You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hijacking another thread

edited September 2014 in Poker Chat

Hi all,
  I was going through the poker chat recently,and found lamberts challenge.
  Dym,s from 60p to £200.I decided to take up this challenge,and to try and keep a sort of ,story telling of my exploits.
  S o i do apoligise if i seem to been overly keen,about telling of my exploits.
  Any feedback would be helpful

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Feedback about your spelling, punctuation, and paragraph skills... or just about the poker? ;)
  • edited September 2014
    life in general

• edited September 2014

Well my spelling,grammar,and punctuation,are probaly not as they should be.However at the tender age of 14,i left home,and went to work.The person i was working for was made my legal gauradian.Unfortuatley his main focus was to make sure that i worked,i suppose he got monies worth.so therefore my schooling,was all but over.

Now if you cld correct my posts ,and then re post them ,i would be eternaly grateful slipwater
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread:
      Well my spelling,grammar,and punctuation,are probaly not as they should be.However at the tender age of 14,i left home,and went to work.The person i was working for was made my legal gauradian.Unfortuatley his main focus was to make sure that i worked,i suppose he got monies worth.so therefore my schooling,was all but over. Now if you cld correct my posts ,and then re post them ,i would be eternaly grateful slipwater
    Posted by thejudge10
    I do sarcasm too :)
  • edited September 2014

No mate that was all true, i was working full time in a racing stable,when i should have been at school.
  • edited September 2014
       No mate that was all true, i was working full time in a racing stable,when i should have been at school.
    Posted by thejudge10
    Good luck with your challenge.  Ignore the criticism about your use of grammar and spelling.  Can;t think of many, if any, top poker players with degrees from oxbridge, harvard or yale.

Good luck on the tables
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Good luck with your challenge.  Ignore the criticism about your use of grammar and spelling.  Can;t think of many, if any, top poker players with degrees from oxbridge, harvard or yale. Good luck on the tables
    Posted by tsarina
    It was a joke, as evidenced by the ;) in the post.

Sigh.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : It was a joke, as evidenced by the ;) in the post. Sigh.
    Posted by Slipwater
    It's only a joke if so perceived and understood by the recipient, which it clearly wasn't judging from his response.  Sigh
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : It's only a joke if so perceived and understood by the recipient, which it clearly wasn't judging from his response.  Sigh
    Posted by tsarina
    Jokes are jokes, whether you think they're funny or not.

He's asked for life advice - I was preparing a response.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Jokes are jokes, whether you think they're funny or not. He's asked for life advice - I was preparing a response.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Many people seem to suffer from a misconception that putting a smiley logo after a sentence seems to make something per se funny.

I don't think OP was in fact asking for a life coach, more comments on his challenge, which he will give updates on as he progresses.

Anyway, slipwater, I am sure we both have better ways to spend our time rather than speculating on the innermost thoughts of the OP.  Good luck on the tables.

I am looking forward to getting a progress report on the poker challenge
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Many people seem to suffer from a misconception that putting a smiley logo after a sentence seems to make something per se funny. I don't think OP was in fact asking for a life coach, more comments on his challenge, which he will give updates on as he progresses. Anyway, slipwater, I am sure we both have better ways to spend our time rather than speculating on the innermost thoughts of the OP.  Good luck on the tables. I am looking forward to getting a progress report on the poker challenge
    Posted by tsarina
    Tsarina - you've done a fantastic job of making the thread title prophetic and bitterly ironic.

Good luck Judge. I'll be back for the updates :)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Tsarina - you've done a fantastic job of making the thread title prophetic and bitterly ironic. Good luck Judge. I'll be back for the updates :)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Pot, kettle, black.     Sigh

Good luck Judge
  • edited September 2014
    Well slipwater it was not a good response.to life advice,you i no can write very good storeys and have had some  published,please think before you type your answer back to me,i will never have the skills you have.for writing and spelling and punctuation,even if you thought it was a joke with a smiley face
  • edited September 2014
    Calm down, folks.

The guy finished his opening post with, "Any feedback would be helpful", so I made a rudimentary comment - with my tongue firmly in my cheek - which actually does fulfil the criteria of being any help.

It was one line, which I'm sure Judge is over already.
  • edited September 2014
    And what help did you give him with your feedback
  • edited September 2014
    And what help did you give him with your feedback
    Posted by paige55
    I asked him a question, Paige.

It's always best to ask an old lady if she wants help crossing the street before you grab her arm and start dodging the traffic.

