You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks

2»

Comments

• edited December 2014

I sent this upstairs, it was discussed, & I'll reply accordingly shortly, either this afternoon or some time tomorrow, all being well.
  • edited December 2014

Apologies for the delayed reply.

As mentioned, I sent the thread Upstairs & asked for some comment & feedback.

The reply, in essence, is that, at present, there are no plans to change the existing arrangements.

It is understood that, for a minority, it is a little inconvenient, but there are far more players, overall, who "one-table" them, & who have no wish or need for a sync break, or mind just missing a few hands if they so desire. It's quite hard to satisfy both ends of the spectrum here. The "one-table" players are, by far, the vast majority.

Many of the Sats have a fast structure, too, often less than a 5 min clock, & they don;t have much duration to them.

It's especially frustrating to many, judging by the volume of complaints received, to have a Sync Break at 55 past, when the Sat only starts at 40 minutes past, or later. 

As with all matters, of course, they will keep it under review.

• edited December 2014
    The issue is there doesn't appear to be any rules for whether or not a sat has breaks, if there are can you set them out here please. The setting up of tournaments seems to be a very manual process which has led to problems in the past (however I will note this has improved a lot since previous UKOPS, eg the "3 max" incident). Given the number of sats it has always been an issue with wording etc in lobby descriptions and it doesn't seem to be clear whether or not sats have breaks. Can it either be clear in the lobby for each sat whether or not there is a break or can you show us the rules/logic here. At the moment there is often sats played that have no breaks and people have no idea if it shouldn't have had breaks or if a mistake has been made setting up the tournament. If it is decided that there are no breaks for ALL sats then that's fine, people can vote with their feet but at the moment there is just a whole lot of confusion.

Best Regards

The Christmas Elf!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks:
    The issue is there doesn't appear to be any rules for whether or not a sat has breaks, if there are can you set them out here please. The setting up of tournaments seems to be a very manual process which has led to problems in the past (however I will note this has improved a lot since previous UKOPS, eg the "3 max" incident). Given the number of sats it has always been an issue with wording etc in lobby descriptions and it doesn't seem to be clear whether or not sats have breaks. Can it either be clear in the lobby for each sat whether or not there is a break or can you show us the rules/logic here. At the moment there is often sats played that have no breaks and people have no idea if it shouldn't have had breaks or if a mistake has been made setting up the tournament. If it is decided that there are no breaks for ALL sats then that's fine, people can vote with their feet but at the moment there is just a whole lot of confusion. Best Regards The Christmas Elf!
    Posted by MattBates
    Thanks Big Man. Ish.

I actually think that is a very fair point, personally, I think "consistency" is good, too.  

I'll ask the question you make so eloquently & let you know.

• edited December 2014
    Apologies for the delayed reply.   As mentioned, I sent the thread Upstairs & asked for some comment & feedback. The reply, in essence, is that, at present, there are no plans to change the existing arrangements. It is understood that, for a minority, it is a little inconvenient, but there are far more players, overall, who "one-table" them, & who have no wish or need for a sync break, or mind just missing a few hands if they so desire. It's quite hard to satisfy both ends of the spectrum here. The "one-table" players are, by far, the vast majority. Many of the Sats have a fast structure, too, often less than a 5 min clock, & they don;t have much duration to them. It's especially frustrating to many, judging by the volume of complaints received, to have a Sync Break at 55 past, when the Sat only starts at 40 minutes past, or later.  As with all matters, of course, they will keep it under review.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Was thinking about this and am really surprised by this statement. Obviously you guys have the raw data to back this up so it must be right but I thought more of the players in sats would multi table, even if it was just 2 or 3 tabling. I guess one could argue that having breaks in sats would get them used to the format of the target tournament which will have the 5 minute break.

As a kind of semi related point has any thought been made to having SnG sats as these could be set up with no breaks, would not have overlay and could be starting on a regular basis and be in the SnG lobby then the MTT lobby could include MTT style sats which would have a format similar to all the rest of the MTT schedule and have the 5minute break.  
  • edited December 2014
    The thing is if we dont have breaks in these sats then we might aswell cancel breaks entirely for all mtts.  I think the breaks should either be for everything or not have breaks at all.  Also agree with matt that it would be good to know why some sats have breaks and others do not and it doesnt seem clear which do and do not have breaks.  

