You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Community Wall of Fame!

Comments

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame!:
    Ey Up Tom?? Thats Lancashire, East Lancashire, the Leigh - Tyldesley - Atherton triangle if i'm not mistaken. Well thats my read anyway! memfno
    Posted by memfno
    Hi memfno yes indeed it is,very well done.Leigh is my home town.How did you narrow that down,are you from around those parts my good man?
  • edited November 2014

So, unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, it's pretty much common knowledge that the online poker legend that is Chris Moorman took down the UKOPS High Roller. But I managed to catch up with his very worthy opponent, Craigcu12, who managed to bag a second place finish along with £6840, all from a £3.20 all-in satellite!

Kirsty: Firstly, congratulations on such a mean feat! It's a pretty great achievement. You're quite well known across the community, what do you enjoy most about playing on Sky Poker?

Craig: I really like the element of making friends and the fact it's all tied together with the TV channel.

K: When did you start to play poker, what got you into the game?

C: Actually I got myself into it; I was playing for fun on a gaming site and was finding it easy to win chips so I decided to give it a proper go.

K: Would you say this is one of your greatest poker achievements?

C: Yeah definitely. Prior to the High Roller I would say my greatest achievement was another second place in a Saturday night Bounty Hunter main.

K: And you got into the High Roller via a £3.20 all-in satellite, did you play many to get in?

C: I think I played two all-ins and about four High Roller quarters overall.

K: Did you have any strategy plan for playing the event?

C: My major focus was actually the main event. But having seen myself getting extreme numbers of chips and knowing it's such a small field I decided to turn my attention towards it.

K: And how was it playing heads up with Chris Moorman?

C: I think the chip stacks give him a bit of an advantage over me and soon I knew I needed to double up.

K: Did you have to adjust your game significantly?

C: I think it was easier than I expected. Part of the help was getting lots of sets and I seemed to be above average for all but the very end really.

K: Are you going to be playing any other UKOPS events?

C: Yeah I'll be playing most of them.

C: 'Overall it was great experience and I'm beginning to wonder if I could become a great poker player long term. The reason I say this is I've already got great skill in chess and I'm also very good at maths, both which are things I believe are great things for poker players to become great.'

We always harp on about how valuable playing the satellites are. Qualifying for entry into much larger tournaments for a fraction of the buy in seems to be the way to go. Just using Craig as an example, a tremendous achievement made all the more sweet by running good in an all-in satellite.

Many congratulations Craig and good luck in the rest of UKOPS.

SkyKirsty

• edited November 2014
    What an inspiration
    Craig takes his natural ability
    applies a lot of hard work and analysis
    uses the SkyPoker forums a lot to discuss hands
    and is rewarded by a hu with the world's best online mtt player
    and gives as good as he gets. 
    wonderful

• edited November 2014
    Hi Kirsty,

Welcome to the fabulous world of Sky Poker. Since this Monday it has become about 5 grand better.

And eagerly awaiting your mail to get a reaction on my UKOPS win on Monday.

Have fun!

Dirk
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : Hi Craig, Hmm... Has it gone to your junk folder possibly? If not I'll send you another in a few minutes. Thanks, Kirsty 
    Posted by SkyKirsty
    Same here Craig, I have not received an email either. Could be Kirsty, that as a new employee of Sky, you haven't passed the tight security screening yet ;)

Dirk
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : Same here Craig, I have not received an email either. Could be Kirsty, that as a new employee of Sky, you haven't passed the tight security screening yet ;) Dirk
    Posted by MrDirk
    Hi Dirk,

Could you check your junk folder too possibly? I sent your e-mail yesterday asking if you'd be interested. If so, I'll pop some questions across. :)

Kirsty 
  • edited November 2014

So it was pretty epic for us to be able to announce that online poker hero Chris Moorman was going to be playing two of our day 1 UKOPS events. But how epic to be able to say that you bust him from one?!

That’s exactly what Hamza did! Eliminating Moorman from the £20k Bounty Hunter main event last Sunday was all in a night’s work. Earning himself a freerolled seat into this Sunday’s £40,000 main event worth £110! Let’s hope the good run continues!

