You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flash turns to football betting.

edited December 2014 in Betting Chat
I look forward to this with interest, Flash.

I am not a big stake gambler either, just a few quid.

Having won £70 on 3 recent skybet freerolls, I did someting similar.
I found that there was some good value in La Liga an did trebles where a good team was slight odds on v a bottom of the table team.
2 of my 3 bets came good, fortunately including a £50er for a total profit of nearly £200.
(Brag over)

I will look for your bets and may use all or part of them and combine with my own picks.

Good luck

Comments

• edited December 2014
    In light of chatting with a few people and picking up sports betting tips and doing very well with them in recent weeks I've decided to actually take my sports betting a little more serious (Football mainly) and actually try and have a separate account solely for sports betting. (Obviously not on Sky though). So basically the idea of this diary is to publicly keep track of my sports betting, and if any of you like how I bet you might want to copy them.

Little history on it... I've always liked a little gamble, but I only do small bets, like £2 or £3 accas of 4 - 7 teams. One season I kept a record and did actually make a profit, the next 2 years I had an absolute mare (Luckily I didn't have a record going). I think sticking to only 3 or 4 teams maximum then decent money can be won at this. Yes the thought of putting £1 down on a 7 fold and returning 3 figures is fantastic, but the likelihood of this is simply that... 3 figures. I am going to stick to trebles mainly but bet bigger than I'm use to, and hopefully as the bankroll increases, then so will the bets. 

I logged into a sports betting account I opened for golf and found I had £70 in there. I've withdrawn £10 just to check these bookies aren't a nightmare when it comes to withdrawals and want my entire life story before they give me any money. So my initial bankroll is £60.

1st bet I had was last night: Man City, Chelsea and Celtic all to win at I think 1.53/1 or something similar. I put £20 on and it came in for £53.16. This took my bankroll to £93.16.

So starting BR £60

Current: £93.16

Now I don't claim to be an expert on football betting, I don't have any "inside knowledge", all the stats/results I use will all be from any regular website but I'll simply be doing all the homework, and like I said, if anyone likes the look of the bets, then feel free to copy.

• edited December 2014
    Today's bet:

Spartak Moscow v Rostov - 40/85 1-1
    Cadiz v Villarreal - 2/5   1-2
    Sampdoria v Brescia - 4/9    2-0

£15 bet - Potential return - £44.61

End BR - £78.16
  • edited December 2014

GL with this Charles. I will also follow with interest. It better be an improvement on your golf tips! ;) <<< smilie (just in case), but you do know me, lol.

Are you going to set yourself any targets or just go with the flow?
  • edited December 2014
    Good work Dragon! Hopefully I can follow that.

Haha, Yeah I know you Alan! :)

Umm not really as such. I think I'd like to get to around £500 and then start cashing out anything over that. At the end of the day it's all about making some money so need to cash out at some point. 

I'll just see how it goes, might be busto this time next week. lol

Just got back from the gym and sat down to see Spartak still 0-0 with 20 minutes left. Then with 18 minutes left they are 1-0 down! So not looking good for the first bet of the thread.
  • edited December 2014
    Like a little small stakes football betting myself so will also watch this thread with interest. I am no fan of large accas, i find 2 or maybe 3 games max the best, i gave up many years ago trying 4 or 5 games and over.
  • edited December 2014
    I didn't read this til spartak was half time so didn't do them.
    Put a small bet on the other 2 for almost even money.
  • edited December 2014
    I don't think it's possible to beat the bookies long term without using multiple sites. You're often looking for really small edges and need to exploit promotions and boosts wherever possible. 

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Flash turns to football betting.:
    I didn't read this til spartak was half time so didn't do them. Put a small bet on the other 2 for almost even money.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Good work, as I'm sure you're aware Spartak drew and the other 2 won! 
  • edited December 2014
    I don't think it's possible to beat the bookies long term without using multiple sites. You're often looking for really small edges and need to exploit promotions and boosts wherever possible. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'm looking at bets where I think they will come in more often than not, so as long as it's over evens I'm happy to back it... That's the idea anyway... :)
  • edited December 2014
    Good luck mate, will follow with interest.
  • edited December 2014
    Good luck Charles.

Ill be following.
  • edited December 2014
    Good luck mate will definitely follow this and post up any I do GL GL
  • ommomm
    edited December 2014
    You may be doing it already but to make sure you are getting the best Value on your bets you should be using Oddschecker to make sure you are getting the best price (there is a bet basket that you can add your teams too and it will tell you the bookie with the best odds) you can then compare this against the betfair market (which are the true odds) taking the comms ion into account you can then tell if your bet is value or not. As with most football market the bookies are rarely wrong so it's probably best to only do the bets that beat betfair, that way at least your giving yourself the best opportunity to beat their margins. You may want to look at the Asian Handicap market which is usually better value than the traditional markets. Sorry for rambling and of course only my opinion, good luck. 
  • edited December 2014
    *Disclaimer on this bet* I've only heard of 1 of these teams! But looking at league tables they all look like home bankers so here goes! haha

Dynamo Kiev v Metalurh Donetsk - 1/4    (Ukraine Premier league)  3-0
    Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv v Maccabi Herzeliya  - 1/3   (Israli 2nd division).    1-0
    1 FC Heidenheim v VfR Aalen  3/4  - (German 2nd division)  0-1

Staked £15 - Potential return - £43.75
  • edited December 2014

Pfffft!

So you've grown tired of trying to pick a winner out of 156 runners and think its going to be easier picking a winner in a 3 horse race :)

Best of luck with the new 'beat the bookies' strategy.