I think i would struggle to look in the lobby of a satelite then go to find a player and find that person only 1 tabling i dont think i could find many to be honest.  
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Was thinking about this and am really surprised by this statement. Obviously you guys have the raw data to back this up so it must be right but I thought more of the players in sats would multi table, even if it was just 2 or 3 tabling. I guess one could argue that having breaks in sats would get them used to the format of the target tournament which will have the 5 minute break. As a kind of semi related point has any thought been made to having SnG sats as these could be set up with no breaks, would not have overlay and could be starting on a regular basis and be in the SnG lobby then the MTT lobby could include MTT style sats which would have a format similar to all the rest of the MTT schedule and have the 5minute break.  
    Posted by MattBates
    I one table regularly
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Was thinking about this and am really surprised by this statement. Obviously you guys have the raw data to back this up so it must be right but I thought more of the players in sats would multi table, even if it was just 2 or 3 tabling. I guess one could argue that having breaks in sats would get them used to the format of the target tournament which will have the 5 minute break. As a kind of semi related point has any thought been made to having SnG sats as these could be set up with no breaks, would not have overlay and could be starting on a regular basis and be in the SnG lobby then the MTT lobby could include MTT style sats which would have a format similar to all the rest of the MTT schedule and have the 5minute break.  
    Posted by MattBates

Would be a very welcome addition imo
  • edited December 2014
    I think this is the main point that a few of us are trying to get across here with the consistency thing.  The last 2 nights i played the satelite for the ukops main.  This satelite starts at 9.45pm each night and has breaks.  The 2 lobbys shown in the picture here is the lobbys for both nights of this.  So after this tournaments starts 10 minutes it has a break but the others do not.  Like matt said people have the choice to play sats or not but it would be good just to know why the majority of sats dont include a break but yet all of the 9.45pm sats include a break.  It just feels a bit random which 1s do include a break and which 1s dont.
  • edited December 2014
    I think this is the main point that a few of us are trying to get across here with the consistency thing.  The last 2 nights i played the satelite for the ukops main.  This satelite starts at 9.45pm each night and has breaks.  The 2 lobbys shown in the picture here is the lobbys for both nights of this.  So after this tournaments starts 10 minutes it has a break but the others do not.  Like matt said people have the choice to play sats or not but it would be good just to know why the majority of sats dont include a break but yet all of the 9.45pm sats include a break.  It just feels a bit random which 1s do include a break and which 1s dont.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I honestly don't know why that is, there may (or may not) be good reason, & I'll try again to find out.

It's my personal view that there should be consistency, but more than that, each & every Satellite really should say, in the Lobby, whether it has a break or not.

I'm not sure it is a matter which would exercise me greatly one way or another in the greater scheme of things, but I do think MTT's & Satellites should say on the tin what they do.

Have a good Xmas, while I think of it.  
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by MattBates
    Morning Matthew Bates.

Many people are surprised by that point (that the majority one-table), but it's a fact. The elite poker players such as you & Bearly have my full respect, & I wish you all well, but the vast majority of players live in a different world completely, & it behoves us to remember that. They are, for the most part, of course, your bread & butter, too.  A very significant part of Sky Poker traffic these days is via the Mobile App, & even you must surely realise that they are all one-tabling?

As to the SNG idea, certainly worth looking at, or I would have thought so, anyway. But then you'll NOT have sync breaks anyway (SNG players don't get breaks), which, unless I am misunderstanding it, sort of defeats the idea of the thread?  
  • edited December 2014
    Most players 1 table 

This doesn't suprise me as such but I want to develop on this. 

Are for sats the study scewed - i multi table (im also far from guys like Matt and Bearly) and I don;t play sats PURELY becasue theres no breaks - are these statistics included in your study - im sure theres a few guys in a similar boat. 

Secondly - with so many competeing sites - how can we be sure these people are one tabling? (other sites also have mobile apps so multitabling is possible on these devices - i know of one major brand app that you can mutli-table on alone)
  • edited December 2014
    Flip it - if you include breaks then maybe you will attract more customers instead of thinking it will for some reason upset the current one tablers

surely from a money point of view you would prefer someoen to be playing 20 sats at a time rarther than one sat

for me it's a no brainer, you could even sync sats every 2 hours for sats at 55min cause eevry hour would be too much interuption as sats don't run that long

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Satellite Breaks : Morning Matthew Bates. Many people are surprised by that point (that the majority one-table), but it's a fact. The elite poker players such as you & Bearly have my full respect, & I wish you all well, but the vast majority of players live in a different world completely, & it behoves us to remember that. They are, for the most part, of course, your bread & butter, too.  A very significant part of Sky Poker traffic these days is via the Mobile App, & even you must surely realise that they are all one-tabling? As to the SNG idea, certainly worth looking at, or I would have thought so, anyway. But then you'll NOT have sync breaks anyway (SNG players don't get breaks), which, unless I am misunderstanding it, sort of defeats the idea of the thread?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    The complete lack of consistency is my problem so under my system you would have SnG sats which the 1 tablers would play and they would know that there wouldn't be breaks. In the MTT lobby all sats would have breaks, this solves the consistency issue which we currently have. 

Regarding the 1 tabling players would it not be good to get them used to the format of the target tournament and them have a 5minute break in sats?

• edited December 2014