Kirsty: So how long have you been playing poker?

Hamza: I have been playing poker for about eight years now.

K: What got you interested in the game?

H: Funnily enough it was actually Facebook that got me into the game. You used to be able to play poker on the site and me and my friends would go on all the time just for a laugh. I had no clue how to play at this point but slowly started learning the game. This led to me and my friends having small home games every now and then, which stopped when my friend’s parents found out we were playing for real money!

K: How long have you been playing on Sky Poker?

H: I believe I’ve been playing for about 5-6 years.

K: What do you enjoy most about playing a Bounty Hunter tournament?

H: The best thing about a bounty hunter is the fact that you don’t have to wait until the later stages of the game to make some money. Every time you knock out a player and earn a bounty it’s a good feeling. Especially watching people go all-in with nothing hands just to win bounties from the short stacks – it just makes the game much more exciting!

K: And what is it about Sky Poker that you enjoy the most?

H: It’s probably the community of players, and how supportive and full of praise people can be.

K: What has been your best poker achievement to date?

H: My greatest poker success was probably a year ago during a cash session. I had been playing for 24 hours straight and made around £2500 profit. One hand I was in was for a £1000 pot, my opponent pushed all in and I called… with a Royal Flush!

K: What did it feel like busting Chris Moorman and winning a £40,000 main event seat?

H: I’m not going to lie, but I didn’t realise I did at first! But then afterwards I was pretty chuffed, for both knocking him out and winning a seat. Hopefully I can cash in the main now.

K: Have you got any kind of strategy lined up going into the main event?

H: Usually when I’m playing an MTT I have a few cash tables open at the same time which can affect my play and decisions at times. I don’t have a specific strategy but I might cut down the amount of tables I play so I can concentrate more on the main event.

K: And finally, what advice would you give to anyone new starting out in the game?

H: I would have to say the best advice is to enjoy the game. Patience is also very important when you are playing. It can be very easy to lose your strategy and game plan after receiving a bad beat, if so take a short break. Poker is a game where you are constantly learning, no matter how long you have been playing for. It’s important you’re enjoying the game in the process!

So a clash with Moorman saw Hamza coming out victorious on the other side!

Best of luck in the main event!

Kirsty

• edited November 2014
    Thank you Kirsty!
  • edited November 2014

Mr Dirk. 

Your Post has been DELETED - for your own benefit, you should NEVER Post your private e-mail addy on a Forum.

I saw the content, & have e-mailed it to Kirsty - she has it now.
  • edited November 2014
    Mr Dirk.  Your Post has been DELETED - for your own benefit, you should NEVER Post your private e-mail addy on a Forum. I saw the content, & have e-mailed it to Kirsty - she has it now.
    Posted by Tikay10

Think you will need to delete Kirsty's reply too then.

#sortitouttikay
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : Think you will need to delete Kirsty's reply too then. #sortitouttikay
    Posted by MAXALLY
    It was deleted almost as soon as it was Posted, do keep up.

Sort it out, Alan.....
  • edited November 2014
    Mr Dirk.  Your Post has been DELETED - for your own benefit, you should NEVER Post your private e-mail addy on a Forum. I saw the content, & have e-mailed it to Kirsty - she has it now.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tikay.
    What was I thinking? Anyway, I have now received and replied to Kirsty, so all is well.

Thanks again,

Dirk
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : Thanks Tikay. What was I thinking? Anyway, I have now received and replied to Kirsty, so all is well. Thanks again, Dirk
    Posted by MrDirk
    Hi Dirk,

Been pretty swamped this afternoon, I'll pop it up tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks again,
    Kirsty
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : Hi Dirk, Been pretty swamped this afternoon, I'll pop it up tomorrow morning. :) Thanks again, Kirsty
    Posted by SkyKirsty
    And Kirsty rolls the ball across the penalty area,no goalie..who is going to back heel it into the net? Over to you Harry/ Slipwater/ max ally.:)
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Community Wall of Fame! : And Kirsty rolls the ball across the penalty area,no goalie..who is going to back heel it into the net? Over to you Harry/ Slipwater/ max ally.:)
    Posted by tomgoodun
    No comment....
  • edited November 2014

...and I am too close to a ban ;)
  • edited November 2014
    Not sure I like being sandwiched between those two, for starters...

