You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat
Pleaseeeeeeee can we have breaks in satellites!

I guess you could say it's my own fault for registering them but...
1) I wanna play them
2) I assume Sky want me to play them to pay rake and increase the fields
2) Some sats have breaks and some don't and I have no idea how to find out which is which or what the criteria is.

The break that's just gone 9:55pm is now the second break in a row tonight where I've unable to leave the computer due to no sat breaks. I really wanna grind these sats, even more so now all the UKOPS sats are here but I just can't do it if I have to wait 3-4 hours every night without a toilet or smoke break.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2014
    There seems to be no consistency.  The issue is sats starting at 6pm etc or even sats at 4pm on a sunday and having no breaks in them is absurd.  There will be people who refuse to enter these sats because there is no breaks therefore reducing the amount of seats for those sats because of it.  This has been an issue brought up many times and i really dont see why breaks cant be added into these sats.  Its completely unreasonable to expect people to play through these with no break.
  • edited December 2014
    This has been brought up before and I have no doubt will be brought up again.
    If you want to multi table cash there are no breaks, but you can if you wish sit out for a ciruit for a break. If you multi table S&G's you there are no breaks, but if you need one you just stop registering untill no tables are left, then re enter S&G's when you come back. If you multi table tournaments then there are breaks for 5 mins before the hour. If you multi table sattalites then there are problems because many don't have breaks, so there is never a time no tables are running unless you choose not to play in most of them. The problem is they are not consistant and the players have no idea whether the sattalite they are playing in have breaks. I see no reason why sattalites that are going to finish before the start of the target tiournament should not have breaks. I can also understand why tournaments thet are likely to finish after the start of the target tournament should not have breaks. These are logical if you think about it. The problem I suspect is in getting the software to cope with variables. A possible solution which unfortunaetly sounds much better than it actually is, would to include the comment this tournie has/does not have breaks of 5 mins every hour. It actually does not help a serial sattaliter like me, but at least you can say I told you so :-)
  • edited December 2014

Morning Gents.

OK, I'll send this upstairs this morning, some reasonable points there.

The point by Bearly as to consistency is also, fair to say, very fair & relevant.

Gary's post is good balance, incidentally. I play 4 & 5 hour SNG/DYM sessions, 5 or 6 at a time, & I manage, despite age & nature having the expected effect on my bladder capacity to manage x hours without a wee. 

But I'm going to ask a favour now - just indulge me whilst I add a bit of perspective. This is not the Company view, I just enjoy looking at "problems" from different angles, & on a personal level, when I see a thread like this, I can't help but have a little meander of the mind. You will understand, of course, that it is a generation thing. Times have changed, & for the most part, very much for the better. Good good, I'm all for that.

But when I see stuff like.....

"Pleaseeeeeeee can we have breaks in satellites!"

"is now the second break in a row tonight where I've unable to leave the computer due to no sat breaks"

"I have to wait 3-4 hours every night without a toilet or smoke break."

"Its completely unreasonable to expect people to play through these with no break."

I just can't do it if I have to wait 3-4 hours every night without a toilet or smoke break

I just can't help but think how we as poker players look at ourselves. We MUST HAVE a smoke breaks? (Don't worry about the non-smokers, they don't mind waiting whilst us smokers have a quick gasp).

What a life we lead, eh?

I do stress that I'll send the thread upstairs, & you make some fair points, but it just makes me look at perspective......

Please understand I'm just being reflective & maybe a touch whimsical, before anyone jumps on me.

More follows......  

• edited December 2014

My dad (he says, meandering off...) was a train driver, long distance stuff. His regular route was Paddington - Plymouth, which was an 8 hour trek back in the day. No toilets on Steam Locos, of course, & they can't take a break anyway. The train stopped once, @ Bristol, so it was two 4 hour stints without a break. They had a fireman of course, & the cab was open-sided, so they found a way to cope I suppose.

Modern trains don't have a "fireman" or second man, & I don't know the longest journey they undertake without a break, but it's probably 2 or 3 hours. They seem to manage.

Long distance coach drivers on the Motorway? No idea, but I expect they have a mandatory pee break every few hours or so.

I'm sure there must be scores of jobs where the staff can't take an hourly break. Bet they wish they were poker players, eh?

Anyway, I hope you'll excuse my little meander, & take it in the intended spirit. It's just perspective.

I've sent the thread upstairs, & I'm sure they'll look at it. And ignore my rambling. ;)   

• edited December 2014
    Nevermind wee breaks, you wouldn't want to be a crane driver the morning after a vindaloo would you?
    Or a North Sea diver.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks:
    Nevermind wee breaks, you wouldn't want to be a crane driver the morning after a vindaloo would you? Or a North Sea diver.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Ha.

Very true.