Now, Judge... wipe this thread and start a new one. It, er, ain't got off to a great start.
  • edited September 2014
    Calm down, folks. The guy finished his opening post with, "Any feedback would be helpful", so I made a rudimentary comment - with my tongue firmly in my cheek - which actually does fulfil the criteria of being any help . It was one line, which I'm sure Judge is over already.
    Posted by Slipwater

The end of the post "Any feedback would be helpful" was clearly confined to the parameters set out in the rest of his post, ie feedback for progress on his challenge.

Your comment about the use of spelling and grammar may have been humorous to you.  However OP has now had to justify his post by reference to his earlier background.

The fact is that the poker forum community is a huge mix of people from all backgrounds.  There are professional players, and people who frequently play for social reasons who do not mind losing a bit of money, but play for the enjoyment.  I imagine OP may be extremely sensitive about his particular circumstances.  He may well not post again for fear of someone making "jokes" about his use of grammar and spelling.

I noticed recently that Gary Laud's thread had been hijacked by people taking the mickey.  I imagine they found that funny at the time.   However Gary Laud was clearly very upset.

Slipwater, you are clearly very articulate and intelligent.  My final comment on this is that I think we should all try and be a little more sensitive to others on the forum.

On a different note, there is a very funny programme on BBC2 called Boffins Telling Jokes right now, and that is very funny.

Stay well, and good luck on the tables

• edited September 2014
    If you re-read the posts, tsarina, you'll see where humour and sarcasm are cross-pollinated, and I'm not the only one guilty of it.

I often address language, spelling, et al in my posts, because that's my... thing. It's never intended maliciously - which most people around these parts know - and it certainly wasn't in this instance. You always run the risk of 'losing something in translation', and that is what has happened here on both sides.

Sarcasm often falls down in this medium.
  • edited September 2014
    If you re-read the posts, tsarina, you'll see where humour and sarcasm are cross-pollinated, and I'm not the only one guilty of it. I often address language, spelling, et al in my posts, because that's my... thing. It's never intended maliciously - which most people around these parts know - and it certainly wasn't in this instance. You always run the risk of 'losing something in translation', and that is what has happened here on both sides . Sarcasm often falls down in this medium.
    Posted by Slipwater
    I don;t think you're getting the point.  Sarcasm is not only considered to be the lowest form of wit, but by its very definition involves ridicule of another person. 

Here is the Oxford English Dictionary definition
    sar·casm  
    n.
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its
     victim the butt of contempt or ridicule

Whether you find the use of sarcasm to be an effective form of wit in real life is immaterial.  If you accept, as you do, that in this medium it is frequently misunderstood, then perhaps you have now found the answer you seek
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : I don;t think you're getting the point.  Sarcasm is not only considered to be the lowest form of wit, but by its very definition involves ridicule of another person.  Here is the Oxford English Dictionary definition sar·casm     n. 1.   A   cutting,   often   ironic   remark   intended   to   wound. 2.   A   form   of   wit   that   is   marked   by   the   use   of   sarcastic   language   and   is   intended   to   make   its   victim   the   butt   of   contempt   or   ridicule Whether you find the use of sarcasm in real life to be an effective form of wit in real life is immaterial.  If you accept, as you do, that in this medium it is frequently misunderstood, then perhaps you have now found the answer you seek
    Posted by tsarina
    Firstly: you cannot presume to know that Judge took offence at my post any more than I can claim to know that he didn't. He hasn't said one way or the other, so let's leave the mind reading skills to those who know how to do it properly.

Secondly: as I said earlier - the sarcasm (I believe) came from both sides. My initial post was (obviously) sarcastic, and Judge's follow up post was too, so make sure you paint us both with that brush, thanks.

Thirdly: I don't need you to tell me the definition of the word, or for you to parade the sarcasm-is-the-lowest-form-of-wit mantra, that people always use in these kinds of discussions when they have nothing of any intrinsic value to add.

I left this thread, and I thought you had too. I made a couple of throwaway comments hours ago and you've grabbed on to them like you don't know how to let go. You've said on two occasions you were leaving this thread, so, you know, do it.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Jokes are jokes, whether you think they're funny or not. He's asked for life advice - I was preparing a response.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Totally incorrect.

If you was to "joke" with someone - and they so happen to have a particular reason to take offence from the comment, if you work, and are at work in a large company, very likely result in a disciplinary or even dismissal.