...and for seconds, surely I am above that kind of depravity ;)
  • edited November 2014
    ...and I am too close to a ban ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    You are? Surprising.

Welcome Kirsty. Decent bunch here. Most anyway ;)
  • edited November 2014

Everyone loves a good deepstack tournament, bigger stacks and longer levels make for more game play. But as we all know poker is a patience game, and a deepstack requires a lot of patience. We decided to give you a chance to test your skills in such a game with our UKOPS event on Monday 3rd. Taken down by ‘Mr Dirk’ for an impressive £5022, I catch up with the Deepstack Dominatrix to find out how poker has treated him over the last 10 years…

Kirsty: So, another popular player in the Sky Poker community. How long have you been playing poker for?

Dirk: I started playing poker about 10 years ago, after having watched a lot of poker on TV. I’ve been playing poker online at Sky since late 2008.

K:  What got you into the game? 

D: I really enjoy the combination of skill and luck in the game of poker. Without luck involved I don't think poker would be very popular, because the really skilled people would always win. With the element of luck it allows people of all skill levels to enjoy the game, and also to win occasionally.

K: Why do you enjoy Sky Poker?

D: I suppose the main reason why I enjoy Sky Poker is the combination of the online poker site and the Poker Channel on Sky TV. It really gives you a kick when your name is mentioned on TV, or when one of your hands is discussed by the poker pro's. I also have noted, that because Sky Poker is a UK only site, the banter on the chat is almost always friendly, and only very rarely I come across people who post offensive language. I have had many bad beats, but equally I have won many hands where I may be shouldn't have. You have to take these as they come and accept that poker is more than a game of skill.

K: And what is it about a deepstack tournament that you enjoy?

D: I don't have a particular preference for deepstack tournaments, but what I certainly like about them is the fact that you have to be very patient. Because of the number of hands being played, you will get some good hands, and that is when you have to take advantage, and ensure you get the maximum chips from your opponents. I still feel as though I am too aggressive in these types of tournaments. Patience is king!

K: What other types of poker tournaments take your fancy?

D: I really only play NL Hold’em poker and prefer the MTT's now, although a few years back I was playing the STT and DYM's a lot. It didn't really get me anywhere, and now I play the MTT mainly, including the satellites, which are a great way to get in cheap to the bigger tournaments.

K: Cash or Tournaments?

D:A bit of cash, but I don't seem to have mastered that very well yet. I tend to lose more money than I win at cash. As for tournaments, I have very recently taken in some advice from a fellow Dutchman in Las Vegas. He told me that many players play in tournaments, and do not shift gears as the tournament is progressing. This results in them bleeding chips, and perhaps min-cashing, but will hardly ever get them to the final stages of tournaments where all the money is. My advice to anyone playing tournaments is to watch your stack in relation to the blinds, and when the blinds start to become more than half of your starting stack, it's time to change gears. Sometime this will result in you going out before the money, but occasionally it will result in your stack growing massively, and putting you in the right frame to win the tournament.

K: Did you have a strategy when playing the event?

D: Yes, I suppose as most players do. Start off patiently, and only play premium hands, and when the blinds are big(ger) you have to play more aggressively. I also pay special attention to survival strategies, so when we're deep into the tournament I might call an all-in with an average hand, if the player going all-in is short stacked. Equally I might fold a good hand after the chip leader has gone all in. There are so many dependencies during a tournament, and although the rules are always the same, the tactics are certainly not.

K: Would you say that this is one of your biggest achievements to date?

D: This is by far my biggest win. This is mainly due to the fact that I don't tend to play tournaments with high buy-ins, but in this case I made an exception. I was also playing in the 7pm UKOPS Turbo tournament, and was doing very well in that, cashing £120, and I decided to reinvest those winnings in the bigger 8pm tournament. Now that I have a decent bankroll, I will probable play more Main Events.

K: What other results are up there in your poker archive?

D: Not too many highlights, I'm afraid. I won a live tournament 3 weeks ago in Vegas ($100 buy in, 70-ish players), and have had a few 2nd and 3rd place finishes in the Turbo Tuesday Main Events.