I do take the point the lads are making, but I have this sort of theory about poker players relationship with the real world, & our basic "demands" being a bit out of line with real life.

On 861 we get 4 minutes break every hour, for a 5 hour duration, so we can nip out for a wee, but we can't manage time for a smoke, any more than people can smoke on, say, a 14 hour airplane flight.

Fortunately, I'm sure everyone will ignore me, as per, I'm just rambling.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Ha. Very true. I do take the point the lads are making, but I have this sort of theory about poker players relationship with the real world, & our basic "demands" being a bit out of line with real life. On 861 we get 4 minutes break every hour, for a 5 hour duration, so we can nip out for a wee, but we can't manage time for a smoke, any more than people can smoke on, say, a 14 hour airplane flight. Fortunately, I'm sure everyone will ignore me, as per, I'm just rambling.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't really see your point about poker players relationship with the real world. 
    I think it just makes sense to have a break.
    We have them for normal mtts and so why not for satellites? 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : I don't really see your point about poker players relationship with the real world.  I think it just makes sense to have a break. We have them for normal mtts and so why not for satellites? 
    Posted by Jac35
    It was tongue in cheek Paul, a whimsical meander, (for which I apologised in advance), though if "no time for a smoke" is the worst problem a poker player has, life's not so bad is it?

Anyway, as promised earlier in the thread, some fair points, & I've sent it upstairs.

I also promise never to ramble & meander ever again. ;)

• edited December 2014
    Tikay, whilst you're at it can you ask them to make maybe 1 in 4 breaks longer than 5 minutes? Sometimes that just ain't enough time :)
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : It was tongue in cheek Paul, a whimsical meander, (for which I apologised in advance), though if "no time for a smoke" is the worst problem a poker player has, life's not so bad is it? Anyway, as promised earlier in the thread, some fair points, & I've sent it upstairs. I also promise never to ramble & meander ever again. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    I could try promising the same thing. Think I might struggle to keep it :)

• edited December 2014
    Tikay, whilst you're at it can you ask them to make maybe 1 in 4 breaks longer than 5 minutes? Sometimes that just ain't enough time :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Stop it, I'm already in trouble for having a little fun!

I just like to challenge the status quo, look at things differently.

I've promised not to do it again. ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Breaks on a sat are pretty tilting, especially when the main event has started and you're just sitting there like a wally wasting time for the break to end.

No thanks
  • edited December 2014
    Breaks on a sat are pretty tilting, especially when the main event has started and you're just sitting there like a wally wasting time for the break to end. No thanks
    Posted by alex1229

So what about the 000's of sats during the day nowhere near the starting time of the target event(s) ?

Also what sats would have a break to the main when the main has already started - aren't all the LR ones All in sats? :S

For what its worth i stopped playing sats on sky because of the lack of breaks 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : So what about the 000's of sats during the day nowhere near the starting time of the target event(s) ? Also what sats would have a break to the main when the main has already started - aren't all the LR ones All in sats? :S For what its worth i stopped playing sats on sky because of the lack of breaks 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cant you guys multitask? its easy to have a whizz while folding a couple of hands. 
  • edited December 2014
    This is the reason I tend to avoid sats on sky.
    Good for the eyes to take a break every hour for anyone doing computer work, and even more so for something as strenuous as multi-tabling poker.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Cant you guys multitask? its easy to have a whizz while folding a couple of hands. 
    Posted by alex1229
    Unfortunately my bathroom is on a different floor to my desktop pc which makes even seeing my cards on the slight impossible task. 

You also dodged my questions on your views
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Unfortunately my bathroom is on a different floor to my desktop pc which makes even seeing my cards on the slight impossible task.  You also dodged my questions on your views
    Posted by The_Don90
    Move your desktop pc to the same floor as the bathroom?

I think your in a 1% minority of users who a) still use a desktop pc b) happen to have the toilet on another floor

UL
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Move your desktop pc to the same floor as the bathroom? I think your in a 1% minority of users who a) still use a desktop pc b) happen to have the toilet on another floor UL
    Posted by alex1229
    I really don't get this line. 

Surely the layout of my house isn't a factor. And having a laptop isn't cost effective for what i use a pc for outwith Pokers. Im sure theres far more than 1% of the population in the same boat. 
  • edited December 2014
    Another point to mention regarding the breaks is that there is no information available to players as to what satelites there will be breaks in and what satelites there wont be breaks in.  It just seems to be random wheather there will be a break or not.  
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Move your desktop pc to the same floor as the bathroom? I think your in a 1% minority of users who a) still use a desktop pc b) happen to have the toilet on another floor UL
    Posted by alex1229

