game than most of us.

I hope to cross paths with you on the occasional final table in 2015 and, if I do, please be a good lad and leave me with a chip or two.

Cheers

Paul
    (fellow Outlaw)

• edited December 2014
    Yeah it's def been a great year for you. Gotta be the most improved player this year by a country mile. Fair play to you and good to see you getting the results you clearly deserve after putting in the work off the tables. This brings me to my question for you. Apart from a lucky bink in a HU promo (had to get that in lol) I have been pretty much break even for the past couple of years now, my game has stalled as others have improved. I have never put any/much work in off the tables but I feel I really need to now in order to try and improve. So would you mind telling what sites/videos etc. (for mtt) you looked at because they have obviously help you push on to become a consistent winner. Congrats again and Happy New Year
    Posted by waller02
    Ah if only you were an Outlaw!
  • edited December 2014
    Hey waller, I have never really seen huge benefit in poker videos, but generally i have just been watching poker on tv and online and instead of watching for enjoyment i would just work out what they were thinking in certain situations and try and put myself in their shoes for different hands. In terms of strategy I have probably just read 100's of blogs and mtt strategy pages just from googling them, and as soon as i thought i had learnt something new then i would play a small mtt and try and implement whatever it was that i wanted to try out. what improved me most was reading, and I know it probably wont surprise you but reading mental game of poker 1/2 both twice has helped the most.... most players have a good "A game" when they know they are playing well and making good decisions and i found reading them books made me learn how to play my A game 90% of the time for long periods as opposed to the odd session.   I also read "how to win poker tournaments 1 hand at a time" that really helped engrain all aspects of MTTs so it came more naturally to me. 

all the best for next year
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed.... : Ah if only you were an Outlaw!
    Posted by Enut

Haha I'm happy to help out anyone. Im trying to give us outlaws a good name!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Inspiration needed.... : Haha I'm happy to help out anyone. Im trying to give us outlaws a good name!
    Posted by jordz16
    Good luck with that ;)

Great year Jordan, cracking results topped off by running away with the player of the series. And you have shed loads of hair.

Nothing to be jealous of whatsoever. Nothing at all...... :(
  • edited December 2014
    Jordan, echoed congrats from me, a decent year and a great way to finish. GL in the UKPC event, it's monsta! I only had one decent run in a UKOPs event, finished 9th - shared a table with you for a while whilst you had all the chips. You played very well and wasn't surprised to see you'd won it. 

Right now I'm very much where you were this time last year so you've struck a chord there by banging the drum for studying and improving.

Run well in 2015 and get the lot.