K: Are you planning on playing any other UKOPS events?

D:Yes, I have played Tuesday and Wednesday, but didn't do too well. I guess this is where the luck elements comes in...

K: What advice would you give to someone new starting the game?

D:I'm probably not the best person to answer this question, but since you're asking: patience, patience, patience in the beginning of a tournament, action, action, aggression in the later stages. Always know what your stack is compared to the blinds, but don't worry at all about which position you are in the tournament, until you reach the money.

Steady and solid advice from MrDirk, best of luck in the rest of UKOPS!

Kirsty

• edited November 2014
    Just seen this thread. 

Welcome Kirsty. 

Btw love this idea of the interviews of certain event winners - I'd get mattbates on speeddial if i was you though
  • edited November 2014
    Winners of the UKOPS Main Events over the weekend, check your e-mails! Hoping to add more interviews to this thread of some pretty amazing successes!
  • edited November 2014

Rounding up UKOPS saw us holding a £15,000 guaranteed Deepstack on Friday, taken down by ‘Jondabar.’ A lover of the game, I caught up with him to find out what got him into the game, and how playing a deepstack allows for him to keep on top of his parental duties!

Kirsty: How long have you been playing poker?

Jonathan: On and off for 7 years.

K: What got you into the game?

J: Playing late night poker with my boss and some friends at his pub, the Clock House Inn (hence my user name, Jondabar) and going on to organise a weekly in-house competition.

J: The sense of community, everyone is so willing to give advice and help. I also love the team aspect with DTD Monday's. I have to give a massive shout out to my team captain TASHAL and all the guys in Outlaws, only a few weeks ago I asked them for advice as I was struggling in the larger tournies and well, now look at me, Sky UKOPS bracelet winner!!

K: And what is it about a deepstack tournament that you enjoy?

J: The opportunity to change my daughters nappy without being blinded out! Lol, seriously though, it's much more the thinking game.

J: I love the Bounty Hunters as they give you the opportunity to make some money even if you don't cash by position but I have to say, I'm a bit of a speed freak as you have to make your decisions quickly.

J: Definitely tournaments for me as you pay a set entry fee so can't be tempted to spend more than you should.

K: Did you have a strategy when playing the event?

J: I think you always have a strategy but have to learn to adapt to those around you.

K: Would you say that this is one of your biggest achievements to date?

J: Not one of my biggest achievements but THE biggest achievement!

K: What other results are up there in your poker archive?

J: Nothing quite like this, although I was pleased to be overall winner for September in the monthly DTD league representing my team, Outlaws.

K: What are your thoughts on the Sky Poker UKOPS festival?

J: Quite simply brilliant and fun! There’s something for everyone.

J: Take your time, start low and work your way up, ask for advice, watch others, never over commit financially but most of all enjoy, oh...and make sure you pick a good username!

Jondbar took down the UKOPS Main Event Deepstack for £4605 along with an exclusive Sky Poker UKOPS bracelet! Such a brilliant result! Enjoy spending your winnings! 

Kirsty

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Jondabar is Wunderbar!:
    Enjoy spending your winnings!   Kirsty
    Posted by SkyKirsty
    Thank you, I've very much enjoyed spending the money including buying a new (second hand) car, laptop and donating to my poker team, Outlaws ...oh and of course a little something for my long suffering 'better half' and daughter! Just awaiting my bracelet now, thank you.
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Jondabar is Wunderbar!:
    In Response to Jondabar is Wunderbar! : Thank you, I've very much enjoyed spending the money including buying a new (second hand) car, laptop and donating to my poker team, Outlaws ...oh and of course a little something for my long suffering 'better half' and daughter! Just awaiting my bracelet now, thank you.
    Posted by jondabar
    Hi Jondabar,

Ensure you e-mail customer care to confirm your address and they'll get that sent to you.

Kind Regards,
    Kirsty
  • edited November 2014

It’s always nice to hear success stories of players that are just dipping their toes in the poker water. AndiPandy is one such story; she won the £200 Deepstack tournament last week and was chuffed with her success! I caught up with AndiPandi and her thoughts on developing her game…

Andrea: Since January this year.