I will follow with interest.

• edited December 2014
    Pfffft! So you've grown tired of trying to pick a winner out of 156 runners and think its going to be easier picking a winner in a 3 horse race :) Best of luck with the new 'beat the bookies' strategy. I will follow with interest.
    Posted by TheDart
    I'll still be golf betting. Just waiting for all these mini-majors to finish and go back to the lesser quality fields :)
  • edited December 2014
    Good luck Charles.... I'll watch with interest 
  • edited December 2014
    Let down by 1 match again today, which leaves the bankroll back slightly above the starting amount on £63.16

Going to be busy tomorrow, so I'm going to place my bets now.

Manchester City v Everton   1/2.   1-0
    Derby County v Brighton   5/6.    3-0
    Preston vs Shrewsbury   4/5.         1-0

Staked £10 - Potential return £49.50

End bankroll - £102.66
  • edited December 2014
    Let down by 1 match again today, which leaves the bankroll back slightly above the starting amount on £63.16 Going to be busy tomorrow, so I'm going to place my bets now. Manchester City v Everton   1/2 Derby County v Brighton   5/6 Preston vs Shrewsbury   4/5 Staked £10 - Potential return £49.50
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Thanks Flash +1
  • edited December 2014
    Bet Details
    Receipt O/10151841/0002530
    Bet placed at 05/12/2014 22:27
    Bet Type Treble(s)
    Bet Channel Internet
    Number of lines 1
    Stake per line £10.00
    Total stake £10.00
    Settled N

Selection Details
    Class/Sport Event Type Event Market Date Selection Notes
    Football Premier League Manchester City v Everton Full Time Result 06/12/2014 17:30 Manchester City @ 1.50W
    Football Sky Bet Championship Derby v Brighton Full Time Result 06/12/2014 15:00 Derby @ 1.80W
    Football FA Cup Preston v Shrewsbury Full Time Result 06/12/2014 15:00 Preston @ 1.80W
    Back to My Account
  • edited December 2014
    Derby v Brighton   8/11
    Cardiff v Rotherham   17/20
    Raith v Livingston   5/6
    Elche v Atletico Madrid   8/15
  • edited December 2014
    Bet Details Receipt O/10151841/0002530 Bet placed at 05/12/2014 22:27 Bet Type Treble(s) Bet Channel Internet Number of lines 1 Stake per line £10.00 Total stake £10.00 Settled N Selection Details Class/Sport Event Type Event Market Date Selection Notes Football Premier League Manchester City v Everton Full Time Result 06/12/2014 17:30 Manchester City @ 1.50 W Football Sky Bet Championship Derby v Brighton Full Time Result 06/12/2014 15:00 Derby @ 1.80 W Football FA Cup Preston v Shrewsbury Full Time Result 06/12/2014 15:00 Preston @ 1.80 W Back to My Account
    Posted by wynne1938
    Boom!

Returns £48.60
  • edited December 2014
    Good work. Bankroll up over £100 now :)
  • edited December 2014
    Well done Flash
  • edited December 2014
    Right very quickly did these. Off to golf now so don't have much time 

Villa    2-1
    Bristol City   1-0
    Scunthorpe   1-1
    Cheltenham   0-1

£10 returns about £61

End BR - £92.66
  • edited December 2014
    DateBet Ref.Event / MarketSelection           Bet TypeOddsTotal StakeReturnLeg StatusResult
    8 Dec 2014 10:4022/31Spartak Moscow v Ural Sverdlovsk Oblast - Match BettingSpartak Moscow2-0Treble4/915.000.00OpenPending
      Ajax Youth v RKC Waalwijk - Match BettingAjax Youth 3-2 4/9  Open 
      Sochaux v Strasbourg - Match BettingSochaux 0-1 3/4  Open

• edited December 2014
    For above bet. £15 pays about £55 if I remember correctly.

Looked at the long list coupon, 50 matches being played today and it's still damn hard to find 3 bankers. Think this is the closest I can get. Little worried about Sochaux because it's a cup game, but they are playing a team from a division below.

Lets get back to winning ways :)
  • edited December 2014
    So i was right. Betting on the cup, always a school boy error!
  • edited December 2014
    Date Bet Ref. Event / Market Selection             Bet Type Odds Total Stake Return Leg Status Result 8 Dec 2014 10:40 22/31 Spartak Moscow v Ural Sverdlovsk Oblast - Match Betting Spartak Moscow 2-0 Treble 4/9 15.00 0.00 Open Pending     Ajax Youth v RKC Waalwijk - Match Betting Ajax Youth   3-2   4/9     Open       Sochaux v Strasbourg - Match Betting Sochaux  0-1   3/4     Open
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Wtf Charles..... Where the hell u finding these games?? Lol.... Fwiw my banker of the week is Porto (v Shaktar Donetsk).. Both teams have already qualified, but Shaktar were sooooo poor against Bilbao last time out. Totally disinterested, and they've got their best two players suspended. 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Flash turns to football betting. : Wtf Charles..... Where the hell u finding these games?? Lol.... Fwiw my banker of the week is Porto (v Shaktar Donetsk).. Both teams have already qualified, but Shaktar were sooooo poor against Bilbao last time out. Totally disinterested, and they've got their best two players suspended. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Haha, I use sky bet whopper long list coupon to find the matches, it's so much easier to navigate than any other site. Then I use a site called Soccerway that has all the league tables from every division imaginable and all their results and a quick look at current form.

Cheers for the tip, I'll have a look at lunch. had a quick look last night and there seem to be a few more bankers today.