Maybe i should put a toilet in the living room in my house then i can also move the sink and kettle into the living room so i can make a cup of tea in there aswell.  When the company whos doing it asks me why im putting the toilet and sink in the living room il let them know so i can play satelites on sky poker im sure they will understand.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Maybe i should put a toilet in the living room in my house then i can also move the sink and kettle into the living room so i can make a cup of tea in there aswell.  When the company whos doing it asks me why im putting the toilet and sink in the living room il let them know so i can play satelites on sky poker im sure they will understand.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I wouldnt go that far, i just use an empter water bottle to pee in while i play sats, just do that??
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : I wouldnt go that far, i just use an empter water bottle to pee in while i play sats, just do that??
    Posted by alex1229
    How would i wash my hands tho?  Thats your justification for no breaks use the bottle instead really?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : How would i wash my hands tho?  Thats your justification for no breaks use the bottle instead really?
    Posted by bearlyther
    Apart from everything the lads have already said Tony, its majorly tilting not to have a break. As an old friend promise me you'll ask them to sort it out.
  • edited December 2014
    jesus.can,t peple sit out for 1 hnd 2 tops..
    i make brews for 4 of us while 3 tabling
  • edited December 2014
    I don't want this to sound like a big moan thread, it's not meant to be, it's just a polite request but I don't see why people are so against it.

I mean, lets just get rid of all breaks in all MTTs then? Cos we can all pop off for 4-5 hands and go the toilet, get a drink etc. Would everyone be happy with that? and there is no difference really, satellites are still multi-table tournaments and are still found in the same section of the lobby (because that's what they are). Surely it shouldn't be a case of justifying why we should have breaks in them, it should be justifying why we don't have them.

Fwiw, it has been justified in some cases, like when a satellite starts at 7:30pm for a comp that starts at 8pm, obviously the more delays/breaks they have, the later the winners will get entered into the target event, that makes perfect sense, but it's the minority of satellites where this is the case... I know this cos I often play them for the money and if the tourney kicked off before the satellite ended I wouldn't be able to.

I am more than happy to go and sit out for 4-5 hands in ya average MTT where I might be sat 50xBB deep at a full table, and do this occasionally, but satellites at the sharp end are nearly always vv shallow and naturally there aren't many people left so they're usually short handed. Sitting out for 4-5 hands 50xBB 6max? no big deal. Sitting out for 4-5 hands when you're 3 or 4 handed and stacks are between 5 and 10xBB has a HUGE impact, it literally can be the difference between getting a seat or not very often. If it didn't have a huge impact, I'd happily leave the table and sit out for a few mins, but it does, so I don't.
  • edited December 2014
    Just sync all sats like mtts at 5 to the hour.

Put the notice which appears on most sats that you maybe entered during late reg.

• edited December 2014
    I don't want this to sound like a big moan thread, it's not meant to be, it's just a polite request but I don't see why people are so against it. I mean, lets just get rid of all breaks in all MTTs then? Cos we can all pop off for 4-5 hands and go the toilet, get a drink etc. Would everyone be happy with that? and there is no difference really, satellites are still multi-table tournaments and are still found in the same section of the lobby (because that's what they are). Surely it shouldn't be a case of justifying why we should have breaks in them, it should be justifying why we don't have them . Fwiw, it has been justified in some cases, like when a satellite starts at 7:30pm for a comp that starts at 8pm, obviously the more delays/breaks they have, the later the winners will get entered into the target event, that makes perfect sense, but it's the minority of satellites where this is the case... I know this cos I often play them for the money and if the tourney kicked off before the satellite ended I wouldn't be able to. I am more than happy to go and sit out for 4-5 hands in ya average MTT where I might be sat 50xBB deep at a full table, and do this occasionally, but satellites at the sharp end are nearly always vv shallow and naturally there aren't many people left so they're usually short handed. Sitting out for 4-5 hands 50xBB 6max? no big deal. Sitting out for 4-5 hands when you're 3 or 4 handed and stacks are between 5 and 10xBB has a HUGE impact, it literally can be the difference between getting a seat or not very often. If it didn't have a huge impact, I'd happily leave the table and sit out for a few mins, but it does, so I don't.
    Posted by Lambert180

This! satellites are nulti table tournaments what would people be saying if sky got rid of the breaks for all mtts on the site.  It doesnt make sense to have breaks in mtts but yet not in satelites.  Also agree with this i dont think theres a need to justify why we should have breaks as its very obvious and is easier for everyone.  The question is justifying why there is no breaks which i dont understand.

• edited December 2014
    I had a look at the satelite schedule on sunday for the super roller.  Out of the 16 sats throughout the day only 1 of them included a break.  Seems strange to include a break for 1 but yet not for the rest?
  • edited December 2014
    Given the amount of UKOPS sats that will be going on it would be good to get this sorted. At the moment I cant see the logic behind whether sats have breaks or not. We are hopefully about to get an influx of additional players onto the site for UKOPS so it will be interesting to get their take on sats as I can see a lot of players being put off that there not being breaks.