A: I had a night out in the Vic in London and spent a bit of time in the poker room, it looked fascinating! I’ve always liked a flutter but this looked so much more. I’ve tried to learn on another site but didn’t really get into it. One night I was flicking through the TV channels and came across Sky Poker, I watched it for a while and was hooked! I signed up and have been playing on Sky ever since.

A: It’s very easy to use, and I like the fact it’s in sterling. Plus there’s a good choice of games, and I’ve had some good banter at the table. Some digs too, but that’s life isn’t it? The channel is also definitely a factor. I’ve never had a hand shown on there but it’s a good learning tool that’s free and it does make me smile a lot!

K: Did you have any strategy when playing the event?

A: I just try and play right, which most of the time I don’t. I sometimes try and play aggressive and it backfires and then I end up tightening up… I’m still very much learning!

K: Would you say this is one of your biggest achievements to date?

A: Definitely! I was chuffed to say the least. It was just a little justification for the work I had put in to try and get better.

A: I really am the wrong person to give advice! I’m still learning myself every time I log on. But for an absolute beginner the TV channel and the YouTube channel is a must!

The key to developing any player’s game is constant learning. Even the more advanced players will always have something new to learn. Keep ploughing on Andi, the more you learn, the more results will follow!

Sky Poker Team

• edited November 2014

Love that piece about Andrea (andipandi).

Andrea started a thread about her win, HERE

• edited November 2014
    just noticed these interviews. Good work!
  • edited November 2014
    Wrapping up some of the success stories of Sky Poker players, I spoke with 'NOZZ3R' winner of the Saturday night £15,000 Bounty Hunter. Bagging £2900 and almost a £1000 in head prizes, Paul tells me why he favours the Bounty Hunter tournaments and why he loves Sky Poker TV.

Paul: I have been playing poker for more years than I care to remember.

P: I got invited to join a poker school that met every Friday night after work. The stakes were quite high on occasions and I found that I enjoyed the banter and the challenge.

P: Straight forward access and I also enjoy watching the hands on Sky TV, listening to what the experts say. The only time I have seen my hands on TV was when I was on this final table, and the expert pointed out some of the mistakes I made, which was very enlightening and helpful. (But of course fortunately I got away with those!)

K: What is it about a Bounty Hunter tournament that you particularly enjoy?
    P: The added dimension of winning a bounty throughout a tourney keeps you on your guard and can work out very useful. Even if you do not get to the final table you could still finish up winning.

P: I tend to stick to Bounty Hunter tourneys but any Texas Hold'em is usually enjoyable.

K: Cash or tournaments?
    P: It depends on my mood and time restraints.

K: Did you have any kind of strategy when playing the event?
    P: I thought that if I could last the first two hours by playing a more conservative game than usual, I might give myself a chance of doing well, but I never expected for a moment that I would win.

K: Would you say this is your biggest achievement so far?
    P: Definitely my biggest achievement in poker, so far. :)

K: Any other results up there in your poker archive?
    P: None that compare with this Main Event win.

K: What are your thoughts on the Sky Poker UKOPS festival?
    P: Brilliant, and the bracelet I received for my win is a lovely momento.

P: I would not presume to give advice, other than to say listen to some of the commentators and experts on Sky Poker TV, and have fun!

So that's the end of the UKOPS interviews, I'll be catching up with the Main Event winners this week where all tournament guarantees are DOUBLED! Yes, DOUBLED! Look out for the next UKOPS, our Christmas edition, running from 27th-30th December.

Happy UKOPS!

Kirsty
  • edited November 2014

I thought the opportunity to interview Donttelmum, or James Jeffrey to his late Granny Mary, was a great chance to share with the community just how great the talent is that we have here at Sky Poker. I caught up with James to talk about the daily grind, how his girlfriend keeps him in check and his life away from the felt.

Kirsty: How did you get started playing poker and how long have you been playing?

James: My brother introduced me to the game about 8 years ago. I had a 'real' job back then and had plenty of disposable income so I jumped straight into the £1/£2 games. I quickly got my fingers burnt, but being competitive I was desperate to beat the games. After a while I was making more money playing poker than I was working so I decided to make it my job. These days I actually play lower stakes but more tables. I feel it lowers variance and I actually enjoy it more.