If done in public - and they hit you - they can claim duress and provocation

So online - expect a response you will not like

I think you need to be clever with your "jokes" as not many people know you on here - so when you jump straight in being sarcastic, then follow that up with further inappropiate jokes - you will get ctiticised

Just saying....

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : I asked him a question, Paige. It's always best to ask an old lady if she wants help crossing the street before you grab her arm and start dodging the traffic. Now, Judge... wipe this thread and start a new one. It, er, ain't got off to a great start.
    Posted by Slipwater
    see i find this post funny,yes i need help crossing the road because i am old,and need to dodge the traffic.just you wait till you get to my age you slipwater,:):)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Totally incorrect. If you was to "joke" with someone - and they so happen to have a particular reason to take offence from the comment, if you work, and are at work in a large company, very likely result in a disciplinary or even dismissal. If done in public - and they hit you - they can claim duress and provocation So online - expect a response you will not like I think you need to be clever with your "jokes" as not many people know you on here - so when you jump straight in being sarcastic, then follow that up with further inappropiate jokes - you will get ctiticised Just saying....
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

It's a joke.

I don't find it funny.

Do you?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Firstly: you cannot presume to know that Judge took offence at my post any more than I can claim to know that he didn't. He hasn't said one way or the other, so let's leave the mind reading skills to those who know how to do it properly. Secondly: as I said earlier - the sarcasm (I believe) came from both sides. My initial post was (obviously) sarcastic, and Judge's follow up post was too, so make sure you paint us both with that brush, thanks. Thirdly: I don't need you to tell me the definition of the word, or for you to parade the sarcasm-is-the-lowest-form-of-wit mantra, that people always use in these kinds of discussions when they have nothing of any intrinsic value to add. I left this thread, and I thought you had too. I made a couple of throwaway comments hours ago and you've grabbed on to them like you don't know how to let go. You've said on two occasions you were leaving this thread, so, you know, do it.
    Posted by Slipwater
    I said exactly that an hour and a half ago.  "Anyway, slipwater, I am sure we both have better ways to spend our time rather than speculating on the innermost thoughts of the OP."

2.  I am bound to say that I have not discerned any glimmer of sarcasm on the OPs part in his follow up post.

3.  I think a reminder of the definition of sarcasm was somewhat timely.  If you accept the definition, then it rather contradicts your subsequent explanation in a number of posts.

4. I was quite happy to leave this thread some time ago.  However, Paige was clearly unhappy with your explanation, and as you have continually tried to rebut the argument, I think it only right to balance the thread by use of a contrapuntal viewpoint.

Good luck on the tables.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Why did the chicken cross the road? It's a joke. I don't find it funny. Do you?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Haha

Yes that is correct version of a joke as 99% of people will know that - however - it is still not a "joke" for the person it's aimed at if they do not  understand - not about being funny or not.  Many "jokes" are not funny - but understood its contex

FWIW, I am not taking sides on this - I know what you are like and enjoy reading your input - so for me - I see that there was no offence meant - was light hearted banter.  I also agree that people attacking you have no need to due to the fact they are fighting a battle that is not there, yet...... 

I think best bet is to resist temptation to reply fella - I know you will win with words haha

See you at tables

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Why did the chicken cross the road? It's a joke. I don't find it funny. Do you?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Is that your best point?

If so, I think maybe you should quit whilst you are (cough) not ahead.

Nice try, Slipwater
  • edited September 2014
    Tsarina, your supposition that Judge is upset by my initial comment is rather insulting to his intelligence and ability to work the sentiment of my out for himself, don't you think?

And if his follow up comment is not sarcasm then he does want life advice... but do you genuinely think that was a real request?

I think your sarcastic-o-meter is on the fritz.

This thread is giving the statue a run for its money.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : It's only a joke if so perceived and understood by the recipient, which it clearly wasn't judging from his response.  Sigh
    Posted by tsarina
    That is why I mentioned the chicken, which makes it entirely relevant.

Try to keep up, dear.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Hijacking another thread : Haha Yes that is correct version of a joke as 99% of people will know that - however - it is still not a "joke" for the person it's aimed at if they do not  understand - not about being funny or not.  Many "jokes" are not funny - but understood its contex FWIW, I am not taking sides on this - I know what you are like and enjoy reading your input - so for me - I see that there was no offence meant - was light hearted banter.  I also agree that people attacking you have no need to due to the fact they are fighting a battle that is not there, yet......  I think best bet is to resist temptation to reply fella - I know you will win with words haha See you at tables
    Posted by Nuggy962
    of course he will win he is a writer after all, did you not no that.:):)