K: When did you decide to go pro?

J: 7 years ago. I spent a year splitting my time between poker and work and in the end poker won out.

K: What's the story behind the alias 'Donttelmum?'

J: My Mum is a bit old school when it comes to poker. Although I have tried to educate her she still sees poker as gambling (I must remember to e-mail her Vicky Coren's latest shenanigans). So when I decided to sign up at Sky Poker I chose the alias without her knowing about it. It wasn't until I was playing in an MTT one night and I was down to the final table that she was enlightened. My brother, who lived with my parents at the time, was watching it on Sky Poker TV. The cat was out of the bag when he was doing somersaults in the living room every time I won a pot.

K: Do you have any pre-grind rituals?

J: I usually like to play long sessions so I find it important to eat and I prefer getting the gym out of the way beforehand too. Also, a little prayer to the poker Gods. :)

K: Favourite food when playing?

J: Hmmm... my girlfriend is a lifesaver when it comes to me being fed. I get caught up in the action and could go all day without eating but she often cooks up something and it's always fab. We like a lot of Asian food and I'm big on healthy eating.

K: Online or Live?

J: I treat the two very differently. Live for me is more about having fun and enjoying a drink or two, whilst chatting to REAL people. Although if it's a big tournament I will get my game face on. Online I like to get in the zone and that's where I try and focus 100%. I play a lot online so it doesn't leave much time for playing live.

J: I play a lot more cash than I do MTT's. I do like playing MTT's but unfortunately I've got bills to pay every month.

K: Best poker achievement?

J: I'm not much of a balla so I guess managing to grind all these years and not going busto. I did recently get to play in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic which was great! I didn't manage to cash in the tournament but I did make loads of new friends.

K: How do you deal with the bad beats?

J: Well... I have got through 18 cats in the past 7 years (Jokes! Don't be calling the RSPCA just yet). I don't usually have time to go crazy as I'm usually playing 16 tables. I also find that the gym helps me vent my frustration. I've had many gym work outs fuelled by bad beats!

K: Do you ever feel like giving up?

J: Sometimes I question my chosen profession, usually on a Friday/Saturday night when I'm getting texts from friends asking me to join them in social activities. The shoe is firmly on the other foot on a Monday morning when I can relax after a long weekend's grind and they're getting up at 6am for the morning commute, or enjoying the North East's weather doing a full day of manual work outdoors. 

K: If you weren't playing poker what would you be doing?

J: I love my sport and fitness so probably doing something in the leisure industry. I've always fancied a job that involved plenty of travel but I seem to be getting more and more nervous about flying as the years go by. I don't let it stop me though, there's too much to see out there to not face my fears. Ironic that my dream job would be an astronaut!

K: Favourite hand?

J: It's all about 44. Flop set % = 80% :)

J: There are many reasons. I enjoy the games and seem to do well. Sky rewards me for working hard and I've been treated to some great days out. I enjoy the competition of the promotions and they really offer me an extra incentive to play. The TV show is great and all the people connected with it, especially the UK's version of Doyle Brunson - Tikay! JP, the Priority Account Manager is also great. He's always very prompt and knowledgeable with his replies to e-mails. The community aspect is the best, not many sites try to interact with their players with things like that. I've met loads of friends through Sky Poker and hopefully will continue to do so.

K: You're playing a 6-max cash table, with you in seat one - who takes the other five seats (living or dead?)

J: 1. Me 2. Neil Armstrong 3. Steven Gerrard 4. Granny Mary (Sadly she is not with us anymore but she used to sneak my Brother and I down to the beach to play slots.) 5. Roger Federer 6. Phil Galfond

K: Finally, what one tip would you give to someone new starting the game?

J: Enjoy it and have FUN!

It just shows that hard work is the ingredient for a successful recipe in poker. You need to take the rough with the smooth and learn to deal with the swings if you're looking to up your game to the next level - along with daily prayers to the poker Gods of course!

Written by Kirsty Buttle

• edited November 2014
    Lovely post, respect to DTM!